Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 5th November 2019, 15:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default 2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT

Suzuki has unveiled two new V-Strom models today, with a new V-Strom 1050XT and V-Strom 1050 announced at Eicma in Milan, Italy.

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_209worked1.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_94worked1.jpg
  • Design heavily influenced by Suzuki’s iconic DR-Z desert racer and DR Big, with a new vertically stacked rectangular LED headlight and distinctive ‘beak’.
  • New Euro5 version of the flexible and characterful 90° V-Twin engine producing 107.4PS (79kW), a 7% increase over the previous generation.
  • New ride-by-wire throttle with three selectable engine modes and a three-mode traction control system.
  • The flagship V-Strom 1050XT gets new Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (SIRS) which features a full suite of electronics including an inertial measurement unit (IMU), lean-angle sensitive ABS with two settings, linked brakes that can detect and adapt to load and inclines, plus hill hold control and cruise control.

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rcm0_b1f_right.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rcm0_under_cover1.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_64worked1.jpg

2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT-dl1050rq_rcm0_action_145worked1.jpg

Electronics
  • Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (SIRS)
  • Rride-by-wire throttle
  • Controller Area Network (CAN)
  • New six-direction inertial measurement unit (IMU) from Bosch.
  • Suzuki’s updated Motion Track Brake System, which includes lean-angle sensitive ABS. Two ABS modes, depending on the surface and riding conditions.
  • Hill hold control
  • Cruise control.
  • Tthree-mode traction control system
  • Suzuki’s low RPM assist and easy-start function.

Styling
  • Modern take on the styling of the legendary DR-Z race bike and DR Big production machine. T
  • LED headlight plus LED taillight and LED indicators.

Engine and performance
  • Euro 5-compliant 1037cc, 90° V-Twin engine in the V-Strom 1050XT
  • Ppeak power up by 7% to 107PS
  • Reprofiled intake and exhaust cams, with increased lift duration and less overlap.
  • Slipper clutch

Chassis
  • Twin-spar aluminium frame mated to an aluminium swingarm
  • 43mm fully-adjustable, upside-down forks from KYB. The rear shock is preload and rebound damping-adjustable.
  • Front brakes are radially-mounted Tokicos, biting twin 310mm discs
  • Wheels are lightweight DID aluminium, wire-spoked rims, with a 19” front and 17” rear for dependable performance on a variety of surfaces and in different riding conditions.
  • Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A41 radial tyres.

V-Strom 1050

The V-Strom 1050 shares many of the features of the flagship V-Strom 1050XT but with some differences to enable a lower price. The V-Strom 1050 shares the same engine and chassis platform as the XT model but replaces spoked wheels with cast aluminium items. Whilst keeping the same three-mode traction control system and three selectable engine power modes, the V-Strom 1050 loses the Suzuki Intelligent Ride System and its cruise control and Motion Track Brake System with linked brakes, hill hold, slope and load control and switchable ABS modes.

The DR-Z-inspired design is finished in either white and black or grey and black colour schemes, the LED taillights are finished with red lenses instead of the clear finish of the XT, and the LED indicators are swapped for more traditional items. The mirrors are changed, also.

It also loses the standard-fit engine bars, centre stand, handguards, and lower cowling of the XT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th November 2019 at 15:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 17:46   #2
BHPian

Default Re: 2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT

The looks will probably have a divided opinion on this one. For me, it is a neutral view.
The headlight shape looks similar to the new Katana.

I would say you need a better looking bike to take the competition to the likes of Multistrada 950 and others.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 10:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
The looks will probably have a divided opinion on this one. For me, it is a neutral view.
The headlight shape looks similar to the new Katana.

I would say you need a better looking bike to take the competition to the likes of Multistrada 950 and others.
I agree. The looks are nothing special and that red paint scheme doesnt do much for me. Maybe the bike is good to ride and the off-road credentials are decent. Personally for me, from a reliability point of view, Japanese brands are a better bet than the Europeans anyday.
narula123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Personally for me, from a reliability point of view, Japanese brands are a better bet than the Europeans anyday.
Which is why BMW GS1250 is the weapon of choice for most world travellers :-)
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 12:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Personally for me, from a reliability point of view, Japanese brands are a better bet than the Europeans anyday.
I have a difficult time understanding this sentiment. In general, European Automobiles are better built than their Japanese counter parts. They are no more or less expensive than the Japanese in their respective segments to maintain. Are part replacements more expensive? Maybe, depending on the car or bike.

Now personal preferences like engine type, lack or plethora of electronic aids, looks, budget, value etc can come into play and I can understand someone saying they like one vehicle more than the other. Why this blanket statement though? I ask because I am genuinely interested in understanding this sentiment.
imp! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 13:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I have a difficult time understanding this sentiment. In general, European Automobiles are better built than their Japanese counter parts. They are no more or less expensive than the Japanese in their respective segments to maintain. Are part replacements more expensive? Maybe, depending on the car or bike.

Now personal preferences like engine type, lack or plethora of electronic aids, looks, budget, value etc can come into play and I can understand someone saying they like one vehicle more than the other. Why this blanket statement though? I ask because I am genuinely interested in understanding this sentiment.
Gentlemen,
First and foremost the opinion was expressed in strictly as personal remark and not generic or accusatory as at all. The world enjoys buying, riding and living with European machines and I have absolutely no issues with that. Good luck to them.

Having ridden several European bikes across the years and having owned a few Japanese ones, my opinion or sentiment is built basis my experiences and experiences of friends & family who own these. I never meant that Japanese are the holy grail and the Europeans are made in a back-yard shed. I just meant that I will always prefer putting my money on a Japanese machine vs others when it comes to a buying decision.

Hope this clarifies and settles it.
narula123 is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 15:57   #7
BHPian

While the new features on this already wonderful tried & tested super-reliable bike are all nice, I also feel Suzuki should have gone in for some more sharper looks. The headlight design is a real put off. Anyway purely my personal opinions.

Quote:
Gentlemen,
First and foremost the opinion was expressed in strictly as personal remark and not generic or accusatory as at all. The world enjoys buying, riding and living with European machines and I have absolutely no issues with that. Good luck to them.

Having ridden several European bikes across the years and having owned a few Japanese ones, my opinion or sentiment is built basis my experiences and experiences of friends & family who own these. I never meant that Japanese are the holy grail and the Europeans are made in a back-yard shed. I just meant that I will always prefer putting my money on a Japanese machine vs others when it comes to a buying decision.

Hope this clarifies and settles it.

I also agree with your statements. And this coming from someone who has done more than a lakh kms on BMW bikes. And in spite of presently owning a few bikes including a Jap Inline-4, I still love to tour on BMW boxer bikes for their functionality.

Its true the European bikes are made more robust and technologically also most times they introduce stuff on bikes much before the japs do. However, the durability of the mechanicals on European bikes are generally a shade better than the japs (although that gap has also greatly narrowed from the 80s & 90s to present), but a majority of electricals/electronics on the japs are more stable & reliable so less chances of being immobilized on a jap bike due to software or sensor issues rather than mechanical breakdown, which in general can be fixed in some far corners of the world with a good street smart bike mechanic. In fact, BMWs till early 2000 didnt have too many electronics, however, post that they have been putting tons of electronics and sensors and many times these are the things that malfunction and can even immobilize the bike. In certain other cases it gives you a heartache like these examples-

Name:  BMWTFT.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  273.5 KB

Name:  BMWTFT2.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  315.2 KB

Imagine on your RTW ride in the middle of Mongolia or Sahara, you get such a message on your dashboard as shown!! Sadly, the most painful and ironic thing is that if you eventually find an authorized BMW bike dealer, there is a good chance, all he does is plugs the bike into a computer and resets/upgrades the software and says you are good to go (of course after settling his diagnostic-bill)! No other parts or repairs may be required but you still need to limp the bike and visit him.

Mechanically, there was this notorious EWS malfunction on the early R1200 hexhead bikes. This was a silly antennae on the ignition that malfunctioned and the bike wont start. This not only had to be taken to a BMW authorized center to replace but more importantly it had to be re programmed. Same with 'rain' water getting into the fuel pump and messing that up. Similarly, you can do a search on final drive failures in the early 1200 bikes (this I think was ridiculous especially for BMW which is a company that has made shaft driven bikes from almost its inception and having it fail on new bikes was a joke) and then the collapse of the rear electronically adjustable shock absorber and the more recent front Stanchion breakage disaster.

OFCOURSE, anything with an engine and wheels can give trouble and I dont say the Japs are free of troubles, but if you look at the general troubles on new Jap bikes they are far lesser and not such ride-stopping ones. Little wonder, past few years in bike consumer surveys in US, BMW was fairing at the bottom of the chart while unsurprisingly the Japs dominate the top part. As for service costs also I would guess a 30,000 km dealer service in India on a 1200GS today should set you back about Rs 30-40k. I am not sure if the DL1000/1050 or an Africa Twin 1000/1100 would cost that much to service at 30-40k kms.

All said, still for those that like the torque & character of the BMW boxer twin engine for example, the lower center of gravity and the general feel of that bike, they are willing to put up with some of the vageries of the European bikes knowing well that the japs such as the DL1050 or CRF1100 may perhaps be less work to deal with in the long run.....

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2019 at 00:10. Reason: Inserted images. Thank you.
Haroon is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 17:40   #8
BHPian

The bike looks pretty nice but I'm not sure if there will be too many buyers. I think riders would end up buying either the Africa Twin or the Multistrada depending on the kind of riding they wish to do. With the possible launch of the 790 Adventure, this bike will struggle in a crowded space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I was reading the "Long Way Around" book based on that famous TV series last week. Charlie Boorman was absolutely set on the KTM but they declined to sponsor the trip and BMW stepped in. The phenomenal success of the show catapulted the GS to its legendary status which it has never let slip. I'm sure KTM haven't stopped facepalming themselves to date.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 10:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki's explanations on why the VStrom 1050 XT is the 'Master of Adventure' -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote