Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 18:28   #1
BHPian

Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S

Basically a naked version of their Panigale V4 and looks absolutely stunning. They haven't said anything about it being launched in India yet.

Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S-2020ducatistreetfighterv41.jpg

Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S-2020ducatistreetfighterv4s1.jpg

Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S-2020ducatistreetfighterv4firstlook5.jpg

RodRowdyBiker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 20:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S

Absolutely insane bike. 208 ps / 178kg weight. Makes you want to loot the nearest bank to get the cash to buy it as soon as it lands.

PS: Cant wait to see this motor in a Multistrada chassis next year
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 13:20   #3
BHPian

Will be one mad machine with that power to weight ratio. Will be interesting to see how this fares in road-tests vs the supercharged Kawasaki ZH2.
Old 25th October 2019, 15:03   #4
BHPian

The video was interesting. The project manager mentions that the winglets provide a down-force of 30 kg at 270 kph.

I wonder if Ducati would provide a (very expensive) wind-screen to ensure that the rider doesn't get blown off the bike at 270 kph.

Hope Ducati, Pune gets a test-ride bike.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Absolutely insane bike. 208 ps / 178kg weight. Makes you want to loot the nearest bank to get the cash to buy it as soon as it lands.

PS: Cant wait to see this motor in a Multistrada chassis next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Will be one mad machine with that power to weight ratio. Will be interesting to see how this fares in road-tests vs the supercharged Kawasaki ZH2.
Quite true. Just imagine 50Kg weight difference with the ZH2.

Yes, ZH2 having supercharger does matter, but weight, seriously how these Italians reduce weight and how these Japanese pump it more ?

BTW from side profile, it reminds me of Z1000.

Last edited by Vasuki : 25th October 2019 at 15:41.
Old 26th October 2019, 07:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Quite true. Just imagine 50Kg weight difference with the ZH2.
It does seem like a much more of a hyper-bike compared to the ZH2 and it is not priced that much higher as well.The engine is basically in the same tune as the Panigale V4. A naked motorcycle revving to 13k RPM and making 200+ HP is just so absurd and desirable at the same time.
Old 26th October 2019, 10:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

ZH2 is a naked version of a tourer, whereas this is a naked version of a proper superbike.

Should both be different in character, but for a naked bike - I'd prefer this one. Power delivery on the Z may still be more brutal thanks to the mid-range from the supercharger, but no point lugging around all that extra weight on a street naked.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 10:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
ZH2 is a naked version of a tourer, whereas this is a naked version of a proper superbike.

Should both be different in character, but for a naked bike - I'd prefer this one. Power delivery on the Z may still be more brutal thanks to the mid-range from the supercharger, but no point lugging around all that extra weight on a street naked.
I thought ZH2 is the naked version of superbike H2 and not H2 SX+. Websites like Rushlane suggest so.

After more digging, yes it seems indeed based on H2SX+ as same power 197hp, while H2 is in two states of tune 228hp and 300+hp.

Last edited by Vasuki : 26th October 2019 at 10:41.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:10   #9
BHPian

Ducti really has artists working for them. They knock it out of the park with every single design!
Old 28th October 2019, 16:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I seem to be in the minority but I dont really find the Streetfighter V4 to be good looking. In fact, I havent found most of the recent crop of Ducatis to be good looking either and their design language has been a little iffy over the years. The Panigale V twins were the last of the good looking Ducatis to me.

Before the loyalists come out with their pitchforks, yes, I will admit, Ducati has made some amazingly iconic motorcycles like the 916, 848, Desmosedici RR, 959 (I almost bought one, a story for another day), Monster etc. These are motorcycle designs that have adorned the bedroom walls of young kids for years and even today would find a place in such collections.

At the same time, Ducati has come out with some questionable designs like the industrial 749 (a bike with a design 50 years ahead of its time), terribly mis-proportioned Multistrada (the original one, Ive ridden it briefly), rather oriental rooted Panigale V4 (admit it, if you saw a Chinese logo on it instead of the Italian once, you wouldn't be surprised) and more.

But styling is subjective. I actually prefer the looks of the new Kawasaki to this Streetfighter. That said, the performance numbers seem astonishing on the Streetfighter V4 and the motorcycling world needs more insane machines like this and the Kawasaki to push the envelope even further. With that power to weight ratio, I probably wouldnt have the courage to test ride the Streetfighter V4, even if it was offered with an open road in front of me.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 17:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I seem to be in the minority but I dont really find the Streetfighter V4 to be good looking. In fact, I havent found most of the recent crop of Ducatis to be good looking either and their design language has been a little iffy over the years. The Panigale V twins were the last of the good looking Ducatis to me.

Before the loyalists come out with their pitchforks, yes, I will admit, Ducati has made some amazingly iconic motorcycles like the 916, 848, Desmosedici RR, 959 (I almost bought one, a story for another day), Monster etc. These are motorcycle designs that have adorned the bedroom walls of young kids for years and even today would find a place in such collections.

At the same time, Ducati has come out with some questionable designs like the industrial 749 (a bike with a design 50 years ahead of its time), terribly mis-proportioned Multistrada (the original one, Ive ridden it briefly), rather oriental rooted Panigale V4 (admit it, if you saw a Chinese logo on it instead of the Italian once, you wouldn't be surprised) and more.
I have to agree with you Neil, I find the bike very odd looking, especially the side profile which somehow doesn't exhibit a cohesive design that Ducatis usually should! Effort wise, I feel this looks like a Ducati's version of Kawasaki's Z1000.

Forget the 916, 918, 848, the previous-gen Streetfighter was a much better looking bike with a purposeful, muscular, meaty stance that could just kill anyone with the looks. Most importantly, it had originality in its design.

Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S-ducatistreetfighters1.jpg

Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S-11ea67065b3a64e6e938aa651f2e6085.jpg

While I have no doubts on the V4's performance, I'm definitely not sold on its looks and being a Ducati, that is a problem!

Last edited by Porschefire : 28th October 2019 at 17:24. Reason: Paragraph Spacing
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 17:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Haha you are in a minority indeed.

Just look at this beauty. Looks so raw and purposeful.

And i wont even get started on Panigale V4 ..... best looking sportsbike by far - its got the absolute perfect lines.

PS: Kawasaki ZH2 is absolutely garbage looking. They had one of the best looking nakeds in Z1000 - and they could come up with the bulbous disproportionate ZH2 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati announces their new naked Streetfighter V4 and V4S-streetfighterv4redy2004gallery1920x1080_720x540.jpg  

Last edited by ethanhunt123 : 28th October 2019 at 17:28.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 17:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I have to agree with you Neil, I find the bike very odd looking, especially the side profile which somehow doesn't exhibit a cohesive design that Ducatis usually should! Effort wise, I feel this looks like a Ducati's version of Kawasaki's Z1000.

Forget the 916, 918, 848, the previous-gen Streetfighter was a much better looking bike with a purposeful, muscular, meaty stance that could just kill anyone with the looks. Most importantly, it had originality in its design.

Attachment 1927600

Attachment 1927599

While I have no doubts on its performance, I'm definitely not sold on its looks and being a Ducati, that is a problem!
I am glad that I am not the only one who thought this way! I will say this, when I first got a whatsapp forward of the new Streetfighter V4, I actually thought to myself that it seemed rather strange that Kawasaki would launch their new generation Z1000 in a red colour instead of their customary green / grey / mettalic dark colours. It was only later that I got to know that it was actually the new Ducati with Sugomi design styling.

The real nail in the coffin is that the original Streetfighter makes this one look insipid in comparison. For context, when the older Streetfighter was launched, the styling was universally loved and it looked like nothing else out there. It was outrageous and a slap in the face of its competition. It righted some of the design wrongs from Ducati's past for sure.

The new Streetfighter V4 though, as you have rightly pointed out, lacks originality in design and could blend into a sea of Japanese naked bikes on a Sunday morning ride without hesitation. A Ducati without desirable styling might be par for course considering their design history but in 2019, output figures on a paper may not be good enough to see it succeed.
Old 29th October 2019, 20:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

Attachment 1927600

Attachment 1927599

While I have no doubts on the V4's performance, I'm definitely not sold on its looks and being a Ducati, that is a problem!

With so much praise on the original streetfighter, you have missed a simple fact - However original you claim the OG Streetfighter to be, it is exactly a 1198 without the fairing, the tank, side profile, tail etc are all 1198. The only unique bit is the headlight. This clearly points out the place of the SF in the ducati lineup - it has always been the purely naked version of their ultimate sbk. If you want ducati's powerful naked - that would be the Monster 1200. If you want ducati's power cruiser - that would be the Diavel. Both the monster & diavel are unique designs without inspiration from others. But the SF should obviously be expected to be a Panigale V4 without fairing. So the new SF is as it is supposed to be.

Looks are definitely subjective but performance figures arent. The more, the better & I think Ducati have made a mental package with the new SF. As for a unique design, maybe let's wait for a whole new Ducati model
Veelubai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 00:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
With so much praise on the original streetfighter, you have missed a simple fact - However original you claim the OG Streetfighter to be, it is exactly a 1198 without the fairing, the tank, side profile, tail etc are all 1198. The only unique bit is the headlight. This clearly points out the place of the SF in the ducati lineup - it has always been the purely naked version of their ultimate sbk. If you want ducati's powerful naked - that would be the Monster 1200. If you want ducati's power cruiser - that would be the Diavel. Both the monster & diavel are unique designs without inspiration from others. But the SF should obviously be expected to be a Panigale V4 without fairing. So the new SF is as it is supposed to be.

Looks are definitely subjective but performance figures arent. The more, the better & I think Ducati have made a mental package with the new SF. As for a unique design, maybe let's wait for a whole new Ducati model
Veelubai, you are right on target when you say that the Streetfighter is basically their top of the line superbike minus the fairing. It is a formula that worked in the past and in theory, it is a formula that should work today also for Ducati. But, if we rewind the clock by 10 years to the launch of the OG Streetfighter, its competition that included the Aprilia Tuono and MV Augusta Brutale looked quite different and unique with their own design languages. The Ducati styling was nothing like them and it shocked the established system, to say the least.

So I am unable to comprehend why Ducati deviated from the proven script this time and tried to make the Streetfighter look like a Kawasaki with that very Oriental headlight design. I also dont understand why delay a new / evolutionary / revolutionary design for a new model. Doesnt this Streetfighter deserve every chance at beating it's competition?

As a fan of some of their motorcycles, what I do find concerning is Ducati's lack of recent success in the global markets. This article does point to some worrying facts about Ducati's sales performance in 2019.

Quote:
The first half 2019 Global Ducati sales has not been as expected, reporting a marginal lost of 0.6% with 30.384 registrations.

Indeed, in recent years sales has been flat, following the fast growth in the 2015 (first year over 50.000 units in a calendar years) and the 2016 (with the actual all time record sales at 54.257 sales) and after the not positive trend in the 2017 and 2018, the current year is projected to be again moderately negative, while all others premium brands – excluding Harley Davidson – have in place multi-year record row.
The link to the article is here.

In light of this, to me, it would have made all the sense in the world for Ducati to give the Streetfighter the show to match the go. As things stand, the motorcycle will apparently only reach Indian shores in 2021. These certainly will be interesting times for us enthusiasts.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed