Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:39   #121
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
A question for the owners of Strom650 - I test rode a BS4 version here at a Bangalore dealer and the gear box was really notchy. To a point that my ankle joint hurt for a day post the test ride! I was riding a bike after a decade so for a moment, I assumed it was me rather than the bike. However, the muscle memory kicked in after few mins of riding so I dont think it was me.

When I asked why was it so notchy, I got a random answer from the dealer that how they intentionally keep it for test ride bikes. Huh. I wanted to confirm from the owners that in reality, I assume the gear box is noticeably smoother?

Plus, if I would look to use the bike for mountain rides, does this have good low end torque to avoid frequent downshifting? Curious around the rideability for such a use case.
VStrom 650 has one of the smoothest and sure slotting gearboxes. There seems to be some issue with the bike you test rode. As Kozhissery Sir mentioned, engine oil also matters. Since the bike is a BS4 one, it must have seen many oil changes by now (or did it?!). Many dealers/ASS press Motul 700V for this bike, which is not the correct oil for this use case.

As for low end torque, this one has more than enough. If riding in 3rd or 4th gears, there is hardly any need for gear change during normal city riding. The bike pulls cleanly from 2-2.5 k RPM onwards. That, and excellent heat management means that the bike is also a good city runner. It also pulls easily on hilly slopes.

2 cents from a fellow Strom owner.

Cheers,
Sayan

P.s. Beautiful shots Kozhiserry Sir. Reminded me of the Badami caves and Sravanabelagola Jain temples in Karnataka.

Last edited by Sayan15 : 22nd August 2022 at 09:46.
Sayan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 11:04   #122
BHPian

Hi All,

I just picked up a new V Strom 650, and I have some queries regarding accessories. I wanted the crash bars from Suzuki but the dealers couldnt get it in time of delivery. I am now looking at aftermarket options. I saw the Givi ones for ~15k, but I saw reviews of vibrations because of installing this one. The SW motechs are also available but seems to be ~25k. I've also come across an option by Nexus gears which come out to be ~14k. This one looks substantial and seems to be made from bigger tubes. Does any of the members or anyone you know have any experience with the same?
kkSolo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 23:23   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkSolo View Post
Hi All,

I just picked up a new V Strom 650, and I have some queries regarding accessories. I wanted the crash bars from Suzuki but the dealers couldnt get it in time of delivery. I am now looking at aftermarket options. I saw the Givi ones for ~15k, but I saw reviews of vibrations because of installing this one. The SW motechs are also available but seems to be ~25k. I've also come across an option by Nexus gears which come out to be ~14k. This one looks substantial and seems to be made from bigger tubes. Does any of the members or anyone you know have any experience with the same?
Congratulations!

A fellow Wee rider here. I have the SW Motech crash guards. Solid would be an understatement. I've dropped the bike a few times and basically even crashed it. And it's come out aces! I would say, it's well worth spending that premium on a crash guard.
I had shared some pics of my crashed crash guards.

Even the Suzuki crash guards are highly recommended given that there are dedicated mounting points for them on the bike. If you can wait, then get them.

The NexusGears guard had negative reviews about it causing vibrations. Don't know anything about its protection capability though.

All the best!
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 00:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
All the best!
Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate the advice. I preferred the Suzuki bars but unfortunately it wasn't available by the time I took delivery. SW Motechs it is and now to source it from Bangalore or Cochin.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th February 2023 at 06:15. Reason: Quote trimmed.
kkSolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 06:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
I've also come across an option by Nexus gears.
Congrats and welcome to the world of Wee.

I've Hepco Becker and swear by it. I have dropped the bike a lot of times (all at parking speed) and always it has been saved by the guard. As you are from Bangalore, you can get it from BikeNBiker (they do the installation too).

Last edited by aah78 : 18th February 2023 at 06:15. Reason: Quote trimmed.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 00:46   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Congrats and welcome to the world of Wee.

I've Hepco Becker and swear by it. I have dropped the bike a lot of times (all at parking speed) and always it has been saved by the guard. As you are from Bangalore, you can get it from BikeNBiker (they do the installation too).
Thank you so much @kozhissery oh! Hepco Becker is another option I missed, but I already ordered the SW's. I am originally from Kerala. I've checked with Bikenbiker, but have been told that there could be delays in delivery so going ahead with Autoqueen, Cochin, as they already had the SW's in stock. Will be getting it installed next week when I get the first service done!

I'm also thinking of going the PPF route for the tank. Any ideas on good installers and also what the costs are like. Some of the quotes when I did a prelim enquiry is 8k -10k just for the tank, which seems a bit too much to be honest. Are these ok prices?
Old 19th February 2023, 12:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I am originally from Kerala.
From Kannur, right? From where did you get the bike, Kozhikode?

Quote:
I'm also thinking of going the PPF route for the tank.
Any ideas on good installers
PPF is good idea, but it gets quite dirty and the muck cannot be removed (which means that the tank is protected). Even I'm planning to change the PPF and looking for someone at Kozhikode. The place where I had got it seemed to have shut shop during Covid times.

The condition of PPF after 3 years of usage. While travelling with bags, I cannot lift my leg over the seat and frequently the boot touches the tank, particularly towards the evening when I get tired.

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-img_9068.jpg
kozhissery is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 23:50   #128
BHPian

Quote:
From Kannur, right? From where did you get the bike, Kozhikode?
Yes Kannur! but I got it from Cochin. I pretty much test drove all the bikes and made the booking in a spur of the moment. Didn't realise that I had enquired at Kozhikode too much earlier, but I think there were some delays in responses from their end too.

Quote:
PPF is good idea, but it gets quite dirty and the muck cannot be removed (which means that the tank is protected). Even I'm planning to change the PPF and looking for someone at Kozhikode. The place where I had got it seemed to have shut shop during Covid times.

The condition of PPF after 3 years of usage. While travelling with bags, I cannot lift my leg over the seat and frequently the boot touches the tank, particularly towards the evening when I get tired.
I surely will get the PPF done. I'm sensing scruff marks are going to happen at some point or the other. Is it possible to get it done in one single piece for the tank as opposed to having multiple pieces?
Old 20th February 2023, 06:58   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Kannur! but I got it from Cochin.
How is the service over there? I'm getting my bike serviced at APCO Suzuki, Kozhikode. The service engineer over there is quite good and am happy with the service, only negative point is that for a service I've to do about 800 kilometers (distance between Trivandrum to Kozhikode comes to just under 400 KMS). I'm also scouting for a reliable place near me. I did meet a very good guy in Kochi, who suggested to get the major service like valve clearance to be done at authorized service center. So my next service will be at Kozhikode, after that will have to check some FNG.

Quote:
PPF - Is it possible to get it done in one single piece for the tank as opposed to having multiple pieces?
Technically it should be possible, but then you will have to take the tank out. I did get the PPF in the initial days itself, so was apprehensive in taking the tank out.
Old 20th February 2023, 13:12   #130
BHPian

Quote:
How is the service over there? I'm getting my bike serviced at APCO Suzuki, Kozhikode. The service engineer over there is quite good and am happy with the service, only negative point is that for a service I've to do about 800 kilometers (distance between Trivandrum to Kozhikode comes to just under 400 KMS). I'm also scouting for a reliable place near me. I did meet a very good guy in Kochi, who suggested to get the major service like valve clearance to be done at authorized service center. So my next service will be at Kozhikode, after that will have to check some FNG.
Not too sure about the service center. I will be doing my first service soon, and will update here. Im in a similar state with the service center. Kannur to Cochin is roughly 250 km one way, maybe i'll switch to the Calicut service center for the later periodic services.
Old 1st March 2023, 14:03   #131
BHPian

Quote:
How is the service over there? I'm getting my bike serviced at APCO Suzuki, Kozhikode.
I completed the first service from the cochin showroom. Pretty decent for the first experience. Arrived at the showroom around 11 got done by 5. Should've arrived earlier, but with all the highway construction its not easy. Got the crash bars fitted during the service as well, and was charged extra for it, which I didn't mind as it was bought from outside. The oil used was Suzuki's own ecstar.
Old 8th March 2023, 07:14   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Not too sure about the service center. maybe i'll switch to the Calicut service center for the later periodic services.
I got my vehicle serviced last Friday at Kozhikode. It was a major service which started by 9:00 and was completed by 5:30.
I heard that you had a talk with them regarding V-Strom but they could not get the bike for you. APCO Suzuki has lost the big bike dealer ship to Kochi, which means that APCO Suzuki cannot sell big bikes but can continue to service the big bikes (for now).

Quote:
I completed the first service from the cochin showroom. Pretty decent for the first experience.
Good news for me. Do they allow you into the bay area? In Kozhikode and Delhi, they do allow you into the service bay area.
kozhissery is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 18:17   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Good news for me. Do they allow you into the bay area? In Kozhikode and Delhi, they do allow you into the service bay area.

Oh yes, I did have an opportunity to go into the service bay to take a look at the bike when on the lift. I don't think that should be an issue.

I did hear about the Kozhikode showroom losing its big bike dealer tag, maybe they're going the Honda Bigwing Topline way.
Old 8th March 2023, 21:52   #134
BHPian

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking

After a long time (due to Covid), I did take beaky for a spin during year end. After that trip it was time for beaky to get serviced. Did the service last Friday. As usual rode up to Kozhikode and reached the service center by 8:30AM and the bike was on the service bay by 09:00AM. This being 33,000 Kilometers service, it was a major one. As the throttle valve sync was done, decided to change the coolant too.

The changed items were:
1. Coolant - Super long-life coolant - Blue - 2 Litre
2. Engine Oil Ecstar 10W-40 R9000 Fully synthetic - 3 Litre
3. Engine Filter
4. Fork Oil
5. Brake Oil
6. Brake Pads

Head being opened for Throttle Value Sync (front view)
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-01.jpg

Head being opened for Throttle Value Sync (back view)
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-02.jpg

Head being opened for Throttle Value Sync (front view)
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-03.jpg

Close view of the Crank-shaft - No changes were needed, the gaps were as per the book - Another 24K before next check
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-04.jpg

Top view
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-05.jpg

Sealed the head with this
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-06.jpg

Oil change after 6K kilometers
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-07.jpg

Air filter seems to be Ok - Service engineer said that it will go for another 6K - so left it for next service
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-08.jpg

Changed the brake pads - Front changed to EBC sintered, and for rear brakes used same Suzuki brand
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-09.jpg

Just a comparo
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-10.jpg

Rear brakes almost NIL
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-11.jpg

Fork Oil replacement in progress
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-12.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-13.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-14.jpg

Last was the replacement of Brake Oil
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-15.jpg

Materials used (forgot to place filter and brake pads)
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-16.jpg

Total expenses
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-20.png

All in all, quite happy with the bike. Could have avoided changing of the coolant, but the can where it was drained made me think otherwise.

A small glitch happened after leaving the service center (about 10 kilometers), the rear brake started to fade quite a lot and I did panic. Called my service engineer and he came down to the place and removed the air bubble. He even mentioned to let the air out after riding about 500 kilometers (need to do that).
kozhissery is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 22:27   #135
BHPian

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking

I had mentioned the title in one of the image wrongly. It was mentioned "Throttle Value Sync (front view)" which is wrong, it should have been "Valve Clearance Check". Thanks rb2399 for pointing out this to me.

Throttle body sync was done using Suzuki SDT. After changing the brake oil they did check the ABS too. Just connect the SDT, depress the brake pedal fully, then a command is given using the SDT and you can feel the brake shudder.
kozhissery is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks