Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 01:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'

Honda has unveiled the new CBR 650R at EICMA 2018. The updated model gets sportier revisions and replaces the CBR 650F in the existing lineup.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-c5_r.jpg

The new front end seems inspired by the CBR 1000RR, and features full LED headlights.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-c3_r.jpg

The rear continues to be minimalist as earlier, with LED stoplamps and Emergency Stop Signal technology. The system detects sudden braking and automatically activates the front and rear hazard lights, which flash to warn any nearby vehicles.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-c4-1.jpg

CBR 650R is powered by a 649cc, Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 16-valve, DOHC inline-4 cylinder engine that produces 95ps@12000rpm and 64Nm@8500rpm. Power is up by 5% compared to the outgoing version and Honda claims that the new exhaust enables a better sounding machine as well.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-original-1.jpeg

Braking duties are handled by 310 mm discs x 4.5 mm disc with four piston calipers at the front and 240 mm disc x 5 mm disc with single piston caliper at the rear. Dual channel ABS is standard.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-c4-2.jpg

Suspension duties are handled by 41mm Showa separate function forks (SFF USD) at the front and a Monoshock damper with adjustable preload and 43.5mm of stroke at the rear.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-c4-3.jpg

Instrumentation receives a much needed update. The LED console shows Digital Speedometer, Digital Bar Graph Tachometer, Dual Trip Meters, Digital Bar Graph Fuel Gauge ,Gear position, Shift UP Indicator and a Digital Clock.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-original.jpeg

With these updates, Honda claims to have put the 'R' into the CBR 650.

Quote:
Born on the racetrack, turning heads on the street.
Drawn directly from the sport style of the Fireblade, the CBR650R has honed its racetrack DNA for aggressive road performance. The step and handlebars have been readjusted to give you the optimal riding position to easily manage the accelerations, decelerations, and cornering that come with tackling thrilling winding roads, and the front tyre has been reweighted to improve the bike’s turn-in capability. Up front piercing dual LED headlights fill out the tightly wrapped fairing, mirrored by the minimal seat unit. And the electrifying roar of the exhaust chasing the redline will make your hair stand on end.

Addictive four-cylinder power at its very best.
Let’s talk facts. The peak power of this beast has been boosted to 93bhp/69.6kW. But there’s an easy conversion available from Honda dealers to make it A2 licence friendly. The CBR650R leads its class in power-to-weight ratio. The 63.4Nm torque is exceptional, and the redline is now 12,000rpm. The inline four-cylinder DOHC 16-valve engine attracts attention. An Assist/Slipper Clutch eases upshifts and manages hard down changes, while Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) maintains rear wheel traction so you can focus on racing through turns. The twin-duct intake system features improvements to the interior structure of the air cleaners, and increased tailpipe diameter produces piercing pick-up response from around 7,000 rpm.

High performance means high specification.
Although it was inspired by the CBR1000RR, the CBR650R has gone in a direction of its own, and it takes its specification up several gears to match. Thanks to an adjusted fuel tank capacity, a redesigned step, and complete LED lighting, the CBR650R is 5.4 kg lighter than its predecessor. Dual front headlights outline the bike’s aggressive angles. Handlebars clip-on below the top Bridge, and the instruments feature a digital LCD display.
EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-c4.jpg

The model is expected to replace the CBR650F in the Indian market as well, sometime next year - with prices at a slight premium to the 7.37L ex-showroom tag of the outgoing version.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 12:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'

Walkaround video -

Skip to the second half for CBR650R.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 20:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

I haven't been able to sleep for the last 24 hours. i had made up my mind to buy a car(City or Jazz) as i get near to my 30s but then my hopes of the 650F getting a Fireblade design facelift actually materialised and its not just cosmetic but performance boost aswell.

I just hope HMSI give us multiple color options and not restrict it to batches of 1 or 2 color choices again. With this my itch to own a used Fireblade also gets put to rest. Finding a properly maintained litre bike for depreciation calculated used market value is a pipe dream sadly.

I'm expecting the price to be rounded out to 8 lakhs ex showroom now with the host of new parts on it which would be a bummer considering that the onroad price in KA would hit 9.5 to 10 lakhs ��

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 7th November 2018 at 21:00.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 23:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I'm expecting the price to be rounded out to 8 lakhs ex showroom now with the host of new parts on it which would be a bummer considering that the onroad price in KA would hit 9.5 to 10 lakhs ��
I think the price could be competitive this time around, as taking it to 8L brings it close to the litre class Ninja at 9.98L.

And then there is the ZX6R 636 coming in at around 10 lakhs as well (hopefully).

CBR looks to be a very desirable product now - and the only thing that can go wrong is pricing. Honda priced the Africa Twin pretty sweet, so one can always hope.
Old 7th November 2018, 23:21   #5
BANNED

I have waited three years hoping an upgrade to the current CBR and last week after running out of patience got one and now😯...This is frustrating
dilipkumar7278 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 23:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Come on honda price it at 6.99 lacs ex-showroom and make an impression.
Old 8th November 2018, 02:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think the price could be competitive this time around, as taking it to 8L brings it close to the litre class Ninja at 9.98L.

And then there is the ZX6R 636 coming in at around 10 lakhs as well (hopefully).
2 lakhs is a considerable difference for many owners aspiring a middleweight sportsbike.
I honestly don't see HMSI retain the current bike's price tag for next year's model because they did that when they launched the 2017 650F and didn't jack up the pricing then. Now with all manufacturers jacking up the price lately it is definitely going to be more expensive. Then there's the fact that the bike gets a ton of upgraded components like the lighter frame, adjustable Showa upside down forks, revised engine with 1000 rpm more and 8 more ponies, new bodywork, new wheels, dual led headlamps, new lcd display and even electronics(HSTC).
Knowing HMSI they'd glady demand 1 lakh more on the existing bike for the new parts but the bean counters will probably ask them to round up at 8 so it remains an attractive proposition.

I also don't see Kawa pricing the 636 anywhere this side of 10 lakhs. Its probably going to sit with the old Daytona price slot. But then again the 636 is mechanically the old model so maybe Kawa can afford to price it just under 12 lakhs ex showroom. Its probably going to be sold in small batches like the AT's 60 units.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 08:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
2 lakhs is a considerable difference for many owners aspiring a middleweight sportsbike.
True, but when spending 9L onroad for a lifetime dream, another 2L for a significant upgrade is not much in EMI terms too!

I'm really hoping they bring the CB650R this time around. Looks brilliant in the latest avatar, has all the inline4 goodness, and with a lower entry point - will be the death knell for the likes of the Benelli 600i.

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'-2019hondacb650r.jpg
Old 8th November 2018, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Isn't there a hefty price difference between the road taxes/insurance between the 1000 and 650? Also considering how affordable the 650F's servicing is as opposed to Kawa's spare prices, in the long run one would end up saving a lot more than the 2-3 lakhs initial price difference?

There was not much difference between the naked and the faired 650F pricing worldwide. I think it was 30k(15000 thai baht) or so back then. So if the CBR model sat at 8 then the naked (which most probably wont be sold here) would be at 7.7 ex showroom. Not much of a difference which is probably why HMSI only sell the faired bike.

EDIT: The all black model is so bloody gorgeous. Would look even better with the seat cowl on!

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 8th November 2018 at 13:20.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 19:06   #10
BHPian

Rather than a cosmetic upgrade, the new R model is a significant upgrade over the old model in terms of the features (USD forks, slipper clutch, Traction control, etc.,).

Few critics of 650F say that it is not as aggressive as others. In fact one of the magazines was saying that it is not as aggressive as CBR 600RR. Well, 650F is a sports tourer and so it has been designed to have a calm behavior and have a fine balance between comfort and being sportier. For example, it has longer gear ratios and that is what required for touring comfort. Honda could have put a much shorter gearing for making it more sportier, but that was not the design goal for the 650F. With the newer one, is Honda tilting the balance more towards aggressive sport riding ? It looks like that, but we need to wait and watch when it comes to the market.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 23:53   #11
BHPian

EICMA 2018: Honda unveils the new CBR 650 'R'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
I have waited three years hoping an upgrade to the current CBR and last week after running out of patience got one and now😯...This is frustrating

Chill bro, there's always something better, you have the bike you wanted, nothing else counts, there'll be improvements, supposedly better models, that's all immaterial. You bought it when you wanted it. Now ride.

Last edited by Surajit333 : 8th November 2018 at 23:55.
Surajit333 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 07:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Chill bro, there's always something better, you have the bike you wanted, nothing else counts, there'll be improvements, supposedly better models, that's all immaterial. You bought it when you wanted it. Now ride.
Rightly said. Also, if worry is about power difference, the marginal increase in power will make no difference on the road. You can always increase the power by going for few mods. If I am not wrong, I think the power can be increased more than 90 ps at the crank. I remember reading some where that modded CBR 650F was making close to 90 ps at the wheel. Just one mod can make the bike more aggressive - change the sprocket size and you will see significant increase in torque all around the rpm range.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:27   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Also, if worry is about power difference, the marginal increase in power will make no difference on the road.
As per some articles, the extra power comes because the rev limiter has been moved up by 1000rpm.

So difference may not be felt on normal usage, except may be on the track.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 15:54   #14
BHPian

What a hoot! can't wait to see these on Indian roads. Hope they price it right around the 8L mark. With India's fervent lust for all things faired, the looks alone will drive its sales as against the Z900. I wonder if that twin headlight set up can be retrofitted onto the current version lol
Old 9th November 2018, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of the 5 models showcased today CBR650R will be launched in India in early 2019,
- Y S Guleria, Senior Vice President, sales and marketing at Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Pvt (HMSI).
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks