Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 09:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018

Ducati has unveiled its entire range of MY2019 motorcycles at an international conference ahead of EICMA 2018. Among three new motorcycles announced at the event is the Hypermotard 950 and 950SP, replacements for the 939 currently offered. Ducati claims it to be the 'fun bike' in their range.

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-hypermotard950spmy19torino07gallery1920x1080.jpg

The new Hypermotard gets a more aggressive look than its predecessor though it still maintains the road going dirt-bike Supermoto character.

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-01_ducatihypermotard950spaction.jpg

Also new on the new model in terms of design elements is an underseat exhaust -

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-messageeditor2f154111313618709_ducatihypermotard950spaction.jpg

The Hypermotard 950 family is equipped with a revised version of the 937cc twin-cylinder Ducati Testastretta 11°. The revised engine is lighter by 1.5 kg and outputs 4 horsepower than its predecessor, achieving 114hp@9,000rpm and 9.8kgm@7,250rpm.

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-hypermotard950spmy19motore01carouselimg677x740.jpg

Available in two models - the standard version and the SP. The Hypermotard 950 SP comes with a unique red and white livery, a flat seat, increased-travel Ohlins suspension (+15 mm at the front and +25 mm at the rear), Marchesini forged wheels and Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) Up and Down EVO. Seat height is 870mm on the standards, and 890mm on the SP version.

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-messageeditor2f154111321678912_hypermotard9502.jpg

Updated electronics package includes a 4.3" TFT display, Daytime Running Light (DRL), 3 riding modes, Bosch 6 axis IMU, Bosch Cornering ABS , Ducati Traction Control (DTC) EVO and Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC) EVO.

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-messageeditor2f154111344780125_hypermotard950.jpg

SP version also comes with carbon fibre front mudguards and timing belt covers to achieve a weight reduction of 2kgs over the standard version.

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-06_ducatihypermotard950spaction.jpg

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-12_ducatihypermotard950spaction.jpg

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-messageeditor2f154111367361316_hypermotard950sp_action_34.jpg

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-hypermotard950spmy19ambience09gallery1920x1080.jpg

Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018-messageeditor2f154111304306625_ducatihypermotard950spaction.jpg

Ducati offers the Hypermotard in India as a CBU from Thailand, and the new generation 950 is expected to be launched next year.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ducati unveils Hypermotard 950 ahead of EICMA 2018

I am wondering what is the actual application of this category of bikes ( maybe regular bikers can tell me ).

The high seating + suspension travel makes me think this is more of an off road/trail/bad road kind of bike. The nice and smooth tyre tread pattern suggests its for the track. But the first 2 attributes again makes it not really ideal for the track.

So practically speaking ( other than doing those opp lock slides and the stoppies ending on a woman's face ), how is this bike to be put to proper use ?

Thanks.
Old 5th November 2018, 09:49   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I am wondering what is the actual application of this category of bikes ( maybe regular bikers can tell me ).

The high seating + suspension travel makes me think this is more of an off road/trail/bad road kind of bike. The nice and smooth tyre tread pattern suggests its for the track. But the first 2 attributes again makes it not really ideal for the track.

So practically speaking ( other than doing those opp lock slides and the stoppies ending on a woman's face ), how is this bike to be put to proper use ?

Thanks.
From my extremely limited experience (extended test rides only) with a Ducati Hypermotard and an Aprilia Dorsoduro, I can vouch for a fact that these kind of motorcycles scream maximum F-U-N due to their hooligan-nature. After all, FUN is what motorcycling is all about. The Hypermotard will most definitely plaster a wide grin on a rider's face.

Like you said, they are neither meant for the track nor for offroading/touring, but most riders use big motorcycles for short breakfast rides or day rides only. For such occasions, a fun-to-ride motorcycle is what matters. In India, this segment is extremely small. However, the supermoto segment is popular in mainland Europe with corner carvers. The fact that you can enjoy a supermoto going sideways only adds to the drama.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
From my extremely limited experience (extended test rides only) with a Ducati Hypermotard and an Aprilia Dorsoduro, I can vouch for a fact that these kind of motorcycles scream maximum F-U-N due to their hooligan-nature. After all, FUN is what motorcycling is all about. The Hypermotard will most definitely plaster a wide grin on a rider's face.
Thanks for replying nicely. I was praying I won't get flamed by some hardcore bikers

I agree with you on the FUN part. For e.g - I had a RD350 for a year nearly in my mid twenties. I would have probably used the bike to its 30-40% potential. Sold it out of frustration with myself.

I am assuming, in the same way, most of the few people who buy this bike, will never probably pull a power slide like shown in this picture. But atleast people who see them own this bike will think that's what they were doing.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I was praying I won't get flamed by some hardcore bikers
I doubt if there are any owners on the forum.

I have seen more than a couple of Hypermotard owners in Bangalore though, and see them mostly in Ducati ride events. Hope one of the Multistrada owners here had an interaction with them and can post why exactly they bought the Hypermotard.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I can vouch for a fact that these kind of motorcycles scream maximum F-U-N due to their hooligan-nature. After all, FUN is what motorcycling is all about. The Hypermotard will most definitely plaster a wide grin on a rider's face.

Like you said, they are neither meant for the track nor for offroading/touring, but most riders use big motorcycles for short breakfast rides or day rides only. For such occasions, a fun-to-ride motorcycle is what matters. In India, this segment is extremely small. However, the supermoto segment is popular in mainland Europe with corner carvers. The fact that you can enjoy a supermoto going sideways only adds to the drama.

Supermoto = Hooligan bike. USA and especially Europe its a great bike style and platform. Of all the supermoto bikes out there, the Husqavarna 701, KTM690 SM and Suzuki DRZ-400SM are the top SM's. The Hyper is a fun bike, but too heavy.
Old 5th November 2018, 12:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I have seen more than a couple of Hypermotard owners in Bangalore though, and see them mostly in Ducati ride events. Hope one of the Multistrada owners here had an interaction with them and can post why exactly they bought the Hypermotard.
I have spoken to a few of them and one of my friends is very interested in picking up the new Hyper when it launches in India.

Hypermotard is a hooligan bike as some have pointed out - it gives wheelies on demand. You can have a lot of fun on this - and with the optional panniers & a touring windscreen - it becomes a quite decent tourer as well. It doesnt really have any competiton in India - atleast until Duke 790 is launched.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hypermotard is insanely fun to ride, riding posture is comfortable, not too heavy and brut acceleration and is fun on twisties. Thanks to Mcgregor and the long way round touring bikes took off, but slowly people wanted something lighter with the same go anywhere attitude which and a look of a motocross bike and that’s where Hypermotard fits in.

I am not sure how it would hold up on long rides, as there is no protection from the wind and you need to be a size zero to get ur butt on those seats. Carrying a pillion who is anything over 25 years old would be a instant breakup for a ride more than 1 hour.

Maddy
Old 6th November 2018, 12:33   #9
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not sure if there are any Hypermotard owners on the forum, but fellow bhpian fiorano88 owns a Hyperstrada and fellow bhpian HappySmiles owned a Dorsoduro few years back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks