Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2019, 20:06   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Firstly, your friend should join this forum, and voice his opinion rather then us having to go thru you for the same, it would only be fair. And give him a place to vent as well.
The dealer should NOT have asked for the advance, and having seen Harleys in worse condition getting fixed ahead of any $$ being seen, I think your subsequent thought, that he/she/it is headed for bankruptcy is probably true.
Sorry, we cannot help your friend.
BUT here is what your friend should do. Reach out to older/elder riders who have better relationships with the dealers, in your city as well as in other towns and try and get a feedback on the same.
If this fails, send me a PM.
Like Turbanotor said, my friend is a very passionate biker, just that he was not on Team-bhp. So as biker brotherhood I offered to post it here so that our biking community at large is made aware of such a problem and if BMW India sees it here and decides to act, good for him and BMW. After all proud of the fact that the people that manage Team-bhp do a brilliant job so everybody alike knows this is a no-non-sense platform, therefore, people take things posted here seriously. Besides, not sure how the present rules of joining the forum are, but I guess its unlikely that my friend can just get on the keyboard register and right away post his grievances! Nevertheless, I asked him to join anyway.

Coming back to the core issue- Sharing some Positive updates I recd from my friend last night:

The BMW Motorrad India Top management including head of India operations have personally contacted him, and have made arrangements to urgently air lift the parts from Germany and deliver within 15 days and also promised to complete the work on high priority thereafter. He is very thankful to T-bhp and says it is also probably this post in T-bhp (which he also shared on the BMW FB page) that got the whole team to act swiftly.
Anyways, I am hoping this comes to its logical conclusion and shall update if any pertinent developments are there.

Last edited by Haroon : 22nd September 2019 at 20:21.
Haroon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 21:20   #17
BHPian

Update as on 17 October 2019

From the latest updates, it looks BMW India have also embraced our laid back desi approach and have gone cold on this subject! Probably when this complaint got highlighted here & on social media, they did a quick temporary damage control and left it there.

As reported here, back on 17 September the head of BMW Motorrad India operations had personally assured the owner that the bike will be fixed and ready within max 20 days as parts are being air-lifted on priority basis (since the bike has already been in the workshop untouched for more than 4 months since 7 May and the workshop had already collected an advance of Rs 8 lakhs). Given how things work in such situations, the owner told me even if it takes 30 days instead of the promised 20 days for delivery he was more than ok with it after having waited for so long.

Apparently, post that assurance in mid September, absolutely nothing on the ground has moved at all. The bike remains as is, while written email follow-ups to the dealer and BMW have remained unanswered. Phone calls have been met with a standard reply that parts are on their way but no other information or updates on any potential timeline for the work.

I keep wondering for premium brands like BMW that sell a few 100s of bikes per year in India and a tiny number of their flagship 1600GTL bikes, is it all about product launches, promo events, competitions and Sales targets only. Isn't post sales revenue, customer service & customer goodwill part of their business model or am I missing something here...or probably BMW bikes like some of the other premium superbikes are being BOUGHT and not SOLD so this 'we-are-out-for-lunch' kind of attitude from them??

Anyway for customers parting with 30+ lakhs on a dream bike and then being treated so shabbily, this is not something pleasant to deal with. In fact the case in question here is very straight forward- The customer had an accident, the insurance company agreed and paid an advance and the dealer has to fix the bike...unlike other complicated cases of warranty or out of warranty repair claims etc where the customer, dealer & BMW could have conflicting views and that drags on.

Anyway, the owner who has been patient for so long is now working on escalating this a step further up including legal option.

Last edited by Haroon : 17th October 2019 at 21:47.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 21:42   #18
BHPian

Re: BMW K1600GTL awaiting accident repairs since 4 months; repair estimate of 19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
While those of us who own BMW motorbikes love them for their build quality, functionality and general long term durability, the ownership comes at a premium to buy (and maintain).
One can fear the K1600 without owning one as well. I have known of a K1600 that had frame damage after going over a large bump at twice the regular speeds in a shopping mall. Yes, nothing justifies the dealer and insurance company let a machine rot for months. Hope your friend is able to resolve this and get back on the saddle soon.

This is not specific to K1600, my friend's GoldWing also broke the frame after going over a large pothole. In my opinion, these bikes are simply designed to be big, than endure any stress.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 17th October 2019 at 21:45.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 09:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why isn't this a write off?
Unfortunate conditions we operate in, in our country, where almost anything & everything is repairable even when there's significant structural damage. No one thinks how safety gets compromised post repairs.
If it were the US, UK or a place with well drafted motor laws, it'll be a write off instantly.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed