Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 13:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Good job getting the tune-up and running. Any reason you are dark siding with a car tire? Wouldn't it be better to upsize with a bike tire - 190's are a reasonably common size in India.
Traction and trying something new. I hear they offer better braking , straight line traction and great wet weather run. Its not very expensive thing to try , will revert back if i dont see the cookies on the dark side.
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:38   #47
BHPian

So i have removed sensor adaptor from intake manifold, installed the new sensor at stock location as from factory. Stuff from chrome plating is back, looks awesome, will probably install it day after tomorrow. Meanwhile , have to get an adaptor machined for Oil cooler set up! Thats whats is on priority. Oil cooler will be completed tomorrow.
Alka panwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka panwar View Post
Traction and trying something new. I hear they offer better braking , straight line traction and great wet weather run. Its not very expensive thing to try , will revert back if i dont see the cookies on the dark side.
Hi Alka,

You may wanna have a look at this video before going through the effort of trying a Car tire at the rear of the bike.

All the Best!

aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Hi Alka,

You may wanna have a look at this video before going through the effort of trying a Car tire at the rear of the bike.

All the Best!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=hEZeR9E3JyY
So , acc to this YouTube video , handling is the big let down! i shall report on that handling bit soon! I am very near to trying it
Alka panwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 00:53   #50
BHPian

The longest one is Stock Harley Davidson exhaust shield, rest of them are manufactured by me! Left most is Intake manifold manufactured by me! Its looks awesome!
The left most is intake manifold, it has a port for blow off valve! Look at the shadow of that port on next piece! Its like a mirror! Showing exactly the port on mirror
All that is handmade! Workmanship 100%
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200204_004834.jpg  

Last edited by Alka panwar : 4th February 2020 at 01:11.
Alka panwar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 15:01   #51
BHPian

New tire is here! But it is 200mm ( at widest points) not 185mm. 185mm is the thread width. Need to do something about rear fender to accommodate it! Fender is 200mm exactly, but it needs to run Blinker wires and Nut&bolts at various places, so atleast another 25mm is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200205_145157.jpg  

Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200205_145236.jpg  

Alka panwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 20:30   #52
BHPian

Widened the Rear fender, Custom made oil cooler set up (Twice as large as HD one) with a Fan from KTM. Chrome cover parts done. Dual Disk front in progress, got original HD Disk and Caliper. Probably this week end should see the road again.
Alka panwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 11:58   #53
BHPian

Oil cooler setup with KTM fan and a thermostat. Fan kicks off at 130*c oil temp. Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200213_204803.jpg
Also tried mounting the car tire, on stock wheel it is a stupid idea. Whose idea was it any way? So it has got to go, getting the stock tire back on for now. This Car tire needs atleast a 5.5 inch wide wheel, stock is 3inch wide, its getting abnormally curvy on side walls with stock wheel. Will subject sidewalls to unusual forces and may get dangerous.
With motorcycle with atleast 5.5 wide rims, i guess it could be given a shot for sure. Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200213_122942.jpg

Also checked on Intank fuel pump, since its an old bike, while i am at it,decided to clean it and surely it turned out to be worthwhile idea. Getting new stainer and fuel filter Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200213_183421.jpgAdding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200213_183739.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200213_183421.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1969888
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200213_183755.jpg  

Last edited by Alka panwar : 14th February 2020 at 12:26. Reason: Additional
Alka panwar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 15:49   #54
BHPian

Just back from a 400km night ride to meerut, riding to Chandigarh tomorrow. Awesomeness personified. Got the dual disk front working great too.
Just general pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200229_154106_1.jpg  

Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200229_154125.jpg  

Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200229_154058_1.jpg  

Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200229_154208.jpg  

Alka panwar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 19:14   #55
BHPian

So i let the Ecu computer decide my engine displacement automatically based on air flow ,not knowing it is being force fed . And this is the value it came up with.lol moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200229_191146.jpg  

Alka panwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:57   #56
BHPian

On way to Chandigarh, somewhere in Himachal.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200301_150341_1.jpg  

Alka panwar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 14:05   #57
BHPian

Dual disk is working great! Very gently pressure on lever makes awesome stopping power. However, this is without abs, application on slow speeds like in town speed humps, its very easy to lock front wheel. One has to be careful of how much pressure to apply on lever. May be in a month or so i will get used to it.
And i saved whole lot of money, by designing my own mounting brackets, didn't change the fork leg, used stock left side caliper on right side as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img_20200229_042029.jpg  

Alka panwar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 22:06   #58
BHPian

Road king headlights! Few other titbits. Completed 1000km after Turbo. Zero issues ( I did further improve the tune all this while). Cruising temps at 80-120kph were around 200*c,heavy traffic temps reached as high as 220, now they have been toned down to 170-180 range with Spark timing improvements. Temps not touching 200 now,not even in heavy traffic.
Front shocks and triple tree are in pipeline, saddlebags & windscreen too. Few clips available on YouTube with id Torque king
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883-img20200316wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by Alka panwar : 16th March 2020 at 22:28.
Alka panwar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 04:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka panwar View Post
Its already pretty low on 883 evolution motors. 8.9:1. Pretty much spot on for some boost.

Till chrome parts get here, only thing that can be done is to prep the ECU software for some road tune. Getting started with it today.
ECU tune is like 75% of work of this Turbo project or any turbo project. Plumbing and welding I am sure pretty much any mechanic can do and do it much better, what they don't do well is the factory level ecu tune. Largely responsible for so many turbo projects gone bad. Some people do it with external piggy banks, hoodwinks and what not. Never as reliable as a vehicle running on its stock ecu alone with close loop tune capable of keeping consistent AFR and adjusting Spark timing as per actual available boost.

Problems that need to addressed:-
1. ECU does not recognize any value above 107KPA for incoming air into engine. Will throw a fault code and shut down the engine immediately. Not even a "Limp Home Mode".

2. ECU not compatible with 2 bar or 3 bar or any other specification of Manifold absolute Pressure sensor.

3. ECU takes ambient pressure readings from Stock Manifold pressure sensor , changing the stock sensor changes the whole foundation of ecu tune. Also degrades the ability of ecu to adjust to elevations above seas level.

4. Changing the flow rate of Injectors is another major headache, throws off the whole Volumetric efficiency table for each cylinder, but at least here we know by how much.

5. Volumetric efficiency table will not take any value above 120, when boost hits, even mild values of 6-8 psi, shoves in much more air than the cubic capacity of cylinder ( 150-200% of stock values), getting stuck at 120 is not a good place to be.

I am not even getting started on Spark timings just yet, that in itself is whole god level of trouble. Too many problems to address but at least this tuner is capable of editing every ECU table and can record engine data (Sensor voltages, events, AFR) for data analysis at a further time and rectifications to tune as required at exact RPM/MAP/Temperature point on the tune instead of generic enriching/enleanment of tune in totality. Fingers crossed for 8PSI close loop fault code free operation.
Now I declare this project closed!
All issues have been addressed as listed.
I will try to address each as listed in starting of thread, I haven't read all of tbhp threads,but i am quite sure no turbo charging project has put forward details and actual technical values in thread like i did.
Well most such projects in india (On Cars)work on imported tunes from European/uS counterparts, I don't think there is a successful EFI turbo project for motorcycles as yet.
My project is also a partial success, although i achieved what i set out to,but along the way i discovered there is still huge potential. So obviously next project will be atleast 150bhp Harley Davidson. May be even 180bhp one.
When i started it, i felt like i am throwing money down the drain, now that i understand how this particular ECU works, it all seems so easy. I probably will need lighter and forged pistons, forged connecting rods and some heavy duty bearings for the crank too for that 150+ target. Apart from that along the way i have discovered major weakling in this engine or lets say generally Harley engine! That is aluminium crankcase! Now you can run ur imaginative horses, but bits and pieces of crankcase design gn are preventing me from running 15-20psi. Detonation is a major factor, but atleast there is atleast known remedy for it.
So , as luck would have it, i am going to go ballistic on turbochargers.
Now to address points of this project for igniting petrol head souls out there
1.Ecu is just another stupid computer! Either you can fake the input, manipulate the input or you can fake the output or manipulate the output. Just learn some electronics and get pro at soldering .
2. Dynojet power vision will get you through this! Just learn to use it beyond basic auto tune.
3.ambient pressure changes - with elevation/weather etc , but if you look at it closely, it dsnt change much wrt changes in intake pressure of an engine. Can you manipulate it enough?
4.injectors is simplest job, you know flow rate of outgoing and incoming injectors. Just mould VE table according to it.
5.what happens if i tell ecu initial VE is 5% not 65% . Just think about it! It will never hit its limiting values

Last edited by Alka panwar : 17th March 2020 at 04:17.
Alka panwar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:28   #60
BHPian

What is the oil capacity of the ktm oil cooler vs harley/jag oilcooler?

How much more engine oil was added?

Which model ktm oil cooler is it, what were the changes done for fitting?
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks