Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Torque
Ducati Supersport : ~93NM
Triumph Street Triple S : 73NM
Triumph Street Triple RS : 77NM

Both bikes will have a different character - STriple has a better top end while Ducati has a higher and much better lower end torque. Ultimately depends on what you like in a bike.
Yes, the big difference is the additional 17 kgs on the Supersport.

Quote:
Besides the Triumph Service Scene is legendary as demonstrated in a few threads by owners in the forum.
Do check this post (Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?) for the updated situation at the Bangalore Triumph dealership. Things seem to have turned around completely, and I hope that Triumph can sustain this initial momentum.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 11:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know what are your confusions regarding a Ducati - its a beautiful bike ! Plus the dealer in Chennai also is VST - and they have a stellar reputation for after sales which i can personally attest to. If you like the bike - go ahead and buy it. Dont listen to naysayers - as i said in the other thread - only non-Ducati owners seem to have issues with a Ducati
The supersports is one of the most beautiful sports tourer available and i love the Silk white compared to the red. Incidentally, there is one in both colours available. Only issues i see in the bikes are the rough gear shifts and the relatively rough L-twin compared to an inline 3 or 4. But the bike is very relaxed and has a nice big second and third gear making it possible to ride in chennai traffic also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
There was one bike up for sale in Coimbatore a few weeks ago, it is no longer listed now though.
I was seeing the ad for almost a month before I decided to call. The day I called the bike got sold and it was sold for a bargain price.

Quote:
While power to weight is not the only criteria, given what you have listed is important to you, I think the numbers below speak for itself. Those additional 17 kgs will make a big difference in the real world.
Im not keen on the numbers. For the additional weight and the lesser BHP the Ducati sure compensates with the awesome torque at the 2000-5000 rpm band, The Striple will for sure bring the hooligan in me taking me back to the RD350 and the pulsar days. Both are beautiful bikes, though offer different characters to the rider, they somehow tick and match my requirements. Heart says buy both. Wife says get out. So, lets see which bike picks me.

Quote:
There is / was one CBR650R for sale in Bangalore.
Will check. There are few 650F's i saw.
varunanb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 12:58   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Im not keen on the numbers. For the additional weight and the lesser BHP the Ducati sure compensates with the awesome torque at the 2000-5000 rpm band, The Striple will for sure bring the hooligan in me taking me back to the RD350 and the pulsar days. Both are beautiful bikes, though offer different characters to the rider, they somehow tick and match my requirements. Heart says buy both. Wife says get out. So, lets see which bike picks me.
The only reason for suggesting the Street Triple was the "sleek and flickable" aspect that you mentioned. Most Triumph Street Triple owners in India have bought the bike over the less expensive Z800 / Z900 due to nimbleness and ease of flickability in corners. Those 17 kg will make a difference in the real world when you are corner carving.

In the end though, I will go back to what I said in my earlier post - Pick the one that pulls your heart strings the strongest! Happy hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
I was seeing the ad for almost a month before I decided to call. The day I called the bike got sold and it was sold for a bargain price.
Man, that bike ad had steal deal written all over it!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 08:51   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Where as Ninja 650 will give you a higher top speed the main difference you will feel is with much lesser vibration, but then again the acceleration is linear and as posted above if you are looking for more fun get a used S triple you will be much more happier. One year into Ninja 650 I am already contemplating moving to Panigale.

Oh, so thats why the Ninja is on sale in the classifieds.
Must say you outgrew it rather quickly.
You're the second owner, and it is listed with 10,600 KM.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:15   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Oh, so thats why the Ninja is on sale in the classifieds.
Must say you outgrew it rather quickly.
You're the second owner, and it is listed with 10,600 KM.
Yes, plus a tyre upgrade is round the corner. I don't want to spend 25k and not use it, have hardly been riding because of a 10 yr old at home and mom dad being over 65. Will wait till end of the year to pick an upgrade if I do end up doing the tyre upgrade I will then probably hold on to it till end of next year.

Last edited by AtheK : 1st August 2020 at 20:17.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 11:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 first ride review

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-smartselect_20200813111935_chrome.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-re...st-ride-418242
Old 5th October 2020, 18:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, need some inputs on buying a pre-owned Black 2017 650 done around 12k.

What is a right price to quote for such bike ? I'm thinking around 60% of then OTR which comes to around 4l plus around 50% for whatever accessories the bike has. So assuming the bike costed 7l in 2017 and owner invested around 60k for accessories, it comes to roughly around 4.3-4.5 this is if the bike is in top notch condition and first owner. Is this ok or should I increase/decrease ?

How bad is the GC issue ? I will ride solo most times but may do two-up riding say once a or twice a year for distances of 500-600kms. Will the exhaust hit every speed breaker and leave me with an expensive bill ? Is it possible to replace the exhaust with a after-market one to avoid scraping. How much would that cost ?

What service bills can I expect yearly considering the bike is 3 years old ? I understand tyres and chain sprocket would need replacement every 10-12k and tyres would come upto 25k but not sure about the chain sprocket costs.

What other factors should I take into account before buying a pre-owned 650 ?
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 10:13   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Hi guys, need some inputs on buying a pre-owned Black 2017 650 done around 12k.

What is a right price to quote for such bike ? I'm thinking around 60% of then OTR which comes to around 4l plus around 50% for whatever accessories the bike has. So assuming the bike costed 7l in 2017 and owner invested around 60k for accessories, it comes to roughly around 4.3-4.5 this is if the bike is in top notch condition and first owner. Is this ok or should I increase/decrease ?

How bad is the GC issue ? I will ride solo most times but may do two-up riding say once a or twice a year for distances of 500-600kms. Will the exhaust hit every speed breaker and leave me with an expensive bill ? Is it possible to replace the exhaust with a after-market one to avoid scraping. How much would that cost ?

What service bills can I expect yearly considering the bike is 3 years old ? I understand tyres and chain sprocket would need replacement every 10-12k and tyres would come upto 25k but not sure about the chain sprocket costs.

What other factors should I take into account before buying a pre-owned 650 ?
shashank.nk, one thing to keep in mind is that our traditional depreciation calculators dont always work when it comes to buying preowned big bikes in India. It is what it is. Some brands have a higher resale value and some brands dont.

A fair price should be around Rs 4 - 4.25L for a Ninja 650 that is a few years old. Take into consideration the costs that you will incur once you buy the bike. Does it need insurance to be renewed soon? What about tires?

The Kawasaki Z / Ninaja 650 do scrape some speedbreakers, but it should not be a major problem given your usage. Dont think of after market exhausts now, Bangalore cops have intensified their checking and it is very likely that they will confiscate your exhaust (at best) and destroy it (at worst). Dont waste your hard earned money now on that.

The right set of tires will last you around 15 - 20K kms. Overall the 650s are very reliable and will keep you happy for a long time.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 18:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A fair price should be around Rs 4 - 4.25L for a Ninja 650 that is a few years old. Take into consideration the costs that you will incur once you buy the bike. Does it need insurance to be renewed soon? What about tires?
I went and saw the bike today, it was briefly off the market but later the owner called me up and said I could come down to see the bike.

However, I first went to Kawasaki to see how the BS6 variant rides and what's new with the 2020 bike and rode the Versys(just for kicks) and with my height of 5'7" I was tip-toeing and struggled with the weight though the bike rode beautifully. Next tried the Ninja, I felt right at home, it wasn't a committed riding position either just a wee-bit sporty compared to my existing bike, the torque was awesome I was carelessly riding around in 3rd gear doing 30-35km/h in CBD. No problem in traffic either, being able to flat-foot gave me confidence and at no pint did I feel the weight was unmanageable though it was a short ride to truly judge the weight. TFT screen will be the only thing I'll miss if I buy pre-owned.

Next rode the bike I'm currently considering, it had a lot less vibrations and brakes were much sharper. I also felt the low-end response was slightly better in the 2017 bike.

Following were replaced recently:
Pirelli Angel GT tyres-1000kms old
New brake pads-1000 kms old
Insurance renewed until Aug 2021
BMC air filter installed in the last service.

Accessories-Radiator Guard, Grab rails, Night Hawk LED lights, Mobile holder with charger, R&G frame sliders, after-market windscreen

I may have to get servicing done since the bike was last serviced in Sep 2019 and has done around 3000kms since then, can't think of much else as owner will get the hypothecation removed. As for accessories, I plan to add a side stand extender for now and nothing else may be will upgrade the LED bulbs in due course. The final price is 4.5, not a rupee less. I'm inclined to seal the deal since the bike is in good condition and comes with most accessories I may need. Your thoughts please

This is the condition of the chain, the whitish appearance is puzzling though. Owner says he used Diesel to clean it:
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-whatsapp-image-20201025-8.05.21-pm.jpeg

Last edited by shashank.nk : 27th October 2020 at 18:23. Reason: Missed chain pic
shashank.nk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:10   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I may have to get servicing done since the bike was last serviced in Sep 2019 and has done around 3000kms since then, can't think of much else as owner will get the hypothecation removed. As for accessories, I plan to add a side stand extender for now and nothing else may be will upgrade the LED bulbs in due course. The final price is 4.5, not a rupee less. I'm inclined to seal the deal since the bike is in good condition and comes with most accessories I may need. Your thoughts please
You have done a really good job of going through the purchase process in a methodical manner, so you know what you are missing by going for a BS4 version. With the pending service considered, your all in price would come to around Rs 4.57L which make me feels like it is a bit overpriced, even if you throw in the cost of new tires. If you are comfortable with paying the slight premium and the bike is well maintained, it does make sense to go ahead and close the deal.
Old 29th October 2020, 00:10   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick check on olx shows very reasonable prices for the used N650. The 2013 models seem to go for as low as 2.5L!! Thats some serious VFM for this bike. As usual Honda owners seem to believe that they are doing a favor by selling their 650s.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:47   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A quick check on olx shows very reasonable prices for the used N650. The 2013 models seem to go for as low as 2.5L!! Thats some serious VFM for this bike. As usual Honda owners seem to believe that they are doing a favor by selling their 650s.
Though they share engine capacities, the Kawasaki is a twin cylinder motorcycle and the Honda is a four cylinder one. Then you throw in the rest of the differences and the price gap for preowned options seems to be fair. Prices of the Honda CBR650s are pretty reasonable these days. They are going for around Rs 5L.

The old Ninja 650 (2013 vintage) is a very lot of motorcycle at below Rs 3L but the lack of ABS is a downer and deal breaker for most buyers.
Old 29th October 2020, 17:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:
This is the condition of the chain, the whitish appearance is puzzling though. Owner says he used Diesel to clean it:
Attachment 2072675
First off, great approach to buying a pre-used vehicle. Looks like you have a great deal at hand. Only thing I can recommend is get it checked at Kawasaki and if everything checks out, go for it even if its at a slight premium.

I think the chain and sprocket looks well maintained and that whitish appearance is nothing but Wurth (I guess) dry lube that Kawasaki SVC uses atleast in Mumbai. (Maybe the owner wasn't aware about it)

I used the dry lube recently on my CBR250 so far and the experience has been good. It avoids a lot of the sticky greasy mess that come with the other traditional chain lubes

Reference pic below from MCN website

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Quote:

The old Ninja 650 (2013 vintage) is a very lot of motorcycle at below Rs 3L but the lack of ABS is a downer and deal breaker for most buyers.
Amazing VFM bike pre 2017 Ninja 650 is. As aptly put by Neil, it is indeed a lot of bike for the price one pays. If only it had ABS, I would have grabbed it with both hands when last of these BS3 Ninja 650s were being sold at 4.5 - 5 lakhs brand new back in 2017. But couldn't get over the lack of ABS on such a powerful motorcycle (relatively) around the time when our regulations were mandating ABS on 150cc motorcycles.

But at approximately 2.5-3 lakhs, this is still a better option IMO than say a pre-2017 Yamaha R3 or Ninja 300 even which goes around the same ticket price (maybe just slightly more) in most cities, and do not have ABS.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 unveiled. Edit: Launched at 6.24 lakh-chainlube2.jpg  

camitesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 23:30   #89
BHPian

Quote:
The final price is 4.5, not a rupee less. I'm inclined to seal the deal since the bike is in good condition and comes with most accessories I may need. Your thoughts please
Just to give you some price perspective. I am from Delhi NCR and have owned the 2017 Ninja 650 Black for 2 years. Here are the numbers:

Got the bike in July 2017 for around 6.2 lacs on-road in Delhi. Added frame sliders for around 10k (6.3 lacs in total). Used the bike for around 11,500 kms and sold it to a dealer in Delhi in October 2019. The insurance was renewed in July 2019 so that was pretty much active. Tyres were almost at the edge of giving up. I got 4 lacs from the dealer which I think is fair. The dealer posted it on his FB page for 4.35 lacs, which means he would have made around 20k in the deal (assuming some negotiation). Since the bike that you are eyeing is KA registered (my assumption), where road tax is fairly high, the tyres have been replaced, and it has some additional accessories as well, 4.5 lacs sounds like a fair deal (this bike is 3 years old), if not good. Hope this helps.
And yes, the chain should be good for 18-20k kms and should cost around INR 15-18k for replacement. Kawasaki service centre might charge a bit higher.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 31st October 2020 at 23:32.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:09   #90
BHPian

Hi All, i have recently acquired a 2018 Ninja 650, which has done around 13k kilometre. Since this is my first big bike and a Kawasaki, I have a few queries, and it would be great if existing Kawasaki 650 owners could answer them.

1. What is the good engine oil for the 650. For now I have put Motul 300V full ester oil. Couldn't feel much difference from Motul 7100 though.

2. Sometimes I hear a diminished "phutt" sound from engine. It is almost like spark plug giving a miss, but is very low. I have noticed it mostly during idle. It is not very regular though. Can this be because of low quality fuel ? Please recommend if I should be checking anything else.

3. Once I turn the key to off position, I hear a series of strange noises for a second or so. Is this normal or my battery is weak ?

4. My bike temperature hovers around 4to 5 bars mostly. During city speeds, it's mostly the 5th bar until the fan turns on. Again, is this normal behaviour of a 650, or should I do a coolant flush ?

5. What is typically life of brake pads for a Ninja. From my experience, I think they are good for another 3-4k kilometres.

6. For people based around NCR, is normal fuel good enough or should I feed her premium petrol, or maybe use octane boosters ?

The nearest Kawasaki SVC is 100 kms from my place. Therefore, I intend to do basic maintenance myself. It would be great if forum members can point out any other things I should be looking out for considering the mileage my bike has done.

Most Viewed