Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 12:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Red Liner are you sure you have ridden a Bullet 350 (especially the cast iron engine)? Because the first comment (especially the bold part) itself gives me a reason to doubt.

Anyhow there is no point arguing among each other, your words convey a preference for a kid of torque curve which my lazy self doesn't prefer for riding/driving. I like to shift minimal gears.
I like to have fun on my motorcycles. Both my Yezdi CL2 and my classic Jawa Twin cylinder were massive fun on the streets about a decade back or more.

Maybe our definition of fun or what it means to each of us is different, like it is for most parts of the world. I just like a balanced motorcycle offering a balanced torque curve, and I think the Interceptor is one such motorcycle.

The rush you get from the locomotive like torque when you slam that rev counter up is hard to put in writing.

Last edited by Red Liner : 17th December 2018 at 12:34.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 12:36   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What you said makes sense only for snazzy young bikes of India with peaky torque curves, whereas on Enfield you can usually ride at low RPM at any gear (without slipping any clutch)
This Enfield really blurs that line between a modern bike and an Enfield. Is that for good or bad, is upto people to decide.

I've ridden the cast iron Bullet 350, and no - this is not even close. But neither is it a modern high revving twin that shivers at low rpms. And neither will it struggle like the old Enfields when it comes to mid and high rpms either.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I like to have fun on my motorcycles. Both my Yezdi CL2 and my classic Jawa Twin cylinder were massive fun on the streets about a decade back or more.
Ah! two stroke bliss. The Jawa twin 350, it was an amazing motorcycle mate. Another one was the Yamaha RD 350 again two stroker. I can see your riding style mate w.r.t fun quotient the way you connect with your motorcycles. Different strokes for different folks, must I say.
Quote:
Maybe our definition of fun or what it means to each of us is different, like it is for most parts of the world. I just like a balanced motorcycle offering a balanced torque curve, and I think the Interceptor is one such motorcycle.
Mate that's exactly the reason why we have so many options like undersquare, oversquare, short stroke, long stroke, etc. engine configurations. Some like the fun of torque and LET, while others like the fun of BHP with high revving engines. So like you said it depends from rider to rider and their definition of fun while motorcycling.
Quote:
The rush you get from the locomotive like torque when you slam that rev counter up is hard to put in writing.
I read you mate. For me I can relate to the way the ALCO WDM2 climbs gradients on Konkan line while hauling at least 20 coaches behind. The smooth and effortless torque curve reminds me of FTC in my old RE's. While the way a WAP7 builds up speeds swiftly is like a multi cylinder motorcycle, quick and fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This Enfield really blurs that line between a modern bike and an Enfield. Is that for good or bad, is upto people to decide.

I've ridden the cast iron Bullet 350, and no - this is not even close. But neither is it a modern high revving twin that shivers at low rpms. And neither will it struggle like the old Enfields when it comes to mid and high rpms either.
Aptly put mate.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th December 2018 at 14:02.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 14:57   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride! This color is probably going to be the hot favorite and will find a lot of takers. It gives the bike a classy look with the chrome complimenting the color quite elegantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Footpeg -ok, here is the grouse.
Yes, this was the most annoying part when I took a test ride of the interceptor a few weeks ago. While most of the online reviewers never bothered to mention about this in their reviews, I'm sure that a lot of folks who shared their feedback on the forum voiced about this. I'm not sure if there is any workaround for this but hopefully, the more you start using it, you might get used to the placement and will adjust to it without too much trouble. But I don't think this is should be considered as a deal breaker in any way.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 17:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They forgot an O ring on the side panel where it locks into the frame and the owners manual is missing.
Hello,
Congratulations on your latest acquisition and I have been able to lay my hands on the owner's manual for your twin.

Looks quite comprehensive.
Enjoy your ride and the read. [ATTACH=BS-IV-Int-650-Owners-Manual-Domestic.pdf]1828928[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BS-IV-Int-650-Owners-Manual-Domestic.pdf (16.11 MB, 1055 views)
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 18:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I was quite surprised and hence looked up the manual to confirm your specifications.

Attachment 1828562

Reason for my surprise was because usually 20-30 is the setting that I use when I ride on tricky terrains where stock is 28-30. Also it was a first to see a change in front tire pressure with a pillion on-board because usually only the rear tire pressure is mentioned to be changed.

Guess I owe a Kudos to RE for being so specific.
I got the Rated Tyre pressure form the Owners Manual. 20-30 did seems way to extreme to me.

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-capture.jpg
damanbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 18:39   #37
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi... I currently own a 2008 Machismo 500 LB and am looking forward to booking the Int650 any day now. I have a question and it is regarding running the bike in. I went through the owner's manual and it has a staggered running in period of 2000 kms. I wanted your opinion on the veracity of this process and what you are doing as part of your running in.

Here's the OEM recommendation:

Name:  running in.PNG
Views: 11077
Size:  35.1 KB
bsenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 17:55   #38
BHPian

The first service is tomorrow so expect a little more detail than is currently on hand
1. Owners manual hard copies not yet with showrooms or owners, so finally the pdf is the best bet
2. Thanks Team BHP members for the air pressure numbers and manual Downloads
3. Running in is tough- 4000 in 6th is 100 kmph, so here is what I have been doing
I keep varying the rpm and have sincerely stayed off leaving the city on highways and speeding . I find city traffic riding amazingly close to the requirements of the manual 'riding in' and that has worked wonders for my TB350 and my REH BS4 too.
As much as the Mumbai eastern express highway allows me to ride, 2/3 mins @4000, I do and then it's back up and down the gear box. Here again a third top up tells me 22.9KmpL son that's steady.
The first initial feedback - comparing the bike to an RX100, is strengthened every day. It's amazing in traffic, very quick to move the usual 170kg load onthe bike thru the gears from standing start. Coming to a stop at signals the bike is light and very very stable, that you can crawl upto a signal and put your feet down ONLY if you actually stop. There is no foot-dragging and behaving like a navy fighter plane running around with feet lowered like a tail hook.
550km and suitably impressed and there is no heat that troubles.
My happiness has grown and let's hope that the first service keeps life moving positively
As rehards accessories there's actually not too much except the crash guards ( of which I have the larger oe) and the front fairing (of which I have the smaller one). Handle bar ends and some foam roller pad for the brace make up the rest of what's on my bike. You tube knows more about accessories than me right now.
I will get the handlebar pulled back aslightly tomorrow and the seat, I am waiting to see who jumps first into the following
1. Scoop out riders seat to make a slight 'dug,' and trim the inner thigh/sides of the seat to enable nearer footn position when at stand still.
2. Add 1.5" of foam to the rear seat/ pillion seat
3. Fabricator buy a rear back rest
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 21:27   #39
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Ride!!!
One quick question. Are the electrics Full DC or does the Headlight run off the alternator?
Spotty91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:37   #40
BHPian

I swore I would never buy an RE again after burning my hands with a first batch Classic 500 but the reviews on the twins are really making me reconsider. Thanks for the regular ownership updates. While it isn't in the same category, I'll be test riding the Jawa too simply because my criteria is a classic / retro styled bike more than absolute performance (I'm content with 80-100 cruising speeds on highways). If the Jawa purrs along without vibrations up to 110 then it'll make my decision more difficult.
Old 20th December 2018, 11:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Took a TD of interceptor yesterday. Few of my observations.

!
All said and done, knowing you, the Royal Enfield twins won't suit us.

Regarding weight, it would not be a problem unless you plan pushing the bike yourselves all the time with the engine shut off.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 18:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hello,
Congratulations on your latest acquisition and I have been able to lay my hands on the owner's manual for your twin.
Some maintenance highlights from the owner's manual:

3.1 litres of 10w50 synthetic oil costs Rs. 850 a litre for refill. Not sure of the 100ml because of which you have to buy 4 litres (if paid per bottle). UCE 350/500 users are used to 3 litres of oil purchase.

Annual service interval, oil, oil filter + air filter replace irrespective of 5k or 10k kms

Engine oil top-up is suggested every 1k kms. This I'm not sure how effective it'll be to execute or will it be required to do every 1k kms?

Interestingly, the 4 free services covers the 3 years warranty. But you are tied to authorized service stations to claim warranty. Which is a good thing for a new vehicle.

The 650 twin owners manual is interesting!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 05:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for this review, your words are actually helping me to make my mind for the 650. I am still waiting for 650's to be launched here. I will go for a test ride as soon they hit the showroom and then book one after 6 Months of the first batch deliveries. The issue is I had REs back in the day I don't want to deal with an unreliable bike here in Australia, India would have been a different story.

Quote:
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 16:03   #44
BHPian

Congratulations Hammer & Anvil on your purchase!
I test rode both 650 twins last week and completely agree with Hammer & Anvil's observations. After a few seconds into the 1st test ride, my mind was already pushing me to sell my Dominar 400 ( 10 months old) and get baker express Interceptor 650.
Couldnt believe how smooth the engine feels and how sharp the brakes felt. I almost touched 100 in 2nd gear itself.
I also experienced issues with foot pegs touching your calf. Waiting for more info related to stability during cross winds post which i am planning to book one.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 17:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty91 View Post
Congratulations on your new Ride!!!
One quick question. Are the electrics Full DC or does the Headlight run off the alternator?
Full DC setup. No separate AC system for headlights. The bike isn't stupendously "classic" for god's sake.
Secondly, the stock headlight beam throw isn't that great, courtesy the stock halogen. I'd recommend an LED bulb, which definitely improves the beam throw, especially in low beam.

The OWNERS MANUALS for both the INTER-CONTINENTAL can you downloaded here

https://www.royalenfield.com/uk/en/h...owners-manual/

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 23rd December 2018 at 17:58.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks