Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 16:17   #1
BHPian

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report

What I like about Street Triple S –

1. Design and Looks – Looks are subjective, I like her the way she is, its so sleek no one wants to believe it’s over 12.5L with accessories

2. Engine – 765 CC of awesomeness and the way she roars..

3. Exhaust – the way she sounds, how can you not fall in love..

4. Ride by Wire Throttle – excellent at response, as though she is talking to you all the time, the way she accelerates – just wow

5. Fit and Finish – all the controls are easy to access and everything just feels well tucked in and overall finish including the paint job is top notch. Nothing feels out of place.

6. USB Charging point - under the rear seat is really helpful.

7. Pirelli Corsa tyres – provide excellent grip on good roads

What I didnt like about Street Triple S –

1. Brakes – clearly she deserves the Brembo set which is given in RS. Current ones just about manage right.

2. Mirrors – poor visibility, again bar end mirrors in RS should have been standard here.

3. Lack of Slip Assist Clutch – again not sure why they haven’t considered in S.

4. Ground clearance – given the design of the bike, this is on the lower side, but for indian conditions, it’s a pain, navigating over speed breakers one needs to be really careful and ofcourse oil sump is right below and cant take major hits on bad roads.

5. Turning Radius – its difficult to take a complete turn in a tight corner or space.

6. Life of Tyres – Heard that tyres wont last beyond 10-12K KMS

Introducing Kaara - Never dreamt, never thought, but who knows the destiny right -

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5891.jpg

Had been following many threads in the superbikes section silently admiring the bikes, rides etc for a while and of course thoroughly enjoying them. Somewhere around 2017 October seed got planted in my head, if I want to experience all of what I keep reading and do it, this is the time. Before I could take even a single test ride, next day I was told I will be moving out of the country in April 2018, and there it went, thought maybe one day when I come back and left the thoughts.

Come April, few changes have happened, plans changed I am not going anywhere, so in June thought guess its time to take the test ride. Avinash’s log on Versys 650 and CrazyDrivers ownership log and his updates on his trips kept me glued to check the V650.

And so we did, my birthday was on 23rd June so that I will go ahead with V650 and get myself the present by this day, Nat and I went to the Kawasaki showroom at Langford road on 16th June, took the V650 for a short spin, initially felt a bit intimidated, though bike itself was plush and comfortable, for touring and longer duration trips this one definitely is the light weight champion like others here have mentioned, somehow I guess I didn’t get connected with the bike that much, didn’t like the fact that I cant plant my feet on the ground.

The only other I bike I test rode was Z900, loved the inline 4 cylinders humming and that’s it, didn’t like the riding posture nor felt that bike was for me. Would have preferred V650 over this one any day.

My friend Nat told me lets head to Keerthi Triumph showroom which was close by, and I had no idea then how the Triumph motorcycles are and would be, the moment I entered the place, was surprised to look at all the beauties. I had no plans nor was inclined to do a test ride as my head was spinning around V650 only and no other alternative was planned, but he insisted so I took the Street Triple RS for a spin, and I was smiling all the way on the bike, it just felt as if this is made for me or I am made for her.

While I liked Street Triple, was unsure if I should leave V650 given all the reviews. So we left confused and to think and come back later, on 23rd June we went again to check out both, felt the same as described earlier and zeroed in on Street Triple, only confusion left was should I go for S or RS.

Couple of pictures from 16th & 23rd June -

Yours truly -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_8027.jpg

Nat loves her -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_8019.jpg

Awesome Tigers -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_8023.jpg

I love her -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_8151.jpg

One day for sure -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_8152.jpg

Happy day -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Hectic work and travel kept me away for sometime, finally on 29th Dec 2018, went for another test ride of Street Triple just to be sure that my heart is right and not my head, and went ahead and booked on the same day. Completed all the formalities by Dec 31st, Keerthi Triumph handled everything and it was smooth from processing till the delivery. There were no discounts on offer except that I got the Arrow exhaust as part of December end offer.

Paid 12.5L in total including Quick Shifter, Frame and Fork Protectors, Engine casing. Yet to receive the belly pan as its out of stock.

Took the delivery on Jan 15th being an auspicious day.

Enough, time for the Pictures –

First Look of her - all set to go wild...
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_4917.jpg

Second Look -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_4910.jpg

Third Look -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_4907.jpg

Enough please give me the keys, my friends were to join, but yes one joined over video call while taking the delivery -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-photo20190116103359.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_4912.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_4915.jpg

Lets go -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-photo20190116103401.jpg

At the end of day 1 -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_4947.jpg

Last edited by srikanthpotluri : 8th March 2019 at 14:47.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 13:56   #2
BHPian

re: My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report

Performance and Handling -

Do remember I am a complete amateur at this, and I am riding a bike after 12 years, last I held was a Pulsar 150, so please do bear with me.

Completed 2500 KMs so far and each time I head out with her, I keep thinking where was she all this time, why didn’t I meet her earlier, I wish I had met her much before, nevertheless, time and destiny I guess are difficult to explain, anyways it’s one of the best decisions I made.

New Street Triple S comes with liquid cooled inline 3 cylinder engine with 765 CC capacity which delivers around 111BHP of power, given its dry weight of 166 KGs, she is fast and powerful. This new engine will power the Moto2 bikes from 2019, I guess that says alot.

Once you start the engine, you can immediately connect with the sweet sound of the 3 cylinders, slot her into first gear and she moves ahead smoothly, until the 3K-4K rpm levels she feels nimble, you are not in for any surprises, once you cross 4K rpm all hell will break loose until the redline, I don't think indian roads have the capacity to take what she has inside her, given the bikes way of design I guess, you can do 3 digits in each of the 6 gears. I didn't measure the time she takes to attain a ton, but I am sure its less than 4 secs.

Street Triple is enjoyable on good & decent roads whether its 4 lane, 2 lane, single lane doesn’t matter, she feels the best in winding ghat roads and once you take her on bad roads, she will hate you very quickly. She is easy to handle and very responsive even if you are a new rider or upgrading to a super bike. She won't bite you as long as you love her and care for her while handling, know your limits and behave well.

Corners are a breeze and once you get used to her, you would enjoy the cornering like never before. I had experienced this during my ride from Vythiri to Gudalur where I felt I was like a pro doing the corners and remember its my first time, such is her nature, I was able to bend at angles I couldn't imagine myself, and the tyres help provide all the grip and confidence especially when you are exiting corners you can accelerate without worrying (ofcourse if there is sufficient road in front).

Riding within the city is very easy, you can easily do the daily office commutes or even shorter distances. Engine is very responsive and smooth, most of the time you won't cross 3rd at best 4th gear, though will need some getting used to with the clutch as its on the harder side as compared to RS. Riding in heavy traffic conditions especially bumper to bumper is difficult given the clutch, though doable but nothing comforting about this. Suspension setting is also on the stiffer side, on good roads you won't know anything, hit the patches and bad roads, you will wonder about your situation and you will straight away come down to 10-20KMPH speeds.

Take her to a highway and she will smile as she will come to know that’s where she belongs, She is fast actually very fast and reliable, she never has a doubt on her abilities, she will tease you and test you every now and often. I doubt our roads allow what she can unleash post 9K RPM. Post the first 30 mins of riding, realized the roar from engine and exhaust both changed and increased which inside the city you can hardly experience, ofcourse for good, you know this because a lot of heads will start turning at this point onwards and you can only smile, its like everyone wants to look at your girl now ☺

Overtaking is again a breeze whether you are in 3rd or 6th gear doesn't matter, just open the throttle and you are away from all easily. You hardly need to lower your gear, clearly this is something to do with their brilliant engineering works. I love when I am at a signal and I am moving ahead like a jet, its like she launches forward no one can catch her.

Riding posture will get some getting used to especially if you are new to this category, its sporty for sure, someone from this forum helped me with an advice that if I hold her loose at handle and hold her tight with the legs, I will feel alot more comfortable and that really worked for me like magic, within the first couple of rides could figure how to hold her well and manage without putting too much stress on arms and shoulders.

Dual disc 310 mm disc brakes along with Nissin callipers do good job at braking and give you enough confidence. Coming to a halt from triple digits and even during any sudden braking bike would remain straight like an arrow, won't wobble or give any trouble whatsoever. Like I had mentioned Though the top end Brembo brakes on RS were fantastic and I do miss them, had experienced them during my test ride.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa Tyres definitely provide good grip and stability on good roads and winding roads, the only downside being their cost.

Having ridden 4 lane highways, village roads and twisties, I can say she is absolutely beautiful at handling, especially the twisties and winding roads she feels planted and inspires confidence for you to accelerate and nothing to worry, she will take care of you. Though after 8 to 10 hours of riding, one needs a bum massage for sure.

Did the first service within 15 days of delivery, took about 6 hours of waiting for her to get ready. Costed INR 8.5K.

Like the fact that second service is post 10K KMS, however quickly realized that second service is going to be in the range of INR 25K. So clearly service and spares and maintenance will be on the expensive front.

From what I learnt here at T-BHP please do wear complete riding safety gear, better to spend than having broken bones, least you would ride confidently and enjoy the rides.

Bought the following for myself -
HJC FG ST Besty Helmet and added Sena bluetooth set inside
Revit GT Air Jacket
TBG Full length gloves
Bikeratti denim riding pants
Alpinestars SMX-S boots
Oxford Tank Bag

Here are few pictures from the trips made so far -

First one being Yelagiri, went alone, did not take many pictures though -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5039.jpg

It was a Sunday morning breakfast ride, breeze to ride the Krishnagiri and Yelagiri route, given mid Jan, cold was very evident and by the time I reached Shoolagiri I almost froze, mesh jacket in cold weather isn't helpful unless you wear inner liner or thermal, however pant was extremely comfortable -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5041.jpg

Went alone again, this time to Kolar CCD -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5210.jpg

Kaara and I were the only ones at CCD, everyone else where at the South Indian options -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5218.jpg

CCD-
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5221.jpg

Yours truly, finally post the ride I met my colleague Srikanth, this day he decided to get a bike as well, and he has booked Harley Street Rod -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-jaiq1585.jpg

Went on a ride with office buddies on 2nd and 3rd Feb to Vythiri, 8 guys were supposed to go, but only 3 went, ready?
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5283.jpg

E-city Nice road entry - post the toll gate, Good morning -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5287.jpg

CCD somewhere on the mysore route -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5297.jpg

Office riding buddies - Manjappa & Jasheem
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5307.jpg

On the way back from Vythiri, took the Gudalur route, every bikers delight - awesome winding roads -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5324.jpg

Rode to Chennai on 24th Feb -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5883.jpg

Have asked my close friend Sanjib to take few pictures of Kaara, he is good at this-
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5880.jpg

Yet to process and share his pictures -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5882.jpg

All the pictures so far are taken from iPhone 7 -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5839.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5854.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5823.jpg

Well, Sun can set not me
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_5891.jpg

3rd March - did the Anchetty loop with another riding buddy from office -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-leuq4201.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-cgfz8919.jpg

Given the summer I doubt how many rides can we really do the next 2-3 months unless rain gods bless us...until then..

Would like to thank Team-BHP without which I wouldn't have got motivated and come to this decision.

Would like to thank hifisharu for his awesome thread on Street triple -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ip-review.html (Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review)

Watched this video like over 100 times -

Last edited by srikanthpotluri : 8th March 2019 at 15:11.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 07:02   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Big Bikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 9th March 2019, 10:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
I had no plans nor was inclined to do a test ride as my head was spinning around V650 only and no other alternative was planned, but he insisted so I took the Street Triple RS for a spin, and I was smiling all the way on the bike, it just felt as if this is made for me or I am made for her.
Forget the reviews, THIS is what matters - you found your bike, or the bike found you.

Congrats!

Why wait for summer to get over? STriple is perhaps the most useable big motorcycle out in the city. Can be used for commutes as well as rides - unmatched versatility in that sense.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:45   #5
BHPian

Excellent crisp review mate!! The Street Triple S seems totally delicious.Its the most legit under-the-radar monster. My biking dreams are on a hold for now but when i do return to the brotherhood the Street Triple S might just be the one pour moi. Will be avidly following your thread for more updates.
Happy riding!!
Old 11th March 2019, 10:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
.. once you cross 4K rpm all hell will break loose until the redline, I don't think indian roads have the capacity to take what she has inside her
Corners are a breeze and .. I was able to bend at angles I couldn't imagine myself, and the tyres ..

..Suspension setting is also on the stiffer side, .

..Riding posture will get some getting used to .

..Like the fact that second service is post 10K KMS, however quickly realized that second service is going to be in the range of INR 25K. So clearly service and spares and maintenance will be on the expensive front.

.Watched this video like over 100 times -
Firstly, Congratulations! Such a beauty; looks and performance wise in this category.

So far only once/twice I have been able to take it near 8k rpm in 6th gear and that was getting close to double ton; bit scary. That was during hard break-in at times; not till the red line though. But yeah, 6k rpm is each gear is the limit which works for me for acceleration and required speed.

It's a perfect geometry for corner carving and the confidence it gives during the whole leaning time is amazing. I stayed away from handle bar risers though it seemed like a good option but gladly didn't. The geometry for city filtering, cornering and stability is just perfect. Talking of city, the bike just doesn't like usual stop-n-go routine and annoys the constant radiator fan sound so I adjusted my office timing a bit to let it fly.

A bit surprised about stiffer suspension out of the factory because mine was softer and I used to be concerned about bumpy tail through the corners or encountering the bulges. So recently I got it stiffened half way (on 8 levels) and it feels much planted. I recommend to check the air pressure from trustworthy place, feel it a bit more and see which adjustment suits you.

I also got the mirrors changed to the ones on RS and while the aesthetics have improved much I am more pleased that I can actually see the rear view. You can check it out in the official launch thread where I have updated about it recently.

Also, I recently did 1st annual service (2nd svc as you said) and the cost was ~12-13K. Although the mechanics are pretty good here and don't advice changes unless necessary, I stay with the bike through out and visually inspect the parts being asked to be replaced. For example: 1 brake pad set will cost you ~4k and there are 2 to replace in front so have it checked and do it only if necessary. I use a lot of engine braking and that helps keeping the brake pads usage optimal. Likewise the air filter, can be cleaned instead of replacing. Actually you can pay a preventive check visit for chain tightening, air filter clean and it will cost not more than 1.5-2k which will help with keeping the annual svc costs reasonable.

And this video is so much a reason for my purchase
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 11:24   #7
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for the Street Triple S.

I have always been a sucker for nakeds and the Street Triple had my heart singing for many many months. It is such a wonderful handler and is quite versatile too. The flickability and fun to ride quotient is unmatched. I am sure Street Triple would be a rewarding experience for you !

Ride safe.
Old 11th March 2019, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Congratulations! The bar end mirrors on my RS are probably worse than your lever yoke mounted ones.
They look good and feel premium but it gets tricky to judge who is tailing you
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:36   #9
BHPian

Attaching few pictures that came from the photo shoot done by my friend Sanjib when I was in Chennai -

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike4.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike1.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike6.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike12.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike2.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike3.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-bike13.jpg
srikanthpotluri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:28   #10
BHPian

All, thanks to the rain gods over the weekend here, Sunday morning was pleasant, there were no plans, but when I woke up and came out there was this nice and cool breeze and it was around 7AM, was thinking of doing the Dandiganahalli Dam for a while, due to weather couldn't go out, finally around 8AM left home alone and took the usual Doddabellapur route, and came back via Chickabellapur route.

When I reached there clouds disappeared and it was quickly getting hot. Reached home by 11:45, ofcourse didnt stop for breakfast thanks to the weather

Here are a few pictures -

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_7258.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_7264.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_7275.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_7270.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_7269.jpg

My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-img_7267.jpg
srikanthpotluri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a query on buying a used Striple 675 and thought I could post it here because of a relevant audience.
(1) How much do you think is a good price for a very well maintained used Jan 2016, Striple with about 7500 kms on the odo, with an arrow exhaust and a 2nd owner?
(2) Are there any serious service / parts related concerns that could make this buy go very sour?

Some quick responses could be very helpful as the bike in question may not be available for long.

I am not comfortable with the 765 because of its taller seat height, so please advice me on this 675 alone. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2019, 19:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I am not comfortable with the 765 because of its taller seat height, so please advice me on this 675 alone. Thanks in advance.
A bit late and I dont have a cogent response to your questions, but, this is the first time I'm hearing of someone being unhappy with the 765 due to seat height. What is your problem exactly? Did you buy the bike?
Old 29th July 2019, 11:56   #13
BHPian

Weekend of 20-21 Jul went for a ride to Chikmagalur along with the office buddies, stayed at a place called Shivadurga Homestay. Good place with good food.

All the way roads were excellent and awesome weather, infact when we crossed Belur it started raining and except one no one carried rain coats , we got drenched but continued to the homestay., even during return the following day, got drenched until we touched the highway., other than that we had a good time and well deserved ride after summer, here are a few pictures -

Waiting for others to join at breakfast -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-waiting_1.jpg

Good place and decent breakfast -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-breakfast_place.jpg

Our rides -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-our_rides_at_breakfast.jpg

Somewhere on the way - Nat/yours truly/Manjappa/Jasheem -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-20190720_124509.jpg

With our rides -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-20190720_124621.jpg

Awesome tarmac -
My Triumph Street Triple S – Ownership Report-ontheway...2.jpg