Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:36   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
TusharK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,671
Thanked: 13,115 Times
Default Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Honda has launched the CBR650R in India priced at Rs. 7.70 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

The CBR650R is based on a diamond type frame and measures 2,135 mm in length, 749 mm in width, 1,149 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,449 mm. The bike weighs 210 kg (kerb weight) and comes with a 15.4-litre fuel tank.

Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh-cbr650r_grand-prix-red.jpg

The CBR650R gets a twin LED headlamp setup in the front with a digital instrument cluster, a stepped seat and a single underside exhaust. It comes with 41 mm Showa upside down fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear.

Powering the CBR650R is a 648.72cc, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that produces 87 BHP @ 11,500 rpm and 60.1 Nm @ 8,000 rpm. The engine is paired with a 6-speed gearbox via a slipper clutch. It has Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) for rear wheel traction, which can be switched off.

Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh-cbr650r_matte-gunpowder-black-metallic.jpg

The bike comes equipped with twin 310 mm discs at the front and a single 240 mm disc brake at the rear and dual-channel ABS.

The Honda CBR650R is available in two colour options - Grand Prix Red and Matte Gunpowder Black Metallic.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:50   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: India
Posts: 12,040
Thanked: 31,786 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Directly against the Z900 priced at 7.69 lakhs.

Will be an interesting fight to watch - both inline4 Japanese machines, one a 948cc 125ps machine, and the other with fairing and a more comprehensive equipment list. There's also the Suzuki GSX S750 priced slightly cheaper at 7.46L.

Indian spec bike also seems detuned as the international spec had 95ps of peak power.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd April 2019 at 17:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:21   #3
BHPian
 
Nitish.arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 82
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

As a current owner of the CBR 650f, it's the most value for money bike you can get. Bang on for the price, plus absolutely cheap maintenance and parts unlike Kawasaki. Very reliable and solid build.
And the best part, runs on normal fuel.

The new one adds everything to the plate which was missing on mine. A worthy pocket rocket for newbies, a proper sports tourer for seasoned bikers.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2019 at 08:07. Reason: Please do NOT type with excessive dots....like....this....Thanks!
Nitish.arnold is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:50   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 677 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Directly against the Z900 priced at 7.69 lakhs.

Will be an interesting fight to watch - both inline4 Japanese machines, one a 948cc 125ps machine, and the other with fairing and a more comprehensive equipment list. There's also the Suzuki GSX S750 priced slightly cheaper at 7.46L.

Indian spec bike also seems detuned as the international spec had 95ps of peak power.
Not gonna sell a fraction of volumes of Z900 in our market. Honda has priced it atleast 1L more than what they should have - they will import 100-150 units a year and would be happy in selling them off.

Last edited by ethanhunt123 : 22nd April 2019 at 19:52.
ethanhunt123 is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:57   #5
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 651
Thanked: 1,215 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

I personally feel that this bike will end up in a no man's land - A tourer would find it too sporty where as someone looking at a 600cc supersport would find it not hardcore enough.
On the flip side, the full fairing + inline-4 craze of India may draw many people too.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of the riders here on the approach Honda took with this revision. Would the existing owners (most of whom are tourers) of 650F have bought this one if it was available when they bought theirs?

Last edited by theredliner : 22nd April 2019 at 19:59.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:31   #6
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 714
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I personally feel that this bike will end up in a no man's land - A tourer would find it too sporty where as someone looking at a 600cc supersport would find it not hardcore enough.
On the flip side, the full fairing + inline-4 craze of India may draw many people too.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of the riders here on the approach Honda took with this revision. Would the existing owners (most of whom are tourers) of 650F have bought this one if it was available when they bought theirs?


The USP of the 650F was the versatility it offered: Touring, some amount of fun while cornering, commuting - it was comfortable doing it all.

While the gizmos and the better aesthetics are surely welcome, I for one wouldn't pick this one, as any more forward lean than the current 650F wouldn't be comfortable for all day riding for me.

With the jump in ideology from F to R (and not outright RR. Why?), this product indeed seems to be in no man's land.
Added_flavor is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:46   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: India
Posts: 12,040
Thanked: 31,786 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
Plus absolutely cheap maintenance and parts unlike Kawasaki.
With the new premium dealership network getting established - I would wait and watch on this factor.

Will be delightful if Honda maintains their reputation for low service costs, but with an independent setup and the resultant low economies of scale - I just don't see the possibilities of that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I personally feel that this bike will end up in a no man's land
Agreed, but on the flip side - There are people like me who thought the 650F (original) looked boring, the new one is anything but that. Should bring in some excitement among the youth who purchase their first 650s.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd April 2019 at 20:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:38   #8
BHPian
 
tarik.arora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Noida
Posts: 386
Thanked: 775 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

I think the pricing is just about right. It has most of the things a middle-weight bike should possess (not sure about the riding position though).

A lot of people will compare it with the Z900 mainly because of the price point, which IMO is fair. We all compare cars from different segments while making a buying decision, mainly constraint by the vitamin M in hand. Kawasaki sold ~450 units of the Z in the last FY and i expect Honda to achieve 60-70% of that.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:20   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 260
Thanked: 670 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I personally feel that this bike will end up in a no man's land - A tourer would find it too sporty where as someone looking at a 600cc supersport would find it not hardcore enough...
Spot on. You nailed it.

The other thing that will put off tourers is that this bike does not look too comfortable for two up riding. Although one doesn’t ride two up everyday. The ability to do so comfortably when needed is an important aspect for people looking for machines to go the distance; even if that distance is only a couple of hundred miles at a time.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd April 2019 at 12:40. Reason: Typo corrected
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:45   #10
BHPian
 
aabhimanyu04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 106
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

I know this is an apple to orange comparison but if you are looking at sports tourers why not an adventure tourer like the Versys 650 (almost 1L cheaper Ex showroom) or a Suzuki V-Strom with much better pillion comfort, bigger tanks (improving tank range). Yes, if you are single with no worry about the pillion, you may like the CBR650, or the Ninja650. I ride an R3 and my wife absolutely hates the rear seat of this motorcycle.
Having said this I have to ride solo most of the times, which means most of my ride plans are rejected by home ministry even before the project planning stage
Like someone mentioned here, this bike may not have a lot of buyers, or should I say buyers who prefer touring with pillion.

Last edited by aabhimanyu04 : 23rd April 2019 at 11:50. Reason: grammar
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 13:52   #11
BHPian
 
AtheK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 1,370 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Don't think Honda would have priced it any cheaper then what they did, i was more expecting them to price it around 7.99. Honda products are typically expensive then counterparts, but not necessarily deserving.

I was in market for this bike, and i thought it ticked all the boxes for me, but somewhere i lost interest, it's not the product per say, but just that the more i spent time thinking about it, the more realized that this product is too expensive for nearly 10 Lacs OTR in bangalore.

In this price range i can actually start eyeing a mildly pre-owned Ninja 1000, which will be a much more versatile bike, again people might say it's orange to apple comparison, but once i open up my mind to be ready to go pre-owned, some real good options open up.

In the end i will still say this is a commendable job, and good honda got it to india quickly, but at the same time, i think they took current cbr 650f sales as benchmark, and seems that is where they missed a trick. They might be happy selling same volumes as what they do with CBR 650F, but this was a much better product.

Best of luck to Honda.
AtheK is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 16:19   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 1,377
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

The launch of the new Honda CBR650R is a sign that the market is slowly but steadily maturing. When the previous generation Honda CBR650F was launched, every one said it wasnt sporty enough (while pointing out to the supersport brothers from its past for inspiration) and it looked bland and was too much of an all rounder. Honda have addressed all these with the revised 650 which looks smashing and is more sporty while losing some of its all rounded-ness. Now that also seems to be an issue, it looks like Honda cant win! For what it is, the new 650R looks to be a very good bike indeed. I hope Honda is able to push its dealers to invest in test ride bikes because that could push buyers into actually opening up their wallets instead of just reading reviews and watching Youtube videos.

When we get to truly be a mature market, we will have buyers looking at each market offering for their respective merits and demerits and then making an informed purchase decision based on priorities. As the old saying goes, horses for courses.

Solely judging and purchasing bikes on price is the reason why there are so many big bikes for sale on Olx with less than a few thousand kms on the odometer. And the owners invariably jump to a different bike with a completely different usage. Otherwise till the cows come home, we will continue to compare the CBR650 with the Apache 310RR saying both are red and both bikes look big and hence they are competitors or we will compare the CBR650R with the GS1200 and say both are tourers but CBR650R doesnt come with pizza delivery panniers or a boxer engine etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
With the jump in ideology from F to R (and not outright RR. Why?), this product indeed seems to be in no man's land.
It should carve a nice for itself in the Indian market. Im seeing an increasing number of buyers now make purchase decisions of new superbikes (I use this term loosely) based on service quality and overall perceived company support. Honda scores very well in these areas as well as lower service cost so far.

No RR because globally everyone wants a 600 supersport on their computer wallpaper but not actually in their garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agreed, but on the flip side - There are people like me who thought the 650F (original) looked boring, the new one is anything but that. Should bring in some excitement among the youth who purchase their first 650s.
100%, the mini Blade looks are a very smart move from Honda.
neil.jericho is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 19:27   #13
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 752
Thanked: 782 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
I know this is an apple to orange comparison but if you are looking at sports tourers why not an adventure tourer like the Versys 650 (almost 1L cheaper Ex showroom) or a Suzuki V-Strom with much better pillion comfort, bigger tanks (improving tank range). Yes, if you are single with no worry about the pillion, you may like the CBR650, or the Ninja650. I ride an R3 and my wife absolutely hates the rear seat of this motorcycle.
I think this bike is slightly better for occasionally touring people and who mostly tour on paved roads like me. Most of the time the bike is used as a weekend ride and once or twice in a year for 1-2 day trip. This is where this bike scores well. I have taken mine to even a track day and had nothing to complain about its performance on the track.

Personally one big apprehension I have with adventure tourers is size and seat height. I am not very tall, but I wouldn't be comfortable on even a versys 650 because of the tall seat height.


Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The launch of the new Honda CBR650R is a sign that the market is slowly but steadily maturing. When the previous generation Honda CBR650F was launched, every one said it wasnt sporty enough (while pointing out to the supersport brothers from its past for inspiration) and it looked bland and was too much of an all rounder. Honda have addressed all these with the revised 650 which looks smashing and is more sporty while losing some of its all rounded-ness. Now that also seems to be an issue, it looks like Honda cant win! For what it is, the new 650R looks to be a very good bike indeed. I hope Honda is able to push its dealers to invest in test ride bikes because that could push buyers into actually opening up their wallets instead of just reading reviews and watching Youtube videos.

100%, the mini Blade looks are a very smart move from Honda.
Completely agree with you on all accounts. In my friend circle only, 2 potential Street triple or 790 duke buyers are considering this seriously because of the looks and more sporty riding experience.

Rachit

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 23rd April 2019 at 19:28.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 20:51   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

As long as Kawasaki charges 3 times the price for the same spare parts and has 2 times the price for service costs, the 650R like the F will have no issue managing 20 units per month, the HMSI target. It will still be assembled on the old F line where 1 bike was assembled per day.

I suggest more people to keep an eye on the sbk service thread to know about the fleecing by some manufacturers before you plonk your hard earned money on the so called vfm bikes that may cost less upfront but will settle the dues from inflated maintenance bills.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 23rd April 2019 at 20:52.
Nithesh_M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 21:51   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 677 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
As long as Kawasaki charges 3 times the price for the same spare parts and has 2 times the price for service costs, the 650R like the F will have no issue managing 20 units per month, the HMSI target. It will still be assembled on the old F line where 1 bike was assembled per day.

I suggest more people to keep an eye on the sbk service thread to know about the fleecing by some manufacturers before you plonk your hard earned money on the so called vfm bikes that may cost less upfront but will settle the dues from inflated maintenance bills.
I doubt Kawasaki bosses would lose their sleep over 20bikes a month when they are happily selling double those volumes of Z900 per month.
ethanhunt123 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India in 2017: 4.65 lakh road accidents, 1.48 lakh deaths & 4.71 lakh injuries Shumi_21 Road Safety 14 2nd November 2018 12:11
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh dZired The Indian Car Scene 553 1st June 2017 12:31
Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh man_of_steel Superbikes & Imports 224 21st April 2017 11:53
New Honda CR-V launched at Rs 18.4 lakh navdeep The Indian Car Scene 59 5th January 2007 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks