Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2019, 08:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
2015 Model means it was probably a BS3 model. Wonder how it got registered ?
Dealer registered as first owner and then you are the second. Thats how it's usually done.
Old 16th July 2019, 01:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Dealer registered as first owner and then you are the second. Thats how it's usually done.
Not possible to do that post 2016 I think. If you remember there was large scale sales of all kinds of 2 wheelers then. So it's highly unlikely. Happy to be proven wrong.

There was definitely no Thruxton R anywhere for 5.5. I'm 100% certain because I was in the market for one.
Old 14th October 2022, 22:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only times I've seen this happening in the car industry is if:

- The brand made the dealer over-invest in TD vehicles

- The dealer is giving up on the brand

- New models are coming up

- The manufacturer itself has offered to take up the burden of providing TD vehicles. This happens with some niche brands or cars (the TD vehicles are then shared with the media for reviews)
Hi GTO,
Let me know how to go about if it is a SBK. Triumph T120 Demo Bike TC (Red) registration with ODO 4000+ However the Mfg of the bike is on Dec-2021, Considering it is in good condition (Test drove the vehicle and also looked out for any scratch marks etc..) how much discount can i ask for? The current on-road price for a new vehicle is 13.74L. What should the negotiating price be? I think it might have been 13.55-13.6 during Dec-2021, i am not sure. It is a BS6 variant. Still i am negotiating and i am standing at 12.5 whereas they are quoting 13.03
Old 14th October 2022, 23:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainyLad View Post
Hi GTO,
Let me know how to go about if it is a SBK. Triumph T120 Demo Bike TC (Red) registration with ODO 4000+ However the Mfg of the bike is on Dec-2021, Considering it is in good condition (Test drove the vehicle and also looked out for any scratch marks etc..) how much discount can i ask for? The current on-road price for a new vehicle is 13.74L. What should the negotiating price be? I think it might have been 13.55-13.6 during Dec-2021, i am not sure. It is a BS6 variant. Still i am negotiating and i am standing at 12.5 whereas they are quoting 13.03
That's hardly a 6% discount for an year old demo bike used / abused by dealership staff as well as customers. Why would you even want to go for it? Even with a warranty thrown in, it could lead to heart burn. Just get a brand new one instead.

If you want to save some money, look for a bike owned and cared for an individual even if it has a few thousand kms more. The T120 is better than its smaller sibling though so that's a good one to pick between the two.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 14th October 2022 at 23:59.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 00:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi GTO,
Avoid it. Even at your quoted price, it is a bad deal. Demo bikes in general are a bad idea, more so at miniscule discounts. Just 1.25L more, not even 10% of your quote, would buy you peace of mind.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 09:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Triumph T120 Demo Bike TC (Red) registration with ODO 4000
Run as far away as you can from this deal. Don't even dream of buying a demo bike. You will be entering Dante's 7th layer of hell with the bike troubles you will face. I have written multiple posts about demo bikes - majority have frame and engine casing damage.

On a separate note, are you looking to buy a super bike or are you looking for a good deal. There is a major difference in the purchase process. The former means doing your homework and looking at new bikes, the latter is just buying something that falls within your budget and letting go of it once the riding itch has been scratched.
no_fear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 16:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
On a separate note, are you looking to buy a super bike or are you looking for a good deal. There is a major difference in the purchase process. The former means doing your homework and looking at new bikes, the latter is just buying something that falls within your budget and letting go of it once the riding itch has been scratched.
Very true No_fear,
I am indeed planning for a new bike and my choice is on T100 or speed twin 900. This demo bike and another second hand swayed my thoughts. I realise now and to be honest maybe I just wanted to hear it once from bhp-ian friends . Now happily have erased the thoughts.
I love the T100 for what it is (the classic and posture) and street twin comes in the budget with the selective accessories(protection kits, back seat rest and Center stand) that I had saved for a SBK over the years.
I intend for a long term ownership.
The only part left now is T100 or Speed twin 900. My first SBK and I am ranting off in multiple threads. It took some time for me to get acceptance from Family and now they see that I am serious about it and have given their blessings as well.
So it all comes to these two bikes.
T100 - solid classic look and posture and foot pegs where I want it to be and looks to be worth it. City ride I believe it can be managed. Highways I would cruise around 110-120 which this bike would do. My wife likes it !!
What makes me think: Spokes and rims with tube tyres in T100. The 1.5L more pricing is the reality but keeps me thinking why this big a delta and is it worth so much?

Speed twin 900, no sweat ready to book !! My puncture worries are compensated. Because of its lighter weight not sure on the highway performance.

Ah, ranting off again !! Early forties !! First SBK !! Sorry guys, bear with me
BrainyLad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 09:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
What makes me think: Spokes and rims with tube tyres in T100. The 1.5L more pricing is the reality but keeps me thinking why this big a delta and is it worth so much?

Speed twin 900, no sweat ready to book !! My puncture worries are compensated. Because of its lighter weight not sure on the highway performance.

Ah, ranting off again !! Early forties !! First SBK !! Sorry guys, bear with me
If you have an option, always go for tubeless. The pain of dragging the bike in case of a puncture or worst even getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a tube tyre is something which should be avoided.

I would suggest that save a little more and go for Speed Twin 1200. That's a keeper for life. Not that "Speed Twin 900" (it's actually a Street Twin which was renamed recently) is something you wouldn't enjoy but 1200 will take the experience to another level.

But if you are planning to also use the bike for commuting, then go for Speed Twin 900.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:42   #24
BHPian

Thank you the_skyliner,
I have currently narrowed down to speed twin 900 since i am planning to use it for commuting as well. Shall keep posted.
BrainyLad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you the_skyliner,
I have currently narrowed down to speed twin 900 since i am planning to use it for commuting as well. Shall keep posted.
I recently acquired a 2017 Street Twin. After fixing of necessary things, this bike is just so soul-satisfying. Wish you miles of smiles!
shabih is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 09:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
I recently acquired a 2017 Street Twin. After fixing of necessary things, this bike is just so soul-satisfying. Wish you miles of smiles!
How is the highway ride experience. I would like to cruise at around 100-120kmph. With a pillion (my better half) around 30% of the time. And sometimes within city. Also planning to do longer rides. The height works out as well for me considering I am just 5.2.
Old 26th October 2022, 09:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
How is the highway ride experience. I would like to cruise at around 100-120kmph. With a pillion (my better half) around 30% of the time. And sometimes within city. Also planning to do longer rides. The height works out as well for me considering I am just 5.2.
Good timing, yesterday we did a kind of long ride with mixed city and highway conditions. Here's how I'd summarise my experience
  • Excellent highway manners. My wife is not particularly fond of speed so I kept it between 70 to 90 on the expressway and it handled beautifully. There's plenty of power for quick overtakes and sedate cruising when you want to. When I ride alone, a 100 kmph cruise is a lovely experience. One pull of the throttle though changes character completely. It reaches stupid speeds in no time and you can feel like a hooligan if you wish to.
  • City conditions: Again brilliant in the city, very smooth in mild to bad traffic conditions. The throttle is very linear so you're not facing issues when rolling off the gas. Heat is something to watch out for in slow moving traffic conditions though.
  • I am 5.8 and my wife is about 5.2. Both were very comfortable. It is very easy to move around.
  • The only gripe I have is with the suspension. Every time I went over road undulations the bike felt like a boat on turbulent water. It just dives front to back. And every time I went over potholes or road imperfections, it sends jolts to the rider. My wife didnt complain about suspension though, she's new to being a pillion so has limited understanding. But I felt that they left a lot to be desired and I might want to fix them at some point. On solo rides, the suspension is not so bad but with pillion I personally did not like it's manners.

The Street Twin is certainly an entertaining bike and I am loving it
shabih is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 13:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Good timing, yesterday we did a kind of long ride with mixed city and highway conditions. Here's how I'd summarise my experience
Thank you Shabih, Great timing indeed, Since this Friday I am checking Versys-650 as well. I am doubtful on the height management side. But still going with an open mind.
Then again to Triumph Street Twin. Tiger, neither me or my wife is comfortable.
Any back-rest you had added for your pillion?

Quote:
  • The only gripe I have is with the suspension. Every time I went over road undulations the bike felt like a boat on turbulent water. It just dives front to back. And every time I went over potholes or road imperfections, it sends jolts to the rider. My wife didnt complain about suspension though, she's new to being a pillion so has limited understanding. But I felt that they left a lot to be desired and I might want to fix them at some point. On solo rides, the suspension is not so bad but with pillion I personally did not like it's manners.
Thanks, This is an important point considering expansions going on Chennai-Bangalore highways and the 140 kms stretch seems to have a lot of undulations and sudden bump up on newly laid roads.
Any wind blast issues you faced or cross-winds disturbing the stability on the bike? What is the max distance have you travelled? 😬Too many questions I guess! But I am gathering as much details since ST for Test drive is not available in Chennai or Bangalore and while I am waiting for it I am getting hold of any reviews on the ST.

Pretty sure you would have tried it already, but I saw in the post that greasemonkey had his ST’s suspension adjusted. Not sure if you had tried that to avoid the scraping on Speedbreakers and if this helps on the undulations you observed.
Old 27th October 2022, 10:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I am doubtful on the height management side. But still going with an open mind.
Any back-rest you had added for your pillion?

Any wind blast issues you faced or cross-winds disturbing the stability on the bike? What is the max distance have you travelled? ��Too many questions I guess!

Pretty sure you would have tried it already, but I saw in the post that greasemonkey had his ST’s suspension adjusted. Not sure if you had tried that to avoid the scraping on Speedbreakers and if this helps on the undulations you observed.
Hey BrainyLad, I understand the importance of having these questions addressed as a new buyer. I was in your situation few months back, full of questions myself and hence I am happy to help a friend in need.
  • If you're considering a tall bike, height management will be an issue in the long run. I had the second-gen Duke 390 and one of the major gripes I had with that monster was the height. Over time I realised it was taking the fun away from riding and hence height became of the reasons I had to let go of it.
  • On my interceptor I have a Zana luggage rack with a detachable backrest. It looks really ugly hence no plans to install one on the Street Twin. However, the previous owner of the bike has fitted a luggage rack which I am yet to test.
  • As for windblast, my bike has a windscreen that blocks out wind up to the neck. For a naked roadster, you should expect windblast anyway but I didn't experience too much instability. So far my longest ride has been 60 km one way. I intend to do a longer ride before winter sets in. Will report its highway manners then.
  • Suspension: I am considering Tec Bike's progressive front springs however, currently the INR to USD conversion is not helping me make that decision. In my 1500 km of ownership, I am yet to find a speed breaker that scrapes the belly, hopefully, I never find one. I will check Greasemonkey's experiments, pardon my ignorance but is he/she a member of TBHP? I remember watching a vlog by Abhinav Bhat who had installed preload adjusters on the front. I have preload adjusters on my interceptor and it makes a whole lot of difference. Tec Bike kit comes with progressive springs and preload adjusters.

Here's a picture of the bike with the OEM windscreen and the luggage rack for your reference.

Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?-20220921_133216.jpg

Last edited by shabih : 27th October 2022 at 10:09.
shabih is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hey BrainyLad, I understand the importance of having these questions addressed as a new buyer. I was in your situation few months back, full of questions myself and hence I am happy to help a friend in need.
This means a lot. Thank you for understanding. I had almost zeroed in on Street Twin and unfortunately there is no test ride bike in Chennai nor Bangalore. I am trying to see any rental company to take a test ride once.
I seated myself and moved around and felt it was comfortable and given a thumbs up sign by my wife. Considering i had used a 350 TB (2005) on a highway, probably i did not have the issue with windblast since i would typically be within the sweet spot of 70-85. Also, this gave me confidence that when my 180kgs TB could take it then Street Twin there should be no issues.

Quote:
  • If you're considering a tall bike, height management will be an issue in the long run. I had the second-gen Duke 390 and one of the major gripes I had with that monster was the height. Over time I realised it was taking the fun away from riding and hence height became of the reasons I had to let go of it.
Thats a particularly good input. Thanks. Will consider this point when i test ride.

Quote:
  • As for windblast, my bike has a windscreen that blocks out wind up to the neck. For a naked roadster, you should expect windblast anyway, but I didn't experience too much instability. So far, my longest ride has been 60 km one way. I intend to do a longer ride before winter sets in. Will report its highway manners then.
I shall be eager to look out for it since the pitstops on gas stations i am good with considering enough gas stations are present in the highways and need pre-planning, but i think it is the highway manners on long rides is what i am looking at.

Quote:
[*] Suspension: I am considering Tec Bike's progressive front springs however, currently the INR to USD conversion is not helping me make that decision. In my 1500 km of ownership, I am yet to find a speed breaker that scrapes the belly, hopefully, I never find one. I will check Greasemonkey's experiments, pardon my ignorance but is he/she a member of TBHP?[/list]
This is the thread i was talking about - GreaseMonkey (BHP Handle) had got risers and adjusted the shocks:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...e-edition.html (Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks