Team-BHP - MV Agusta F3 800: Front brake allegedly jams, Mumbai rider dead
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   MV Agusta F3 800: Front brake allegedly jams, Mumbai rider dead (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/204417-mv-agusta-f3-800-front-brake-allegedly-jams-mumbai-rider-dead.html)

Confused. How could the front brake jam, unless it was applied by the rider?

https://www.mid-day.com/articles/mum...s-death/400866

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 4505587)
Confused. How could the front brake jam, unless it was applied by the rider?

https://www.mid-day.com/articles/mum...s-death/400866

Now sure about how things are on an MV Agusta but on regular motorcycles if there is even minor contact between the rotor and pads then that would lead to the system overheating and eventually resulting in a lockup.

Have experienced the same on my P220 when I'd gone for a Honda Unicorn front brake lever instead of the OEM option, the Honda lever had very less depression where the piston rests compared to the Bajaj lever, hence inadvertently the front brake was applied due to the release port being blocked, for city runs it was not enough to be noticeable, but a short while on the highway and you'll notice the engine note getting thumpier and the front end going lower and lower until the front end locks up for good.

BTW, the same could be the result of aftermarket CNC levers not designed for the motorcycle as I have experience with the same as well.

Thanks for sharing, John! This could be a serious problem, hence moving it out to a new thread.

This has been all over all our rider groups since Sunday. The incident is really quite tragic.

In terms of the mid - day report, there is indeed a long history of issues with this bike that the rider had even posted it on social media. This is the post from facebook that I had come across long ago and then found in a recent search. I think there may be some serious pressure on the Agusta dealer here on account of this incident and a more detailed inquiry would certainly be in order.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/zoheb.merch...59841001064295

S O S :- ..._ _ _...
#Indianridercommunity
#teammbrindia #mvagusta #mv #f3800 #mvagustaindia #mvagustaitaly #mvagustadubai #mvagustaworldwide #mvagustaclub #sbk #community @zigwheels @indiabikeweek @overdrive @burn @

A new issue has come up in my MV Agusta again. A few days back I went for a ride, again this bike gave me a bad experience through all of the ride. Cannot trust the bike aymore.

While riding on the highway suddenly while on the speed of about 80-90kmph it’s acceleration got failed, I don’t know how many time I have to go through all this.

I am seriously fed up with your so called MVAgusta F3 800 the failure bike of the world

And I make sure everyone in the world not only in India
Should know about this bike failure

Following are the problems that I have faced after I purchased this bike.
1) clutch got failure on the very first day that I immediately notify to Mr. SWANAD SATHE SERVICE Engineer.
2) The swing arm broke down in few months and I still have not received any clarification as to why it happened. Only came to hear from your company representative that it’s first time in MV Agusta history and for that two people came to see and examine how and why it happened.
If it’s my fault then why did the company bear the fixtures. Swing arm is not a small part of the bike. Anyways still expecting a response from the company.
3) The recent one being accelerator failure.
4) The company representative never bother to take this issue seriously they appoint new person to talk with us every time. And company MD Ajinkya Firodya is so busy man that during the time when I was buying this bike he had 3 telephonic conversation with me. And now when the bike has issues and problem, there is no sort of service available. He is not bother to even answer my call.
I feel it is wrong to make your customers suffer after the sale your bikes, with no service. I have paid above 2 million rupees for this bike, you call them superbikes, but this bike has become a life threatening machine now. The company is dealing the service issues like I have purchased a bicycle. This is not expected from an esteemed organisation like them.

I need an answer for all this. I request riders and superbike communities to help a fellow rider out by sharing it as much as you can.

Stop fooling people

The article mentioned this, “ According to his friends, since he bought it, he'd faced the same defect twice, which is an electric malfunction that jams the front tyre disc.“

Could this be an ABS issue?

I am not sure how fast or slow was he riding. What I don't understand why was he riding the bike if it had such a serious issue? If you knew your vehicle had issues which had not been fixed, why to ride it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal (Post 4505820)
I am not sure how fast or slow was he riding. What I don't understand why was he riding the bike if it had such a serious issue? If you knew your vehicle had issues which had not been fixed, why to ride it?

How else will you identify if the issues have been resolved or not? By parking it at home?

I dont know the rider but this was a point of discussion on the Street Triple group whatsapp group. The gentleman who passed away was riding right behind one of the members of the group who witnessed the crash in his RVMs and later shared some details. I can neither verify nor deny these details but I am sharing what I believe is 100% correct information and not some forward of a forward of a biking group.

As per the details received
- The bike had many problems in the past (listed in a post above).
- The initial belief was that the front brake was jammed and the bike banged into a post.
- Helmet was not strapped on.
- When they lifted his bike after the accident, the wheels were jammed.
- Petrol was leaking.
- The rider was alive then they put him into the car to be taken to the hospital.

My first assumption in the absence of other details was that the front jammed wheels would have been an outcome of the accident and not the probable cause. But MV Agustas are not definitely not known to be reliable in India (or even abroad for that matter) and Ive heard first hand from very seasoned riders who have had negative experiences with their bikes.

Today, there was an update from the same gentleman who said that another rider who was behind in the group witnessed that the MV F3 owner overshot the corner and its not the bike's fault. I usually dont partake and share such details shared over whatsapp which I cannot personally verify but the source here appears to be genuine and is known to other group members. Had this thread not been put up, I would not have shared what I got to know.

The problem with these crash stories is that unless one is riding right next to the rider involved in the crash or there is video evidence, a true account of the chain of events that led to the crash is very hard to decipher.
The Italians are known to be finicky and do throw random errors/problems here or there when riding.
Having said this, rider error/on road conditions are most often the cause of a crash. Either to fast, misjudging a turn, blind spots, not seen by others on the road etc.
Unfortunately, you never really know if the cause of the crash is the former or the latter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 4505799)
The article mentioned this, “ According to his friends, since he bought it, he'd faced the same defect twice, which is an electric malfunction that jams the front tyre disc.“

Could this be an ABS issue?

An ABS failure cannot jam the wheel since the circuitry doesn't allow for brake pressure keep in case of electrical failure or component failure. It could be something else like a failed caliper/lever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4505844)
I dont know the rider but this was a point of discussion on the Street Triple group whatsapp group..

From accounts described, a wheel jamming would definitely be much more abrupt than someone correcting lean angles on a corner which has been overshot. Was there such a last moment correction(unless of course the rider was completely blind sided)?

A wheel jamming and that too the front wheel, would be akin to the bike literally snapping into an opposite stance somewhat both vertically and horizontally.That said,I realise these details are hard to be clinically captured by an eye-witness especially in fleeting moments, but might help nonetheless.

Saddened to see another biker succumb to a fateful injury.No excuse for not having helmet snapped on.Who knows..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal (Post 4505820)
What I don't understand why was he riding the bike if it had such a serious issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4505828)
How else will you identify if the issues have been resolved or not? By parking it at home?

I am in agreement with Mayank. @ Red Liner: At the very least then, don't take it out on the highway! City rides at lower speeds are much safer if you are trying to look for problems on your bike.

After reading some posts on this thread, I would never buy or recommend an MV Agusta to anyone. An unreliable car will leave you stranded by the road (worst case). An unreliable bike with mechanical failure will have more severe consequences. No, I'm not saying that the bike was at fault here as we're still not sure, but what I'm sure about is an unreliable bike being too risky. And MV Agusta's track record in reliability is shaky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4506158)
An unreliable car will leave you stranded by the road (worst case).

Well, With something as critical as braking trouble, I wouldn't want to experiment and find out in a car on highway conditions either.

My risk appetite isn't that high sorry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayans80 (Post 4506177)
Well, With something as critical as braking trouble, I wouldn't want to experiment and find out in a car on highway conditions either.

My risk appetite isn't that high sorry:

I wonder if the risk appetite would be much lower in the city, everything else remaining the same. There are higher chances of being run over in the city than on the highway after a fall from the bike. Infact if you are wearing proper riding gear, a fall from a bike would give you friction burns or worse a few broken bones.

I highly doubt the wheel jamming theory though. Our accident investigation capability and techniques are pretty rudimentary. The tyre could be jammed after the accident for a number of reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4505828)

A high-speed ride on the highway with an unstrapped helmet etc is definitely not the way though.

And with a bike that was facing so many issues that the rider himself considered it unsafe, then I would just park my bike at the showroom or whatever.

Protecting your life should be a higher priority.

But again the everything is speculation, whether the bike had some issue that caused the crash or did the rider mess up or a combination of both is uncertain. Again highlights the need of proper gear from head to toe.