Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:58   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Suzuki V-Strom 650 | Now 70,000 kms up

Wow, that is some very serious mile munching indeed! I look forward to your Adv 390 thread as well. What do you use for luggage when you head out on your long rides? Your bike always seems bereft of saddlebags or tank / tail bags, so I am curious.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
What do you use for luggage when you head out on your long rides? Your bike always seems bereft of saddlebags or tank / tail bags, so I am curious.
I use a backpack for carrying luggage. I am still on the lookout for a pannier system that's decently priced.
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:23   #48
BHPian

Re: 40,000 KMs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
The V crossed 40,000 KMs during last week.
Congratulations on the milestone!

Can you please share some info on the maintenance costs till now?
  • Chain + Sprockets life and cost of replacement?
  • Brake pads life and cost of replacement?
  • Other expenses, part failures, warranty replacements, if any.

Wishing you many more miles!
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
[*]Chain + Sprockets life and cost of replacement?
I got it changed just before the NE ride at around 28,000 KMs mark. It cost me ~ 15,000 Rs.This was JT sprockets & DID chain. The OE costs 30,000 Rs if I remember correctly.
Quote:
[*]Brake pads life and cost of replacement?
They're changed at the same time when I got the chain sprocket kit changed. Replaced the OE with EBC (6,000 Rs). These were the front ones. The rear ones are still going strong.
Quote:
[*]Other expenses, part failures, warranty replacements, if any.
Other expenses include:
*Oil/Oil Filter change--> ~ 2.6 litres of engine oil which is 2600 Rs+ 600 Rs Oil filter. The oil change interval that I follow is every 6,000 KMs
*Spark plugs (she needs 4) --> Each plug costs ~ 600 Rs (NGK). Supposed to be changed at every 12,000 KMs
* Air filter --> ~ 2500 Rs.Supposed to be changed at every 18,000 KMs

No part failures/replacements till date !
rb2399 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 22:22   #50
Team-BHP Support

What an excellent thread of a brilliant mile munching machine. I'm curious why you flipped the 390D for the 390A though. A Duke and V strom sound like a brilliantly varied garage. Each with a distinct purpose.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2020 at 10:13. Reason: Typos.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I'm curious why you flipped the 390D for the 390A though. A duke and v strom sound like a brilliantly varied garage. Each with a distinct purpose.
The ADV is geared more towards touring (which is my primary focus) and hence I traded the D for it.

On a side note, the ADV and the V serve different purposes as far as I am concerned.
If it's the Himalayas, I cannot think beyond the 390. On the other hand if it's a GQ run, has to be the V !
rb2399 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:17   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ADV is geared more towards touring (which is my primary focus) and hence I traded the D for it.

On a side note, the ADV and the V serve different purposes as far as I am concerned.
If it's the Himalayas, I cannot think beyond the 390. On the other hand if it's a GQ run, has to be the V !
Ok - I get that completely specially as shorter rider who owns a Tiger. If I had to do Spiti or Himalayas I might consider using a hired Himalayan rather than my Tiger. Not for the bike's limitations but my own confidence in handling a top heavy bike in terrain like that. I am specially concerned about tight roads with oncoming traffic where one side is a drop - not sure I want to test my leg reach on a big heavy bike in those conditions.

My only long ride has been Bombay to Hampi and I think I am definitely more biased towards road touring over offroading per se. But the mountains are glorious just for the views they offer. Would love to do that again on an RE or something similar that's manageable.

Btw - if you don't mind my asking what kind of work do you do for a living. I am always envious of people who can manage to take out this kind of riding time. Personally I have to remain connected most of the time - very hard to go incommunicado for any number of days and find that frustrating.

Do keep the posts coming. Its great to read the ownership experience over so many thousand kms over such a short time frame. I'm sure this will be useful for people who want to consider putting serious miles on their big bikes. Look forward to the 390A posts too.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th June 2020 at 08:18.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:20   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Number 1 and only reason i flipped my Versys for the 390 adventure. I couldn't stand or sit the GQ anymore. Mindless droning listening to the same music over and over again really got to me.

Though i studiously avoid the friends who ride the GQ now.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Ok - I get that completely specially as shorter rider who owns a Tiger. If I had to do Spiti or Himalayas I might consider using a hired Himalayan rather than my Tiger. Not for the bike's limitations but my own confidence in handling a top heavy bike in terrain like that. I am specially concerned about tight roads with oncoming traffic where one side is a drop - not sure I want to test my leg reach on a big heavy bike in those conditions.
Another aspect to this is the sheer weight of the big bikes. I ride alone most of the times and am all by myself. So picking up the bike after a fall on my own matters !.
I had a fall from my ER-6n before chandratal lake and just could not lift the bike in any which way possible. People will tell you use leverage and all but that's fine for YouTube videos. Not all falls occur in real life that way !

Quote:
Btw - if you don't mind my asking what kind of work do you do for a living. I am always envious of people who can manage to take out this kind of riding time. Personally I have to remain connected most of the time - very hard to go incommunicado for any number of days and find that frustrating.
Oh, I am a salaried person and juggling between the office work and riding is always not that easy.It's just that riding makes me forget everything and hence that's always priority # 1. Once you get that straight, everything else falls in place !
rb2399 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 23:11   #55
BHPian

Fantastic review. I must thank the followers of this thread to for the many relevant questions_ which have been answered.
If i buy this to add to my stable, which i hope to do with the new 2020 launch that was just announced- I will have you to thank for that.
Thanks again.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 09:36   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I think she'll now see fewer KMs getting clocked as the ADV 390 has joined the stable :-)...!
Congrats and good to see updates and higher mileage on the bike. Have you done enough kms on the 390 Adv for a comparison?

Love to hear on every front compared to the VStrom. And have fun - nice to see you taking time for rides.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th June 2020 at 09:37.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 08:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Have you done enough kms on the 390 Adv for a comparison?
Unfortunately the lockdown has meant very low KMs on the ADV, so I am really not in a position to compare the two (longer rides wise).
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, I am a salaried person and juggling between the office work and riding is always not that easy.It's just that riding makes me forget everything and hence that's always priority # 1. Once you get that straight, everything else falls in place!
You just summed it perfectly Sir.

Cheers from another Wee owner.

P.s. - There are only three Wee threads here and I'd check for updates on all of those like my life depended on it during the preceding months before getting mine. You have some insane mile clocking abilities, that too with just a backpack!
Sayan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:53   #59

Hi,

Wonderful review, congratulations on the bike. You are one serious mile muncher!

Wanted too check if the Suzuki dealership in Pune still open? They are no longer listed on the Suzuki website.

Cheers,
Vikas
vickypedia1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickypedia1975 View Post
Wanted too check if the Suzuki dealership in Pune still open? They are no longer listed on the Suzuki website.
Dream Suzuki is still the big bikes dealer for Suzuki in Pune. I confirmed this after talking to my contact person there.
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed