Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 09:48   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L

Bollywood actor Dino Morea takes delivery of the first KTM 790 Duke -

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-ktm790dukedeliveries.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 20:53   #62
BHPian

For me the biggest biggest problems with the ktm is it's looks. Heck most manufacturers plast a common face on all it's models. Kawasaki has been guilty of doing that with the Ninja 400 and zx6r and now even the 2020 Ninja 650 has joined the club of look a likes.Its happening in the car world and now we slowly seeing it happen in the biking world. If only the 790 looked a bit more different and dramatic compared to the 390, it would have still managed to take on the competition at it's price point, given all the electronics it offers.
Old 11th October 2019, 19:08   #63
BHPian

So I've been thinking,

This bike has an IMU, for about 6K one can upgrade the brake pads to sintered Brembos or some such, that should improve the braking. Does it have steel braided lines ? If not, that's an easy upgrade.

The front suspension can get adjustable cartridges from Andreani Misano for 40K, if you want / need it.

For those who want to tour it looks like it'll easily take a hard luggage system. Let alone offering KTMs network and lower maintenance costs.

Bajaj Finserv are offering low interest rates too. All in, one probably gets around 4 Lakhs savings over the Striple RS. Perhaps it isn't so bad a value as I initially thought.

Would love to hear what you guys think.
Old 11th October 2019, 19:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
So I've been thinking,......

Would love to hear what you guys think.
Question 1: Have you test-ridden both the Duke 790 and the Street Triple RS?

Question 2: If answer to question one is a yes, then which one blew your mind? Go for the one that impressed you the most.

When it comes to bike purchases, it's best to let the heart take precedence over the mind.

Last edited by GoBlue : 11th October 2019 at 19:58.
GoBlue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 20:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Question 2: If answer to question one is a yes, then which one blew your mind? Go for the one that impressed you the most.

When it comes to bike purchases, it's best to let the heart take precedence over the mind.
1) No I haven't, because

A) I don't want to test ride until I have enough for a down payment

B) I'm not certain I shouldn't use the down payment to just buy a 390 outright. I had oodles of fun on it when I owned one. Right up until an acquaintance totalled it.

C) I haven't broached the subject with SWMBO. She may just want an ADV for a more comfortable seat. Even though we probably won't go touring often, if at all.

D) I'm still in the research phase

2) Ofcourse. Am with you there, but, the savings aren't insignificant are they?
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 01:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Just to help. I have ridden both (not the latest RS).

The KTM 790 Duke has everything, all the kit you need and rides good in the city and also on the highway. Typical KTM in the city though, does not feel happy under 4k revvs. But the Triumph Street Triple RS feels a lot more special.
  1. The 790 looks very close to a 390.
  2. So the Street Triple RS surely has looks covered
  3. The Street Triple RS feels a lot more smoother to ride
  4. The RS sounds better. No doubt.
  5. Electronics package on the 790 will take care of newbies with anti-wheelie and all that
  6. RS just lets you have fun instantly. I was having a ball within minutes of hopping on the saddle.

PROOF that I have had both of them between my legs...
KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-g0112140_fotor.jpg
KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img_20180522_082046_fotor.jpg

What would I pick? The RS, if I had the money

Once you ride these, the Z900 & GSX-S750 are going to feel boring. Very boring. And yes, heavy too!

Last edited by parrys : 26th October 2019 at 01:44.
parrys is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:18   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

So I had a go at this one just yesterday.

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img_20191112_131751.jpg

Quick views:

+1 Very light
+2 Razor sharp handling
+3 Amazing throaty exhaust - see video
+4 Pretty comfy seat
+5 Crazy electronics package

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img_20191112_131807.jpg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img_20191112_131819.jpg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img_20191112_131841.jpg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-img_20191112_131954.jpg

-1 Gets hot pretty fast, thanks to the exhaust routing
-2 Looks a bit too similar to the new Duke 390
-3 Power is insane. I can't dream of this being a daily bike.
-4 Not as exotic as the other exotics
-5 I'm not into street naked's so :|

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th November 2019 at 14:19.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 00:27   #68
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some advice from the experts

I have a 2018 Duke 390 which has done 15k kilometres (all interstate touring) and a recently purchased Himalayan for country side touring and for puttering around town

Until a couple of days ago, I had no intention of upgrading from the 390 as it served me perfectly. I love the adequate power, the ability to cruise at speeds of 130 km/hr (I don’t generally go above that speed), the balance of the bike, the one finger braking and the fact that it turns/corners incredibly well. I actually have no reason to upgrade- honestly

However I have been offered a mouth watering deal for the BS4 790 which I need to decide on by Monday.

Points to be considered and where I need help

(1) Is the motorcycle reliable (I tour solo)

(2) I am 5”5 (with shoes). I am just about comfortable on the D390 in terms of resting my feet on the ground. I checked but there is not a single 790 nearby - which I can sit on to gauge the riding posture and the ability of my feet to touch the ground. Does anybody have any idea of how would it be

(3) I don’t plan on riding the 790 above speeds of 130 km/hr but i want to buy it because it will get to those speeds faster than the 390 (which doesn’t scare me now as I am used to the power delivery) and because reviews tell me that the twin cylinder has the low end torque which the single cylinder doesn’t have

(4) Any idea about after sales support and spare part availability of the consumables?

(5) Has anybody done long distance touring on this? I am okay with the windblast because I have only toured on the P180, Electra, D390 and Himalayan and have never owned a faired motorcycle.

(6) The 790 doesn’t have Bluetooth connectivity for music and incoming calls like the 390 does. However, the dealership said I can get a KTM Powerpart for 12k INR which will integrate Bluetooth into the TFT

(7) Is there anything else which I should consider?

Would appreciate any comments/inputs as I am truly confused and I have to make a decision in the next couple of days

Last edited by rahul4321 : 15th March 2020 at 00:41.
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 20:49   #69
BANNED

As you said- I actually have no reason to upgrade- honestly, then don't. Getting easy money should not influence your buying decision IMO.
Old 22nd March 2020, 12:05   #70
BHPian

Frankly the looks is only an issue in India. In Europe where all the dukes are sold or in all the international reviews I haven't come across a single publication criticising the looks. It only in India where one expects the bike to look its price. Frankly for the price I think the 790 is actually very good value for money. A street Triple RS is almost 4 lakh more expensive, heck even the Street Triple S which has non adjustable suspension and almost no electronics costs more.

I rode the bike in a mix of highways and city traffic. The heat issue is only in bad traffic conditions and its the same with my RC390 or the Duke 390 as well. But on the go there is no such issue. Like other supersports or naked sports this is a 800 cc motorcycle and you cannot expect it to stay cool in peak traffic.

In fact i put my money where my mouth is. My dearest friend owns the Street Triple S and i chose the 790 over it and booked it.
balenopower is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
As you said- I actually have no reason to upgrade- honestly, then don't. Getting easy money should not influence your buying decision IMO.
Its not easy money. I am a salaried guy who saves as much as possible to buy motorcycles and riding gear

I was thinking of the upgrade because (a) I would get tired of the 390 eventually at which point of time I would need to upgrade (b) I was getting the motorcycle at close to 7 lakhs On Road; a price point at which it would never be available again.

Just like any other normal person - I do not want to miss out on a deal where I get a product at a hugely discounted rate. Especially when I cannot afford the real (non-discounted) On-Road MRP of the product

Last edited by rahul4321 : 23rd March 2020 at 18:00. Reason: Addition
rahul4321 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:19   #72
BHPian

OT but If you really love the bike just get it. Some purchases need to be from the heart disregarding the mind. I saved up for a yamaha r3 but it wasn't available and I ended up spending a lot more for a Z650 which honestly was quite a stretch for me considering my earnings. But it was a once in a lifetime offer on Bs4 stocks. When I finished test riding the bike I just knew I had to have it and paid the down payment immediately without delay as I knew it I thought rationally I might convince myself otherwise

So this is the best time to buy vehicles due to the emission norms which result in mouth watering deals like these. If you change your mind and wish to sell off the bike in future you won't lose too much as the newer version will be priced a lot higher than 7 lakhs.

So think hard and if you still believe this bike will bring you smiles and joy using it I feel you should go for it if your financial situation supports it.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd March 2020 at 19:16.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:59   #73

I have picked up my Duke 790 & would like to visit Ooty in Mid April.

During the running in period (1000kms or 45 days) is it advisable that I undertake this trip or postpone it post the completion of the 1st service?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd March 2020 at 20:11. Reason: Merged the posts. Thanks
subhashjo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:05   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashjo View Post
I have picked up my Duke 790 & would like to visit Ooty in Mid April.

During the running in period (1000kms or 45 days) is it advisable that I undertake this trip or postpone it post the completion of the 1st service?
Postpone it until after the service 1. The Ooty bends might be a bit much for the bike before the service. Ideally, 4 short trips of 250 kms each on single carriageway not exceeding mandated rpm, and traffic which forces you to constantly work all the gears but still keep moving relatively quick.

Once, towards the end of 1000 kms, explore the rev limiter once in the top gears (4th and 5th].

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd March 2020 at 21:06.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 23:50   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ideally, 4 short trips of 250 kms each on single carriageway not exceeding mandated rpm, and traffic which forces you to constantly work all the gears but still keep moving relatively quick.

Once, towards the end of 1000 kms, explore the rev limiter once in the top gears (4th and 5th].
Thanks for the suggestion - with the current situation in Bangalore, I doubt I'd be permitted to venture out of the city; or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Would you also have some routes in mind; In & around Bangalore? I was thinking Kolar/KGF for this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks