Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:48   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Had to load it with glass wool to keep it muffled. They were very good for the city though.
Mahesh, a OT question

Do you still get glass wool ? Last time I needed, it was available with most of the fridge repairers.

Now i need it again, wher do you think I can get it

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:57   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Mahesh, a OT question

Do you still get glass wool ? Last time I needed, it was available with most of the fridge repairers.

Now i need it again, wher do you think I can get it

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram Sir,
Generally I used to go to Kamaraj Road to buy them. If my memory is correct there is this shop called National Electric or National Fridge Repair. Used to buy it from them. Used to suffice for me. To be honest I had bought it for my RD.
Since there was sufficient quantity left, used it regularly for my TB.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:59   #483
BHPian

I found these mufflers acceptable in terms of sound levels, sound quality and dimensions. Opinions?

Old 22nd February 2019, 15:22   #484
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Explorations have begun.. This looks like a regular goldie replica but front side back.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2019, 15:59   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
My personal take is EXHAUST NOTE in an important part of a motorcycle. I donot like very silent bikes, Not do i like very loud ones. The best balance which i came across was a bonnie 865 with Triumph off-road slip-ons (TORs). It was music, and just the right note, loudness, tone and bass which morphed nicely at different RPMs, credit to that butterly smooth engine as well. To put it in perspective, it was very slightly louder then OEM exhaust note of the interceptor at idle and had a nice growl as the revs went up. Not loud enough to hurt riders or others on road like how bonnie with arrow does, esp without the DB killer.
+1 to this. I run the TORs on my Bonnie 865. I believe its the perfect balance, even compared to the Arrows - Looks fully stock, Pretty subdued yet bassy at idle/low revs/cruising speeds, growls well when opened up. One of the best investments on my Bonnie
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:13   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Go ahead with the plunge, guess if you book now deliveries are expected in the month of June/July.
I might be able to pull some strings and get it bit early hence not too worried about the timeline.
But am a little apprehensive about a few issues seen by others - instrument cluster lights/ switches behaving erratic after a wash,
fuel level indicator being inaccurate. What's your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Mahesh, a OT question
Ram
Sir, you can easily get it in few shops in JC Road but what I know is that it's not the same quality as the one used by RE. Does the job though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What happened to your Vstrom plans? If it's only the service issue you're worried about, let me know.
Long story - got bitten by the Tiger but realized that I need another 1-2 years to keep it going the way I want to, even with a used one

So, the INT 650 fits the bill and I can manage the usual touring jugaad.
I still need to take a long long test ride to make sure am not buying something just because it's affordable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cags View Post
I found these mufflers acceptable in terms of sound levels, sound quality and dimensions. Opinions?
What might be music to our ears, may not exactly suit the motorcycle's system - exhaust engineering is a complex science and it's better to wait for RE or someone with expertise to launch the exhausts, with possibly different ECU map.
While the ones being released here might look or sound good, it will certainly have an impact on the torque curve and possibly on the valves. This used to be lot of fun and easy with the carb fueling system to adjust the AF ratio but the game's different with EFI systems.

Last edited by katoom : 22nd February 2019 at 16:25. Reason: Quoted another post
katoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:22   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Long story - got bitten by the Tiger but realized that I need another 1-2 years to keep it going the way I want to, even with a used one
I am amazed. I know we're derailing this thread, but could you tell me why the tiger bit you?
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:42   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am amazed. I know we're derailing this thread, but could you tell me why the tiger bit you?

Sorry for the deviation folks.

In a nutshell, VStrom's weakest link would be the suspension I believe.
That and add few riding modes (switchable ABS!) in the XRX (I want the tubeless tire advantage), power/torque which wont bore me for at least a decade plus the proven engine makes the Tiger a good lifetime option for me (despite some of the downsides).

Will PM you, it's a good discussion

Last edited by katoom : 22nd February 2019 at 16:43. Reason: Typo fixed
katoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 17:33   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Navin for your kind words.
Believe you are asking me more on the LET (Low End Torque). Well the Bike has decent LET and can pull effortlessly from speeds of 45 Kays in its highest gear without any jerks or snatches.

Hopefully that responds to your query? Else do ask for more.
Mahesh mate I meant to ask about FTC(Flat Torque Curve) and not LET characteristic of the 650 twin motor.

For example FTC helps the bike to accelerate from speeds as low as 30 KMPH to 120 KMPH on 4th or 5th or 6th gear. One doesn't need to downshift at speeds of 30KMPH from 4th gear to 3rd or 2nd or 1st, thanks to FTC which helps the bike roll without jerking or stalling.

I am specifically asking this question to you as you've owned RE's in the past. TBird500 has a little bit of FTC and so do the oldies like G1, G2 and B1 STD 350's. As a fellow owner of different RE motorcycles I wanted to know how the twin 650 behaves when it comes FTC behavior.

P.S. Before someone points out about coasting, lugging, etc. the engine kindly take time to search for my posts w.r.t FTC on TeamBHP.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 17:51   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
But am a little apprehensive about a few issues seen by others - instrument cluster lights/ switches behaving erratic after a wash,
fuel level indicator being inaccurate. What's your experience?
Hi,
From my experience, if you spray water directly on any electrical points am sure with oxidation it will be create some mischief. Believe this is not inherent to RE alone, during one of our wet rides a fellow ducatista rider had the challenge to start his bike in the jungles of Dandeli but none of the other bikes faced this challenge. (possibly he was the lemon that day)

Having said that, all that i do is to wash the bike with my garden hose. Care is taken not to direct the flow of water on the electrical switches or instrument cluster. However this monsoon will reveal how waterproof the cluster are.

Plus 1 to your comments on the exhaust, I would rather prefer to play it safe for the long run and not get the internals abused just cause I want to make my ride more noisy. Possibly the SnS from RE might come in handy but again will prefer to sit on the fence before I take a call on it.

Conscious of going OT, why do you think the suspension on the V Strom is its weakest link? Is it the way the internals are setup, or the tensity of the springs? Or is it the travel? A bit confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mahesh mate I meant to ask about FTC(Flat Torque Curve) and not LET characteristic of the 650 twin motor.
Hi Navin,
The bike does pull from 30s in the 4th gear all the way to 120 without fuss.
Am not sure if you want to call that characteristic as FTC. Thought that was a term which is used more in lieu of Electrical Engines where they deliver all the torque at one particular RPM.

Last edited by ku69rd : 22nd February 2019 at 17:57.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:36   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Navin,
The bike does pull from 30s in the 4th gear all the way to 120 without fuss.
Am not sure if you want to call that characteristic as FTC. Thought that was a term which is used more in lieu of Electrical Engines where they deliver all the torque at one particular RPM.
Mate FTC is indeed a characteristic of an IC petrol/diesel engine designed and engineered to do so and is highlighted by the manufacturers as a feature. I love that characteristic hence asked. Thanks for confirming about RE twin 650 engine torque spread vis a vis gear and speed.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:47   #492
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Now that's a scoop. The Int 650 will be seen in Jay Leno's Garage soon.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20190223-12.44.19-pm.jpeg
bsenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 17:50   #493
Senior - BHPian

And the first of the Interceptors and that too a Chrome is now up for sale!! Reason being that the person has problem riding it. Now this may or may not be connected to our discussion here. But none the less it's very surprising!!

http://www.olx.in/item/1501658246
Old 23rd February 2019, 21:34   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Think he is just trying to make a fast buck out of the deal... Nothing else to it.
These days is tough to transfer your bookings from one person to another hence he might be trying out this route.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 22:18   #495
BHPian

First of all Crazy_Driver thanks a lot for sharing your experience, very detailed information after the ride.
Have booked a custom colour on Feb, waiting period is 120+ days.
Since there are few known issues which has been discussed extensively.
Do we have a PDI for bikes just like we have PDI for cars. I have used the PDI for cars multiple times and that has been very helpful. Do we have something like that for bikes in TeamBhp, could someone please share.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks