Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 15:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT

Suzuki has unveiled two new V-Strom models today, with a new V-Strom 1050XT and V-Strom 1050 announced at Eicma in Milan, Italy.

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_209worked1.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_94worked1.jpg
  • Design heavily influenced by Suzuki’s iconic DR-Z desert racer and DR Big, with a new vertically stacked rectangular LED headlight and distinctive ‘beak’.
  • New Euro5 version of the flexible and characterful 90° V-Twin engine producing 107.4PS (79kW), a 7% increase over the previous generation.
  • New ride-by-wire throttle with three selectable engine modes and a three-mode traction control system.
  • The flagship V-Strom 1050XT gets new Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (SIRS) which features a full suite of electronics including an inertial measurement unit (IMU), lean-angle sensitive ABS with two settings, linked brakes that can detect and adapt to load and inclines, plus hill hold control and cruise control.

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rcm0_b1f_right.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rcm0_under_cover1.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_64worked1.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_145worked1.jpg

Electronics
  • Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (SIRS)
  • Rride-by-wire throttle
  • Controller Area Network (CAN)
  • New six-direction inertial measurement unit (IMU) from Bosch.
  • Suzuki’s updated Motion Track Brake System, which includes lean-angle sensitive ABS. Two ABS modes, depending on the surface and riding conditions.
  • Hill hold control
  • Cruise control.
  • Tthree-mode traction control system
  • Suzuki’s low RPM assist and easy-start function.

Styling
  • Modern take on the styling of the legendary DR-Z race bike and DR Big production machine. T
  • LED headlight plus LED taillight and LED indicators.

Engine and performance
  • Euro 5-compliant 1037cc, 90° V-Twin engine in the V-Strom 1050XT
  • Ppeak power up by 7% to 107PS
  • Reprofiled intake and exhaust cams, with increased lift duration and less overlap.
  • Slipper clutch

Chassis
  • Twin-spar aluminium frame mated to an aluminium swingarm
  • 43mm fully-adjustable, upside-down forks from KYB. The rear shock is preload and rebound damping-adjustable.
  • Front brakes are radially-mounted Tokicos, biting twin 310mm discs
  • Wheels are lightweight DID aluminium, wire-spoked rims, with a 19” front and 17” rear for dependable performance on a variety of surfaces and in different riding conditions.
  • Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A41 radial tyres.

V-Strom 1050

The V-Strom 1050 shares many of the features of the flagship V-Strom 1050XT but with some differences to enable a lower price. The V-Strom 1050 shares the same engine and chassis platform as the XT model but replaces spoked wheels with cast aluminium items. Whilst keeping the same three-mode traction control system and three selectable engine power modes, the V-Strom 1050 loses the Suzuki Intelligent Ride System and its cruise control and Motion Track Brake System with linked brakes, hill hold, slope and load control and switchable ABS modes.

The DR-Z-inspired design is finished in either white and black or grey and black colour schemes, the LED taillights are finished with red lenses instead of the clear finish of the XT, and the LED indicators are swapped for more traditional items. The mirrors are changed, also.

It also loses the standard-fit engine bars, centre stand, handguards, and lower cowling of the XT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th November 2019 at 15:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 17:46   #2
BHPian

Re: 2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT

The looks will probably have a divided opinion on this one. For me, it is a neutral view.
The headlight shape looks similar to the new Katana.

I would say you need a better looking bike to take the competition to the likes of Multistrada 950 and others.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 10:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
The looks will probably have a divided opinion on this one. For me, it is a neutral view.
The headlight shape looks similar to the new Katana.

I would say you need a better looking bike to take the competition to the likes of Multistrada 950 and others.
I agree. The looks are nothing special and that red paint scheme doesnt do much for me. Maybe the bike is good to ride and the off-road credentials are decent. Personally for me, from a reliability point of view, Japanese brands are a better bet than the Europeans anyday.
narula123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Personally for me, from a reliability point of view, Japanese brands are a better bet than the Europeans anyday.
Which is why BMW GS1250 is the weapon of choice for most world travellers :-)
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 12:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Personally for me, from a reliability point of view, Japanese brands are a better bet than the Europeans anyday.
I have a difficult time understanding this sentiment. In general, European Automobiles are better built than their Japanese counter parts. They are no more or less expensive than the Japanese in their respective segments to maintain. Are part replacements more expensive? Maybe, depending on the car or bike.

Now personal preferences like engine type, lack or plethora of electronic aids, looks, budget, value etc can come into play and I can understand someone saying they like one vehicle more than the other. Why this blanket statement though? I ask because I am genuinely interested in understanding this sentiment.
Old 6th November 2019, 13:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I have a difficult time understanding this sentiment. In general, European Automobiles are better built than their Japanese counter parts. They are no more or less expensive than the Japanese in their respective segments to maintain. Are part replacements more expensive? Maybe, depending on the car or bike.

Now personal preferences like engine type, lack or plethora of electronic aids, looks, budget, value etc can come into play and I can understand someone saying they like one vehicle more than the other. Why this blanket statement though? I ask because I am genuinely interested in understanding this sentiment.
Gentlemen,
First and foremost the opinion was expressed in strictly as personal remark and not generic or accusatory as at all. The world enjoys buying, riding and living with European machines and I have absolutely no issues with that. Good luck to them.

Having ridden several European bikes across the years and having owned a few Japanese ones, my opinion or sentiment is built basis my experiences and experiences of friends & family who own these. I never meant that Japanese are the holy grail and the Europeans are made in a back-yard shed. I just meant that I will always prefer putting my money on a Japanese machine vs others when it comes to a buying decision.

Hope this clarifies and settles it.
narula123 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 15:57   #7
BHPian

While the new features on this already wonderful tried & tested super-reliable bike are all nice, I also feel Suzuki should have gone in for some more sharper looks. The headlight design is a real put off. Anyway purely my personal opinions.

Quote:
Gentlemen,
First and foremost the opinion was expressed in strictly as personal remark and not generic or accusatory as at all. The world enjoys buying, riding and living with European machines and I have absolutely no issues with that. Good luck to them.

Having ridden several European bikes across the years and having owned a few Japanese ones, my opinion or sentiment is built basis my experiences and experiences of friends & family who own these. I never meant that Japanese are the holy grail and the Europeans are made in a back-yard shed. I just meant that I will always prefer putting my money on a Japanese machine vs others when it comes to a buying decision.

Hope this clarifies and settles it.

I also agree with your statements. And this coming from someone who has done more than a lakh kms on BMW bikes. And in spite of presently owning a few bikes including a Jap Inline-4, I still love to tour on BMW boxer bikes for their functionality.

Its true the European bikes are made more robust and technologically also most times they introduce stuff on bikes much before the japs do. However, the durability of the mechanicals on European bikes are generally a shade better than the japs (although that gap has also greatly narrowed from the 80s & 90s to present), but a majority of electricals/electronics on the japs are more stable & reliable so less chances of being immobilized on a jap bike due to software or sensor issues rather than mechanical breakdown, which in general can be fixed in some far corners of the world with a good street smart bike mechanic. In fact, BMWs till early 2000 didnt have too many electronics, however, post that they have been putting tons of electronics and sensors and many times these are the things that malfunction and can even immobilize the bike. In certain other cases it gives you a heartache like these examples-

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-bmwtft.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-bmwtft2.jpg

Imagine on your RTW ride in the middle of Mongolia or Sahara, you get such a message on your dashboard as shown!! Sadly, the most painful and ironic thing is that if you eventually find an authorized BMW bike dealer, there is a good chance, all he does is plugs the bike into a computer and resets/upgrades the software and says you are good to go (of course after settling his diagnostic-bill)! No other parts or repairs may be required but you still need to limp the bike and visit him.

Mechanically, there was this notorious EWS malfunction on the early R1200 hexhead bikes. This was a silly antennae on the ignition that malfunctioned and the bike wont start. This not only had to be taken to a BMW authorized center to replace but more importantly it had to be re programmed. Same with 'rain' water getting into the fuel pump and messing that up. Similarly, you can do a search on final drive failures in the early 1200 bikes (this I think was ridiculous especially for BMW which is a company that has made shaft driven bikes from almost its inception and having it fail on new bikes was a joke) and then the collapse of the rear electronically adjustable shock absorber and the more recent front Stanchion breakage disaster.

OFCOURSE, anything with an engine and wheels can give trouble and I dont say the Japs are free of troubles, but if you look at the general troubles on new Jap bikes they are far lesser and not such ride-stopping ones. Little wonder, past few years in bike consumer surveys in US, BMW was fairing at the bottom of the chart while unsurprisingly the Japs dominate the top part. As for service costs also I would guess a 30,000 km dealer service in India on a 1200GS today should set you back about Rs 30-40k. I am not sure if the DL1000/1050 or an Africa Twin 1000/1100 would cost that much to service at 30-40k kms.

All said, still for those that like the torque & character of the BMW boxer twin engine for example, the lower center of gravity and the general feel of that bike, they are willing to put up with some of the vageries of the European bikes knowing well that the japs such as the DL1050 or CRF1100 may perhaps be less work to deal with in the long run.....

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2019 at 00:10. Reason: Inserted images. Thank you.
Haroon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 17:40   #8
BHPian

The bike looks pretty nice but I'm not sure if there will be too many buyers. I think riders would end up buying either the Africa Twin or the Multistrada depending on the kind of riding they wish to do. With the possible launch of the 790 Adventure, this bike will struggle in a crowded space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I was reading the "Long Way Around" book based on that famous TV series last week. Charlie Boorman was absolutely set on the KTM but they declined to sponsor the trip and BMW stepped in. The phenomenal success of the show catapulted the GS to its legendary status which it has never let slip. I'm sure KTM haven't stopped facepalming themselves to date.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki's explanations on why the VStrom 1050 XT is the 'Master of Adventure' -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:59   #10
BANNED

The current V-Strom 650 has that lovely low-slung mass that makes you feel planted on the corners, along with a gem of an engine that feels and sounds so buttery and mellow. There are also those lovely spoke rims that run tubeless tires.

This new 1050XT should hopefully be just a bigger version of the 650 in terms of ride, handling, and power.

The 1050 does look a bit plain, sure. But, it is way better looking than the bike it replaces. The previous generation V-Stroms are most definitely hideous looking bikes. This one remedies the styling mis-steps by big measures I think. Sure, it isn’t drop dead gorgeous. But most people are divided on most ADVs anyways.

The success of this bike here will depend, like all things do in the Indian market, on the pricing.

The current Tiger 900 is about 150 CC smaller with slightly lower power figures than the Suzuki. But Triumph is a more aspirational brand. The Tiger has a thoroughly modern aesthetic; better fit and finish; that lovely Triple roar; a gorgeous TFT; a more accessible seat height (on the GT); and a higher exhaust position. All this for 16.5 lacs on road Mumbai.

There is also the enormously capable Africa Twin with its amazing engine, a DCT and a zillion other features (like that TFT with Apple CarPlay). That machine is around 19 lacs on road Mumbai.

So if Suzuki manage to undercut the Triumph and the Honda by bringing in the 1050XT between 12 and 14 lacs on-road Mumbai, the bike will seriously sell I think. That is of course, if the bike rides as well as the smaller V-Strom does.

Conversely, if they ask like 18 or 19 on-road for the 1050XT, I think most people will be making a beeline for the Triumph showroom.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2020 at 20:29. Reason: As requested
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:28   #11
BANNED

A little birdie at Suzuki told me that they are not planning to bring this bike to India as they cannot get the pricing to work. That left me deeply disappointed. I think that there is a place for this motorcycle provided that they get its positioning right.

To be clear, BMW Motoraad is selling something like five 1250 GSes a month here in Mumbai. And those things cost 30 lacs a piece. So it is not like people aren’t willing to spend. The key is that BMW got their message out correctly. Plus of course, they lucked out with that around the world movie. Bottom line, they have managed to underscore the “legendary” status of their motorcycle inspite of its many reported reliability problems.

So, while a crowded mid-field is certainly a challenge, it isn’t an insurmountable problem for Suzuki. If anything, they can, and should, draw encouragement from the fact that they are all sold out of their V-Strom 650s. In record time too. There isn’t a 650 bike to be had today even if someone is ready with the money. There are also none in the used market, as opposed to the Versys, of which we can find many examples on OLX (I am not saying that the Versys is a bad bike; so please don’t read it that way).

The empty-cupboard predicament is not restricted to the big V. The aforementioned birdie told me that they are flooded with queries about Suzuki big bikes including the Busa; and yet, Suzuki is unwilling to bring in anything other than small vehicles for volume sales. This is quite unfortunate.

Coming back to the 1050 V-Strom, I felt that if they get their message right and if they manage their inventory well, they would be successful. So, here is what I suggested:

1.) Bring 2 or 3 demo bikes that you can beat the hell out of giving test rides. Get the word out and get people to come out and ride your bike. Put in the effort. Take the bikes on road directly to customers across the country. When people ride the bike, they start to believe.

2.) Offer only two variants - XT with all protection (crash guards, bash plate, radiator guard, spoke wheels, center stand); and XT Pro which will have all that XT has + aux lights and aluminium panniers.

3.) Price the XT at 14 lacs on road Mumbai. XT Pro at 15 lacs on road Mumbai.

4.) Bring a small batch of 20 bikes for sale. See how they do.

5.) Offer an extended warranty free if you can. With the reliability of the Suzukis, you should not have too many breakages to fix at your own cost.

6.) Out-of-the-box idea - If you tie up with Akropovich or Yoshimura and offer those exhausts fitted straight out of the factory (and have the bikes be street legal with those exhausts), then you have a winner on your hands. The V-Twin in the Strom is too quiet. But it sounds amazing with an aftermarket. But those are illegal. So if you solve the two problems of better sound while keeping the bike legal, then you have another differentiator.

7.) Totally-impractical-idea - If you can change the dash to a colour TFT, you will close the gap with the competition. I know that this is far fetched. But I just thought that I will throw it out there for you to think about.

My suggestions above are based on the fact that the Tiger 900 GT is 16.5 lacs on road Mumbai and the Rally Pro is 18.5 lacs on road Mumbai. The BMR F900XR is 15.5 lacs on road Mumbai, and the Honda Africa Twin DCT is about 18.5 lacs on road Mumbai (though I am not entirely sure about this).

The Tiger and the BMW have lower CCs and lower power numbers. But they are better equipped and are more aspirational brands. Also their power numbers are only slightly lower than the Suzuki 1050XT. The Honda though is a direct competitor and is a thoroughly powerful bike with that DCT. All 3 bikes mentioned above have great colour TFTs that look and function great.

The Suzuki’s trump cards are...

a.) That gem of an engine. It runs and runs and runs....... and runs; without so much as a whimper. The engine is one of those sleepers. It never hogs attention. But it has your back every time. And it feels amazing when it pulls.

b.) Bulletproof reliability - There literally isn’t one superfluous thing on the smaller V. A place for everything and everything in its place. That’s the mantra. By extension, I am 100% sure that “Spare, Simple and Strong” would be the tag line for the big 1050 XT. A good example would be to note that there are only 3 buttons on the 1050 to control riding modes, TC, ABS, trip meters, and every other parameter on the dash. Compare this to the 20 odd buttons on the AT. More parts and sensors increase the probability of failure of those parts. Suzuki riders feel like they can beat the hell out of the V-Strom and that it will still come out on top. A quick glance at AdvRider is enough to convince anyone.

c.) The bike’s architecture and design - centralised mass and a low CG make the smaller V feel like it’s on rails in the corners. Those lovely tubeless tires on spokes only add confidence. I am sure that the big V will mean more of the same.

All in all, I took up the better part of 30 minutes talking to him. Refreshingly, he seemed happy to listen. After our conversation, the birdie man told me that he would take my feedback up the chain at Suzuki. Let us keep our fingers crossed. That yellow 1050XT sure looks gorgeous.

Would love to hear from this community if my suggestions to Suzuki were on-point, or if I was talking thru my wrong end.

Cheers.

Last edited by mohansrides : 3rd October 2020 at 20:49.
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you asked

The market for adventure bikes between the 10-20 lakh category is extremely crowded with exceptionally good offerings. The strom 1050 is dated in that segment, where people want something a little extra, more bling, more excitement, more nimbleness, or more pedigree. The vstrom nor the versys 1000 offers any of these. The versys 1000 should have sold a lot more, since it was a comfortable ninja 1000 in all respects, but it just can’t compete with the other heavyweights who have bigger followings globally.

Look up comparison reviews online, there’s one very good video from Bennett’s bike social on YouTube. It shows where the strom 1050 is perched.

Honestly, I wouldn’t buy it either.

On the other hand, the strom 650 has practically zero competition in its segment. Just the lone antiquated road biased versys 650 exists. Now you know why it sold like crazy. But if you bring in the Tenere 700, and the 790 adventure at the same price point, do you think the strom 650 would have still sold so much? I don’t think so.

So it’s all a matter of perspective, timing, competition. The vstrom 650 in India had all this in perfect order and it was a lucky strike.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Since you asked
Redliner sums up many aspects well and I wouldn't repeat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
The key is that BMW got their message out correctly. Plus of course, they lucked out with that around the world movie. Bottom line, they have managed to underscore the “legendary” status of their motorcycle inspite of its many reported reliability problems.
I would only add that that's a hugely flawed presumption there. The key to GS being where it is is not because of messaging / getting lucked out or a movie. Those supplement what is fundamentally a phenomenal machine. The 1200/1250 GS is hands down the best bike in the adventure segment. Which is why people buy it. In the mid order, the 900 Rally / Pro will eat the GS 850 for breakfast but in the 1200 segment the GS genuinely rules.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 21:11   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Since you asked ....
You make some valid points. But there are other factors that define success and failure. One of those is inventory management. If Suzuki bring in boatloads of the bike and are stuck with unsold inventory, then they fail. But if they get a handful and sell out of those, they succeed.

But here is the other thing. The V is a very strange machine. One never thinks much of it. Until one rides it. At that point, all preconceived notions get chutneyed. So, while I agree with you about the other bikes being speced better and certainly looking better (maybe), I am willing to wager that the 1050XT will change perspectives once people get a chance to ride it.

And yes, I have seen the Bennett’s video. They crapped all over the Strom. But, if you read the comments section, it is full of people who sound the reviewers out. Many owners have said that the reviewers are disproportionately bashing the Suzuki. Then one of the reviewers himself responded by agreeing with the comments. He said that he rode the 1050 home after the review and felt blown away; but that the bike appears weak when pitched directly against the competition.

So, I feel that it all comes down to pricing and positioning and value. FYI, I TRed the Tiger 900s. The GT felt great; still a bit top-heavy though (but a lot better than its predecessor). The alloys turned me off a little bit as our roads are decidedly crap. The Rally Pro was downright tippy for me.

After the TRs, the V, while not offering intoxicating excitement by comparison, offered something else. A settled happiness. Especially when one is on the road flogging the bike. Especially when one thinks about what one paid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
....1200/1250 GS is hands down the best bike in the adventure segment. Which is why people buy it..
Sorry. I did not communicate that correctly. I was not saying that the big GS is a bad bike. Certainly if I had 30 lacs to spend without a second thought, I would buy the GS too.

My point, as Haroon has pointed out, is that the big GS does indeed have many customers who have suffered through expensive repairs. All of us know GS riders sitting on expensive repairs. It really isn’t as dependable at all as the Suzuki is. Of that there is no doubt at all. AdvRider and YouTibe are full of ex-GSA guys who are waxing eloquently about their newly acquired V-Stroms.

So, yes, in terms of capability, the big GS is KING. But when you factor in reliability and peace of mind, is the big expenditure worth it? Of course, prestige buyers have different criteria. For them it is the GS, and nothing else. Not only do I understand that point of view, I actually agree with it too in some ways.

But we are talking 360 degree evaluation here. Price, quality, reliability, features, maintenance costs, capability and riding pleasure.

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2020 at 04:56. Reason: As requested
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 00:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On the other hand, the strom 650 has practically zero competition in its segment. Just the lone antiquated road biased versys 650 exists. Now you know why it sold like crazy. But if you bring in the Tenere 700, and the 790 adventure at the same price point, do you think the strom 650 would have still sold so much? I don’t think so.

While you may be right in your view point to think that the V-Strom 650 just sold benefitting out of no competition, let me also share another perspective where your perception of additional competition showing the V 650 its place, could be wrong.

The Yamaha Tenere700 has a seat height of 875mm. The KTM 790 adventure seat height is 850mm. The majority of Indians are not 6 footers and surely only 6 footers plus are not considering or buying adventure category motorcycles.

The V-Strom 650 is far more accommodating and reachable 835mm (I'm just under 5"9 and have tried out the bike). I know of 2 more people in my riding group (300cc bikes) who are highly considerate of and would be willing to get the V-Strom 650 (if they get wanting of a higher capacity adv motorcycle). The same folks have simply expressed no interest in these bikes with seat heights of 850mm, 875mm and above.

For some, reliability and practicality of riding score high and the V-Strom 650 sells very well, to that category of buyers. Considering how well they sold, there seem to be many buyers who value this kind of adventure motorcycle.

As an aside, V-Strom 650 also proved it can sell at its price point (of 9.6L Bangalore). Bringing the 790 adventure at that price point, you say? The sales figures of the road Duke 790 is out there to judge how well average Indians took to it.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks