Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 14:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Triumph Daytona Moto2 765 Limited Edition : Bookings Open

Triumph's much awaited Daytona 765 which is based on the current Moto 2 bikes will finally be officially revealed at the GoPro British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Friday, August 23, 2019. Triumph is producing only 765 units for Europe and Asia and another 765 for the United States and Canada. As per reports, the motorcycle will only reach customers in March 2020.

Triumph Daytona Moto2 765 Limited Edition : Bookings Open-screenshot_20190726113521.png

Triumph Cochin is now taking bookings for the new Daytona. I checked with them on the expected pricing. The number given to them is up to Rs 22 lakhs on road with the possibility that it might be a little less as well.

Personally, this is probably too little too late. For a couple of years, journalists and enthusiasts have been clamouring for an updated Daytona and Triumph has curiously not been forthcoming with the details of the launch. By now, excitement has waned. In India, the ZX6R and ZX10R have been well priced and taken up a huge chunk of the market. At even say Rs 20 lakhs, the Daytona will find very few buyers in India.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 19:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Triumph Daytona Moto2 765 Limited Edition : Bookings Open

At that kind of pricing I'd rather have the Speed Triple or the Tuono V4.
Ducati have a mid engined Panigale at a lot lower price point don't they?
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 20:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Neil - i dont think there is any big market for these middle weight supersports in our indian market. There are very few track junkies who would appreciate the nimbleness of a 600-800cc supersports. Most folks buy it for breakfast rides - and a liter class bike gives you much more street cred there. Hence the craze for excellently priced ZX-10R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Ducati have a mid engined Panigale at a lot lower price point don't they?
Panigale 959 is around 19L OTR Blr ... so should be even lesser in KL
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 20:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
a liter class bike gives you much more street cred there. Hence the craze for excellently priced ZX-10R.

Panigale 959 is around 19L OTR Blr
Is it only about the street cred or do people who predominantly ride on the highways genuinely prefer the stability due to additional weight and far greater lower and mid range torque?

Ouch! I find 19 expensive for what they are, unless one really needs the fairings, a good naked makes the most sense for a street bike and occasional track use anywhere in the world IMHO.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 21:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Neil - i dont think there is any big market for these middle weight supersports in our indian market. There are very few track junkies who would appreciate the nimbleness of a 600-800cc supersports.
Market is small, yes! But I don't agree there is no market at all.

Kawasaki wouldn't have managed to dispatch 104 units of the pre-booked ZX6R in just six months, otherwise - which is the direct competition if the Daytona finally makes it here.

That said - A Daytona at 22L isn't going anywhere. Hope the production versions post this limited run will have more realistic pricing.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th July 2019 at 21:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 21:47   #6
BHPian

For Rs. 22L they are in the Yamaha R1 M territory. I hope it is fully decked out bike with all the bells and whistles and maybe something to make it a little more special like a great paint job. Else it may just be the import duties which is jacking the prices up as the first few won't be CKD units.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th July 2019 at 23:18. Reason: Typo.
RodRowdyBiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 09:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Triumph's higher ups eventually realized that working at their own pace meant that there was no longer anticipation for the Daytona 765 but apathy. How long can you have customers across the world excited for a product before they turn on you?

Hence came up with this marketing gimmick of having only limited production runs of the Daytona 765. If they were really confident of the product, why not launch it like any other model? Or just launch a regular version along with a higher version like this one.

Quote:
There are a lot of very very good bikes that you and I can get for Rs 22 lakhs. But you will get exclusivity with the new Daytona.

Quote:
Neil - i dont think there is any big market for these middle weight supersports in our indian market. There are very few track junkies who would appreciate the nimbleness of a 600-800cc supersports.
Very small market is left now. Im sure many of the track day enthusiasts have moved on the ZX6R after getting tired of waiting for the Daytona 765. Even for those non track enthusiasts looking for something exciting in the middleweight segment, this is just too expensive.

Quote:
Is it only about the street cred or do people who predominantly ride on the highways genuinely prefer the stability due to additional weight and far greater lower and mid range torque?
One or both depending on the buyer. If you compare the ZX6R and ZX10R, with the bigger Kawasaki, you get a lot more bike for not much more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Market is small, yes! But I don't agree there is no market at all.

Kawasaki wouldn't have managed to dispatch 104 units of the pre-booked ZX6R in just six months, otherwise - which is the direct competition if the Daytona finally makes it here.
Just like how the ZX10R brought in buyers in droves including all the fence sitters, I think the ZX6R has pretty much left only a handful of customers for the smaller middleweight segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRowdyBiker View Post
For Rs. 22L they are in the Yamaha R1 M territory. I hope it is fully decked out bike with all the bells and whistles and maybe something to make it a little more special like a great paint job. Else it may just be the import duties which is jacking the prices up as the first few won't be CKD units.
Triumph India has made poor pricing decisions in recent times while the competition has mostly swung the other way.
Old 29th July 2019, 07:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Neil - i dont think there is any big market for these middle weight supersports in our indian market. There are very few track junkies who would appreciate the nimbleness of a 600-800cc supersports. Most folks buy it for breakfast rides - and a liter class bike gives you much more street cred there. Hence the craze for excellently priced ZX-10R.
Agree about the market here, but since this particular bike is limited to just 765 across Asia/Europe, there might be a few people to jump the gun to get this exotic and exorbitantly priced middle weight super sport. Also as I understand, its 765 units for Asia + Europe combined and hence it might get sold out soon.

Quote:
Panigale 959 is around 19L OTR Blr ... so should be even lesser in KL
Kerala taxes for two wheeler's are now higher than Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRowdyBiker View Post
AFAIK, the price was just speculation by the dealer and nothing is official even elsewhere. At the moment, the ZX-6R is at a very good deal compared to any super sport on sale today. Also the R1M was last sold at ~37L on the road Bangalore, I guess you meant the standard R1 which is still at a good ~25L on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I think Triumph's higher ups eventually realized that working at their own pace meant that there was no longer anticipation for the Daytona 765 but apathy. How long can you have customers across the world excited for a product before they turn on you?

Hence came up with this marketing gimmick of having only limited production runs of the Daytona 765. If they were really confident of the product, why not launch it like any other model? Or just launch a regular version along with a higher version like this one.

There are a lot of very very good bikes that you and I can get for Rs 22 lakhs. But you will get exclusivity with the new Daytona.

Triumph India has made poor pricing decisions in recent times while the competition has mostly swung the other way.
Completely agree here. At 22L, there are plenty of litre class options around today. I think once the 765 units gets sold out, they might come up with a standard edition for sale since I find no reasons why the bike shouldn't be on sale. Anyway, the bike is getting unveiled next month on 23rd August and I hope these 765 units are for the track version and there will be a standard version with unlimited numbers.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:09   #9
BHPian

I don't think this is intended as a main stream production variant. I am guessing this will be closer to a moto2 spec machine with lightweight adjustible chassis and all the high spec ohlins, brembo stuff.

Considering a full moto2 spec kalex costs well over 100,000usd this is a bargain comparably. Those that are serious about track days or club racing will see the value in these. And at just 765 units I doubt we'd even get a chance to book them before it is sold out!

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 31st July 2019 at 10:12.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:19   #10
BHPian

The complete spec of the bike isn't out yet, or have I missed it. The only confirmation is the bike will run a 765 motor, but no specific word on the chassis, brakes, suspension, electronics etc., If this is indeed closer to the Moto 2 class, then it is a serious collectors item.
Old 24th August 2019, 00:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Preview

AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 09:24   #12
r.K
BHPian

Upto 22L? Would they price it at 19L or 18L? I guess not. I'd rather check out a sparingly used previous gen Daytona if I'm particular about it.

I currently ride an old CI bullet 350. Planning to get a conti gt650 and use it for a few years, to get used to the power increase and then move on to a superbike.
Old 24th August 2019, 17:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
Upto 22L? Would they price it at 19L or 18L? I guess not. I'd rather check out a sparingly used previous gen Daytona if I'm particular about it.

I currently ride an old CI bullet 350. Planning to get a conti gt650 and use it for a few years, to get used to the power increase and then move on to a superbike.
Why would they price it sensibly, it's just 765 machines, they gonna fly off the shelves. Best is to wait for the production machines to arrive.
Old 24th August 2019, 23:30   #14
r.K
BHPian

A quick background for all of you. I always liked motorcycles. I had a Hero Honda glamour when I was in college. And then I bought my current CI 350 from a friend of mine who was finding difficult to maintain it. This was in 2009 right after college and some months into my first job. The glamour was sold sometime inbetween. Life was chugging along.

One fine day I visited the Harley showroom in Nungambakkam (now closed). I test drove the Iron 883 and I was hooked! I thought cruisers were meant for me and defined who I was (or so I thought).

Another fine day, on my way to work on ecr road, I heard a high revving engine coming up behind me. It was a white blip when it zoomed past me; it had the best exhaust note, eargasms galore as it went by! I could hear his gear changes-1st gear all the way to the top, and successive upshifts. Lightning acceleration. I had not seen or experienced anything like it at that time. Managed to catch it at the signal. The decal read Truimph on the tank and Daytona on the fairing. That moment I realized, I should get a sports bike and tourers are not for me. The low stance, that high revving engine, adrenaline pumping acceleration-wow. I test drove the Daytona at harbor motors the next weekend. It was love at first sight.

Life rolled on. Got married, bought a house, now buying a car (priorities you see). Still riding my bullet. I constantly visit the showrooms to take a test ride whenever I feel low that I've not been able to buy a motorcycle, and get it out of my system. I've test driven the kawasakis, ducatis, triumphs and the occasional Harley. Life goes on...

Those of you here who do have a proper motorcycle, cherish it with all your heart. You are so lucky. Experience them to the fullest as much as possible. We are not getting younger you see

Last edited by r.K : 24th August 2019 at 23:44.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

A tad melodramatic I would say!
The second hand market has really evolved in the last few years. Enough clean examples at every price point( you will find a fat gixxer for 5 lakhs if you look around). If a Daytona is your ultimate fix, you can always work your way towards it . That's the fun part of the journey. It might take time but you ll always have something to look forward to.
Also, age has nothing to do with riding. Most of the people I ride with are way over the half century mark and do not ride 'Hardly Ableson', but your regular naked and faired sports bikes.
I assume you are young, late 20s early 30s, you have enough time to plan your biking journey and with the market both new and used improving things can only get better and easier.

Last edited by bigron : 25th August 2019 at 07:51.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks