Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 14:11   #46
BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
No confusion really, I understood your point. I was talking about the windshield edge too. My point was even if you feel that the edge comes in your line of vision, you will soon adjust and it becomes a non issue.

I've just done one service so I can't really tell. The service experience was okay but I sat in when the bike was being done to ensure satisfaction. There is also Slipstream Performance run by Kunal Bhaskaran who does a stellar job with big bikes so things should be okay on that front if there is an issue in the future. The only spare replaced was an oil filter so I don't know about availability of other parts.

The clutch is not hard at all. Just a two finger pull. I haven't felt the need to carry spare cables. Please feel free to come over and check out the windshield any time you like. Since I couldn't send you a PM, you can email me at firstname dot lastname (at) gmail dot com.
Sure. I will send you an email and check your availability. The way I remember, Dreams Suzuki guy had mentioned where you stay. So, its pretty close by for me.

BTW: Seems like Suzuki is launching new V-strom 1000 in Eicma tomorrow. Looks like they have addressed both the points, headlight as well as windshield in that model. But doesn't look like these changes will flow into 650 anytime soon.
Old 20th November 2019, 12:26   #47
BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

SW Motech ION Footpegs Install

One of the problems that I had with the V Strom was the slightly narrow footpegs. The OEM pegs were perfectly adequate in dry conditions but felt slippery in wet conditions. So I decided to upgrade to the SW Motech ION footpegs. I could have got the slightly more expensive EVO footpegs but I didn’t feel the need for all the extra adjustability that the EVO offered.

Here is the installation diagram.

Name:  Instructions.png
Views: 3070
Size:  116.6 KB

The installation was a DIY of moderate difficulty. The steps.
  1. Remove the existing footpegs by removing the circular clip at the end and easing the bolt out. This can be quite fiddly. I lost one of the circular clips in the process (so do keep a few spare ones around). Gentle tapping required to ease the bolt out.
  2. Assemble the SW footpeg. Please note that it is hard to completely tighten the nut labelled 3. You can tighten it fully after installation.
  3. The installation instructions are unclear on which side of the hinge adapter labelled 1 is up. I first mounted it upside down and had to correct. See the photo below for reference on which side is up.
  4. The pegs have a high and low position which is 15mm apart. I’ve kept it at the low position.
  5. Install the SW footpeg. Please note the position of the spring in the photo below. The footpegs should retract nicely after installation.
  6. SW recommends using medium strength thread locker while tightening nut 3 so do keep that handy. I used Loctite 243.

First impressions.
  • Very nice and stable platform. Extremely grippy with boots on.
  • Feels lovely standing up. A lot more room to move around.
  • The ability to shift gears standing up. Requires slight movement of the feet but far simpler than stock.
  • There is a slight buzz on the footpegs without the rubber. I suspect the rubber will stay on almost always.
  • I would have liked a stealthier black powder coated look. The aluminium finish stands out a bit.

A quick side by side comparison of the pegs.
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-comparo.jpg

This is the right side up for the hinge adapter. The pegs are mounted at the lower position for now.
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-hinge.jpg

Spring position for the install. Note the circular clip at the end of the bolt which is easy to lose if you are not careful.
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-spring.jpg

A pretty nice upgrade which I would recommend, especially for riders who have big feet or use large MX style boots.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 12:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
ne of the problems that I had with the V Strom was the slightly narrow footpegs. The OEM pegs were perfectly adequate in dry conditions but felt slippery in wet conditions. So I decided to upgrade to the SW Motech ION footpegs. I could have got the slightly more expensive EVO footpegs but I didn’t feel the need for all the extra adjustability that the EVO offered.
Wow, that's a nice customization. I assume its available locally?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th November 2019 at 12:34.
Old 21st November 2019, 14:32   #49
BANNED

Great choice, specially against Versys 650.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 16:22   #50
BHPian

A friend recently bought the V Storm and I was extremely impressed with its weight distribution and build quality. It really does seem like it does every thing well, city runs, highway cruising, off roading, pillion touring all seems to be up its alley. Sure it isn't as fast as other bikes, but neither is it as top heavy as its competition tends to be. Wish you many 100000s Kms of happy touring on it.
imp! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
I assume its available locally?
Yes. I bought this on bigbadbikes.com which is great. My friends got the same footpegs locally in Pune from the Biking Superstore, Balewadi.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 13:00   #52
BHPian

SW Motech EVO Quick Lock Side Rack Install

I’ve always preferred to use soft saddlebags on longer tours. SW Motech makes lovely side racks for the bike so I bought the Evo carrier from bigbadbikes.com and spent a couple of hours on Sunday installing it.

This is a DIY of moderate difficulty. The provided instruction manual is very clear but you have to carefully follow instructions. There is a big chance of stripped aluminium bolts so do take your time and get it right.
  1. First remove the rear rack. There are four bolts to be loosened. SW has supplied bolts as a part of the kit but you need to reuse a pair of existing spacers.
  2. Install three brackets as shown in the photo below. There is one main bracket at the rear and two smaller ones in front. Tighten the nuts back but do leave enough play so that the brackets move around.
  3. Install two brackets as shown in the photo below on the rear footpegs. Again bolts and washers are provided by SW. Keep it slightly loose.
  4. Remove the rear number plate bracket and drill two additional holes measuring 6.5mm on the mounting area (made of hard plastic) as shown in the photo below. I made a mistake here and did not get the measurement right and had to correct by drilling an extra hole.
  5. Mount the SW bracket and the number plate on it. Tighten it down completely.
  6. Mount the carrier. You will need to move the brackets around till everything fits nicely. Once you have the carriers mounted, apply thread locker to the bolts that carry the mounting brackets and tighten completely. I used Loctite 243.
  7. Each carrier has four spring loaded screws which click into place using a with a slight push and a twist with a screwdriver. Very nicely built and the racks can can be removed in a minute if you don’t need them which is super useful.

The racks are beautiful, fit perfectly and seem built to last. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles anywhere. I’ll keep this thread updated on their performance over a longer period. It’s also kind of ironic that the racks are several times more expensive than the Rynox saddlebags that I have but hey, I saved money buying this bike instead of the Tiger, didn’t I

Mounting brackets on the rack.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-rack.jpg

Mounting brackets on the footpegs.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-footpeg.jpg

Drilling holes. Mistakes were made.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-tail.jpg

Rear mounting bracket and number plate attached.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-tailmounted.jpg

Racks mounted. Four mount points ensures absolute stability.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-full2.jpg

Sits nice and flush. No issue for the rear passenger.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-both.jpg

Spring mounted screw that makes it super easy to take off the rack.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-screw.jpg

Chilling after a satisfying install.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-corgi.jpg

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 25th November 2019 at 13:08.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
[b][u]

The racks are beautiful, fit perfectly and seem built to last. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles anywhere. I’ll keep this thread updated on their performance over a longer period. It’s also kind of ironic that the racks are several times more expensive than the Rynox saddlebags that I have but hey, I saved money buying this bike instead of the Tiger, didn’t I
Excellent DIY.

How much do these racks weigh? And how much load do these bear?

I'm guessing these have an advantage over panniers in the load bearing department.

Quote:
Chilling after a satisfying install.

Attachment 1938790
Had a laugh looking at this pic!
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Excellent DIY.

How much do these racks weigh? And how much load do these bear?
Thanks GoBlue. Not sure how much they weigh but my guess would be around 3-4 kgs for the racks. They can carry 12.5 kgs on each side so 25kgs total.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:04   #55
BHPian

5000kms up on the V-Strom

Thoughts after 5000kms

With the odometer now at 5000kms and after doing a couple of longish runs, I felt that some additional perspectives on the motorcycle would be useful.

The Flow: Not sure if this is the right terminology but the bike has incredible flow. You can cover long distances on open highways, deal with all kinds of broken tarmac, handle twisties and the bike does exactly what you want. No drama, no fuss: just a touring machine that is perfect for our conditions. This is a bike which you grow to appreciate over time and doesn’t grab your attention the first time you ride it. Keep that in mind when you take a test ride.

Comfort on long distances: Absolutely spot on ergonomics for me. The only change that I have done is to drop the footpegs by 15 mm when I installed the SW Pegs. What’s especially good is how you can transition between sit-down and stand-up riding. There is a night and day difference in the fatigue levels between the Bonnie and the Wee when you complete a ride (which was expected, but not to this extent).

Build Quality: Nothing has gone wrong yet. No squeaks, no rattles and nothing shaking loose. Just regular chain maintenance and that’s it.

Tyres: It looks like they will last well beyond the third service which is at 12k kms. The bike seems to maintain its tyres very well which is great news given how expensive they can get. My only concern is the lack of availability of Bridgestone Battlax Adventure tyres so any pointers on getting these here would be appreciated.

Fuel and mileage: Just regular unleaded is fine. I have seen no discernible difference in power or mileage using higher octane fuel. I haven’t seen any variation based on pumps that I have filled at. I get 21-22 kmpl in the city and 25-27 kmpl on the highway.

The Range: You can do 500kms on a single tank of petrol by riding reasonably aggressively. I suspect that you can stretch this out to almost 540kms if you take it easy.

Gear Shifting: One of the problems that I had faced was missed upshifts during aggressive acceleration. That has gone away. I’m not sure if this is a result of things bedding-in or my adjusting to the shift.

The Lights: The stock headlights are perfectly adequate in the dark. I see no need for aux lights so I highly recommend owning the bike for a while and actually testing the effectiveness of the lights before you do anything. This is again subject to the kind of vision you have.

The SW Motech Footpegs: A game changer. It’s extremely good on tour and fantastic on trails giving greater stability and control. Along with the crash protection, this upgrade is an absolute must.

The Windshield: The Givi is terrific and has fixed the buffeting for me. It’s extremely well built. I highly recommend this upgrade.

Upgrades planned: Replacement of the stock horn to something louder. Maybe a Denali Soundbomb Compact which will only be used on the highway with the stock being used in the city.

The second service at 6000kms is coming up in a few days. I’ll update this thread on the service experience and additional thoughts once that is done.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 15:01   #56
BHPian

Re: 5000kms up on the V-Strom

Quote:
Thoughts after 5000kms
========
The second service at 6000kms is coming up in a few days. I’ll update this thread on the service experience and additional thoughts once that is done.
You are helping me to make the decision faster
Do keep sharing the prices of accessories as well, wherever possible.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Do keep sharing the prices of accessories as well, wherever possible.
Certainly. Here are the accessories, their cost and the source.

Unknown Brand Crash Guards: Graciously offered for free by the dealer.
SW Motech Bash Plate: Fitted by the dealer for Rs. 21,000.
Suzuki OEM Center Stand: Fitted by the dealer for Rs. 20,000.
Barkbuster VPS: From BigBadBikes for Rs. 11,800
SW Motech Ion Footpegs: From BigBadBikes for Rs. 9,900
SW Motech EVO Side carrier: From BigBadBikes for Rs. 24,400
Givi Airflow Windshield: From Revzilla for Rs. 11,500. Shipped locally to the US and carried back.

Total: Rs. 98600.

Warm, fuzzy feeling when every modification has made the bike better: Priceless

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 10th December 2019 at 08:24.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 15:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly. Here are the accessories, their cost and the source.
=====
Warm, fuzzy feeling when every modification has made the bike better: Priceless
Thanks for sharing the pricing!! One more question, if you will. Does the stock toolkit which comes with the bike, sufficient enough for these DIY activities? Or do you recommend acquiring a separate toolkit set available in market? Any recommendations there?
Old 17th December 2019, 16:44   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the pricing!! One more question, if you will. Does the stock toolkit which comes with the bike, sufficient enough for these DIY activities? Or do you recommend acquiring a separate toolkit set available in market? Any recommendations there?
A good brand 1/4 tool kit is always a worthwhile investment. Stanley is a good starter kit that won't break the bank.

Have always chucked the stock tool kit that came with the bike. Tools are a man's heels. You can't get enough of it
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 01:04   #60
BHPian

I just got the bigger brother of your bike. DL1000. Upgraded from a Vulcan 650 which I bought to get a hold of higher powered motorcycles. This one is awesome and I got a great deal on it owing to the winter. Mine is 2014 model with just 6500 miles on it. And the first thing I did is to remove that metal box and keep it in a corner of my garage. I'll get soft luggage bag after sometime. The GIVI top box stays with it though.

Good solid ride, easy to keep pace with the US Interstate rides at 80/90MPH and easy on pocket are major reasons for my choice. Now I need not worry about the Texas Interstate winds.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-vstrom-1000.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-vstrom-10001.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-vstrom-10002.jpg  

hema4saran is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed