Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 17:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India

BMW Motorrad has announced the first ever GS Experience in India. GS Experience is a 2-day training session conducted by BMW Certified Trainers. It offers riders an opportunity to experience the capabilities of the GS range of bikes. The training sessions will be conducted on both tarmac and off-road.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-05-bmw-motorrad-gs-experience.jpg

On the first day, BMW GS owners (800cc+ category) will go through Level 1 of BMW Motorrad off-road training. It includes basic familiarity of the motorcycle, understanding of correct rider position, enduro steering, emergency braking and riding on inclines.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-01-bmw-motorrad-gs-experience.jpeg

On day 2, participants will get to experience the entire BMW GS range including the BMW G 310 GS, BMW F 750 GS, BMW F 850 GS, BMW R 1250 GS and BMW R 1250 GSA.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-gse2.jpg

The GS Experience will be held in 11 cities - Chandigarh, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Kolkata, Kochi, Chennai, Bengaluru and Coimbatore. It will also serve as the selection ground for GS riders who will represent India at the International GS Trophy 2020, which is scheduled to be held in New Zealand.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-gse1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th March 2019 at 17:27.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 12:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India

Have requested a signup for their TD experience in Bombay on 10th. Let's see if I get a slot. Quite sold on the 1250GS Rallye as my next bike
Old 8th March 2019, 13:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Chandigarh and Gurgaon happened last month. I attended the one in Gurgaon which was near Sohna on an off-road track. It was very informative, techniques that we otherwise learn by riding or meeting experienced guys or are doing wrong way all the time were taught with practical demonstrations.

There were about 10 different types of exercises followed by a trip to trail. It was 10/10 kind of event. Definitely recommended for the owners of adventure bikes or guys who are planning to buy. They do it on 2 days, First day is exclusive for BMW GS bike owners and charges are around 5000 INR which includes Breakfast, Lunch and Tshirt/ Gift. Guys who are planning to buy one can attend next day which is without any charge and they do 2-3 exercises in about 2 hours per session. Breakfast/ Lunch/ Snacks are complimentary.

Group Picture

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.16.40-pm.jpeg

Some valuable tricks

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.17.39-pm.jpeg

GS has amazing weight distribution and the Instructor handles it as if we were to handle a 5 Years old Kid bike. This bike was standing still for some time on it's own with zero support.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.20.21-pm.jpeg

If you have to fall, keep legs wide.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.19.45-pm.jpeg

How to Lift the bike alone or with help

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.19.19-pm.jpeg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.26.56-pm.jpeg

Some pictures from the track.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.21.30-pm.jpeg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.26.18-pm.jpeg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.27.22-pm.jpeg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.23.31-pm.jpeg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.22.31-pm.jpeg

Trail was around 15 Km away from the track and we thoroughly enjoyed. Whatever we learned in the day was put to use

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.28.19-pm.jpeg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-whatsapp-image-20190308-1.30.34-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th March 2019 at 13:54.
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 13:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Kick ass. Kawasaki in Bangalore did one lesson and was never heard from again (the dealership). Kawasaki really needs to hire a customer engagement team at a corporate level and drive these initiatives. I am sure they are sitting on pots of money.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 18:09   #5
BHPian

Anybody here attending this event in Bangalore?

My details have been submitted. Awaiting confirmation from Tusker BMW
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:28   #6
BHPian

BMW Mountain Safari Ride 2018

The BMW Mountain Safari Ride 2018 video

Surprising to also see in the group an R1200RT and S1000RR tackling that tough terrain with all their tupperware!

Last edited by Haroon : 2nd April 2019 at 21:29.
Haroon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 17:10   #7
BHPian

I loved what the instructor said. The bike is more capable to handle slush than you are lol. So true!
Given how difficult I found the level 1 training, this is stuff of dreams for me right now.
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-img20190309wa0016.jpg

This is how I fell.

I may be wrong, but a smaller bike for that kind of journey may be a lot more manageable. I really want BMW to get a 700-800 cc boxer engine, shaft drive GS with the same suspension travel, but maybe 50 kilos lighter. And while I dream, I don't mind a DCT gearbox.
nitrogary is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 17:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post

I may be wrong, but a smaller bike for that kind of journey may be a lot more manageable. I really want BMW to get a 700-800 cc boxer engine, shaft drive GS with the same suspension travel, but maybe 50 kilos lighter. And while I dream, I don't mind a DCT gearbox.
BMW already has the 850GS in that segment.
Old 6th April 2019, 17:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
BMW already has the 850GS in that segment.
I am fully aware of the F750/850 bikes. I want to see a smaller shaft drive, boxer engine GS from BMW which will have their telelever and paralever suspensions.
There was an R850GS which was an air cooled engine. That must have been 15 years back though.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am fully aware of the F750/850 bikes. I want to see a smaller shaft drive, boxer engine GS from BMW which will have their telelever and paralever suspensions.
There was an R850GS which was an air cooled engine. That must have been 15 years back though.
Both the Shaft suspension & telelever suspension carry extra cost which would make the 850GS way more expensive than competiton (Tiger / Super Tenere / Multi 950) as well as reduce the attractiveness of bigger GS. If you want these 2 - ponyup for the daddy GS.
Old 8th April 2019, 09:37   #11
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
If you want these 2 - ponyup for the daddy GS.
Bhpian nitrogary already has a BMW R1200GS as his potent weekend tool.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Bhpian nitrogary already has a BMW R1200GS as his potent weekend tool.
My apologies then - he owns one of the daddy bikes already
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I loved what the instructor said. The bike is more capable to handle slush than you are lol. So true!
Given how difficult I found the level 1 training, this is stuff of dreams for me right now.
Well machines are more capable than man/woman and I experienced it at the recent GS Experience event held in Pune alongside the Level 2 GS Training Event.

I had casually registered for the BMW event and luckily the venue was very close to where I stay! Pestered another bhpian to register. I'll let him share his experience.

Here's mine,

Morning session was going on and we were mere spectators. Seemed like a cake walk. Let's do the registration. Wow, there's breakfast (free), let's have it!

Briefing with some videos (indoors):
- Marketing of bikes, GS range
- Publicity of trainings and programs with GS owners
- Branding/Merchandise and gears
- Sister companies BMW/Mini

Entire GS range available for experience:
1. 310GS
2. 750GS
3. 850GS/A
4. 1250GS/A/Rallye

Limited number of above bikes were available on first come first serve basis to ride. It was obvious to stick with one bike for the entire event hence no switching was observed.

Pirelli and Metzeller enduro tyres were promoted as best suited tyres for GS.

Changes to bikes:
1. RVMs removed
2. Handle bar pivoted forward
3. Rubber mounts of footpegs removed
4. Enduro/Pro modes set
5. ABS off (not so sure)
6. Lowered tyre pressure
7. Lowered windscreen
8. Suspension at lowest setting
9. Seat at lowest height

Course included:

A] Session/Demonstration on bike (stand still)
- Body position, standing on foot pegs
* Stand on arch of the foot, toes inwards
* Knees slightly bent forward
* Grab the tank with inner thighs
* Hip bent slightly, torso forward
* Back straight, shoulders relaxed
* Elbows bent and outwards
* 2 fingers on levers for both clutch & brake

- Vision: Look where you go
* Chin up, look ahead
* Turn your head to look side ways
* Look at the next cone not the immediate one

- Steering control while standing
* Put pressure on the foot peg in the direction you want to turn
* Anchor inner (with respect to the turn) leg
* Slide outer leg along the tank

All of the above seemed well known and obvious, isn't it? But it was easier said than done!

B] Riding sessions
- Short trip on tarmac outside the track
- Go around the dirt track for couple of laps
- Feedback from trainer
- Slalom course
- Go around the dirt track for couple of laps again

For me the experience was overwhelming as I've no experience of a high capacity bike. Then came the terrain, 4 to 6 inches of loose soil means you are battling for traction!

One thing was made pretty clear that NO gear NO riding! After gearing up I got to grab the 750GS (only one was available) The ride on tarmac was comfortable. After the standing session everyone was standing on footpegs even on tarmac as if the seat had thorns.

Back to the dirt track and oh boy every corner was a scare and the moment you pass through one the feeling was out of this world, "Bach gaya!" Before you could celebrate your corner victory another corner was smirking at you already. It was exhausting. The summers didn't help either.

I've ridden on bad roads but with much less power on the tap! This was a two step battle, first the big bike, second the theory above to be implemented. And as they say all battles have to be fought in your mind first.

As I got into some sort of rhythm we're asked to stop for the Slalom course (A Slalom Course is a course in which you zigzag between obstacles.)

It was a hot day, and the laps were exhausting. Turn by turn we went into the Slalom course. I was scared to fall and it seemed evident but somehow I managed. First round, I was just there missed a few cones, requested another round as the drill was to head back to the track to implement the steering control of Slalom course. Second iteration was better.
But still putting pressure on foot pegs to turn was not coming naturally, it was a conscious effort to implement only at few turns. I was grabbing the tank for my life!

One tip tried to follow was clutch control and NO brakes. In addition, learned that these bikes can roll at speeds upto 10 kmph without throttle in 1st gear!

The following laps around the track was marginally better but the feeling of staying on the bike was relieving! Learned a lot, implemented a few but the experience was great!

The trainer, Shahnawaz Karim was dynamic and knew his business! The lead rider on a 1250GS Rallye, Ajit Bharadwaj was leading from the front. There were enough power slides on show from both of them.

At the end how to pick up your fallen bike was demonstrated. Not going into details but you should experience it to do it. Last tip was how to fall, avoiding the falling machine!

Went back home in awe of Adventure riders, watched plenty of GS videos to keep smiling all day.

Heartfelt thanks to BMW Mottorrad India for the event/food/beverages and a goodie bag, they have nailed it. Someday I would garner enough courage to ride a R1250 GSA (at such events).

Urge all bhpians to participate in such events to un-learn, learn, implement and practice your skills. Don't be afraid to fall it's part of the package. Luckily I didn't.

Let the wheel spin out,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 16:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sharing some photos from Day1 (level 2 training), source social media feed of BMW Motorrad.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day101.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day102.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day103.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day104.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day105.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day1group.jpg
Pune BHPians should be able to spot familiar face in front row, 1200GS Rallye pro owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Pestered another bhpian to register.
Thanks, hadn't expected BMW to oblige so quickly.

Quote:
I'll let him share his experience.
Short answer, wasn't a pleasant one for me. Lot of unlearning in short span of time for off-road riding although I did like riding on road in beginning of our time slot.

You have already shared your experience in words, let me enhance it via photos, photo credit facebook/insta feed of BMW Motorrad.

Briefing with some videos
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day201.jpg

Shahnawaz showing body position & sharing other tips
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day202.jpg

Steering position dance exercise
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day203.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day204.jpg

This is how one should ride in off-road, vision far forward, stand-up position, legs gripping the tank. (Surja's photo).
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day205.jpg
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day206.jpg

And this is not how one should ride, sitting down, vision quite near (my photo).
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day207.jpg

It was easier to ride standing up on straights and few corners, however I had to sit down on 1 corner in every lap. I had to do mental preparation to stand up and ride. Looking further ahead is easier on straights, however when surface is loose, handle starts wobbling, fear starts to set in making to look at nearby surface. And that's a perfect recipe for a fall and I learnt it hard way.

Group photo at end of our batch.
BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-day2group.jpg

Quote:
One thing was made pretty clear that NO gear NO riding!
I think this was good to ensure only committed riders turn up for event and not make it a crowd.

Quote:
At the end how to pick up your fallen bike was demonstrated.
I did well to pick up bike after my fall except 2 things, my butt wasn't touching saddle and I hadn't put up side stand before lifting the bike.

Quote:
Urge all bhpians to participate in such events to un-learn, learn, implement and practice your skills.
Be ready for plenty of unlearning for sure, footpeg position was major one for me.

Personally for me, before trying another off-road riding, I would prefer attending off-road driving school now.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 18:25   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Excellent posts by Sukiwa, Turbanator and others.

I got an invite to attend the event in Hyderabad and it was awesome. Pretty much the same format as the others have described already. The trainer Shahnawaz Karim and his partner were awesome, both had amazing skill with the bike and were able to explain everything very well.

The first thing that they checked as we came in was gear... Shoes, Jackets, Helmet, Gloves, knee protection etc, No Gear => No Ride.

Luckily I had been told of this before so I went and got myself a good jacket and gloves, the others I already had with me

They had the whole range of bikes and I had requested to reserve a F850 GS and was given that one, I had the choice of the larger bike but decided not to as I do not have the experience to ride such a big bike. Learned a lot of stuff in the couple of hours and would love to continue to ride off road, unfortunately there are no off road trails that i know of around Hyderabad, none of the BMW showroom guys had any idea about it too.

Overall I Loved the event and would recommend it to everyone who has an interest in off road riding. As an aside, I was told that the event was held at the farm of the BWM showroom owner as they could not find any other place, although the BMW X drive guys had a better course for their X cars demo. Maybe they can get a better course next time.

Here are a couple of pics from the event.

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-20190414_100804-small.jpg

BMW Motorrad brings GS Experience to India-20190414_100448-small.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 7th June 2019 at 18:53. Reason: Formatted for readability
chandu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed