Team-BHP - Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/210677-triumph-multiple-dealers-selling-off-display-demo-bikes-big-discounts-why.html)

As BHPians would have noticed already - Multiple Triumph dealers seem to be selling off their display and demo bikes at massive discounts. Although such practice is common among dealers to sell off older inventory, what raises eyebrows is -

1. Newer inventory being present in the list, especially the ones that haven't received any changes in the current MY.
2. Multiple dealers (At least four cities?) disposing off their bikes at the same time.
3. The volume of discounts - Tiger 800 at 5.5L onwards? Way less, even for a showroom TD vehicle! :Shockked:
4. Given their volumes, I doubt Triumph would ask their dealerships to renew their entire range of display and TD bikes at one go! Requires big investments and do the current volumes support it?

So, what's brewing - Triumph?

Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?-triumphdiscountsindia1.jpg

Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?-instimage.jpg

Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?-instimage2.jpg

Triumph: Multiple dealers selling off display and demo bikes with big discounts. Why?-instimage1.jpg

Could this be an outcome of the BS6 norms ? Giving a chance to dealers to clear out the stock.

I read a post where Baja is experiencing a similar situation at the end of the year where in most manufacturers will be selling two wheelers at huge discounts.

Logically speaking, A sub Rs1,00,000 2 wheeler with discounts can be sold within days.

But the market for expensive bikes > Rs 5,00,000 even with discounts will need a considerable amount of time to sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4613440)
Could this be an outcome of the BS6 norms ?

Thought about it, but some questions remain -

1. Nearly one year left for the deadline still.
2. Discounts are big enough, hence most of the inventory is reported to be sold, if online articles are to be believed.
3. If so - how are they planning to manage sales till BS6 stock comes in, without test ride bikes?

Quite odd, a google of “triumph India” brings up an article of 2 months ago claiming that they are going to expand their dealership network, so that explanation sounds like a dead end.

I’m not a guy who keeps his finger on the pulse of the bike market. Are these prices flippable? Would you be able to sell one for more than this price on the used market once this offer is over (if it doesn’t cause the prices to permanently depreciate)? If so, that sounds quite dubious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chieftain (Post 4613480)
an article of 2 months ago claiming that they are going to expand their dealership network

Past six months, Triumph sold an average of 60 bikes a month, which makes it 1 bike / dealer / week.

I doubt the current scenario allows them to expand their network - unless some big future plans are in the pipeline. (Like the ongoing discussions between Bajaj and Triumph, for example).

While it really is a good deal - especially on the Tiger and the Street Triple, does Triumph offer :

Extended warranty on the bikes?
Since these are demo / TD bikes, they would have been badly abused. Have the bikes been serviced or parts replaced to the standard of a new bike?
Insurance - how much is the validity? Will it have to be 1 year or 3/5 years as per the new norm?

The only times I've seen this happening in the car industry is if:

- The brand made the dealer over-invest in TD vehicles

- The dealer is giving up on the brand

- New models are coming up

- The manufacturer itself has offered to take up the burden of providing TD vehicles. This happens with some niche brands or cars (the TD vehicles are then shared with the media for reviews)

When the BS4 norms came in hard, dealers couldn't palm off the inventory in the short time they had. Most were laid back and relying on govt pushing the deadline further. However, when they realised it won't work out that way, they tried to dispose off the inventory but couldn't really do much. I remember BU Bhandari Triumph had an Explorer 1200 which they wanted to sell for a very negligible discount. I was like this is nothing for a non-BS4 bike and the reply was "Triumph have told us to only offer this much. We won't undercut and the company will take back the bike".

Was surprising since that would be a lot of inventory to suck up. Looks like this time around, they want to prep well for BS6 and not take on the burden.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4613651)
The only times I've seen this happening in the car industry is if:

- The brand made the dealer over-invest in TD vehicles

- The dealer is giving up on the brand

- New models are coming up

- The manufacturer itself has offered to take up the burden of providing TD vehicles. This happens with some niche brands or cars (the TD vehicles are then shared with the media for reviews)

I agree with this assessment. I think it is that the last two points are where Triumph is positioned right now. They do have new launches lined up, and, are very likely in the process of refreshing the bulk of the line up with TFT screens.

Additionally, they would be daft to not be worried about the KTM Duke 790, ADV 790 and the Super Duke R that are coming. Triumph may not lower prices to compete with these bikes, but, they may try flooding conventional and non conventional moto reporters with access to their bikes for first impression and long term reviews. I'm surprised that the Striple R hasn't made it to our shores as it is ideally set up in terms of hardware and performance curves for this country.

Visited their Pune dealer and they had a T120 2018 TD bike for sale. 2L off from the OTR price and with warranty from the date of registration. This was without even asking so probably its very likely that they would let it go for even lower price.

I guess they also have few more TD bikes for sale but I didn't ask as I was there to check out Street twin and T120.

Buying TD bikes is too risky I feel as you never know what wear and tear parts you would have to spend on which won't be covered under warranty.

Got this via Whatsapp. Seems like Harley Davidson dealerships are following suit. Some of the bikes date to 2017. Also offering ready finance

I have been following Triumph dealer in Mumbai and from what I have heard this is stock clearance sale.

Though you should be very watchful if you are buying the demo vehicle as they are abused and will surely have some issues or will have reliability issues.

But frankly, I will wait till feb 2020 if I am in market to buy a super bike as that's when you will get really good deals, even on the 2019 models.

The advertised prices and reality is quite different. I was really keen on Thruxton R which was advertised by both Delhi & Jaipur dealers for 5.75 but in reality they were asking for 7.3-8 lakhs for it. It's just a tactic of getting people into the door. No Thruxton R was sold for the advertised price. On principle I've decided against it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickdraw (Post 4620220)
The advertised prices and reality is quite different. I was really keen on Thruxton R which was advertised by both Delhi & Jaipur dealers for 5.75 but in reality they were asking for 7.3-8 lakhs for it. It's just a tactic of getting people into the door. No Thruxton R was sold for the advertised price. On principle I've decided against it.

I am aware of a Tiger sold at 5.5 ex-Delhi. It was a 2015 model, but '0' km run...so, some deals were i retesting for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 4620410)
I am aware of a Tiger sold at 5.5 ex-Delhi. It was a 2015 model, but '0' km run...so, some deals were i retesting for sure.

2015 Model means it was probably a BS3 model. Wonder how it got registered ?