Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

500cc Harley(Buell); Enfield wake up or Tie up!

Buell Motorcycles | Bikes | Blast® | Blast | Gallery

500cc, 163kg, 34hp, 41Nm@3.2k, mileage? 3.4l/100km!!!
Old 13th February 2007, 11:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Must be their economy high mileage model for teens under the legal license age
Old 13th February 2007, 12:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

is buell part of harley ! ! !.
i didnt knew that, heard about economical bikes from buell.
are the bike relaible and worth their cost??
my friend is looking at used 400cc bikes (he has ninja zxr400 in his mind). anyother usd bike should he consider???
Old 13th February 2007, 16:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

forget abt teens, its got 34bhp. I will buy one for the looks and built quality etc
Old 13th February 2007, 16:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
forget abt teens,. I will buy one
I stand corrected. I meant to say juveniles, of course. Ich jha baybee happy wappy ?
Old 13th February 2007, 18:18   #6
BANNED

34BHp is weak by 500cc standards, the new pulsar makes 20BHP from 220cc. And the ancient Bullet makes 22bhp from 500cc.

From the look of the crankcase it seems the engine is the Buell Firebolt's minus one cylinder.
Old 14th February 2007, 06:28   #7
BHPian

dude its a 500cc 2 valved 4 stroke SINGLE with a LOAD of torque ! u want bhp get an inline 4 or more . and the engine is most probably based on a hardley desielson !! i say good show with both hp and torque ...more importantly torque . loads of stress free riding on this bike . plus shes a buell .. will handle like a dream .

by ur logic pulsar 220 makes 20bhp . so pulsur 440 will make 40 bhp and pulsur 500 40 + bhp !! LOL .
Old 14th February 2007, 15:16   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
dude its a 500cc 2 valved 4 stroke SINGLE with a LOAD of torque ! u want bhp get an inline 4 or more . and the engine is most probably based on a hardley desielson !! i say good show with both hp and torque ...more importantly torque . loads of stress free riding on this bike . plus shes a buell .. will handle like a dream .

by ur logic pulsar 220 makes 20bhp . so pulsur 440 will make 40 bhp and pulsur 500 40 + bhp !! LOL .

So it's a torque laden monster eh? How much 41NM?? From a 500cc thumper with an overhead cam and modern technology?? Too low in my book... The bullet 500 makes 35.9NM with a 1940's pushrod engine technology.

And the Pulsar is a two valve overhead cam design too... i just mentioned Pulsar because 34 BHP is not great and mentioned Bullet 500 with it's antique engine because 41NM isn't that great either... Okay okay Comet 250 is 30BHP (27 for India) but i didnt mention because it's a 8 valve twin.

The Firebolt & the Lighting which uses the same bore and stroke dimensions as the 500 makes more power per cyl than the 500. So in my theory Pulsar 440 should make more than 40BHP. LOL it might!! Because most of the issues which are associated with a single cylinder machine can effectively be addressed with a multi.

And anyone buying a Buell for handling..... yes maybe those who want to upgrade from Harley... coz it has the same heart. There are better handlers from Italy and Japan.

I ride a Bullet now and i used to ride around on a Honda 750/4 and a RD350. No haven't ridden a Buell yet. Have you?

EDIT: Btw the Buell twins are decent because it has decent power&torque figures,the handling is good for an American machine and looks good.

Last edited by Sankar : 14th February 2007 at 15:27.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
is buell part of harley ! ! !.
i didnt knew that, heard about economical bikes from buell.
are the bike relaible and worth their cost??
Buell makes the chassis and takes the engines from Harley. They should be as reliable as Harleys may hope to be.

As someone said - Great bike! Pity about the engine, though!
Old 15th February 2007, 00:14   #10
BANNED

I cannot see how people with good reasoning power buy Harleys, Buells, Indians, Victorys etc. I can see how one can buy it to be a part of a cult, or with patriotic feelings about buying an American bike. Definitely not for ride quality, build quality or power.

Even the Harley V-rod with a Porsche designed engine sucks. There was a drag race with a 15 year old Suzuki naked bike on Speed channel, and the Suzi smoked the v-rod.

At every biker stop, I see harley guys waiting for their engines to cool down, tightening stuff, & cleaning the oil on their chrome. Buell is worse, so many parts on their bikes are made of cheap plastic. Buell Ulysses got good reviews, but I am sure the japs, or KTM will smoke them square.
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X—Winter 2006

To me - Buell looks wierd at best, and I cannot trust the bike even for 1000 miles.
-Prasadee
Old 15th February 2007, 06:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Saw one at the dealership recently when I went out to pickup a leather jacket for a friend. Looked really small and compact. Had 16" wheels that looked oddly small, but its a part of its handling secret.

Last edited by Mpower : 15th February 2007 at 20:15.
Old 15th February 2007, 11:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I cannot see how people with good reasoning power buy Harleys, Buells, Indians, Victorys etc. I can see how one can buy it to be a part of a cult, or with patriotic feelings about buying an American bike. Definitely not for ride quality, build quality or power.

Even the Harley V-rod with a Porsche designed engine sucks. There was a drag race with a 15 year old Suzuki naked bike on Speed channel, and the Suzi smoked the v-rod.

At every biker stop, I see harley guys waiting for their engines to cool down, tightening stuff, & cleaning the oil on their chrome. Buell is worse, so many parts on their bikes are made of cheap plastic. Buell Ulysses got good reviews, but I am sure the japs, or KTM will smoke them square.
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X—Winter 2006

To me - Buell looks wierd at best, and I cannot trust the bike even for 1000 miles.
-Prasadee

The Harleys, Buells and others are not built to SMOKE anyone else. I do agree about the build quality and other stuff, but the basic idea of these cruisers is to be able to ride comfortably over long distances and not to smoke people at traffic signals.

We did the 7-Emirates ride last week where there were more than 25 bikes and after an hour of riding the non-cruiser boys were crying out for the others to stop, stretching their legs in saddle and once we stopped they were stretching their arms and legs, holding onto their sides et al.

The Buell looks weird, but thats part of the image - some people want them because they look weird. Just like some people keep saying "get a real bike - get a Harley" even as their engine shudders visibly in its frame like the diesel/kerosene pumpset in my farm back home. But a Buell is basically a Harley that Handles.

Horses for courses.
Old 15th February 2007, 12:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

buell coming our way ????? when and how ?
Old 16th February 2007, 05:58   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Harleys, Buells and others are not built to SMOKE anyone else.
Horses for courses.
Ok lets just talk about crusiers then. Compare a Honda Shadow to a Harley Sportster. A shadow can run without any maintenance for 10 times the duration a Harley can. Even in terms of comfort, and handling the japs are so much more capable. I rented a Harley sportster once, it had 1000 miles on it, and was leaking oil all over the place. My friend has a shadow, it has 100,000 miles, and runs better than the Sportster.

IMHO, Harleys and Buells can only make 2 kinds of people happy.
1. Motorcycle Tow truck owners
2. Patriotic Harley fanatics
Old 16th February 2007, 10:34   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Ok lets just talk about crusiers then. Compare a Honda Shadow to a Harley Sportster. A shadow can run without any maintenance for 10 times the duration a Harley can. Even in terms of comfort, and handling the japs are so much more capable. I rented a Harley sportster once, it had 1000 miles on it, and was leaking oil all over the place. My friend has a shadow, it has 100,000 miles, and runs better than the Sportster.

IMHO, Harleys and Buells can only make 2 kinds of people happy.
1. Motorcycle Tow truck owners
2. Patriotic Harley fanatics
It's like the Bullet and the other bikes syndrome...bulllet's leak oil costs a lot to maintain and still people buy them whereas the newer bikes are ten times more efficient & cheaper to maintain than the bullets. people buy them too.

That's why we have so many different kinds of cars/trucks/bikes/clothes/whatever on the market, the people are so very different.. each to his own. The reason could be anything, but in the end if it makes the owner/buyer happy then the mission is accomplished and it's a succesfull product!

And variety is the spice of the life.. it makes the world an interesting place to spend your lifetime in

Most Viewed