Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 8th November 2019, 15:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 2020 KTM 890 Duke R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Oh my god, why would Tata bring JLR tech at those prices!!?? Are they stupid enough to lose their JLR clientele?
There is no need to offer de-badged JLR cars or use their Aluminium architecture. Neither do they need to offer DSG's, PDKs, Ingenium engines or state of the art mechatronics. They can however offer vehicles like the Harrier that are well built, finished to European standards and offer a good drive experience. Incidentally I'll probably put my money where my mouth is and buy the Automatic Harrier.

Quote:
And why would KTM localize the 1290 series and sell them at the prices you want them to!!??
The premise being that they would be first movers into not screwing the Indian public over on price. Even if my pricing is unrealistic, they can still offer fantastic value if they can bring the 1290 ADV at OTR price of 18 Lakhs, with sensible pricing on luggage systems.

Quote:
You become market leaders with your bread and butter models (Duke 200/250/390, Tiago/Tigor in Tata's case) and not by diluting your premium products into a lower price range!
Sure I agree with you, but, use JLR knowledge on quality supply chain to ensure that your cars are well built and feel premium. No need to offer a 400 NM, 600 HP, Super Charged Tigor with adaptive suspension systems. Keep that for a 80 Lakh XJL/Sports car and offer a lower version at 70 Lakhs. As that is what it is priced elsewhere. However, at 7 Lakh Rs, offer a Tigor that is well put together, has quality plastics with proper use of tolerances and an Engine tune that works well in the real world.

A Harrier without the QC issues and a little bit of attention to detail would be nice.

Quote:
I will admit that the D790 was a tricky one. Even I was hoping for a pricing miracle but it turned out the opposite. With the 790, you can sort of understand KTM's intent for it's future in India.
Thing is, if they had offered it in a spec that competed with the Striple S (not the RS mind you) they would have shown that they are still number one for offering fantastic products at good prices for India. At their current pricing they are a bit off. The electronics on offer are mind bogglingly good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I think the price has more to do with taxation and localization.
From the looks of it, Bajaj and KTM have an understanding that the premium products get produced in Austria as earlier and the price sensitive products get made here.

KTM cannot move the manufacturing of one product here and maintain the parity between the two bases, they would effectively have to reduce costs in their home Austrian base while also investing in the Indian base.

All these sacrifices for a market which might not really buy a lot of these 790s/ 890s seems bad business sense.
Yeah the taxation structure is wonky, and, the market is small, but, it is still maturing while western markets have peaked and are in equilibrium.
For the correct products at fair prices, there will be a big potential for growth here.

Shifting Manufacturing to India while keeping design (KTM outsource the design IIRC) in Europe can actually open up huge potential for them. Their margins will go up, allowing them more funds for R&D and future growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Same goes for Tata, though Tata exerts much more control on JLR than Bajaj does on KTM.

- Slick
Tata have learnt nothing from JLR, otherwise they'd be launching products on par or superior to Skoda/VW; As far as a pricing for India policy. I think there is a case to be made for that as Tata can benefit a great deal from being the primary luxury can manufacturer in India. Again, BRIC are the biggest growth potential for Automotive industry while everything else has virtually hit an equilibrium.

Just my opinion though.
imp! is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote