Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 07:29   #46
Team-BHP Support

Backrests:

My wife is a rare pillion and not a frequent two wheel traveler in general. From that perspective she feels a bit nervous even on short rides without the top box.

I have put triumph foam back rest cover and it has made her riding back seat much more comfortable with the top box since the hinges no longer hit the back uncomfortable and she can rest against the top box if and when she wants. (Got the back rest inserts on a recent discount by triumph Mumbai. Call and check if they still have stock).

A friend of mine who travels a lot with his wife as pillion not only put the above but also fabricated a medium size arm rest from Imran seat wala at Andheri. Something like those big Harley cruisers have. I am not recommending it nor do I need it myself but it is well executed and if you think that helps you could consider it. I do not have a pic unfortunately.

As a starting point if you already have a top box do consider the back rests.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 12:45   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Backrests:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Guess what! We have been racking our brains so hard - seems like Givi already has a solution for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Also, if you refer to Axe77's pictures, you'll notice the Triumph OEM top box foam back rest in them (maybe zoom in a little). That'll give you an idea of where they are fitted.
Hey guys. If it helps, here are a few pics displaying the back rest on the OEM top box (incidentally I believe these are Givi made only for Triumph so should be the same design etc.).
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-379fe38c8ed74bc6bbaf648ae12c38c4.jpeg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-9d9d5240b5a4447eb4b3a981a5d4b617.jpeg  

Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:49   #48
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome anytime, v12

Give me a day or two and I'll share some photos with pillion in tow. No point sharing only bike with top box arrangement. Also, if you refer to Axe77's pictures, you'll notice the Triumph OEM top box foam back rest in them (maybe zoom in a little). That'll give you an idea of where they are fitted. Mine is ASG - so you can see that when I share the pic!

The famous "Computer jee, lock kiya jaaye!" dialogue comes to mind here! Always better to stick with GIVI and go for it. Interesting that they've made it such that it mounts on to their base plates.
Just saw the pics posted by Axe. Tnose backrests look good and comfortable. And they clear the hinges - that's the most important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Oh. Ok. I thought it came only for the newer models. Then I am not sure what can be done. I don't know how many of them local seat refoaming people will be familiar with the comfort seat material. I do remember the folks at Triumph Bangalore saying it's some special material or something. I guess that also is of little to no help here. Sorry about that.

Cheers
Krishna
Thanks Krishna! Yes they are made of some different material. probably the foam could be memory foam. The seat cover also is of a very different material. And it offers good grip.

Quote:
Backrests:

My wife is a rare pillion and not a frequent two wheel traveler in general. From that perspective she feels a bit nervous even on short rides without the top box.

I have put triumph foam back rest cover and it has made her riding back seat much more comfortable with the top box since the hinges no longer hit the back uncomfortable and she can rest against the top box if and when she wants. (Got the back rest inserts on a recent discount by triumph Mumbai. Call and check if they still have stock).

A friend of mine who travels a lot with his wife as pillion not only put the above but also fabricated a medium size arm rest from Imran seat wala at Andheri. Something like those big Harley cruisers have. I am not recommending it nor do I need it myself but it is well executed and if you think that helps you could consider it. I do not have a pic unfortunately.

Quote:
Hey guys. If it helps, here are a few pics displaying the back rest on the OEM top box (incidentally I believe these are Givi made only for Triumph so should be the same design etc.).
Thank You very much for the pics Axe. I may probably go in for these backrests, but will also get the Givi S430 Seatlock mechanism. I have dropped an email to enquire if the Seatlock is compatible with the ST602 Tanklock bag. As per Givi, tanklock bass having a flat base are compatible with the Seatlock mechanism , whereas those with contoured base are not.

Let's see will update here too when I get a response.
Old 11th December 2020, 01:16   #49
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You very much for the pics Axe. I may probably go in for these backrests, but will also get the Givi S430 Seatlock mechanism. I have dropped an email to enquire if the Seatlock is compatible with the ST602 Tanklock bag. As per Givi, tanklock bass having a flat base are compatible with the Seatlock mechanism , whereas those with contoured base are not.

Let's see will update here too when I get a response.
Got a response from Sportbikeshop UK. so basically I was checking for the Givi EA123 Tank Lock bag and the S430 Seat Lock mechanism andwhether they are compatible.

Tanklock Bag Lock System
EA123 BF12 (Triumph specific)
ST602 S430 (universal)

Got a response that Since both the bags have a flat base, they are compatible with either mechanisms.

For anyone looking for Triumph accessories, there are good discounts available in the UK.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 22:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome anytime, v12

Give me a day or two and I'll share some photos with pillion in tow.
Well, the day or two turned into one whole month. Apologies for the delay. Got busy planning/embarking/returning from a trip to the North East.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-20210117_115138.jpg

The top box is 42L ASG while the panniers are OEM Triumph. All loaded and hence the bike clearance is slightly low because of the overall weight.

PS: I'm assuming you'd have figured out the seating dynamics by now
TheVaas is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 00:03   #51
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

With a heavy heart, I had to let go of the Tiger last weekend.

So basically I had no intentions of selling the Tiger. The last time I went for a long ride on it was the Team-BHP Anniversary ride in Feb 2020. Then came the lockdown in March 2020 and everything came to a halt. Until then the Tiger was being regularly used. Even though it was not used during the lockdown the Tiger went in for its regular general maintenance in 2020.

In Mar 2021, I faced a weird issue where the bike refused to start. Shaman Triumph did send out someone to check out the battery but it seemed that the battery was fine. They needed to take in the bike to diagnose the problem. It seems a part of the wiring was bitten by rats. That was fixed along with the fork greasing and I got the bike back. It was the 2nd phase of the lockdown so no rides. No office so there was no daily travel too.

The Tiger sat for a few months (although I used to regularly Start her). It was only one day after getting it washed,* that I noticed that the fork stanchions were still dirty. Thats when I realised that the fork seals were cracked and oil was seeping out. Waited till the end of monsoon, and in mid-October gave the bike for general service and fork seal change.
I was prepared for a service bill of 20k (service and fork seal). But was not prepared for the next part.

So it seems there was some rust on the lower pipes and the chrome was starting to come off. The service guys advised to change the lower forks else the fork seals may break again if they come in contact with the rust spot. The cost for the fix would be anywhere between 60k-70k. Each lower fork would cost 30k and since both had rusted, it would be 60k. Labor would be anywhere between 5-10 k.

Although I had no problems fixing the bike, this made me think " What next". The root cause of the rust and corrosion was 1. staying close to the sea and 2. non usage. For 1, I would continue staying close to the sea. For 2, I was not sure given the current conditions, I would do justice to the expense by riding her often.

Finally decided then to let her go and contacted a friend who had been showing interest since a year. I gave all the details of the motorcycle and the work that will be required when he picks up the bike. we agreed on a mutual price after deducting the cost of the repairs. Last Saturday I parted with Hobbes.

Obviously I am feeling sad that I had to tell it. The Tiger is an amazing bike and I loved it. It was what I always wanted Since I first rode it in 2015. I have no regret of selling it, but I regret the fact that I could have still used it during the lockdown. That could have prevented the rust and corossion. But whats done is done and cannot be undone.

So, What Next? I keep asking myself the same thing. And I don't have an answer. Maybe I will take a break for sometime and figure out if I really need a big bike. Until then my daily ride is going to be the Duke 390 (yes it's still there) , my completely restored RX100 and my newly acquired Suzuki Access.

I will post the service details on the Superbike service thread. will also continue to share any updates from the current owner too.

Signing out from this thread for now. Ride safe !
v12 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
The root cause of the rust and corrosion was 1. staying close to the sea and 2. non usage. For 1, I would continue staying close to the sea. For 2, I was not sure given the current conditions, I would do justice to the expense by riding her often
Yes, it's quite sad to sell a motorcycle or a car that all of us here treat like an extended family member rather than integrated components working as one machine.

To me, it's not even #1, but #2 is the #1 reason to sell

It seems that a vehicle that remains unused for sometime gets worn out faster than a vehicle that's moderate to high usage. I still don't understand how this happens; is it the Sea or generally the environment, not sure.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 00:45   #53
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree 100% with you Aargee. Non-usage is worse than the climatic conditions. I learnt it the hard way. A couple of friends did infact ask me to keep riding it regularly - I should have listened.

I will remember this next time (whenever "next time" is).
Old 5th November 2021, 01:11   #54
BHPian

Oh. I was just researching about the servicing cost of Triumph and just read your post in the how much does it cost to service a superbike thread. And I just marveled at how much you used the Tiger. And now next post I read is that you let her go. Very sad to hear that but I am sure you enjoyed the time you had her.

Staying near the sea has a lot of plus points but they are a bane for electronics and vehicles :([

Last edited by bf1983 : 5th November 2021 at 01:14. Reason: Typo
Old 5th November 2021, 04:34   #55
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The service costs for Triumphs are quite reasonable and the job done by the Mumbai service center (Shaman) is outstanding to. That's the reason why I stuck to them even though the bike was out of warrant and servicing outside was much cheaper. Have also suggested the new owner to get the fork replacement done through Shaman itself. I guess the order has been placed and the Tiger should be back in the road in a month.

With regards to the device cost, a general service week cos anywhere between 8-11k (once a year) and ther major service around 18-21k (I believe every third service).

For detailed costs, do check out the below thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...kes-india.html (Servicing Costs of Superbikes / Sportsbikes in India)
Old 5th November 2021, 09:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
It seems that a vehicle that remains unused for sometime gets worn out faster than a vehicle that's moderate to high usage. I still don't understand how this happens; is it the Sea or generally the environment, not sure.
The moving parts in an automobile have been designed to last longer under high load and not for standing in the garage/non usage. That is when they degrade faster for eg rubber parts which don’t get lubed because of standing still at one place for long duration oil which attract moisture etc. On my Busa I noticed that the brake oil degraded faster with less usage also on my RD the front suspension oil seals pop if I don’t ride it for long. And the worst part of two strokes is the oil accumulation in the crank case. Never faced those issues when I used to ride my RX 3k kms every month and now I barely do 1k kms in a year on it so demands more maintenance to keep it in top shape.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 13:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
So it seems there was some rust on the lower pipes and the chrome was starting to come off.
Never easy to sell a beloved motorcycle.
About the fork issue you faced, I learnt about this issue the hard way just like you. Before I had lived in Mumbai, I thought chrome parts corrode only on old Enfields. Oh how wrong I was!

Since my commute was minimal, I used to leave my Duke 390 during monsoons with my friends living in Navy Nagar, which is right next to the sea, since they had covered parking and I didn't.

Rust spots on handlebar, chipping powder coating from crankcase covers and rust spots near the bottom of fork, thanks to the humid air and traces of salt deposits over months.

Thankfully the replacement inner tubes for the KTM forks weren't so expensive and I moved to NCR soon after so it was a much simpler choice for me.
P.S- I recently switched from the stock sprocket setup to RK sprockets with slightly different gearing (15-47) on D390. Since you are gonna be using the D390 as primary now, you might enjoy a bit more kick and better city usability on it
motonomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 18:34   #58

Quote:
With a heavy heart, I had to let go of the Tiger last weekend.

So it seems there was some rust on the lower pipes and the chrome was starting to come off. The service guys advised to change the lower forks else the fork seals may break again if they come in contact with the rust spot. The cost for the fix would be anywhere between 60k-70k. Each lower fork would cost 30k and since both had rusted, it would be 60k. Labor would be anywhere between 5-10 k.
I am curious: you didn't speak to any after market guys? You do get pitting and bruising on the fork stanchions (chrome bit) that you have to address with an emery cloth and elbow grease. People who know more might even know of a way to restore the chrome or strip the entire coating and recoat it, taking painful measurements to ensure you're still within spec. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of the problem. Happy to learn new tricks
greyanaroth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 19:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyanaroth View Post
I am curious: you didn't speak to any after market guys? You do get pitting and bruising on the fork stanchions (chrome bit) that you have to address with an emery cloth and elbow grease.
As the lower folk tubes are rusted the best approach is to replace them. Chrome on its own never rusts and its the metal on which the chrome coating is done is what develops the rusts and eats away the chrome portion as well. Applying a new coat of chrome will not address the rust issue and if the thickness and smoothness doesn’t match the company spec then the seals won’t have a snug fit and won’t function as desired.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 20:57   #60
BHPian

Such an amazing motorcycle and such reminiscent memories.
Uniformed service had me stationed in Israel and my good days of less work and more play were almost on the anvil of the end when my counterpart offered an exciting weekend biking trip across the Negev Desert. He had two Xrt versions and both were in immaculate condition (I often see civilians abroad keeping motorcycles in military clean conditions, prime example Japan). However, I begged to explain my ownership was a Bajaj Chetak and my riding experience in the desert of RJ was no matter of pride either.
On a good day we started the ride he and his wife in pillion came in the top to bottom riding paraphernalia with me and my wife left in jeans and t-shirts and a standard military jacket
The ride was stupendous, everything about the bike was perfect, yes Israel had then better roads and connectivity & an amazing vineyard (in the middle of a desert if memory serves me right). We rode for over three days stopping at numerous places for breaks and photos and I always wanted to run back and saddle up. Was the best journey of my life
I feel for you as it is always tough to part with a product or experience which you would know can not be repeated. Happy biking.

Last edited by navin : 16th November 2021 at 16:37. Reason: typos
tatafanatic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed