Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 13:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Just because you triggered a thought by asking us what all could KTM have added -

0. A very big and wide stock wind-screen
1. Cruise Control
2. A side-exhaust as an option (stock exhaust could make a pillion's life miserable)
3. Heated grips
4. Heated seat
5. Engine braking control - multiple settings to change the behaviour

Do note, this is a wish-list. I am in no way opining that the current list of features is insufficient.
Taking the view of competition, what is offered by Striple of the above list, as a matter of fact KTM has more torque, where in Striple has more BHP. I think cornering ABS is also missing in Striple. Striple though has an additional engine.

The wishlist above would definitely add upto the price and take it much higher. I think if we compare apple to apple, seems KTM is pretty loaded to compete with competition.

Striple is an established product, and we all know KTM niggle stories. The international version of 790 also has some issues as already pointed on the thread. But calling the bike barebone (If interpreted by me correctly) is a little surprising.

OTR eventually would be lesser then striple.
Old 17th September 2019, 13:57   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. Heated grips
4. Heated seat
Which part of the country? I keep wishing someone had offered cooled seats instead, on humid days.

On a more serious note - your wishlist is more applicable on the 790 ADV rather than the street focussed Duke.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which part of the country? I keep wishing someone had offered cooled seats instead, on humid days.

On a more serious note - your wishlist is more applicable on the 790 ADV rather than the street focussed Duke.
I am guessing somewhere from north side, the winters can pose a real challenge to ride there, and those two features will be godsend

Last edited by AtheK : 17th September 2019 at 14:18.
Old 17th September 2019, 14:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Not sure whjat else could have KTM added to this bike
I already own a Duke 390. The equipment levels are mostly the same between the 390 and 790 barring may be a few bits and bobs and a way bigger engine. Price diff of 8 Lakhs especially when you look at what the 390 sells at, is what makes it hard to swallow.

But then again, as I said earlier, if the heart falls in love after riding, it will do so without any calculations.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 18:22. Reason: Quote trimmed.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 15:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Taking the view of competition, what is offered by Striple of the above list, as a matter of fact KTM has more torque, where in Striple has more BHP. I think cornering ABS is also missing in Striple. Striple though has an additional engine.

The wishlist above would definitely add upto the price and take it much higher. I think if we compare apple to apple, seems KTM is pretty loaded to compete with competition.

Striple is an established product, and we all know KTM niggle stories. The international version of 790 also has some issues as already pointed on the thread. But calling the bike barebone (If interpreted by me correctly) is a little surprising.

OTR eventually would be lesser then striple.
As I mentioned, I was merely answering the question - "what more could be added by KTM"?

On a more serious note, yes, you are absolutely right. On paper the Duke is a little but better than the Street Triple RS - especially due to the higher GC.

Quote:
Striple though has an additional engine.
I wasn't aware that it comes with an additional "engine"! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yep, the additional cylinder will always play with the minds of buyers who are considering the Duke 790 / Striple RS.

Quote:
Quote:
I am guessing somewhere from north side, the winters can pose a real challenge to ride there, and those two features will be godsend
It gets really cold in Pune during winter.

Quote:
As the list was composed without any bit of seriousness, glad to know it resonated on some level!

Last edited by GoBlue : 17th September 2019 at 15:26.
Old 17th September 2019, 15:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned, I was merely answering the question - "what more could be added by KTM"?
Lol, what a miss on my side. That said I will probably still side with a pre owned RS over Duke 790 for a niggle free experience.

Though cost of ownership would be much lower with Duke.
Once the 890 hits the market, it will be come even better.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 18:23. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:25   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is how the experts have weighed in.

Dont judge the bikes until you have ridden both of them.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure what else could have KTM added to this bike
Air Conditioning ?
nishsingh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:59   #39
Team-BHP Support

Its official now -

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-instimage3.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 23:33   #40
RMN
BHPian

On the fence about this one even though i've been longing for it. KTM India pretty much launching this when its about to become an outgoing model leaves a bad taste. By the looks of it, someone at KTM decided to dump a small lot in India to clear stock for the upcoming 890!
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 17:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

It's official, launch on 23rd.

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-screenshot_20190921175827_whatsapp.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 18:23. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:03   #42
BHPian

Ex Showroom Price: 8,63,945 INR

Are test rides available? Will be my only question, as I would be scared to ride it at the first place!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:09   #43
Team-BHP Support

Launched. Pricing and EMI options -

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img20190923wa0004.jpg

Undercuts the Street Triple S by 56k.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd September 2019 at 13:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:15   #44
BHPian

Re: KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L

The pricing is good with what it offers. But if I was in the market I would still go with the STriple. Have a few reasons for that and am happy to be corrected.

- Rear suspension is stiff as mentioned in the initial reports on this thread. With the kind of streets we have the STriple at least on paper is a better option.
- Looks from the comments I read on some forums(FB). Looks like 390 Duke. Although I believe in person this will look a lot different with chunkier tyres, twin discs and the upswept exhaust. Can these differences be spotted by an average Joe is something to look for when it hits the road.
- It has a strong competition in the Striple to beat. And yes, the triple will sound better.
- Will Z900 be an option? Inline 4 howl can get anyone to lose their senses and open their wallet for the booking. On similar lines is the Suzuki GSX-S750 which is priced more than a lac below. Hard to ignore the pricing aspect.
- Before anyone says 'Weight?'. The STriple is marginally lighter.
aghate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:12   #45
BHPian

Re: KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L

A different pricing approach here by KTM.

The 390 is priced very competitively in India compared to rest of the world. Since the 390 is being made in India (even for exports), KTM could price it really well and that's the reason it has become so successful inspite of being a relatively expensive motorcycle.

The 790, on the other hand, is much more costly in India than the rest of the world. If they can start manufacturing the 790 in India and price it aggressively, they can have another winner at hand. Specially with the 790 adventure versions, they can really shake up the competition. The Tiger has become very costly and the GS range is also too expensive. Hopefully, KTM has some plans of manufacturing the new gen rumoured 890 in India.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks