Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 19:30   #121
BHPian

Re: Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
Have been looking to upgrade my motorcycle and have been shopping around and started doing research.

I usually ride almost every weekend and sometimes when I get time even during the week. I don't ride at fast speeds at all and like to stick to the 90 100 range. I would love to have an upright and comfortable seating posture which I think plays the biggest role when it comes to touring. Reliability and sensible maintainance and spares are the other requirements as I would like to ride the motorcycle rather than it being a garage queen.
Even my breakfast and Sunday rides are between 200 to 300 kms as I hate going for anything shorter than that. Not much of an off road guy and the max I would go is into some B roads and dust trails. My budget is 12 to 13 lacs at maximum as I would like to avoid financing the motorcycle as much as possible.
I have shortlisted the following motorcycles and would love to know your opinion on the same

1.Kawasaki Versys 1000
Loved the sheer size and road presence of it. Took a very very short test ride and was instantly home. Did not find it too big and unwieldy and could flat food one foot easily. Surprisingly my wife was very comfortable on the bike instantly ( she was not at all on the ninja) a longer test ride is due. Also hoping that kawasaki get the S model which has replaced the base model internationally.

4. A pre owned tiger 800
Another contender but I like the versys 1000 a bit more than this. But will keep looking for one if I get a sweet deal .

Don't like the vstrom / Africa twin purely on the basis of their looks.

The purchase will happen next year so I do have some time for the same

Thanks
Hamza
From your riding style, requirements and budget - a pre-owned Tiger 800 (XRx) would be most suitable. Pre-owned because you'd also get accessories packaged with it (like panniers, barkbusters, main stand, engine guards etc.) and can pay upfront and get it over with (since you don't want to go the financing route).

A lot many fully kitted up Tigers are on sale these days ranging around 9L to 12L INR.

I'm also assuming, from your later posts, that you're leaning more towards the Versys 1000. No doubt it's a great 'versatile' bike for pure touring and mile munching. I had taken a test ride back in early 2020 - found the weight with pillion to be too massive, especially when manoeuvring in the city. Was wondering how it'd be with luggage in tow? Despite the electronics, the japanese refinement and reliability - figured that wasn't the bike for me.

But if you think V1000 is the one - factor in the accessory costs as well. OEM kawasaki would be very expensive so better to look out for third party like SW Motech, Hepco Becker, Givi etc.

I still feel the road-variant Tiger XRX would be more value for money; pragmatism is the key
TheVaas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 09:04   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
As I said its more on the dealerships to offer a cashless settlement than the Insurance companies.
Totally agree. Could be a Shaman thing in Bombay.

Made the switch from HDFC to Bajaj.
From a coverage POV i did get all the bells and whistles necessary. And when renewing the policy had categorically asked if the coverage was cashless. Which meant i do not have to pay anything to procure the parts etc. And the response was an affirmative.

So now i don't know. And i hope i never know.

Cheers...
Old 16th July 2021, 12:22   #123
BHPian

I don't think beyond a point a bike is a rational purchase. A 12-13 lakh bike is completely irrational. So, no attempt should be made to justify it. More so by democracy. Get the one you really want and are tempted with. You're the one who will be riding and doing shenanigans on, not this lot on the forum. Unless you are attempting a pyramid at a parade or something.

Nothing we say could change your feeling about the bike you love. This is same as love. You go blind in love for a reason. And that reason is only reasonable to you.

So if the versys 1000 catches your fancy, I say ride that unicorn across the rainbow. It will make a mincemeat of your 300 kms breakfast ride. If your wife loves it too, you will definitely ride more. Yes it is heavy, and yes its weight would show its ugly head when you try to back it up or do panic braking or try and take a fast left just after a fastish right, but people have taken care of bigger problems while being in love.

Remember, irritants become quirks when you're in love. That's the best part about being smitten. So, get the one you fancy.

And no matter what you say or others say, your choices will change in 5 years. And you will and should replace it then. That you're not buying it on loan is a good thing. Make the most out of it.
forty6 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 13:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
Hello all

I usually ride almost every weekend and sometimes when I get time even during the week. I don't ride at fast speeds at all and like to stick to the 90 100 range. I would love to have an upright and comfortable seating posture which I think plays the biggest role when it comes to touring. Reliability and sensible maintainance and spares are the other requirements as I would like to ride the motorcycle rather than it being a garage queen.
Even my breakfast and Sunday rides are between 200 to 300 kms as I hate going for anything shorter than that. Not much of an off road guy and the max I would go is into some B roads and dust trails.
The purchase will happen next year so I do have some time for the same

Thanks
Hamza
Basis your inputs and my experience, exclusively on my N1000, All I can say is it's by far the easiest Motorcycle I've ridden in terms of posture, composure at speed and road manners.

I just did a Pune to Thrissur run last week and was fresh enough post 1300km over 16 hours ride.

On good roads I'd wager there's nothing more comfortable and reliable than a Japanese liter bike.

I had also done Pune->Vizag->Burdwan->Sikkim-> Guwahati with a few other places just before covid changed our world, on a variety of roads and while the bike handled it with aplomb, I wouldn't call it the most comfortable. It does pay off on handling and reliability. A friend on Versys 650 was happier with less sore bottoms.

The biggest gripe about Kawis are the "Authorised Service Center" in Pune, but given that you already have a 650 I'm sure you know either about Kunal or Hyperion or some other life saver.
As a side note, I got my N1000 during the BS4/BS6 confusion and was getting a Ducati Multistrada for around the same cost. Selected the Japanese as I loved the reliability of my earlier 650, probably one of the best decisions I've ever taken.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:18   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6 View Post
I don't think beyond a point a bike is a rational purchase. A 12-13 lakh bike is completely irrational. So, no attempt should be made to justify it. More so by democracy. Get the one you really want and are tempted with. You're the one who will be riding and doing shenanigans on, not this lot on the forum. Unless you are attempting a pyramid at a parade or something.

Nothing we say could change your feeling about the bike you love. This is same as love. You go blind in love for a reason. And that reason is only reasonable to you.

So if the versys 1000 catches your fancy, I say ride that unicorn across the rainbow. It will make a mincemeat of your 300 kms breakfast ride. If your wife loves it too, you will definitely ride more. Yes it is heavy, and yes its weight would show its ugly head when you try to back it up or do panic braking or try and take a fast left just after a fastish right, but people have taken care of bigger problems while being in love.

Remember, irritants become quirks when you're in love. That's the best part about being smitten. So, get the one you fancy.

That's a really nice way of putting it.
I agree that a Superbike is a very very selfish purchase. And not only the 12 13 lac ones but even less than that. I also agree with you as well about being in love with the one and the disabilities being quirks. The imposing huge stance and road prescene is what caught my attention first when I saw the versys at the kawasaki workshop.and from then have been following it closely. Since the purchase will happen next year am hoping Kawasaki gets the S model to India which has replaced the base model internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
Basis your inputs and my experience, exclusively on my N1000, All I can say is it's by far the easiest Motorcycle I've ridden in terms of posture, composure at speed and road manners.

I just did a Pune to Thrissur run last week and was fresh enough post 1300km over 16 hours ride.

On good roads I'd wager there's nothing more comfortable and reliable than a Japanese liter bike.

I had also done Pune->Vizag->Burdwan->Sikkim-> Guwahati with a few other places just before covid changed our world, on a variety of roads and while the bike handled it with aplomb, I wouldn't call it the most comfortable. It does pay off on handling and reliability. A friend on Versys 650 was happier with less sore bottoms.

The biggest gripe about Kawis are the "Authorised Service Center" in Pune, but given that you already have a 650 I'm sure you know either about Kunal or Hyperion or some other life saver.
As a side note, I got my N1000 during the BS4/BS6 confusion and was getting a Ducati Multistrada for around the same cost. Selected the Japanese as I loved the reliability of my earlier 650, probably one of the best decisions I've ever taken.
Hey nice to see a fellow Kawasaki owner from pune. Although have never serviced the bike from the Kawasaki center I have heard horror stories from others, a fellow bhpian had a huge issue with his zx6r which had a thread running here somewhere. I do give my bike to Mihir only at Hyperion and he does an awesome job. Do share some pics of your bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks