Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 11:13   #91
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

The Tiger revisited

So I had the chance to meet up with an old friend who had a 2019 Tiger 800 XCA. He gave me the keys and I was off. I love the Tiger, I really do. I was really curious if, having used tall bike for a year and getting used to the ergos of an ADV, if I would revisit my decision to get the VStrom instead of the Tiger.

The short answer to that is no. But it is my fault, not the bike’s.
  • The Tiger was always so much better on the tech front. With the TFT, things have just moved to the next level. It makes the VStrom’s tech look positively dowdy.
  • The Tiger looks far better from most angles. The VStrom with its plain Jane headlight and busy engine section with tubes running everywhere is not a pretty bike.
  • The Tiger’s WP suspension is at a different level. It is just so plush. The VStrom’s suspension is very good for most conditions but it isn't this good.
  • I prefer the sound of the VStrom’s twin with the Akrapovic as compared to the triple with the Arrow. I just prefer a more raw and raspy sound.
  • The Tiger is smoother and much faster. The Wee would be soundly beaten in acceleration and top speed tests. I find the manner in which the Wee goes to be more interesting. Especially at the lower end of the rev range. Don’t ask me why. This is more of a feel based thing. Almost everyone I know disagrees with me on this one.

So if you sit down with a spec sheet, this is a no contest. Better looking, more power, more tech, better suspension. You head out to the Triumph showroom, put down a cheque and walk away with the Tiger. However there is one thing that spec sheets don’t take into consideration. Your ability as a rider. I find the VStrom infinitely easier to ride at my skill level (which is pretty average). I’m not tall. I’m not that strong. I cannot ride the Tiger with the same degree of effortlessness and confidence that I can ride the VStrom. And that factor overrides all. A lot of riders wanting to get into ADVs should make this their primary consideration.

I do wish I could get one of these though

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-twobikes.jpg

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 30th September 2020 at 11:14.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 22:45   #92
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

Denali S4 Install

It's kind of funny where I start the ownership thread with comments like "I don't need an aftermarket exhaust. The stock is great". Or the stock headlight is "more than enough". And then take a complete u-turn. So here we go again.

Don't get me wrong. The stock headlight is reasonable. But I ran into issues on rides during early morning starts. Maybe my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I also noticed the ease with which my fellow riders with good aux lights rode in similar conditions. So I decided to get a pair. My high level criteria were
  • Should be a decent brand
  • Should not break the bank
  • Should not be obnoxiously bright
  • Should be compact
  • Should have the provision for some kind of dimming functionality

Most of my group has Baja Designs (either pro or sport). The pro was out as it was too bright at 4600 lumens and expensive. The sport was out as I couldn't find a simple way to dim the lights if required. I've seen Clearwaters on @GoBlue's bike. Top of the line stuff and the dimming is fantastic but I rapidly dropped that due to its eye watering prices.

Then I noticed that Denali had dropped a more affordable S4 series lights. I had seen D4s but again they were too bright and too bulky. The S4s were compact, were reasonably bright at 3000 lumens. They also support a plug-and-play Datadim module that allows you to run the lights at 50% intensity with a switch. Nice option to have in the future. Though not cheap at Rs. 22,500 a pair, they were cheaper than the Baja. So I ordered a pair from LazyAssBikers. And I picked up a pair of Oya aux lights mount from the Biking Superstore, Pune.

Pretty compact at 2.5" * 2.5" and 2" deep. I have tiny hands.
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-lights.jpg

The mount. Sorry for the potato quality night photo
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-mount.jpg

Low beam
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-off.jpg

Aux on with low beam.
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-.jpg

I'm not wholly convinced about the mount position as the lights are protruding slightly. However the V-Strom does not have too many places to mount things. A friend has mounted aux lights using a bracket on the underside of the beak but that kind of takes away the sharp look of the bike. So I didn't do that. Let's see if there is a better way in the future but this is the position for now.

The initial impressions during a few rides on unlit city roads and highways are very promising. I need to take it on a longer ride to really learn its strengths. Overall it does feel like a terrific mid-range option for those who want quality lights without feeling robbed (in a relative sense ).
ranjitnair77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 15:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to ask but Buffeting means air flow hitting hard against your face right? How did they get that wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The biggest ergonomic issue with the V-Strom is the windshield which causes buffeting for me so I was looking for an upgrade.
Old 29th April 2022, 16:29   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sorry to ask but Buffeting means air flow hitting hard against your face right? How did they get that wrong!
Since different riders have different heights, a windshield needs to be easily adjustable and have a decent range to deflect the air either over the helmet or onto the chest. In my case, I was just at that height where the airflow was hitting the top part of my helmet and causing buffeting. The manual and limited adjustability of the stock windshield did not help matters.

Suzuki needs to ditch the existing windshield for an easy to adjust one. Like some of the newer Advs.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 29th April 2022 at 16:33.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 17:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Will an adjustable clip-on type windscreen extender help? As shown on the CB350 in this thread?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/228923-smurfy-my-honda-cb350-ownership-review-27.html (Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The manual and limited adjustability of the stock windshield did not help matters. Suzuki needs to ditch the existing windshield for an easy to adjust one. Like some of the newer Advs.
Old 1st May 2022, 10:35   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Will an adjustable clip-on type windscreen extender help? As shown on the CB350 in this thread?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/228923-smurfy-my-honda-cb350-ownership-review-27.html (Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review)
A couple of my friends have this on their Tigers and they say it works. Doesn't hurt to try it and it's not that expensive either.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks