Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 13:44   #91
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Took a test drive of both the 650's. Some observations:
  • Position - found the GT to be nicer. Of course extra effort on wrist.
  • Clutch - Found the Interceptor's to be butter smooth, but the one on GT to be notchier and requiring more effort.

What was also surprising was that delivery was promised for early Feb and not April like everyone has been talking about.
sprocket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 14:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Most of the bookings seem to be for the Interceptor 650. Wanted to know if the riding position on the GT 650 is so committed that it is putting off people from going for it? How much more or less is the lean compared to Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3? I am yet to test ride the twins though my first preference is GT 650 (personally, I think GT looks better than Interceptor). Also, will someone of 174 cms height be able to flat foot the GT? I know a test ride will clear all my doubts but I'm a bit pressed for time.
I can tell you from my perspective why I will go for the Interceptor rather than the GT.

I am looking for a bike for long distance with pillion, a GT will not make sense then. If I already had a dedicated bike for this purpose, then I would go for the GT since I can have some fun with that aggressive riding position and take it out on short weekend rides. It is also a looker compared to the Interceptor and I would like to have a bike like the GT which moves the way it looks.

I guess it depends on how you intent to use it.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

CrAzY dRiVeR mate what a fantastic review mate. True to TeamBHP's quality and unbiased nature of reviews.

I really liked the way RE 650 twins have been captured in photographs in your review. Also the attention to detail in pointing out various aspects of these two bikes is commendable. I was initially looking at the Interceptor 650 Glitter and Dust, but now the CGT 650(Mister Clean) is growing on me with its awesome design and looks.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
+Brings back some memories of the RD 350 and the Jawa 350 Twin (Which I had).

I must say, I really want to buy the bike. Baker White, please!
Hi Ramana,
Wow those were exactly my words when I finished my really long test ride on a sunday morning. Had a good ride for 200+ kms. It just feels like how a RD would have matured over the years if they were still to be in production. No second thoughts.
Its a very simple machine to ride and live with.

So when is your delivery happening?
ku69rd is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:29   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hi Ramana,
Wow those were exactly my words when I finished my really long test ride on a sunday morning. Had a good ride for 200+ kms. It just feels like how a RD would have matured over the years if they were still to be in production. No second thoughts.
Its a very simple machine to ride and live with.

So when is your delivery happening?
Hey Mahesh,

Yes, it does look and feel like a very simple machine. Something for the 50 year old in us to fuss over every Sunday morning.

I still feel like sitting on the fence with this one, and allow a few batches of these bikes on the road, let all the accessory guys get their products out - you get the drift. By then, maybe I'm a little older and none the wiser and will probably take the plunge

I wouldn't mind a used well depreciated one either.

200 kays on a test bike! I hope you're buying it
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:36   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mahesh,

, let all the accessory guys get their products out - you get the drift. By then, maybe I'm a little older and none the wiser and will probably take the plunge

I wouldn't mind a used well depreciated one either.

200 kays on a test bike! I hope you're buying it
Am sure you are one of the path finder, doubtful if you will actually sit over and twiddle your thumbs.

Used ones right one, will be real tough.

Me buying, not yet decided but to be frank it is very tempting. Don't be surprised if I pick up one. Ravishing Red for me please

@CZrazy Driver: Very well put up Log, it was pointless for me to express any of my experiences when you had captured it so very well. Why don't you change your nick to Crazy Rider

PS: Why is there is no Motorcycle of the year Award @ TeamBHP ?

Last edited by ku69rd : 10th December 2018 at 15:38.
ku69rd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 16:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post
If not for the strict Mumbai traffic cops who flag down every two wheeler rider without a shell on his head, would love to ride it with the wind in my hair and a pair of Wayfarers or Aviators, atleast on a small freeway stretch!
Please DONT - whether Mumbai cops are flagging you down or not. Helmet & other safety gear is meant for your own safety - not for avoiding fines.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 16:24   #98
BHPian

I have taken multiple TDs of the Interceptor (2 bikes | 3 TDs) and GT (2 Bikes | 2 TDS) at two different showrooms. The following are my person observations. I am also refraining from repeating what I thought were obvious from the various other reviews and vlogs floating around.

Some context: I am your everyday guy who has ridden bikes for many years before graduating to cars a few years back. I started biking on a bullet when I was very young and then moved on to a Suzuki Shogun, HH CBZ and finally the Pulsar 180 for a few years before I quit biking. I am currently looking to buy a large capacity bike (650cc+) and have no price constraints from an affordability point of view. However, I am a value buyer and given how quickly some of the more expensive bike depreciate in market value, I had zeroed-in on 4 relatively less run (read less than 5000km) and fairly new (less than 18 months old) bikes that were available for attractive prices (35 – 50% off on-road prices).

The bikes I had zeroed-in were 1. Triumph Street Twin (6 months old | 1500 kms) 2. Harley Iron (12 months old | 3000 kms) and 3. Ducati Scrambler (20 months old | 5000 kms). 4. Ninja 650 -2017 model (14 months old | 6500 kms). I needed the bikes to be equipped with ABS and so the older Triumphs went out of the picture. I would have also liked to put the revised T100/120 into the consideration set, but couldn’t find any recent ones.

My riding style previously was very aggressive. However, I am currently not looking to be a hooligan but want something with enough grunt to make me smile if I do wish to wring the throttle open on a long open stretch. My partner isn’t averse to join me on some of these rides, so reasonable pillion comfort definitely helps.

I recently included the RE twins in my consideration set because they seem to check all my requirements: Decent grunt (52 NM, 120 Kph cruising speeds), Modern and Safe (EFI, ABS, Slipper Clutch), Reasonably Priced, Good pillion comfort. Plus, styling which I think has some nice elements like the twin swept-back exhausts which lend it some character.

Based on my recent TDs, the following are my observations. I am not necessarily singing paeans about the bike because there’s laudation all around for ‘em. My observations focus more on the quirks…

1. Consistency:

a. Paint: The paint on one of the bikes (Baker Express) was actually starting to fade on the tank. The guy at the dealership told me that this bike was at the rider mania where it was handled by many people, but that explanation didn’t satisfy me at all. This was a concern and made me wonder if this was a one-off or not.

b. Shifts: The gear shifts on each of the bikes felt different. If I had to bucket them, then the smooth bucket won 3 – 1 but there was one interceptor where the shifts were clunky and just not good. I couldn’t help wonder why!

c. Switch gear: Two of the 4 bikes had really bad turn indicator switch play – they were notchy, refused to slot at times and not nice to use at all. Is there good aftermarket switchgear available?

2. Exhaust note and engine sound – Over hyped? Ok, don’t raise your eyebrows yet. The exhaust burble is nice and sounds sweet, but you can only enjoy it if you are off the bike and near its rear end. When you are on the bike, there is considerable mechanical clanking when you are on the go which turns into this asphyxiating sound while decelerating – these sounds tend to be more audible than the exhaust when you are on the bike and so you do not really enjoy the burble which, did I already mention, is indeed nice.

3. Foot-pegs: The foot-pegs on the interceptor WILL poke your legs when you are flatfooting them if you are anything less than 5”9” in height. Taller guys can spread their legs wide when resting their legs on the ground to avoid it but for someone like me who isn’t 5”9+”, I discovered a new way to flatfoot without having the pegs poke you. The trick is to place your legs on the ground slightly ahead of the pegs and let the bike move a few inches forward even as the pegs fold back (they are spring loaded and foldable). I tried this a couple of times and it started instantly working for me. But this may get some more getting used to. I also tried planting my legs behind the pegs which requires you to sit further back on the seat and that’s not very comfortable.

4. 80-20 Rule: But for the long open highways where all out acceleration and top speed figures become relevant, 80% of the time, you need to get your smiles on in the first two, sometimes three, gears. The twins get off to a brisk start in the first two gears and then lose steam when compared to the other bikes in my consideration set. While this bike could be anywhere between half a second to a full second slower than the other bikes in my consideration set to a 100 kmph, it isn’t be all that lethargic to, say, 70kmph. So, I reckoned that I should be ok with this kind of power/torque most of the time, esp. when I can get a new one at ~50% of the price of the other bikes, used albeit.

5. GTreat: The internet is all about how the GT is tough on your hands and is less comfortable. This is true, but only if you are on long highways. In the city, the GT is actually more flickable, the aero-dynamic sitting posture make you believe that you are taking-off and accelerating faster than on the Interceptor and the lower seat height helps shorter riders flatfoot. As long as you use your core and not your hands to support your weight, you’ll be very happy riding one. And, the coolness… that’s added premium.

6. Chrome-buster: The sadly-polished aluminium engine covers don’t do it for me. I would have preferred shiny chrome or matt black, but the ones on the twins make it look a little philistine, erm … retro if you want to give it a positive twist. Though a lot of people talk about how the chrome variants are very cool, they somehow don’t have a newness about them because I’ve seen chrome variants of most RE models – machismo and then the classic, in the past and the chrome variants on the Twins are much in the mould. Yes, they are nice, but aren’t fresh, if you know what I mean.

Interceptor’s seat should keep my partner happy, the bike’s eager to corner (adieu Iron 883), doesn’t heat up like a furnace (ciao Ducati Scrambler), isn’t ruffled by Speed bumps, one too many on our roads (arrivederci Ninja 650) and the White color actually makes the bike look bigger than it really is (that ticks off the Street Twin) – so you ask what’s rocking my socks, majestic white and a little crimson, the sweet smell of that far way bistro, it has some quirks, erm.. character but who doesn't, Baker Express, is she the one?!

Did that just sound like a paean, oh! What the hell, so be it!
HandfulOfHell is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 16:40   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Most of the bookings seem to be for the Interceptor 650. Wanted to know if the riding position on the GT 650 is so committed that it is putting off people from going for it? How much more or less is the lean compared to Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3? I am yet to test ride the twins though my first preference is GT 650 (personally, I think GT looks better than Interceptor). Also, will someone of 174 cms height be able to flat foot the GT? I know a test ride will clear all my doubts but I'm a bit pressed for time.
Hi, It is not committed as much as a sports bike but it is more forward leaning compared to the Int 650. Also, with the clip on handle bar setup of the Conti 650, it may put more pressure on the wrists compared to the Int 650.

With a height of 174 cms, you can easily flat foot the Conti 650 compared to the Int 650. Yes, Conti 650 looks better than Int 650!

Cheers
thumpmeister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 16:48   #100
Senior - BHPian

What is the current waiting period for Interceptor Standard in Bangalore?
Old 10th December 2018, 17:04   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Please DONT - whether Mumbai cops are flagging you down or not. Helmet & other safety gear is meant for your own safety - not for avoiding fines.

Noted, it was just my juvenile streak raising it's wish list. Irrespective of cops being there or not, I always wear a helmet. It was a spur of the moment statement appreciating the previous members post which I commented on.
Old 10th December 2018, 17:05   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Test rode the Interceptor 650 Twin yesterday...

+Brings back some memories of the RD 350 and the Jawa 350 Twin

You know, as a bike that you will use primarily for the wind in your hair kind of rides (if you have any left), as well as to strut your millennial creds with your beaten up old leather jacket, this is certainly t
I must say, I really want to buy the bike. Baker White, please!

Music to my ears. I sort of considered this to be a grown up RD from the look, but had no feel to translate it into.

Thank you. My booking is Baker white too
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 17:19   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
What is the current waiting period for Interceptor Standard in Bangalore?
It's between 90-120 days. I have asked in two dealerships and got the same answer. But I feel we might just get it within 90 days from the date of booking.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 17:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

Managed to take a short test ride of the interceptor last week. My 2 cents:

Performance:

- Engine is the star of the show. Its not vibe free though and at higher revs, you can clearly feel the buzz at the footpegs. Not a deal breaker at all though. The bike is a smooth operator. 2nd gear, ~ 90 KPH ... smooooothhhhhhhh
- Smoothest, slickest gear shifts on any motorcycle EVER, Desi or Firangi!!
- Oodles of torque. Sitting upright I gave it a handful of throttle in 1st gear and I had my head thrown back. Scooted back into the seat, leaned onto the bars and had an absolute blast ripping it around
- The brakes are Fantastic! Both from a feel and bite perspective. Gives a lot of confidence to ride fast. The ABS on the rear activated a few times, but its not as intrusive as the one on my KTM. There's a gentle buzz from the brake pedal when it activates, unlike the THUD TWACK KRRRRRRR you get from the 390

Ride & Handling:

- Couldn't corner hard but the front end doesn't feel dead like other Enfields. Gives you feedback
- Takes a bit of effort to put it in a corner (Compared to the Duke 390 I ride) but not excessively so. I appreciated the gradual lean that the bike settles into as opposed to the Duke's almost immediate change of direction; that took me quite sometime to get used to. The 650 felt stable and planted
- Tyres seemed adequate but will reserve comments post a ride on a twisty road this weekend (fingers crossed)
- Minor bumps don't faze the bike. But you can feel the ride getting a bit bumpy and crashy as the undulations start to get a bit severe

Ergonomics:

- Have heard a lot about the footpegs fouling with the rider's feet. I faced no such issue
- I am 5.11. I definitely want a taller seat for more comfort, 1 or maybe even 2 inches. The seat to footpeg ratio felt slightly cramped
- Handlebar required a fair bit of reach with me sitting a few inches away from the tank. Roz pivot riser type product would help (Raise the handlebar and pull it towards you). Do check clearance for hoses and cables though. Things looked a bit tight in there
- I am surprised no one has mentioned this but the fuel tank is the biggest ergo spoilsport here. When you sit on the bike, the inside of your legs make a natural "V" shape. The tank area (towards the seat) is more boxy, with the outside lines running parallel to each other. Really digs into your thighs as you hold on the bike with your lower body. Not an issue on short rides but on longer ones, this would probably be very painful

My thoughts on the Himalayan 650:

Short version, its not going to happen anytime soon. And I am not basing this on a press release from the company but just my experience riding the interceptor.

The engine is quite wide, so gripping the bike with your legs while standing up is awkward as hell! Moving the footpegs further back will make it less "adventurous" and more sporty. Which means the engine probably needs to move around from where it is. Maybe push it further out to the front and make it a stressed member (a la Xpulse)?

Whatever they do, Himalayan-ing this engine will be an engineering project and IMO will need to be designed from scratch. And that's why I say, not gonna happen anytime soon!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 10th December 2018 at 17:42.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 17:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

Happen to take a test ride here in Bangalore @ E-City Royal Enfield showroom. The guys were quite keen and they had test rides of both Interceptor (Orange Crush) and the Continental GT Ice Queen. After a quick paper work, I'd love to share my opinions on how she fares.

I own the RE Himalayan BS IV, so that with in mind, there I went to experience the new kid on the block

Pros
+++
1. The bike pulls like a tank. Absolutely no questions
2. Everything seems so well put, everything is damn S O L I D. For once, I felt this could last long.
3. Gearshifts are buttery buttery smooth. No false neutrals, she just shifts in an extremely positive manner. In fact I just loved shifting gears on this thing. Rev matching becomes a thing of past. Whereas in the Himalayan, that thing does require rev shifting to make sure shifting stays smooth
4. Massive presence. Immediately attracts people of all gamut and boy she sounds sweet.

5. Surprisingly, a well-built RE machine. Seems everything can last for a long, long time to come.

Cons
+++
1. Heavy for a motorcycle that meant to be a street fighter. Once on the move, it masks its weight pretty well. A case with all motorcycles.

2. Engine heat. DO NOT go with your bermudas or capris you are sure to have a terrible terrible heat sore and possible burns if you're not careful. With my thick riding denim pant, I could feel the intensity of the heat. This being done on the service road connecting the NICE Road. Forget this bike if you're going to be stuck in B2B traffic.

3. Oh that lousy seat. The bike though promises on everything. I feel like I was sitting on a bicycle cross bar with a big engine. The seat is extremely uncomfortable personally, seems there is no sweet spot to grab the tank with your legs or your legs comfortably swinged over. There's always a compromise. Personally not a big fan of the seat.

4. Vibrations are present, but light years ahead of the pushrod brothers. My bike buzzed on both the bars and the right side pegs while the needle was touching at 100 KMPH. Probably she'd settle in as she was a new bike after all less than 1.5k on the ODO, so the jury is out there.

5. Chrome though looks extremely sweet, I am having second thoughts on how well the shine and sheen are gonna last in our washing conditions, especially rusting and what not.

I've made a small video here.

A two cents worth from my side on how she fares.

Needs Improvement
+++++++++++++

1. The thigh protector (The black metal frame) installed on the engine head to protect the riders thighs are extremely cheaply made. They bend with a mild push and are small. While riding the bike I myself accidentally have touched the head many a times and this isn't doing a great job.

RE should make it a little wider and stronger. The thing just bends inwards towards the engine with a slight push with your thigh, totally an awkwardly done thing. A longer and stronger metal protector would be extremely welcome.

The rear foot pegs are a big no-no. Mind you I had the same case where my wife's sole melted and got glued to the muffler guard plate on our CBR 250R. Removing it was a pain in the arse and I ended up getting a new one for 450 bucks.

With this chrome treatment being a bling on the bike and this gets extremely extremely hotter than the CBR 250R chances are very high the backside of one's heel/sole will be melted in no time. One has to constantly look where he or she rests his/her back of the foot. The balls of the foot has to be front of the peg and not rested on the peg as this would mean the sole/heel lands exactly on the HOT exhaust which would mean a scratched exhaust that'd look shabby and forget undoing the melted sole off the exhaust.

RE should have kept a metal ring protector on top of the exhaust so that it doesn't ruin the chrome and melt our soles.

THE CUP CHALLENGE

I personally feel all the cup challenge done on the bike elsewhere is completely wrong. We're all gonna sit on the seat and no on a fuel tank. The reviews I see everywhere either keep the cup on the tank or somewhere close to tank. I wonder!

I did keep my glasses and helmet on the seat of this bike and revved her till 4k, and they were jingling like no body's business. A little more and my helmet would have fallen. She vibes? Yes! But is it the end of the line. Definitely not. The way the torque is spread down as low as 2k, forget about what's in front of you. The urgency with which she pulls is truly a BONNIE killer, reminds me of my stint with the Triumph Thruxton (Lovely machine)

All the gaga ends over 5k, where she comes to a lull, yet she pulls, albeit at a relaxed pace, you need to work a few cogs to make sure she doesn't lose steam.

Overall a decent package with the rush, with enough power, and smiles that can go on and on.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 10th December 2018 at 17:51.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks