Team-BHP - Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/211475-hobbes-my-2015-triumph-tiger-800-xrx-edit-now-sold.html)

Chapter 1 - My first superbike - Closed - Kawasaki Z800
Chapter 2 - The Filler - Closed - KTM Duke 390
Chapter 3 - Closed - Kawasaki Versys 650 - Godzilla returns
Chapter 4 : Enter "" - My Tiger 800 XRX

Prologue
October 2015
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_101211.38.23.jpg
The Tiger story dates back to Oct 2015 - it all started with a small casual ride to the Triumph showroom with team-bhpian Odeen12. While we were waiting for some work to be done on his Speed Triple, a friend suggested to take a ride of the Tiger. I was like "nah it's ok , I don't like adventure motorcycles". I never had any fascination towards them - found them to be outright ugly compared to the sportsbikes.

But he insisted, so Rahul and me took 2 Tigers and went for a test ride. The moment I sat on the Tiger, I was shocked how comfortable it was - the seating, the upright position. It did feel uncomfortable due to the tall height - but that was only for a few seconds. And did I forget - its standard operating procedure at Triumph that you don't sit on the Tiger like you do on other motorcycles. You climb onto the footpeg, rise, swing your leg and perch on the seat. I had never done such a thing ever in a motorcycle - when I was a kid, yes. But climb on the footpeg while the bike is on side stand - never. But with the Tiger, it was a piece of cake. And so, we started that small test ride.

Believe it or not - it hardly took any time for me to get used to the ergonomics of the Tiger. It was so damn comfortable - compared to the Z which was quite cramped. The test ride was a pretty long one from Andheri to Santacruz to Jogeshwari and back. Obviously with my kind of riding, I was riding behind Rahul. I could see him enjoying the Tiger - standing and riding too. The only time I ever stood while riding a motorcycle was when I had to avoid a pothole. But seeing him do this - I too wanted to try it out. I rode a couple of seconds on the WE highway standing and I felt so free. The test ride was almost coming to an end - we were at the last signal before the showroom. Rahul was waitinf at the signal - I pulled up alongside him, lifted my helmet visor and told him "I give a damn about that 4th cylinder and all the extra power that the Z produces. I want the Tiger".

Apr 2018 - Jan 2019

A new Tiger was way beyond my budget - so when it was time to buy a comfortable adventure motorcycle, I looked towards the Kawasaki Versys 650. But inside my heart, I kept yearning for a Tiger.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191013_001957.jpg

Mind you, the Versys is not a bad motorcycle. The little that I rode the Versys, I loved everything about it. The ride is so much smooth, the suspension soaks in all the bad roads, the comfort is more than you can ask for (rider and pillion). Also being a Japanese motorcycle , it was bullet proof, the mileage was good (22 kmpl on long rides), spares and accessories were easily available (although expensive). Compared to the Z and the Duke which were overly eager and impatient- the Versys felt so relaxed and patient.

There was nothing about the Versys I did not like - but my heart still yearned for something else (the Tiger). Probably it was also the fact that after you have ridden an inline 4, it's not easy to live with a silent twin. To quote Jeremy Clarkson in his McLaren MP4 review : -

"But there is something missing. Something that can't be measured. Something that you can't really put your finger on. THERE'S NO ZING!"

The "Zing" is probably what was missing in the Versys. The Versys can do almost everything that the Tiger can (on road) and probably even more at half the price. It will give you a better mileage with that larger fuel tank. It can keep up with the Tiger too on a long ride. But, but, it's missing the Zing factor that the Tiger has.

The Zing for me are not the additional electronics that the Tiger comes with. The Zing for me is not the price or the brag factor that the Tiger comes with. The Zing for me is not that fact that the Tiger is a better off roader. The Zing for me is not the 90+ bhp triple engine.

So finally the "Zing" is in my life. I got hold of a very well maintained 2015 Tiger XRX. A very big thanks to a very close friend who helped me through the deal and of course my riding friends (No Potty...No Riding) - don't ask me anymore about it.

Also, all this would not have been possible without my parents and the Home Minister. The last few months were so much filled with confusion. If I take a screenshot of my discussion with my friends - it would really be a very hilarious story. To give you a brief synopsis - here is what transpired between Jan (when I put the Versys on sale) and July (when I got the Tiger).

Dec 2018 (with friends) :
[Me]: I am really very confused on what I want to buy
[Me]: Yesterday I was thinking Z900, today I am thinking Street Triple S, Sunday I was eyeing Tiger
[Me]: Last week I was thinking selling the car and the bike and buying the Mitsubishi Outlander ��
[Friend StripleRS]: Allen you sound like the English weather
[Me]: And it normally happens during winter

Jan 2019 (with the Kawasaki dealer) :
[Me]: Wanted to check with you on the OTR for the Z900 and if you have any exchange scheme with the Versys
[Kawasaki]: U wanna exchange the versys with a z900
[Me]: Yess mostly looking to replace but wanna see what's the exchange offer
[Kawasaki]: Come we can check

Mar 2019 (with friends) :
[Rahul GSXR1000]: Hi Guys, Riding this Sunday to Lonavala. Anyone coming??
[Me]: 99% me also in if my bike is still ther ����
[Friend 1 Street Triple]: Y?
[Me]: Selling it ��
[Friend Striple RS]: Quick shifter.
[Friend 2 Street Triple]: Seriously? Which one r u buying?
[Me]: Thinking of the Z900 but let's see, heard they re-launching the Z900RS again
[Friend Striple RS]: Hahahahahahahahaha..... back to the Z I see
Friends, watch & learn.
He sold & bought the adventure tourer when he got married & he felt the Mrs would like to join. Nothing happened. Now, he’ll take a hit & go back to his beloved Z where he’ll be on his own. This entire process took a few years. So before you get married, buy the bike you wanna ride. Not after marriage.

There's more to it - at one point of time I almost gave up and decided to go for a new Polo GT TSI or a Baleno or the Ignis. The mind (mind you, the mind - and not the heart) even wandered towards used SUV's - the previous gen Honda CR-V and the Mitsubishi Outlander.

All this was happening while the Versys was still waiting to be sold. Finally in July, a Tbhpian pinged me, we fixed a date, met up, he took a test ride, paid the token and then bought the bike. It's very similar to the Alexander's story - He came, he saw, he conquered. The Versys was gone in a jiffy. I wasn't a bit emotional about it - not as much as I was about the Z. I still miss the Z - bit I don't miss the Versys. Infact, I was happy it went. I could now focus on something else.

Bye Bye Versys
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-img_20190713_193842_308.jpg

Around the same time, I was also co-ordinating for the Tiger. Met the owner, had a good look at the bike - checked with some friends and with Triumph too - and they confirmed it was a very well maintained motorcycle with entire service history and lot of OE accessories that were fitted at the time of delivery. I was still not sure - I was too confused. I messaged a friend and told him I am confused between this motorcycle or a car. 2 voice notes from him was all it took to make my decision and I don't regret it at all. Thank you very much Arash!

Welcome Home Tiger!
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_100101.06.132.jpg

Details
Model : Aug 2018
Mileage (at the time of buying) : ~18000 kms
No of owners : 1
All services done at authorised Triumph service centers (Shaman Auto)
All accessories were purchased at the time of purchase.

What I like about the Tiger?
- Massive Presence - The Tiger is huge in size. Compare it to the Versys and it's taller and longer. A 6 footer on the V650 will make the Versys look like a small bike. But the same person on the Tiger will make it look proportionate.
- Excellent Engine - Well, it's not as smooth like the Japanese 4 cylinders. At low speeds , it sounds a bit rough - but on cruising speeds, it's butter smooth. The power delivery is very straight,
- Riding Position - the best part about the Tiger.
- Loaded with everything that you need (and maybe don't) - Ride by wire, Traction Control, Riding Modes, Cruise Control. Damn, it has more features than a 4 wheeler at the same price.

What I don't like about the Tiger - well I love it so much that I can ignore any dislikes. But still, here are some things that I feel could have been better
- the suspension could have been smoother (like the Versys)
- Quality of parts could have been better (the paint seems to have come off from the mirrors)
- Triumph should have provided LED Indicators and headlights.
- Weight - that should ideally have been on the top. The Tiger is HEAVY. Dragging it out of parking spots needs a lot of strength. It feels very top heavy. To mount the Tiger on the mainstand is quite a task.

Delivery
The delivery process was very smooth - I got to know about this Tiger way back in Jan - but the owner wasn't sure of selling it back then. It was only back in June/July when he messaged me that he is ready to sell it - which is when I had decided I did not want to buy a motorcycle. Seems fate had some other plans for me.

The Versys was yet to be sold - so had to wait for that first before I could pick the Tiger. The owner was very understanding and patient - so he didn't mind waiting for a month for it.

Finally when the Versys was sold, I immediately contacted the owner and fixed up a date for the handover. I was a bit sceptical when I took over the delivery of the Tiger.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20190808_215341.jpg

For all those who know me – more than anything, I like to keep my motorcycle CLEAN. This was total opposite of clean – but it suited the Tiger. I knew the bike would be dirty since it was monsoon and it was the owners daily ride. The first thing to do was to get the bike pressure washed after which I would get it washed and polished myself.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-img_20190721_164907_965.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20190722_115418.jpg

The other thing was that the bike felt a bit loose - I mean there was a lot of rattling sound. However, I realised later that day it was due to the top case and the contents. Took of the top-case and bingo - rattles disappeared.

The immediate next thing was to get the Insurance and PUC done – both of which were due in a few weeks. Then the paper work and the transfer.

About this motorcycle
This is a Doctor owned 2015 Triumph Tiger XRX, done around 18000 Kms. The bike has been very well maintained with all the services done at the Triumph A.S.S. It went through its major service which included replacing the engine kit and the spark plugs along with all the fluid changes.
The bike came with a lot of accessories
OE Triumph Expedition Aluminum Top Box ( Givi Trekker Outback 42). Although there is no indication anywhere that this box is made for Triumph by Givi - the locking mechanism has the word "Monokey" on it. For those who are not aware - MONOKEY® is the historical patented fitting system by GIVI, whose main characteristic consists of the possibility to operate with only one key both the opening of the case top and the detachment of the case from the fitting plate of the bike.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191015_191321.jpg

OE Triumph aluminium sump guard & engine guards.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191015_184322.jpg

OE Front beak
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191015_184517.jpg

SW Motech headlight guard
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_101712.47.16.jpg

Barkbuster VPS
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191015_185139.jpg

Additional accessories / parts
Brake pads
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_011015.jpg

Osram Nightracer 110
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_010617.jpg

Givi BF01
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_010757.jpg

OE Triumph Grips
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_011407.jpg

OE Triumph Fork Sliders & Rubber Footpesgs (on the way)

And last but not the least, a women's buckle belt - obviously not for myself or even my wife. But just as a show piece - looked so classy, I couldn't resist it.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20190908_233401.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191015_223923.jpg

Service
Since the paper work was still pending, I was not using the bike much - but keeping it running in with small rides. Its on one such small ride, did the bike start misfiring and it was due to a bad spark plug. Requested a technician to check and confirmed it was a bad plug. The annual service was scheduled for November this year, but I decided to get it done earlier. Being a 2015 model - This, I believe, was the 1st service after the major service which included the engine kit.

At first, I was not sure whether to get the service done through a 3rd part or through Triumph. Although this was my first Triumph, I had heard good reviews of the Triumph A.S.S. so decided to continue with them only (the previous owner had ensure all services with Triumph only).

The service cost @ 19000 kms.Below are the details of the service :

Total cost (including labor)
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_013808.jpg

Cost of consumables
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_013913.jpg

Cost of labor
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20191017_013808.jpg
Views:	9752
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1923564

Comparison with the Versys
Weight
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191017_015157.jpg
On paper, the Versys at ~250 kg is heavier than the Tiger at ~210 kg. Now, I haven’t become any stronger than before – but I found the Tiger to be heavier to manage in traffic and while moving out of parking lot. Probably to do with the heavier front / top end of the Tiger.

Refinement
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_101701.45.27.jpg
The Versys was much smoother and refined than the Tiger. After starting the Versys engine would settle to a typical clattering sound – whereas the Tiger settles to a nice humming sound (just like a proper inline 4). On the ride, it’s the opposite – the Versys is completely silent and smooth whereas the Tiger is quite audible and there are slight vibrations felt on the handlebar.

Comfort
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_101701.46.38.jpg
Both, Versys and Tiger, are very comfortable – for the rider as well as the pillion. The seats on both of them are super wide – and can seat a full size adult with extreme comfort. Getting onto those seats is where things change. On the Versys, you cannot step over the footpeg and mount yourself onto the bike. The Versys cannot handle that and if you are heavy (in my case, 94kgs), it can topple over. So you have to swing your leg over the seat which can get catchy. With the Tiger – that’s the best part. That’s what they show you first when you go for a test ride. Leg on footpeg, rise, swing over the seat – and you are sitting on your throne – with the bike still on the sidestand. Believe me, it makes a huge difference. Also what makes it easier is that the Tiger’s seat height is lower than the Versys. To top it all, its height adjustable from 730mm to 710 mm compared to the Versys’ 780 mm.

On city roads – speed breakers and craters – I found the suspension of the Versys to be much smoother than those of the Tiger – and that’s a fact too due to the adjustable suspension on the Versys.

Equipment
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191016_005453.jpg
Undoubtedly, the Tiger XRX being almost twice as expensive than the Versys is much more equipped than the Versys. Traction Control, Riding Modes, Cruise Control, Self Cancelling Indicators, superior (in terms of information) speedo unit, charging ports are some of the features that the Tiger scores over the Versys. Obviously the price range - these features are not missed on the Versys.

Riding the Tiger
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191103_153156.jpg
Just did a 220 Kms ride from Mumbai to Charoti and back. It was a breeze. I felt more comfortable doing the speeds that I do (90-100 kmph) on the Tiger than I could with the Versys or the Z. The seats are well padded and more on the flatter side which give good underthigh support. There were slight bad patches of road on the way but that did not stop the Tiger from just smashing them. Where needed, I could even stand and take a few ditches or speed breakers comfortably and confidently. Compared to the Versys, I felt that the suspension was not as smooth and impact absorbing (not sure if it was due to the tyre pressure I was running - R 36 / F 42).

On the mileage front, I think it is managing around 20+ kmpl. I did a total of 220 Kms and the fuel level just went down by 3-4 bars only. And that's still more than half tank still remaining. At an average speed of 80-90 kmph , I am.expecting the Tiger should provide atleast 23-25 kmpl.

All washed and set for the first ride
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_110304.15.02.jpg

At Charoti - group included Rahul (Odeen and his Suzuki GSZR1000), 2 X Triumph Tiger 800 XRX , Africa Twin, Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R, Triumph Daytona and a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_110302.59.48.jpg

En Route
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_110304.18.55.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191103_112406.jpg

So basically, we rode 200 Kms to Charoti to have breakfast back in Mumbai :)

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191103_123913.jpg
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191103_165433.jpg

Conclusion
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_110304.48.51.jpg
I am loving the Tiger and hoping to ride it and keep it as long as I can. I had the Z for 2 years and did only 5000kms. Had the Versys 650 for just a year and did only 2000 Kms. I don't think I will do this kind of injustice to the Tiger - especially after finally getting one. My riding pattern hasn't changed yet - I still am Captain Slow (don't ride above 100kmph) - but yet enjoy my rides and the views.

Thank you and hope you enjoyed reading this thread.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Big Bikes Section. Thanks for sharing!

This one is going straight to our homepage :thumbs up.

Nice thread V12. Whereabouts in Mumbai do you stay. We might even have met each other perhaps at some point. My bike's most frequent runs are when I go for my morning run. Almost impossible for me to do long rides in general or even just the 100 kms out and back on weekends so feel like I am not able to do enough justice to it. Hopefully my Dec ride planned to Hampi will redeem that feeling a bit.

Cheers,

Congratulations! clap:

My time to say, I told you so, just after you sold Godzilla -

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4133887)
PS: If you're open to buying pre-worshipped, there's always the Tiger. In fact, it might even feel like an upgrade from the Z.

But then you bought a Duke and then Versys and eventually listened to your heart anyways. When it comes to bikes, always listen to the heart. I always doubted if you would like the Versys, especially since it felt like a downgrade from the Z, to me at least. The 'zing' factor - like you said.

Wishing you a lot many happy miles on the Tiger.

PS: Traitor. :D

Congratulations ! clap:

I have clocked more than 15K kms on my Tiger 800 now, covered a lot of places in the process. From exploring the Western Ghats in peak monsoons to getting lost in the dense forests of Jharkhand to heading to far flung places like Niti Valley and Harsil, my love for this machine has only grown stronger and deeper with every mile I have covered. Unless you desire more outright power, this is one machine that will keep you happy for a long long time. The service costs are quite reasonable too by superbike standards and so far I have only good things to say about Triumph. That said, my interaction has been limited to only two dealers - B U Bhandari Triumph Pune and One Triumph Gurgaon.

Wishing you many many happy miles with this one. The industrial demeanor may not be aesthetically pleasing to all, but there is no doubting the abilities of this mile muncher. Ride safe. :thumbs up

Congrats man. The tiger is a fantastic bike for the road, and am sure you got a stellar deal on it used.

A few observations:
1. The versys seat height is 840 mm and is only adjustable standard by softening the rear suspension, which should bring it down a few mm at the most. The Himalayan is 800 mm and is the lowest adv bike at any price point sold in India.
2. I think you are running a very high tyre pressure. The versys which also has 17 inch wheels takes 33 for the front and 36 for the rear for a single rider with or without luggage. I would expect similar pressures for the tiger too. And this in light of a heavier versys.
3. Coming to weight, I was flabbergasted to read up in your post that the tiger is just around 200 kgs. Impossible! I had to go double check on the Internet. A friend who rides a Cbr 650 also mentioned this to me just yesterday but I didn’t believe him. But it looks like most of the weight is on top, just like the versys. Makes it extremely cumbersome and difficult to ride the bike off-road or in tough situations.
4. A lot of us me included used to climb on the versys using the pegs. It was plenty strong. Yes, we added a side stand foot enlarger, and I also had swmotech off-road pegs, so that helped a lot too.
5. Is that a belt buckle at the very end? :D

Good luck and enjoy the winter rides with the tiger. You got any big rides planned?

Congratulations for the new ride, the bike looks great ! The service cost looks surprising by a superbike standard. I follow the Tiger closely and had pretty much assurance about its suspension being butter smooth - your opinion came as a surprise -maybe because you are comparing it with the Versys.

Just curious(Not sure if there is a norm here), what was the deal you got it for - it will be useful for our future ambitions ;) If you are not comfortable with a number, the percent depreciation you got it for would do just fine. Thanks in advance and wishing countless cross country safe mile munching to both of you.

Congrats on your new bike and wishing you many kms of happy riding. Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets confused when looking to buy a bike :)

Many congrats on your acquisition. Good choice of going with the Tiger.

I am in a similar situation at the moment. I have a 2017 Ninja 650 (brought it new) with 12k kms on the ODO and i am already missing the "Zing" factor. The itch to upgrade to an inline 4 (or 3) is biting me hard from the past couple of months. I am think of selling my Ninja and getting a pre-loved CBR650 / Street triple/ speed triple / Z800 (i dont like the looks of Z900). I know that i will be loosing a lot on the re-sale and don't want to spend a bomb for my next machine also. I hate this confusion.

It is getting difficult to zero-in on the correct bike. I like faired machines but miss the nimbleness of a naked. But then, triple digit speeds on a naked are a pain in the neck. God, someone help me decide please. I am limited by my budget and thus the options listed are limited as well. I sometimes feel that a Tiger like bike is also apt given the comfort that it offers. But, do i need that kind of comfort for my breakfast rides and once in a quarter long ride (700-800 kms)?:Frustrati

I don't know. I know nothing. All is know is, i am missing the zing factor at the momentstupid:

Why this aversion on t-bhp of posting pics where people can see the face behind the nick! I'd to specifically ask Crazy_Driver to post a pic where we could see him and now you. :D

Congratulations on getting an extremely capable and comfy ride. And yours is loaded with accessories so that wash was all that it probably needed. I think the whole pre-owned market these days is so wide open that you can really find what you are looking for at the price point that totally makes sense. Safe riding!

There are enough motorcycle owners now in Mumbai, Pune to have a t-bhp meeting in Lonavala then?

Good things take time. But it's finally here! I said this earlier, in person, but super congratulations to you. I am sure, you will want to ride this more than the Z or the Versys. This motorcycle absolutely suits you. Don't sell now, just ride as much as you can. On a side note, i think Allen you have become faster?! Or is it just the Tiger?

P.S.
I couldn't help but notice that Triumph owners in Kerala insisted on KFC during their service, though chargeable, i wouldn't have complained in Bombay. Have had quite a few days spent without food at Triumph lol: