Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 12:22   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'

A disruptive pricing of 6.99 lacs as introductory price would see them move decent numbers. Wishful thinking though.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th April 2019 at 13:35. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 18:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

That's the price it costs in the country its manufactured. There's a lot of costs involved in shipping bikes in containers across countries, plus paying the assembly workers at the factory, the assembly overheads, the transport vehicles, the govt some money etc etc.

Besides why is anyone expecting a 2018 model to cost less than a 2015 one? Everywhere around the world the pricing is up between 15 to 45k on the outgoing model. Save for the engine and maybe the swingarm, its a new bike altogether.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 13th April 2019 at 18:46.
Old 14th April 2019, 00:16   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
That's the price it costs in the country its manufactured. There's a lot of costs involved in shipping bikes in containers across countries, plus paying the assembly workers at the factory, the assembly overheads, the transport vehicles, the govt some money etc etc.

Besides why is anyone expecting a 2018 model to cost less than a 2015 one? Everywhere around the world the pricing is up between 15 to 45k on the outgoing model. Save for the engine and maybe the swingarm, its a new bike altogether.
I know and agree to all that, that is why i said disruptive pricing to begin with, as an introducory price for maybe 2-3 months.

Honda just got pushed to Number three in two wheeler segment first time in 7 years in India, i know that is mainly scooter business, but they need to think ahead. If nothing else atleast a 7.49 price point, though i konw it will start at 7.99.
Old 14th April 2019, 12:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I know and agree to all that, that is why i said disruptive pricing to begin with, as an introducory price for maybe 2-3 months.

Honda just got pushed to Number three in two wheeler segment first time in 7 years in India, i know that is mainly scooter business, but they need to think ahead. If nothing else atleast a 7.49 price point, though i konw it will start at 7.99.
The CBR650F price started at 7.34 and was increased to 7.54 lakhs. Knowing Honda, it will not be a disruptive pricing and best case they can start at the above prices or worst case it would be 7.99.

But with the more committed riding position, it might go out of the sports tourer category.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
The seating position is certainly a lot more aggressive than the CBR650F. I got first-hand inputs from a CBR650F owner who had checked out the CBR650R in France, at an auto show.

Due to this, I feel that it makes the Honda a completely different type of motorcycle as compared to the Duke 790 or even the Kawa Z900. Both bikes can be relatively easy commuters, but the Honda is suitable only for the highways.

Also the seating position being a lot more committed would mean that riders need to be in shape to do justice to the usage of the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
But with the more committed riding position, it might go out of the sports tourer category.
Came across a scintillating review from Bennetts, which contained this gem of a comparison between the seating position of the 2018 CBR650F and the 2019 CBR650R.

I would suggest prospective buyers to verify this by checking out a display/TD bike, however, this representation does provide some visibility about how the revised seating position would feel.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-15cbr-riding-position.jpg

Image Source: Bennetts Review of the 2019 Honda CBR650R

Last edited by GoBlue : 15th April 2019 at 12:44.
Old 15th April 2019, 17:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Came across a scintillating review from Bennetts, which contained this gem of a comparison between the seating position of the 2018 CBR650F and the 2019 CBR650R.

I would suggest prospective buyers to verify this by checking out a display/TD bike, however, this representation does provide some visibility about how the revised seating position would feel.
I had read that review earlier but it is getting sportier in each iteration. 2018 CBR650F was sportier than the previous version. CBR650R is now even sportier. The handlebars are placed lower and forward. A neutral riding stance like either the Ninja 650 or Ninja 1000 can be boon on all roads. The current CBR650R's riding stance might still take a toll on the wrists when one comes across some traffic.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:25   #52
BHPian

I think at the price it is rumoured to come in at, the 2019 model will surely appeal to a lot of the crowd. An inline-4 fully-faired Japanese bike has a huge drool factor for Indian shoppers and being a solid 2-odd lacs cheaper than the ZX6R the bike will find a lot of takers.

While on the machine bit you cannot go wrong with a Honda, i wish the showrooms get their act together on making the sales experience considerably more premium than what it currently is. I have heard good things from owners of the previous model 650F on maintenance costs and hopefully that plus should continue with the new bike as well.

If they indeed price is sub 9 lacs then Kawasaki will see some prospective 6R crowd swing towards Honda (performance deficit notwithstanding) just basis the VFM bit

Last edited by narula123 : 17th April 2019 at 12:32.
Old 17th April 2019, 19:28   #53
Team-BHP Support

I would also urge Honda that they launch the naked version of the 650. The CB 650F, I am sure it will have a lot of takers for a realistic price of say ~8L OTR or a bit lesser.
Old 19th April 2019, 15:54   #54

Hey folks, just got to know through a source at Honda Bigwing Gurgaon that the 650R would have a 7.7L ex-showroom here. We can do the rest of the math for OTR pricing which should fall between 8.7-8.8.

The only disappointment for me is the downtuned performance (88hp) in India because of local assembling and fuel quality I believe, whereas the European buyers will get the 95PS version. Coupled with dual air dam churning out 5% more peak power at higher revs (claimed bit by Honda) it should grab hold of some 100 horses. How much can we tweak the power output on our shores, remains to be seen.
And BTW 3 months waiting period.
rayden_228 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 22:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Detune is bad news, as it stands it is going to be competing with Z900 on price point, and when it comes to power out put the Z900 is way ahead.

Let's see how this pans out.
Old 20th April 2019, 08:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
I think at the price it is rumoured to come in at, the 2019 model will surely appeal to a lot of the crowd. An inline-4 fully-faired Japanese bike has a huge drool factor for Indian shoppers and being a solid 2-odd lacs cheaper than the ZX6R the bike will find a lot of takers.
IS this the right comparison? The 6R seems to be an all out Super Sports whereas the 650R is a Sports Tourer
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 10:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
IS this the right comparison? The 6R seems to be an all out Super Sports whereas the 650R is a Sports Tourer
When we have armchair experts comparing this fully faired sports tourer with a naked street bike (read Kawa Z) and declaring the latter a winner based on HP figures, this is a relatively saner comparison.
Added_flavor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 12:13   #58

Quote:
Detune is bad news, as it stands it is going to be competing with Z900 on price point, and when it comes to power out put the Z900 is way ahead.

Let's see how this pans out.
Brother you are comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different bikes with different power bands fulfilling different needs.

But yes, three-digit-power-figures are always good to have and I really hope the R scores better than the F in the performance department at least. With the downtuned fiasco, now I am doubting that. Otherwise, I will be inclined to go for a used SuperSport (frankly because there aren't any legal middleweight in-line fully-faired bikes available).

Still, eagerly waiting for test rides, before I put the hard earned money on the table, which as I am being told will start from May 1st week onwards
Old 20th April 2019, 18:24   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
When we have armchair experts comparing this fully faired sports tourer with a naked street bike (read Kawa Z) and declaring the latter a winner based on HP figures, this is a relatively saner comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayden_228 View Post
Brother you are comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different bikes with different power bands fulfilling different needs.

But yes, three-digit-power-figures are always good to have and I really hope the R scores better than the F in the performance department at least. With the downtuned fiasco, now I am doubting that. Otherwise, I will be inclined to go for a used SuperSport (frankly because there aren't any legal middleweight in-line fully-faired bikes available).

Still, eagerly waiting for test rides, before I put the hard earned money on the table, which as I am being told will start from May 1st week onwards
Not everyone thinks in a similar manner, and again it's just a cost and power comparison and nothing beyond that, we might not, but loads of people do that. We have seen how much cbr 650f sold anyway. I don't have problem with the cost, it was pretty much on the expected lines, and would not have cost less. Honda is happy to sustain the numbers they are doing currently, and this cost will sustain those numbers, my gripe is why detune.

Point about whether 88 bhp is more then enough for our roads is moot when I am paying more then the world anyway pays, and still get an underpowered product, compared to the world. I am against this and do not support this.
Old 21st April 2019, 11:13   #60
BHPian

Quote:
my gripe is why detune.
Although I agree with you, Honda attribute the slight detune to the lower fuel quality available in our country. Even the CBR 650F churns out marginally lesser power compared to the global model.

Most Viewed