Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:28   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Guys, wanted to check if anyone using a top box on their motorcycle is facing rattling problems.

. I understand that the GIVI Aluminium Top Box Rack is a sliding rack and not a rigid rack that I had on the Versys - could that be the reason why the top box rattles.

I used stock triumph and it is sliding type too. It is likely the sliding factor. Also perhaps check if there is any lose stuff inside like a can but most likely it is the sliding box phenomena.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:04   #32
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold

Thanks Axe! I emptied the contents of the top box, but the rattling continues. The weird part is - the sliding plate is slideable sideways. The rattling of the box (as I can see in the RVMS) are front to back. Probably the mounting plate or the rack is not tightly bolted. Will need to open it once and check it.

One more question - the aluminium sliding rack / plate is a Monokey plate on which I can mount the Outback Trekker topcase. If it change back to the stock plate, will the box fit, or do I have to get a Monolock box for it.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:03   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, wanted to check if anyone using a top box on their motorcycle is facing rattling problems.
They are made to slide but you can buy rubber bushes from Bajaj showroom and make it rigid, many riders in Bangalore have done the same.
Old 5th December 2019, 19:19   #34
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the update Ajay! Will try that option out - by any chance would you have a pic of where the rubber bushes have to be fitted?
Old 29th December 2019, 22:31   #35
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

2 epic pictures for me.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_122910.07.12.jpg
The first one is the Tiger with my ex-Z800. Got to see real "Godzilla" after a long time. It was being serviced so couldn't get a ride on it. But I still love it - it was my first superbike - lot of emotions attached. It was Dream come true for me first time.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191229_142428.jpg
The second pics is also an epic one for me. Why? You may ask. What's so great about it? It's just a Tiger parked outside the Triumph showroom. I have been visiting the Triumph showroom occasionally since I first rode the Tiger in 2015. Every visit thereafter, I would stand at the shworoom, look at the Tigers parked outside and wonder when would I see my own Tiger. Today was the day. It was Dream come true for me second time.
v12 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 22:54   #36
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

2 much needed things that the Tiger needed during the lockdown. A much needed detailed wash and a tank protector - which was gifted by a friend who recently purchased a new Tiger.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20200411_173448.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20200411_174139.jpg
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 20:03   #37
Team-BHP Support

I was enjoying reading your review all over again. How is the Tiger coping with Covid. Are you managing to get any decent riding in now?

I have been riding regularly within the city limits at least. I did have one battery dead incident in my parking because of extended down time but that is all behind me now. jump started it and also gave it for an overnight charge to a local battery guy.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 00:16   #38
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

So after spending almost 9 months in the lockdown,* the Tiger is now out in the open. I have been starting it on and off during the lockdown but never took it out for a ride. The first Thing to do once the lockdown was lifted was to get her back home,* get the fuel topped up and Start riding in the city atleast. The second thing was to get the insurance that was expiring. And the third things was to book a scheduled service at Triumph. The Tiger is now 5 years old and you maybe wondering why I am still taking it to Triumph and not an independent workshop. Well there are a reasons :
1. From the beginning the bike has always been serviced at Triumph.
2. I have had a good experience with the Triumph service guys.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20201202_225000.jpg
So this was the 6th service and since the bike hasnt covered much kilometers since the last maior service / I decided to go for a general service i.e. fluids change / filter replacement/cleaning etc. Also decided to change the battery Since it was almost 5 years old now and didn't want to be stuck with a dead one.

So here is the breakup of the 6th service.
Service details of the Tiger 800 XRX.
  • Bike : Triumph Tiger
  • Model : 800 XRX
  • Year : 2015
  • Service Interval as per manufacturer (kms/year) : 50,000 kms

6th Service Cost : Rs. 15,342
Odometer Reading : 20,907 kms
Breakup (including GST):
Consumables - Rs 11,683
  1. Air Filter - 1878
  2. Battery - 6021
  3. Engine Oil (4L) - 2976
  4. Oil Filter - 712
  5. Washer - 95
Labour - Rs 3,658
Total Service Cost - 15342

Name / Address of the Service Center : Shaman Triumph, Mumbai
Other comments / Expenses Incurred : The battery was replaced since it was almost 5 years old and probably at he end of its life. Although I was not facing any problems, I thought it would be better to change it rather than get stuck with a dead battery on a ride.

Overall experience was fuss-free. Dropped the bike at the Shaman Triumph service centre on a Saturday and it was ready by Monday. Happy with the service

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20201128_011056.jpg
Riding Pillion
A couple of days ago, I had the rare oppurtunity of being a pillion on the Tiger. It was a Short ride to town with my younger brother and we were planning on riding to Pune and back.* After 45 mins of sitting pillion, he started complaining that the rear seat is hard and on a long ride a backrest would really be a blessing. While returning I sat pillion (believe me or not, I have hardly sat on the rear seat on any of my bikes) and the experience was a bit scary and discomforting. Scary because me being almost 6 feet, I was swaying like a Coconut tree. I really felt the need for a back rest. Discomfort because I too found the seat to be hard.

so my question is :
1. Is it possible to fit a backrest on the top box rack? I believe, yes. I mean how hard can it be? A removable backrest so I can fit the top box too. I dont like the idea of a back support on the top box. Its a pain to sit 2 with a top box. The other option is to use a small tail bag on the luggage rack so it functions as a backrest.

2. would a gel seat solve the hard seat Problem. Or should I go for the option of re-foaming the seats. ?

3. I am thinking of modifying the Givi Tanklock mechanism (flange kit) to mounton the rear rack. So the tankbag can also bemounted on the rear.

Some pictures of the Tiger.

Short ride to Morbe Dam before the Lockdown
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_120311.54.05.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20200104_091205.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20200104_232654.jpg

Tiger at the Team BHP 16th Anniversary meet in Lonavala
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20200527_010152.jpg

Tiger during the Lockdown
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_120311.52.56.jpg

Tiger after the Lockdown
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20201202_225543.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-img_20201125_014136_405.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-img_20201115_234319_177.jpg
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 01:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Riding Pillion
A couple of days ago, I had the rare oppurtunity of being a pillion on the Tiger. It was a Short ride to town with my younger brother and we were planning on riding to Pune and back.* After 45 mins of sitting pillion, he started complaining that the rear seat is hard and on a long ride a backrest would really be a blessing. While returning I sat pillion (believe me or not, I have hardly sat on the rear seat on any of my bikes) and the experience was a bit scary and discomforting. Scary because me being almost 6 feet, I was swaying like a Coconut tree. I really felt the need for a back rest. Discomfort because I too found the seat to be hard.
Are both of you 6 feet? Because I don't think the pillion seat is height friendly for anyone over 5'8"-5'10" max. Considering the pillion sits higher than the rider, your coconut tree swaying reference holds true. Which is why I'd suggest riding with a top box for better support (with the back rest foam) considering you're thinking of riding to Pune and back (and/or similar or longer distances).

Quote:
so my question is :
1. Is it possible to fit a backrest on the top box rack? I believe, yes. I mean how hard can it be? A removable backrest so I can fit the top box too. I dont like the idea of a back support on the top box. Its a pain to sit 2 with a top box. The other option is to use a small tail bag on the luggage rack so it functions as a backrest.
I'm not sure of how easy it is because the Triumph (givi) top box rack occupies and sits over most of the plastic/fibre OEM rack. Coupled with the sliding mechanism, you'll have to probably design and fabricate a back rest that sits right.

Which is why (as suggested above) it is ideal to use the back rest foam (supplied by Triumph) on the top box and use the top box as a more sturdier and stronger back support. But depends on who the pillion is going to be most of the time - if its just one off rides, then the top box should be a more pragmatic and stress free solution. Just needs a bit getting used to.

A small tail bag on the luggage rack would again give you support till your lower back max. It's as good as not having one.

Personal experience: I travel mostly with my wife (5'6") pillion on my XRX. Initially we rode with a small tail pack, which gave her a semblance of back support - but wasn't worth on longer distances. I got the ASG 45l top box that has a cheap, soft plastic foam as a backrest. After some initial positioning calculations on the tail rack (the ASG comes with a different base plate, so holes need to be drilled to fir onto the OEM rack), the current setup works wonders. City and highway rides - she's never complained. Hence my suggestion that the TOP BOX is the more ideal route.

Quote:
2. would a gel seat solve the hard seat Problem. Or should I go for the option of re-foaming the seats. ?
The rider seat doesn't trouble me much because I'm feather weight! But I'd suggest try using the gel seats before messing with the OEM foam of the seats. From your pictures, I see that the 2015 version also comes with Triumph's comfort seats (found in XRX, XCX, XCA models) and those cost a bomb if, god forbid, the re-foaming doesn't go as planned. On a friend's suggestion, I had picked up cycling shorts from Decathlon that have some foam padding to mitigate the hard seat feeling initially. A few rides in, I have mixed reactions. I definitely don't feel the seat to be as hard as it used to - but don't know if it's because of the shorts or human mind 'normalizing' things!

Quote:
3. I am thinking of modifying the Givi Tanklock mechanism (flange kit) to mounton the rear rack. So the tankbag can also bemounted on the rear.
If there's a custom part that can fit onto the rear rack, then go for it. I'd stay away from fabricating or adding anything onto the rack because the rack also costs a bomb

I hope this helps. Happy riding
TheVaas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 06:52   #40
BHPian

I have the suspicion that it might be time to re-foam the seats or even better get the comfort seats that came on the 2018-19 model XRX.
I am saying that because of 2 experiences as a pillion on longish rides.

One in March I sat pillion for over 500kms on a trip to Bangalore from Kerala and within 15mins post the 6hour 500kms trip I hopped on my R1 and rode back 500kms and the discomfort I felt was only after 200-250kms of riding the R1.

Another, I have done another 400kms+ pillion ride across the length of Kerala from Palakkad to Trivandrum which is an entirely different cup of tea as opposed to the Kerala-Bangalore trip as 90% of the roads are 2-way roads, and road conditions were not that great and still, I had almost no seat discomfort.

So do checkout the comfort seat option, should be a direct plug and play I guess.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 08:26   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. And the third things was to book a scheduled service at Triumph.
Dropped the bike at the Shaman Triumph service centre on a Saturday and it was ready by Monday.
Hey. Thanks for the update and good to see pics of the Tiger out in the open again. I have actually managed to ride pretty regularly in the last 3-4 months.

Was your Tiger in the workshop on Monday the 30th (Nov)? Because I was at the SVC first thing Monday morning to drop my bike off for a tyre change and I think it was your Tiger I saw standing at that very spot.

On that note, I did not realise that an entire tyre change job costs a whopping 3000 bucks overall, including changing tyres, wheel balancing and related taxes.

Would have considered changing it at Zubin or elsewhere had I known it would be that expensive.

PS: I just realised that some of your bike pics are with the screen and some seem to be without the screen. What is the story behind some rides without a screen. Is it that easy to remove and refix hassle free? Speaking of screens, I myself found the MY 2018 screen just way too big. For now, I have replaced it with a powerbronze screen I got from the UK.

A quick pic with the black much shorter albeit height adjustable powerbronze. I am much happier. Looks sportier, is not taller than I want and still provides sufficient wind protection for my needs (I have tested its effectiveness at pretty much any speed that I can imagine riding at if you know what I mean).
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-b107ab4312d64695a1e46561eef3c55d.jpeg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-bdb1a95b8efe4073b468e8a22728d4e8.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th December 2020 at 08:32.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 22:18   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Are both of you 6 feet? Because I don't think the pillion seat is height friendly for anyone over 5'8"-5'10" max. Considering the pillion sits higher than the rider, your coconut tree swaying reference holds true. Which is why I'd suggest riding with a top box for better support (with the back rest foam) considering you're thinking of riding to Pune and back (and/or similar or longer distances).
My brother is 5' 7 / 5' 8 so probably the additional height of the rear seat caused the swaying. However my younger brother was comfortable and did not feel the swaying while he sat pillion. I guess you are right, having the backrest foam is the most sensible method.

Quote:
I'm not sure of how easy it is because the Triumph (givi) top box rack occupies and sits over most of the plastic/fibre OEM rack. Coupled with the sliding mechanism, you'll have to probably design and fabricate a back rest that sits right.
you are very much right. I did not think of the fibre rack below the Givi rack. It maybe difficult then to install a back rest.

Quote:
A small tail bag on the luggage rack would again give you support till your lower back max. It's as good as not having one.

Personal experience: I travel mostly with my wife (5'6") pillion on my XRX. Initially we rode with a small tail pack, which gave her a semblance of back support - but wasn't worth on longer distances. I got the ASG 45l top box that has a cheap, soft plastic foam as a backrest. After some initial positioning calculations on the tail rack (the ASG comes with a different base plate, so holes need to be drilled to fir onto the OEM rack), the current setup works wonders. City and highway rides - she's never complained. Hence my suggestion that the TOP BOX is the more ideal route.
I was thinking of the same. The tank /tail bag will only give a lower bag support. If I go in for a bigger bag I might as well use the top box with the foam. can you please Post a photo of your setup?

Quote:
The rider seat doesn't trouble me much because I'm feather weight! But I'd suggest try using the gel seats before messing with the OEM foam of the seats. From your pictures, I see that the 2015 version also comes with Triumph's comfort seats (found in XRX, XCX, XCA models) and those cost a bomb if, god forbid, the re-foaming doesn't go as planned. On a friend's suggestion, I had picked up cycling shorts from Decathlon that have some foam padding to mitigate the hard seat feeling initially. A few rides in, I have mixed reactions. I definitely don't feel the seat to be as hard as it used to - but don't know if it's because of the shorts or human mind 'normalizing' things!
True, if I mess up the Comfort seat by re-foaming - that cannot be undone. The front seats are soft and comfy. Its only the rear ones. will check out the gel seats.

Quote:
If there's a custom part that can fit onto the rear rack, then go for it. I'd stay away from fabricating or adding anything onto the rack because the rack also costs a bomb
I believe the only fabrication that will be needed are 3 holes in the topcase rack to fit the flange kit. once done the tank lock bas can turn into a tail lock bag ) It hasn't beentried before - but worth a try.

Quote:
I hope this helps. Happy riding
Thank You very much TheVaas !

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
I have the suspicion that it might be time to re-foam the seats or even better get the comfort seats that came on the 2018-19 model XRX.
I am saying that because of 2 experiences as a pillion on longish rides.

One in March I sat pillion for over 500kms on a trip to Bangalore from Kerala and within 15mins post the 6hour 500kms trip I hopped on my R1 and rode back 500kms and the discomfort I felt was only after 200-250kms of riding the R1.

Another, I have done another 400kms+ pillion ride across the length of Kerala from Palakkad to Trivandrum which is an entirely different cup of tea as opposed to the Kerala-Bangalore trip as 90% of the roads are 2-way roads, and road conditions were not that great and still, I had almost no seat discomfort.

So do checkout the comfort seat option, should be a direct plug and play I guess.

Cheers
Krishna
Hey Krishna, Thanks for the advise. Mine are the comfort seats. Do the 2018-19 models come with a different comfort seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey. Thanks for the update and good to see pics of the Tiger out in the open again. I have actually managed to ride pretty regularly in the last 3-4 months.

Was your Tiger in the workshop on Monday the 30th (Nov)? Because I was at the SVC first thing Monday morning to drop my bike off for a tyre change and I think it was your Tiger I saw standing at that very spot.

On that note, I did not realise that an entire tyre change job costs a whopping 3000 bucks overall, including changing tyres, wheel balancing and related taxes.

Would have considered changing it at Zubin or elsewhere had I known it would be that expensive.

PS: I just realised that some of your bike pics are with the screen and some seem to be without the screen. What is the story behind some rides without a screen. Is it that easy to remove and refix hassle free? Speaking of screens, I myself found the MY 2018 screen just way too big. For now, I have replaced it with a powerbronze screen I got from the UK.

A quick pic with the black much shorter albeit height adjustable powerbronze. I am much happier. Looks sportier, is not taller than I want and still provides sufficient wind protection for my needs (I have tested its effectiveness at pretty much any speed that I can imagine riding at if you know what I mean).
Hey Axe, yes, I believe it would be my Tiger only. thad left it for service on 28-Nov andcollected it on 1-Nov. You will see in the pis there is another Tiger with a red beak. I thought it was yours initially / but realisedyours only had the beak in red.

Regarding the screen, I took it out since I wanted to take off the number plate. one screen has become a bit yellowish. I have ordered for a High Adjustment Screen but I am not sure if that would be a direct fit. will have to wait and see when it arrives. As of now I am liking the looks of it without the screen - looks like a fighter. But may put it back soon - COS I don't want to risk storing it long enough to crack it.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 00:53   #43
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess what! We have been racking our brains so hard - seems like Givi already has a solution for it.

The Givi Seatlock S430. I remember seeing a video of this Seatlock last year when Givi had showcased this at EICMA 2019. I did remember searching for this on the Givi website too, but it wasnt available. can now see it available at a member of online portals. Will be ordering one soon
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-givi_fittingkits_seatlock_s430.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-givi_fittingkits_seatlock_s430_detail3.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-givi_fittingkits_seatlock_s430_detail1.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-givi_fittingkits_seatlock_s430_detail5.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-givi_fittingkits_seatlock_s430_detail4.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 01:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of the same. The tank /tail bag will only give a lower bag support. If I go in for a bigger bag I might as well use the top box with the foam. can you please Post a photo of your setup?

Thank You very much TheVaas !
You're welcome anytime, v12

Give me a day or two and I'll share some photos with pillion in tow. No point sharing only bike with top box arrangement. Also, if you refer to Axe77's pictures, you'll notice the Triumph OEM top box foam back rest in them (maybe zoom in a little). That'll give you an idea of where they are fitted. Mine is ASG - so you can see that when I share the pic!

Quote:
Guess what! We have been racking our brains so hard - seems like Givi already has a solution for it.
The famous "Computer jee, lock kiya jaaye!" dialogue comes to mind here! Always better to stick with GIVI and go for it. Interesting that they've made it such that it mounts on to their base plates.
TheVaas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 06:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Krishna, Thanks for the advise. Mine are the comfort seats. Do the 2018-19 models come with a different comfort seat?
Oh. Ok. I thought it came only for the newer models. Then I am not sure what can be done. I don't know how many of them local seat refoaming people will be familiar with the comfort seat material. I do remember the folks at Triumph Bangalore saying it's some special material or something. I guess that also is of little to no help here. Sorry about that.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed