Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 20:49   #76
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post

To be fair, Anzen did not restrict me to sub 5 km rides. But the 10 km I TRed in was so densely packed with traffic on WEH that I was more focused on not banging the bike anywhere, rather than on assessing how I felt. That is why I want a long TR on an open road. Still, I feel that my inability to not come away with a firm positive even after two (albeit small) TRs on the Versys makes me think that it’s not the bike for me.

By contrast, to paraphrase Ranjit, 5 minutes into the VStrom and I was smiling....in that same sense traffic that I ride the Versys in. I don’t need another TR on the VStrom at all. It’s just that hideous yellow colour that’s holding me back..... To tell you the truth, I would even have been ok if it was a mango like orange-yellow. But instead, it’s that pale yellow that looks like liver disease. Sorry, no offence meant to anyone.
I'm assuming the Anzen Versys TR bike is up for sale. A month ago or so, I had taken a test-ride on the bike, on that same traffic stretch and had the same fear as yours (not to bang into anything or anyone!) The TR bike for me had quite a few issues (they would have rectified it by now) since it's given out to a lot of moto-Vloggers, testers etc. and also makes the odd trips to bike events etc.; so wouldn't be the most confidence giving piece.

The VStorm is more vfm considering the electronics it has to offer over the Versys. I preferred the Versys to Vstrom because I was also looking at an ADV I could commute in our city (middle-class mentality activated!), which the former has an edge over. But yes, it's quite a confusing segment to say the least.

You could probably check with Anzen if they have any leftover BS4 stock to clear - and if they have it in the OP's white/blue scheme? Else, BS6 at over 7-8L+ OTR mumbai is what we looking at for either bikes.

Also, your earlier observation on the N650/Z650 being 'tiny'. I can understand the Z650 but the N650 is by no means tiny. It's got quite a presence because of the fairing and slightly longer wheelbase than the Z. But completely that the looks are no longer 'novel'.
TheVaas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 20:54   #77
BANNED

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There is a white and blue option available on the strom, so what are you on about...
The white and blue is NOT available anywhere in MH. Maybe I didn’t make that clear. If it was, I would be writing on a different thread right now.
Old 28th February 2020, 21:06   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The white and blue is NOT available anywhere in MH. Maybe I didn’t make that clear. If it was, I would be writing on a different thread right now.
The dealer can order a fresh kit in your color choice from the factory. That i made clear on my post. A friend did that and got not one, but two blues just a couple weeks back. They came in crates, and were pulled out in his presence. Pull the cheque book out, things should move.

Good luck

Ps: if dealer refuses, pm me. I will put you onto someone to make it happen. However if factory is also out of colour kits, then hard luck.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th February 2020 at 21:15.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:00   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
I'm assuming the Anzen Versys TR bike is up for sale....

You could probably check with Anzen if they have any leftover BS4 stock to clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The dealer can order a fresh kit in your color choice from the factory.
Just for everyone’s clarity, here is the full picture.

There is but one, or maybe two, bikes in the whole of MH; all yellow. Given proximity to end of BS4 timeline, there is no question of ordering one in any other colour. Dealer just isn’t interested in taking that order because it the bike is delayed, it cannot be registered after March.

I have the option of buying yellow and then painting it to something else. That would mean a whole another RTO process to get the RC changed. Also, bike's resale will tank given that people will think that it’s been in a wreck and hence repainted.

The only real option is to wait for BS6 stock. There is no visibility on when those bikes will come. In fact, all rumours are pointing to the end of the year for any BS6 Suzuki bike.

Now coming to the demo bike; yes the demo bike on which my test ride happened was a cool white and black. It is a 2018 bike. White and black was not even offered in 2019 (only white/blue and yellow/black in 2019). The demo white/black had 10k kms on it. I actually offered to buy that bike instead of the new yellow with zero kms. The sales guy told me that the white/black was already sold to.... wait for it..... one of their own staff who worked it out with the dealership owner many months ago.

So that's all there is to it folks. Either wait for non-yellow BS6 at the end of the year or wait for a non-yellow in the used market.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
It’s just that hideous yellow colour that’s holding me back..... To tell you the truth, I would even have been ok if it was a mango like orange-yellow. But instead, it’s that pale yellow that looks like liver disease. Sorry, no offence meant to anyone.

It does come in white too, y'know. Or you could paint it any color later (RTO endorsement following). Or maybe you'll learn to love the color. I was flabbergasted when the Karizma came out in 2003 in the bright tweety bird canary yellow. I wasn't into bright colors, but have since grown to like yellows (especially Ducatis! They seem to have forgotten yellow since 2003 or so).

Back when I was buying the Daytona, I wanted the white one with blue accents (blue subframe, blue decals and wheel stripes), but it was already sold to someone. The other option was the Diablo red (which too I didn't initially like, but have since come to find it acceptable) and preferred the Phantom black, which thankfully is metallic and glossy, and I've grown to love it. Especially after a wash and wax session. As the saying goes in a world of some shady activity I shalln't mention here, once you go black, you never go back

EDIT: I see you've since posted that white is out of stock all over MH. Repaint or repent, is what I can say ! Hope Red Liner can make mountains move and get you a white one.

Last edited by Ricci : 28th February 2020 at 22:21.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:

There is but one, or maybe two, bikes in the whole of MH; all yellow. Given proximity to end of BS4 timeline, there is no question of ordering one in any other colour.
But if you're getting a sweet deal, what's the problem?
I understand that you are not a big fan of the colour, but if its saving you some cash then why not?

My suggestion would be to not leave this sweet deal if you're really interested in one.

For the colour, get the tank wrapped.
iamahunter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 07:17   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, the last white one got sold two weeks back. I would do a personalized but subtle wrap over the tank and get on with life. You would do a 3m ppf anyway, so a coloured wrap is a no brainer.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 09:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:

So that's all there is to it folks. Either wait for non-yellow BS6 at the end of the year or wait for a non-yellow in the used market.
I was in the exact same confusion a month ago that you're in right now. (maybe more yellow bikes were available then). I was ready to make payment as and when dealer wished, for a white one. I spoke with couple of dealers from MH. Both told me right away that white colour isn't available with the factory itself. I was also shown a mail by one of the dealers that he had received from company stating the same (only yellow available).

I spent couple of days just like you. I even wondered whether I should wait. But all the information I got regarding BS6 upgrade online and offline pointed towards a wait of at least 6-7 months.

So I weighed in all my choices again. After already waiting for 3.5-4 years (since Versys 650 was launched) and twice coming very close to purchasing a bike I decided to go for it with my brain. I was getting the bike I wanted (most important) with a deal (bonus). I put my 'emotional' preferences aside, went to the showroom during first week of feb and finalized everything. I had to choose from 3 yellow bikes. Chose one of them and took delivery the week after.

And you know what, after couple of days of riding I started liking yellow tank and golden rims.
samyD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:30   #84
BHPian

Riding has mostly ground to a halt as Pune continues to be the center of the epidemic so the bike has being doing city duties. Given that riders had started to move around, I decided to take a short ride to Velhe, via Panshet and Kadve. The hills around Pune are magical in the monsoons. A very satisfying ride that was just super refreshing after being cooped up for all these months.

This was also the first real test for the Akrapovic on tour and it sounded sensational at sustained higher speeds. I immensely dislike loud exhausts but this is just right. Adds just the right dose of oomph to an otherwise practical (and some might argue boring ) bike. A worthy consideration for anyone looking for an upgrade.

Another bonus was how fantastic the Arai XD4 helmet was in the rains. The eyebrow vents work very well in dissipating the visor fogging without the need for a pinlock.

At the backwaters of Panshet

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-lake.jpeg

Kadve Ghat

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-hill.jpeg
ranjitnair77 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Riding has mostly ground to a halt as Pune continues to be the center of the epidemic so the bike has being doing city duties. Given that riders had started to move around, I decided to take a short ride to Velhe, via Panshet and Kadve. The hills around Pune are magical in the monsoons. A very satisfying ride that was just super refreshing after being cooped up for all these months.

This was also the first real test for the Akrapovic on tour and it sounded sensational at sustained higher speeds. I immensely dislike loud exhausts but this is just right. Adds just the right dose of oomph to an otherwise practical (and some might argue boring ) bike. A worthy consideration for anyone looking for an upgrade.

Another bonus was how fantastic the Arai XD4 helmet was in the rains. The eyebrow vents work very well in dissipating the visor fogging without the need for a pinlock.

At the backwaters of Panshet
Wow! Its been a while seeing mountains and water bodies.. Hope rains continue till September end or so. Now that they have removed restrictions of e-pass and all, looking forward to some long drive :-)
prajakt_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:26   #86
BANNED

Quote:
...The hills around Pune are magical in the monsoons. A very satisfying ride that was just super refreshing after being cooped up for all these months.
Whose is that other V-Strom?

Nice ride by the way. Been meaning to get out myself.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:

It would be great if you could post yet another, better recorded video of the exhaust note. Ever since I heard a Ducati Monster (probably an 821) in flesh recently, this itch is growing for an upgrade. A bolder exhaust note can add so much character to this otherwise perfect bike. Right now I'm bankrupt buying the 'necessary' accessories, so the exhaust will have to wait.

Great to hear you and your bike could finally get that much needed stretched run. I've (actually we since it includes wife as well) been sneaking out Sunday rides and clocked more than 1200 km since June end. Bike's sitting again due to heavy rains and micro-floods here around Gujarat. Used the time to kit the bike up. Kind of nail-bitingly excited to ride out again.

Cheers,
Sayan
Old 6th September 2020, 14:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan15 View Post
It would be great if you could post yet another, better recorded video of the exhaust note.
The existing video is pretty lame. Let me see if I can rig a good microphone to the bike and record an in-motion video so that everyone can hear the exhaust properly. Till then, you can check this video out. It's not the best quality and I suspect that the rider has taken the DB Killer out as it sounds louder than mine but it should give you some indication of the sound.

The choice is between the Yoshumura on the Akrapovic and you can't really go wrong with either of them.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 6th September 2020 at 14:35.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:27   #89
BHPian

Thanks for the video! This one sounded almost like a Bonnie TOR (from what I've seen on YouTube). Yours with the dB killer sounded better as per my taste.

Added another 245 km to the clock today. Met another Wee guy from Surat, for the first time in Gujarat since I got mine.

Cheers,
Sayan
Old 19th September 2020, 11:05   #90
BHPian

Malshej Ghat Circuit

So I took the motorcycle out for a slightly longer ride after a very long time. It had been a while since I had gone to the Malshej side so we decided to do the classic circuit. Pune - Narayangaon - Malshej - Neral - Khopoli - Pune. Roughly 330kms of mixed tarmac. Picked a weekday to do this to avoid crowding at Malshej. The whole ride was spectacular and is highly recommended.

The road conditions are okay all the way to Malshej. Some mixed tarmac between Malshej and Neral and a few diversions between Neral and Khopoli caused by road concreting and widening.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-map.png

Somewhere near Ozar

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-junnar.jpeg

We found a brilliant turnoff to a village called Khireshwar near Malshej. Spectacular scenes near the backwaters of the Pimpalgaon Joga Dam.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-img_7894.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-img_7896.jpeg

Additional thoughts and observations on the motorcycle
  • If there is one word to describe the VStrom, it would be effortless. It just dismisses all kinds of tarmac without fuss. It's so easy to ride and enjoy with just the right amount of power to keep things interesting.
  • The suspension is brilliant. I had concerns about its lack of adjustability but that now seems to be a theoretical point for a rider like me. It works perfectly on smooth tarmac all kinds of broken roads. I don't intend to do hard-core offroading with this. At some point, when this suspension gives way, I might experiment with Ohlins but I'm perfectly happy now.
  • Upgrading to wider off-road pegs (I have the SW Motech Ion pegs) is mandatory for every owner. It's a game changer. I can shift weight, change gears while standing up and I never feel that I will lose footing.
  • I'm now convinced that the Akrapovic slip on does not require a PowerCommander or anything like that. I haven't heard a single pop after 3000kms of riding with it. The bike doesn't overheat, there is no hesitation, no flat spot. Nothing. It's like a factory fitted exhaust but with that brilliant sound . I like to call it a mellow bellow.
  • No change in mileage post the exhaust upgrade. I got an average of around 28kmpl on this ride. That translates to a range of over 500 on a single tank. That's just fantastic.
  • Nothing has gone wrong in 9000kms of ownership. It seems to be keeping up the VStrom's reputation of bullet-proof reliability.

With the eye watering prices of all the ADV launches over the last year, the Wee offers tremendous value and lots of bike for the money being spent. This bike is going to be a keeper.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 19th September 2020 at 11:07.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks