Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 23:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
And that's how you finalize on a bike.
Yes. Just demonstrated another way to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Sounds good. You are going to have a fun time with her. A fact check - it is the most common weapon of choice for people undertaking the ironbutt challenge.
I'm yet to decide the gender. And no ironbutt for me. I'm happy with my memory foam backside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
That's a terrific choice. I went through the same thought process and ended up getting the same.. Just add a bash plate, a crash guard, a center stand and handguards and you are good to go. Congratulations !
Looking forward to your thread and ownership experience. The guards will be the first to be put on.

Thank you all for the wishes.
Cheers.
Jay
Old 6th July 2019, 09:36   #47
Team-BHP Support

The V Strom is a fantastic bike and congratulations to the OP on choosing it. It really does fulfil his requirements very well - better than the versys in my view which is the primary competition at that point. (Although there are plenty sparingly used tigers at the same price too to be had).

My only objective take is that decisions, particularly on bikes cannot be made only with on paper comparisons. Test rides are crucial because the way each bike talks to you personally is unique. There are scores of on paper opinions I have had about numerous bikes and one ride later my views have sometimes changed dramatically. And they are actually personal only to me. Someone else may feel the opposite.

Safe riding and I hope to see you on a ride some time. The ADV culture is pretty active in Mumbai and we have lots of groups that ride together here.

Just found some pics of the lovely V Strom from our ride to Lonavla last weekend. Absolutely gorgeous looking in the monsoon mist even in that yellow. It's the last bike of the four.

On the initial mods I would definitely recommend barkbusters btw. They are as important as other protectors like fork and engine guard.

Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1562389418.530723.jpg

Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1562389442.150504.jpg

Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1562389489.736755.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th July 2019 at 12:42. Reason: Please use report post for mods attention. Thanks.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 10:56   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

Thank you all for the wishes.
Cheers.
Jay
Congratulations. Welcome to the world of Adventure tourers.

The White/Blue colour looks fantastic. Believe it is the third Vstorm in this forum with that colour combination.

Has Suzuki changed their service intervals?

Last edited by Vasuki : 6th July 2019 at 10:57.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 15:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Underpowered, bad suspension for Indian roads, Tandoori legs in traffic. Sorry but Harley’s might be half decent in American conditions but are a total misfit on our roads.
Tandoori legs are a thing of the past. These days an oil cooler keeps heat in check. Suspension is awesome and you almost idle at cruising speeds. Been using a Harley for rides across the country and it's nirvana that smells like freedom.
Rathore_13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 17:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The VStrom was initially not even in the list and I somehow overlooked it for reasons unknown to me.....

Bike booked - I pen this after having made a down-payment for the booking today.
Jay

Congratulations Jay! A splendid choice indeed.
ATGATT and Ride safe. Looking forward to your saga with her/him.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 22:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My only objective take is that decisions, particularly on bikes cannot be made only with on paper comparisons. Test rides are crucial because the way each bike talks to you personally is unique. There are scores of on paper opinions I have had about numerous bikes and one ride later my views have sometimes changed dramatically. And they are actually personal only to me. Someone else may feel the opposite.

Safe riding and I hope to see you on a ride some time.
Well.., to each him own and I respect your opinion. I've made much larger decisions than this in a similar way. Sometimes you reach a point in your life that when you reach a fork, you just know for sure which path to take.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. .

Quote:
Has Suzuki changed their service intervals?
Thanks Vasuki. Service interval I was told is 6 months /6k kms.
Old 7th July 2019, 06:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I buy a machine gun when I can do well even with a rifle?

It didn't take me long to answer all the above.
So decision came easy -
It's going to be a sexy white V Strom with blue streaks and blue rims.
Cheers
Jay
Amazing. Another person who thinks alike. My requirements were similar when I started looking for a two wheeler to use in India, though I was clear that I wanted usable power, not dollops of Bhp that could never get used on our roads here.

Initially booked an RE Conti thinking its only for occasional use. Circumstances led to me spending more time in India than I planned to, saw the bike in real life traffic and decided it wasn’t for me. Never compromise on an indulgence.

Ended up buying a Desert Sled Scrambler for a variety of reasons that I won’t go into, fully aware of its tandoori balls capability in bad traffic.

There has to be a bit of logic in buying a two wheeler for non-practical (ie commute) purposes, but it mostly goes by what makes you smile gleefully. Not a fan of “which thumb drive should I buy” threads myself.

Ride safe.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 08:47   #53
BHPian

Hey Jay,

My pick would be a Triumph 1200xc which was launched just last month.

The equipment on the machine Vs the price they’ve launched at is insane.

The brakes are the best in the business - Brembo M50s inspired from Street Triple RS with a different set of tune, Tubeless tyres with spoke rims is a combo which none of its peers has, Front fully adjustable Showas and Rear twin Adjustable Ohlins, WB almost as long as Tiger with 21” front and 19” tyre setup are some key features on it.

The whole package is Rs 10.5L approx Ex showroom.

I would choose a Scrambler over an ADV for the versatility of roads and lighter weighing machine that you get to ride including City rides like Mumbai.

I’m 6 feet too and found the bike very comfortable for our height.

Cheers
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 13:25   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spent 2 weeks deliberating over the keyboard and on the fone over a bunch of conversations. Decided on the Suzuki V Strom 650 and went for it.
Congrats!

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Versys, and with the VStrom being better in many aspects - I'm sure you have selected a long termer here! Looking forward to your ownership report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
1. It can be doubled up as a daily commuter.
2. Its very cheap (relatively) and easy to maintain
3. You will be more inclined to take more risks while offroading and not worrying about the damages
4. In case an of unfortunate fall, you wont have to spend so much on its repairs
Are we still talking of a BMW?

I doubt if any of these statements are applicable to the 310GS. It looks too flashy to be a daily commuter (Attention magnet in design and colours), service is neither cheap, nor is the network widespread, nor the parts easily available if risks are taken. Maintaining a 310 should turn out very similar to a Japanese 650, except of course - for the advantages of lighter weight.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th July 2019 at 13:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 07:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

[/quote]Ended up buying a Desert Sled Scrambler for a variety of reasons that I won’t go into, fully aware of its tandoori balls capability in bad traffic.
Ride safe.[/quote]

Thanks Steeroid. The Scrambler was also in my mental wish list but did not list it for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Hey Jay,

My pick would be a Triumph 1200xc which was launched just last month.
Cheers
Amey
The tiger 800 range starts from 11 + and the 1200 range starts from 17 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looking forward to your ownership report.
Yes will surely start one.
Thanks.
Old 10th July 2019, 09:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The tiger 800 range starts from 11 + and the 1200 range starts from 17 lakhs.
I think he is talking about the new Scrambler 1200xc and not the Tiger.

Price is around 10.8L ex-showroom. It definitely is worth checking out.

BTW, congratulations!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 09:30   #57
Team-BHP Support

Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?

You are right. He is indeed referring to the scrambler. Even I was confused when I first read the post and thought he meant tiger till I read till the end.

OP has rightly ruled out the 1200 scrambler XE because I would not rate it as ideal if he also wants to ride with a pillion (I think he ruled out Z650 for that reason). In any event the choice is made and booking done.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th July 2019 at 09:32.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 14:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Jay mate, so the Suzuki Vstrom 650 it is! great choice. As I said earlier the Vstrom 650 is an underrated bike for some weird reason. It betters the Kawasaki Versys 650 in many departments. I am a self confessed Kawasaki enthusiast but at present Vstrom 650 gets my vote.

If only Kawasaki priced their Z900rs sensibly I would have jumped in to buying it.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 10:17   #59
BHPian

My Bad! I meant Triumph Scrambler 1200xc.

@Axe77, @the_skyliner - Thanks for clarifying.

BTW Heartiest congratulations on the Suzuki V Strom 650. It was always a capable bike but failed because of the poor service interval they carried. Hope that's sorted now.

Happy munching miles! Catch you soon at the rides.

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 15th July 2019 at 10:19.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 10:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
It was always a capable bike but failed because of the poor service interval they carried. Hope that's sorted now.
Yes, that's sorted now. The service interval is 6000kms. Now one could argue that it should be 10000kms but given our harsh riding conditions, 6k is acceptable.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 15th July 2019 at 10:54.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed