Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 01:53   #1
BHPian

BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

While those of us who own BMW motorbikes love them for their build quality, functionality and general long term durability, the ownership comes at a premium to buy (and maintain). However, many times beautiful ownership experiences can turn sour depending on the particular dealer's conduct.

Case in question is a friend of mine from Kolkata who bought the flagship K1600GTL and had been putting the bike to good use. Unfortunately for him, he had an accident from a skid at regular cruising speeds in early May this year and while he came out largely unscathed, it seems the bike needs an astronomical figure to fix (not surprising for a BMW)!! Nevertheless he had adequate insurance cover also but things have so far not gone exactly the way they should have.

Posting on his behalf & request (since he is not a member), his complaint to BMW Motorrad India. Its also on their FB page)

Dear BMW Motorrad Team,

Regret to inform you that I own a BMW Motorrad K1600 GTL in India bearing the VIN number WB10F0201JZ528281. My motorcycle is lying at one of your authorised work-shops located at Bengal Motorrad , 151, Arupota, Vill.24 Pgs.(S) Kolkata- 700105. Unfortunately on 4th May 2019, I met with an accident on the said motorcycle at a destination almost 350 kms away from Kolkata, West Bengal, India. The vehicle was shipped to the workshop through BMW RSA program as on 7th May 2019. Please note the following and put your kind attention towards the same:
1. Now it has been more than 4 months that the vehicle is lying idle in the workshop without any maintenance.

2. The vehicle estimate came out to be more than 19,00,000/- (Nineteen Lakhs).

3. As the dealer refused to start the job process without advance, the insurance firm had transferred INR 8,00,000/- (8 Lakhs) as an advance for the repair job as on 7th July 2019. Please find the payment details in the Image below for your kind reference.

4. The last communication received from the service manager of the said dealership stated that 'BMW Motorrad has blocked the parts billing for Bengal Motorrad Dealership, so they are unable to order parts' just after receiving the advance.

Does it take so many months just to repair a motorcycle ?
Is BMW Motorrad K1600 GTL is so cheaply manufactured that a skid at 70kmph (cruise control on) on a tarmac would cost 70% of the total valuation (IDV) of the motorcycle ?

BMW Motorrad is answerable to denote such pathetic customer support for their premium motorcycle users. Looking for your valuable response on the same.

Regards

BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs-gtl2.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 17th September 2019 at 02:04.
Haroon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 07:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

Just ask him to send a legal notice to the dealer to either return the funds or proceed with the repairs otherwise face litigation ( the fact that their parts billing is suspended acts in your favor). In the interim ask him to write emails to everyone he can find from India head right up to Germany narrating his ordeal. ( I am aware that when it comes to motorcycle parts BMW is very slow, happened with 2 1200gs owners I know)

The dealers act cocky because we allow them act cocky.

Last edited by bigron : 17th September 2019 at 07:24.
bigron is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 07:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

Take any Superbike and start stripping parts from the front to the rear. Now, check the price of each part and prepare an excel sheet detailing the part number and cost. At the end of your exercise you'll realise that the total cost of spare parts is atleast 3x to 4x of the bike cost (guesstimate).

Now, take this number and multiply by 3, that's what one would pay for BMW bike parts. It is ridiculous and mind numbing to see basic stuff sold by the dealer for an uptick of parts cost. For example, one can get OEM genuine Brembo brake pads for the GS at around $200 roughly. BMW will charge you Rs. 35,000/- for it. There's no logic to this.

Overall I guess, their ownership of Rolls Royce has rubbed into the company culture. A friend from California writes:

"I had a friend who was the west coast service engineer for RR some years ago. In those days, they had a very clear policy on warranty repairs. 'The customer pays because he can.' "

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th September 2019 at 09:38.
moralfibre is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Take any Superbike and start stripping parts from the front to the rear. Now, check the price of each part and prepare an excel sheet detailing the part number and cost. At the end of your exercise you'll realise that the total cost of spare parts is atleast 3x to 4x of the bike cost (guesstimate).

Now, take this number and multiply by 3, that's what one would pay for BMW bike parts. It is ridiculous and mind numbing to see basic stuff sold by the dealer for a uptick of parts cost. For example, one can get OEM genuine Brembo brake pads for the GS at around $200 roughly. BMW will charge you Rs. 35,000/- for it. There's no logic to this.
OT : And here I was cribbing about the 15K raised for 2 sets fo Brembo for Ducati MS 1260S, Relieved.

BTW it always better to source the parts, I did not have the luxury of time, so had to go with the Ducati AS*.

Last edited by Vasuki : 17th September 2019 at 09:31.
Vasuki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:16   #5
BHPian

He is awaiting BMW Motorrad India's response/remedy to decide if he should take it to the next level.

In the meanwhile, here below is a pic of the bike's so called OE "Engine Guard", which is supposed to protect the engine but ends up breaking the engine case!! These engine guards (for this and many other superbikes) are at best ONLY for protecting the engine and in some cases your ankle, WHEN dropped in the parking lot or dropped at very slow speeds. Beyond that they just make an already bad damage even worse. Just gives us a psychological sense of security that if I drop the bike there is protection.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs-gtl3.jpg  

BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs-gtl4.jpg  

Haroon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
The vehicle estimate came out to be more than 19,00,000/- (Nineteen Lakhs).
That is almost 70% of the ex showroom price listed on their website. Why isn't this a write off?

Even if they manage to fix it all, I would not ride this motorcycle ever again. Inflated costs for parts, or not, that is some significant component damage.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

Quote:
3. As the dealer refused to start the job process without advance, the insurance firm had transferred INR 8,00,000/- (8 Lakhs) as an advance for the repair job as on 7th July 2019. Please find the payment details in the Image below for your kind reference.

4. The last communication received from the service manager of the said dealership stated that 'BMW Motorrad has blocked the parts billing for Bengal Motorrad Dealership, so they are unable to order parts' just after receiving the advance.
Haroon, I hope this thread helps spur BMW Motorrad into action to get the bike back on the road. I am rather puzzled by the claim of the blocking of parts billing for the dealership by the company. To my knowledge, this happens when the dealership is going to be terminated and / or the company temporarily ceases on-going operations due to various differences between them and the dealer. If it is either of the cases, it would be a cause for serious concern.

If the blocking of the parts billing is not true then the dealership is likely sitting on the advance amount and using it for other expenses till they are forced to finally place the order for the replacement parts due to pressure from the concerned parties.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Why not just take the advance amount back along with the bike and try some other dealer. Try to confirm the new dealer's ability to source parts before hand. Better still try to get in writing which dealer they would suggest by BMW India or company headquarter itself.

As with this dealer, I think there is no point in waiting for any response. A legal notice would definitely set the dealer straight and things will move ahead swiftly. Try consumer forum (it's much faster).

Your friend should also inform BMW Motorrad about this thread in Team-bhp
bmw_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is almost 70% of the ex showroom price listed on their website. Why isn't this a write off?

Even if they manage to fix it all, I would not ride this motorcycle ever again. Inflated costs for parts, or not, that is some significant component damage.
True. Since the Insurance company didnt declare it a total loss, it the customer's call now

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Haroon, I hope this thread helps spur BMW Motorrad into action to get the bike back on the road. I am rather puzzled by the claim of the blocking of parts billing for the dealership by the company. To my knowledge, this happens when the dealership is going to be terminated and / or the company temporarily ceases on-going operations due to various differences between them and the dealer. If it is either of the cases, it would be a cause for serious concern.

If the blocking of the parts billing is not true then the dealership is likely sitting on the advance amount and using it for other expenses till they are forced to finally place the order for the replacement parts due to pressure from the concerned parties.
From the looks of it, the dealer maybe is on a credit hold and possibly on way to shut shop also. Anyway on their FB page, BMW has responded asking for his contact details etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
Why not just take the advance amount back along with the bike and try some other dealer. Try to confirm the new dealer's ability to source parts before hand. Better still try to get in writing which dealer they would suggest by BMW India or company headquarter itself.

As with this dealer, I think there is no point in waiting for any response. A legal notice would definitely set the dealer straight and things will move ahead swiftly. Try consumer forum (it's much faster).

Your friend should also inform BMW Motorrad about this thread in Team-bhp
After he got to know of the dealer's parts ordering issue, thats what he is asking, for the money to be returned or bike being repaired at another dealer and the advance paid to be transferred to them.

Not sure if it was coincidence, but after I suggested to him to post on Team-bhp and he requested me to post on his behalf here, BMW India has promptly replied to him on FB for potentially resolving the problem I hope
Attached Thumbnails
BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs-gtl5.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 18th September 2019 at 15:16.
Haroon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
After he got to know of the dealer's parts ordering issue, thats what he is asking, for the money to be returned or bike being repaired at another dealer and the advance paid to be transferred to them.

Not sure if it was coincidence, but after I suggested to him to post on Team-bhp and he requested me to post on his behalf here, BMW India has promptly replied to him on FB for potentially resolving the problem I hope

Have been coming across threads like this with alarming frequency.
Dealers and car companies try to get away with all kinds of behavior, only to back off when they hear about it being posted on our forum.

Car companies should provide adequate service, instead of members having to resort to pleas for help on the internet.
Team BHP is a great community, and our knowledge and passion for cars (and bikes) is making a difference in the Indian car market, but we are generally a vocal minority.
There must be a lot of unreported cases like this, and something must be done about it.
sleepyk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 16:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Does it take so many months just to repair a motorcycle ?
The unfortunate state of premium bike ownership in our country. I had a similar issue with my Road Glide. Met with an accident which damaged the fairing and other parts. HD took about 8 months to get all the parts to repair the bike.

Even then I had to resort to importing some parts myself to speed things up. Throughout the whole repair, the dealership kept asking HD for a status update or delivery dates but never got a reply. Just showed a complete lack of interest in customer service from HD.

I've begun telling people if you can't put up with this, then don't buy a premium bike in India. Companies should have better service, maybe if it starts affecting their bottom line then we'll see a change.

Quote:
Is BMW Motorrad K1600 GTL is so cheaply manufactured that a skid at 70kmph (cruise control on) on a tarmac would cost 70% of the total valuation (IDV) of the motorcycle ?
A crash at 70 kmph is not a small thing. The bike seems to have weathered it pretty decently. Also individual part and repair costs are way more expensive than the factory fit - more so in India where prices are marked up.

Quote:
These engine guards (for this and many other superbikes) are at best ONLY for protecting the engine and in some cases your ankle, WHEN dropped in the parking lot or dropped at very slow speeds. Beyond that they just make an already bad damage even worse. Just gives us a psychological sense of security that if I drop the bike there is protection.
You seem to have answered your own complaint, the crash guard is designed more to help the rider not get pinned under the bike over protecting the bike. In a heavy crash, I would rather the bike take damage than me.

Last edited by VellVector : 21st September 2019 at 16:05. Reason: Typo.
VellVector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 17:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post

Even then I had to resort to importing some parts myself to speed things up. Throughout the whole repair, the dealership kept asking HD for a status update or delivery dates but never got a reply. Just showed a complete lack of interest in customer service from HD.
That's actually a good point - usually we get frustrated with the dealers and find it hard to trust them when they say the parts are being sourced globally from parent company and it is taking time. I never faced an issue like this but it's probably worth remembering and asking the dealer to show some evidence of the same.

Then comes the FB post or social media rant against the company that can only be done by a customer and not the dealer.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 21:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
The unfortunate state of premium bike.........

You seem to have answered your own complaint, the crash guard is designed more to help the rider not get pinned under the bike over protecting the bike. In a heavy crash, I would rather the bike take damage than me.

Note sure if you have read my opening post fully. Its a friends complaint to BMW Motorrad that I posted here. In the subsequent posts I have put my perspective.

Adding to your point on premium bike ownership in India, in general parts stocking/ordering delays for BMW and few other Italian bikes is an issue in most parts of the world with exception of Europe and USA. Since I bought my first BMW bike in late 90s in a country that didnt even have a BMW dealer, so over 2 decades I got used to finding a street smart mechanic, Clymer manuals, Torque wrench (heard of it for the first time back then!) and dealing for parts/consumables with Bobs BMW, A&S Cycles and few others as well as Beemeboneyard for used parts!

Some years back in India on my 1200GS as I mentioned in another post then, when the input shaft seal went faulty, although its a $30 part, the bike had to be split into 2 separate halfs, therefore Navneet Motors quoted 40K and 45-60 days time as they had to order the part and some special tool etc. Anyway, I ordered the part online and a good mechanic in Jayanagar did the work in less than a week for one-fifth of Navneet's quote.

Anyway in India its not only bikes, but even consumer electronics etc, everybody is only bothered to sell-sell-sell, whereas when it comes to after sales service, its a hit or miss depending on your luck and although we would all like the best care for our prized possessions from the authorized dealer, keeping an alternate source and tons of patience is the best way forward.

In the meanwhile on another important but unrelated development, this was just found on an international BMW forum
Attached Thumbnails
BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs-gtl6.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 21st September 2019 at 22:07.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 16:21   #14
BHPian

FA630HH brake pads from EBC cost about 4000 per calliper in India, and about 33 Pounds in the Uk.
A lot of bad information comes out here.
Firstly, your friend should join this forum, and voice his opinion rather then us having to go thru you for the same, it would only be fair. And give him a place to vent as well.
The dealer should NOT have asked for the advance, and having seen Harleys in worse condition getting fixed ahead of any $$ being seen, I think your subsequent thought, that he/she/it is headed for bankruptcy is probably true.
Sorry, we cannot help your friend.
BUT here is what your friend should do. Reach out to older/elder riders who have better relationships with the dealers, in your city as well as in other towns and try and get a feedback on the same.
If this fails, send me a PM.
Old 22nd September 2019, 18:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
FA630HH brake pads from EBC cost about 4000 per calliper in India, and about 33 Pounds in the Uk.
Can't make out what do you want to say, isnt 33 GBP + Duties / GST same like INR 4000?

Quote:
The dealer should NOT have asked for the advance, and having seen Harleys in worse condition getting fixed ahead of any $$ being seen
Must be due to your relations with the dealership. I had to get my fuel pump replaced for which the Harley dealer asked 50 % advance and took around 2 months. I escalated to Harley via social media but they simply confirmed the timelines offered by the dealer.

If I am not mistaken, owner of this GTL also owns a GSA and is a regular rider, just by chance that this happened when he was travelling away from Delhi and RSA always bring the bike/ car to the nearest Dealership. It's not uncommon to ask advance across any brand where estimates are so high and making an advance payment of this amount to a BMW dealership should not have been a concern in normal circumstances. The fault lies with BMW in my opinion, if they had problems with the dealership, they should have warned the customers. But I am sure they will have securities/ or checks to get this sorted. This matter is highlighted to the top management of Mottorad already and I expect this will get settled very soon.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd September 2019 at 19:08.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks