Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 11:13   #76
BANNED

Re: My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I eventually might end up spending some money on a quick shifter and see if that removes the user factor, call me stupid.
If its an inherent concern then I'd not go with a QS. Reason being a QS just momentarily interrupts the ignition from firing which takes off load from the transmission and enables it to shift up.

Basically with a QS on board, if the cogs do not slot in then the next fire would cause it to slip out and not in a way that would favor longevity.

Hence making a QS counter intuitive in this scenario.

Quote:
Anyway I knew this "flaw" before booking the bike and apart for a slightly bruised ego when that happens I see no other issue and can live with it.
I for some reason am still not convinced its a flaw, reason being the sequential shift constant mesh gearbox has been on the scene for longer than anyone of us can recall, unfortunately being a niche machine the number of high mileage users would be abysmal to get a proper review.

Fingers crossed on Vasuki crossing 50k since he has a better chance with close to 20k clicks a year.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th March 2020 at 17:39. Reason: Typo.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 11:17   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Since there was no functionality impacted I decided to let it go but at least they are a customer oriented bunch and its good to know that they value customer feedback.
Rynox and ViaTerra are very good at that aspect. They are very open to suggestions. Love it when companies do business like this.

Quote:
Though the only thing I absolutely hate about the bike is the false neutral between 5th and 6th gear. Imagine this, on the highway you string a couple of neat overtakes on multiple vehicles and just when its time to settle into a cruising rhythm you up shift and you hear krrrrrrrk or the revs shoot up... I'm pretty sure most drivers I just overtook must be sniggering "amateur"
Had happened to me a few times when overtaking with my CBR, sometimes I am just lazy in shifting, man that embarrassment is very humbling

Quote:
Now that its summer I am finding it a bit difficult to ride on our highways. Case in point only yesterday I was returning from Salem and made the mistake of starting at 3pm, till 4pm I had a tough time finding the right rhythm because the heat was so oppresive, so I guess till the onset of monsoon the bike will be relegated to the garage, in a way thats a good thing because I almost forgot I own a car too
Summer is going to be pretty bad this year. It's already hitting 40degrees at my place back in Kerala and some places in TN too.

Cheer
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:37   #78
BHPian

With public transport not the safest option I found myself looking for a city commuter since I have to do a 20 km round trip twice a day. The only bike that caught my fancy was the Continental GT 650 but currently I do not have the budget for a new bike. About the same time fellow Bhpian KarthikK announced that he was planning on selling his Karizma. Growing up, that bike never caught my fancy but by now it has its own fan following so I decided to buy that bike. Karthik knowing me really well told me to ride the bike first for a while and then decide if I really wanted it, instead of making an impulsive purchase and then regretting it. Thank goodness one of us has common sense! So I took him up on his offer. The guy does keep his vehicles well and the bike was in immaculate condition, but part of owning an old bike is trying to restore it to its former glory, so that didnt stop me from immediately replacing the engine oil with Motul 7100 and slapping Masseters on and a new air filter. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the bike with nary a squeak nor a rattle but something just didnt connect. I found that as much as I loved trying to bring the bike back to showroom condition I did not belong to the nostalgic club. It was a good character learning experience and I realized I liked to live in the present. So before handing the bike back to Karthik I took the bike to the nearby Hero service center for a check just to make sure nothing was amiss during my short ownership period. I still dont recollect how the conversation started but 3 mechanics and the floor supervisor pounced on me when they realised I was evaluating the bike and was going to hand it back to the owner. They demanded I call the owner then and there (maybe they knew something I didnt). One of the mechanics struck a deal and that was that. The bike was sold! I guess the fact that I couldn't out brake or out accelerate a dangerous situation was a deal breaker for me.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0284.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0293.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0304.jpg

Am I an off roader now ?

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0317.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0333.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0345.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0348.jpg

This for me will always remain a relic from a bygone era

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0379.jpg

Though truth be told every time I rode the Karizma and came home, one look at this parked I had to take it for a spin. So I decided to use it as my daily commute. Overkill ? Heck yes! But every day is a joy.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0039.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0066.jpg

The biggest issue I faced with this as a daily commute was when coming to a stop and putting my foot down. I never in my wildest dream thought I would end up on an ADV so my trusty Sidi's were not up for the task. They slip like crazy off the bike. Multiple times I would put my foot down only for my leg to slip and with a pillion thats a recipe for disaster. Though on the bike these boots are sublime. Footpeg slide forward to reach gear lever and slide back to footpeg can be done in one slick motion and you feel each and every click (clank- Its a Ducati) of the shifter or every mis-shift (again, its a Ducati). And not once have I been caught on the wrong foot on the pegs with these boots. Sadly they dont cut it when trying to manoeuvre the bike at idle, whether you are on or off the bike.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0159.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0162.jpg

With international travel not an option for the foreseeable future, I visited Orion Riding gear. They have a lovely collection of all riding gear and I felt like a kid in a candy store. But once I wore these I knew no other option would do. Extremely comfortable and very protective! Did a small city run and then had to make a 500 km round trip for some personal work to Salem. So my observations post a little over 500kms with these.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0160.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0161.jpg

Its like I have an extra brake. When I put my foot down I can control the bike without breaking a sweat. Same with off bike manoeuvres. Its solid to the extent where I am considering buying a knee brace because in case something has to give first thing to go would my anterior ligament (knee) and having torn and repaired one already, I am in no mood for another tear. You see how motorcycling gear and accessories are a huge financial drain into a bottomless pit?
Performance on the move is a different story though. No more sliding on the pegs. Its now, lift from foot peg - change gear- lift back on to foot peg I have to now recalibrate my shifting durations and talking about gear lever feel - Whats that? I have to rely on the console to see if the gears have slotted in, hoping with kms I get the hang of this but there is no going back.
I had a huge scare when I rode with these for the first time. When I tried to up-shift and put my balls of my foot back on the pegs I felt something holding my leg down. That was a scary moment. The top of the boot catches on the crash guard.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0170_li.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0177.jpg

There is nothing I can do apart from lift boot from peg - up shift - move leg to the left - lift boot and put back on peg. See how cumbersome this has become now! Will have to learn to ride with arches on the peg but I find that position uncomfortable.

And why am I telling you all this? In case someone is wondering what type of riding boot to buy I sincerely hope this gives them some idea. Because I had no clue!

Since we are on the topic of riding footwear , this has to be my all time favourite. Though it doesn't look like much it has heel, toe, ankle hard protection, multiple slide points, like dancing shoes on the footpegs and yes, you can run up and down stairs with these! Though sadly these cannot be used with a 200+ KG ADV. I have had the misfortune of the side stand landing squarely on the toe box of the SIDI's and managed to walk away with only a dull pain. These riding shoes aren't built for that so for now are relegated to NTORQ duties.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0165.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0166.jpg

So the hunt for a fun city commuter continues, as I would hate to see 2 pairs of perfectly good riding boots rotting away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Summer is going to be pretty bad this year. It's already hitting 40degrees at my place...
I cant help but laugh out loud when I recall this message. I would gladly accept 40+ temps than the madness we have been dealt with. Who knew!

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 19th August 2020 at 18:48.
deepfreak15 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 20:24   #79
BHPian

I used to use Alpinestars SMX6. It is is basically a track/street boots and not exactly a touring shoe. I used this during my Spiti Trip. It is in the last fag of life after nearly 3.5 years of use.

I recently purchased Orazo riding boots. It is definetely VFM compared to the big brands.

Quote:
I had a huge scare when I rode with these for the first time. When I tried to up-shift and put my balls of my foot back on the pegs I felt something holding my leg down. That was a scary moment. The top of the boot catches on the crash guard.
And Yes it does not entangle with the Multi from my experience.

Last edited by Vasuki : 19th August 2020 at 20:29.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 06:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Oh boy! I know that feeling, I have had a few instances when I was commuting and when the loop of the tied shoelace would get stuck in the gear lever and that few seconds of panic when you have no idea what is pulling on your feet and making you lose balance.

Now about the boot, I have one observation, A* boots are usually almost very bulky towards the shin area, no matter they be street/offroad/adv/track boots. My SMX6 also has this very same type of construction on top with the plastic bits being a bit exaggerated in size. I have had a similar incident with the boots, but not as pronounced as what you had. So ever since that what I do is to wear the boots and cover them with the riding pants. That way there is no obstruction. If you have a riding pant that has the zipper adjustment for the legs like Rynox does that could solve your problem.

Notice the bulkiness towards the top of the shin area
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-screenshot-20200820-6.56.26-am.png

Notice how mine remains covered, you can still notice the difference in girth when it comes to the shin area. But this way no obstruction.
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-img_1026.jpeg

Quote:
I cant help but laugh out loud when I recall this message. I would gladly accept 40+ temps than the madness we have been dealt with. Who knew!
Oh, how naive of a comment that was from me. Me too would just happily trade-in for that. Haven't ridden in over 5 months now.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 07:02   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
So ever since that what I do is to wear the boots and cover them with the riding pants. That way there is no obstruction. If you have a riding pant that has the zipper adjustment for the legs like Rynox does that could solve your problem.
I always ride with the pant over the boot and while that helps to make sure the boot doesn't get properly snagged on that bar it was indeed alarming the first time.
Shoe lace caught on lever! Happened to me once and I almost had to change my underwear, after that swore to never ride a motorcycle with exposed shoe laces.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 07:21   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I always ride with the pant over the boot and while that helps to make sure the boot doesn't get properly snagged on that bar it was indeed alarming the first time.
Shoe lace caught on lever! Happened to me once and I almost had to change my underwear, after that swore to never ride a motorcycle with exposed shoe laces.
Oh ok, I guess being the ADV build the outline of the boots are a bit more pronounced than the Track oriented ones.

Oh yeah, decided to upgraded to proper boots a few months post that and in the off chance were I commuted to work with snealers made it a point to always tuck in the shoe laces into the shoes post that.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:28   #83
BHPian

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0185.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0201.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0242.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0296.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0372.jpg

Had a very interesting afternoon. Signed up for a day trip to Sakleshpur but didnt factor in some really hard and wet clay topped with moss and dew. Lets just say all protection on the bike and rider safety gear was put to the test and came out with flying colours. The only thing that didnt come out with flying colours but managed to survive was rider skill and lets leave it at that.

Im starting to see the appeal of big burly ADVs now.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0322.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0327.jpg

Ill also admit, if I saw that in my rear view mirror when driving bearing down on me I might be a bit intimidated.

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0326.jpg

Someone on our forum likened ADVs to a "pregnant cow" I dont see anything wrong with that. It looks completely at home among grazing cows on a meadow

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dsc_0257.jpg

Since we shared the same color scheme I thought we could be friends but she was not interested and seemed a bit annoyed. I was heartbroken

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dji_0509.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-dji_0512.jpg

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 30th August 2020 at 19:44.
deepfreak15 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 18:28   #84
BHPian

With the borders slowly opening up, did a Bangalore-Kanyakumari round trip with a halt in Salem in between. I had no clue the car would be relegated to city duties while the Multi has become the de facto choice for the highway.

Learning the art of packing light. Ever since we got the top box the Mrs has forgotten we have a car at home
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-img20200909wa0053.jpg

Now I see what the fuss is with Italian beauties, didn't notice how svelte and curvy the Multi looked
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200908_170709.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200908_170854.jpg

Only piece of luggage not in the pic is the tank bag. The handling of the bike doesn't change much and sometimes its very easy to forget you have luggage fitted.
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200908_171346.jpg

Weirdest weather in Kanyakumari district this time. It continuously rained without let up and before I knew it the entire chain turned orange Without access to proper chain lube, did something sacrilegious, used some engine oil that was lying around.
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200907_124305.jpg

Off late noticed a dull booming noise at highway speeds with the windscreen at the lowest setting. Did some googling and learnt that the further away you are from the windscreen the higher the turbulent air flow behind it. Looks like I have been sitting in a bubble of turbulent air all along. Only way to fix this is go small or go extremely large. Since I cant/wont go any larger than this will be replacing it with a short screen soon.
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-whatsapp-image-20200903-8.23.41-am-3_li.jpg

I am a point A-B guy when travelling , point me in a direction with an end destination and I will gun for it. I do not like to deviate, stop smell the roses etc. I have always been that way and dont think that will ever change. But something about this place makes me stop to take a picture. Irrespective of what I am riding/driving.
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200909_071434.jpg

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200909_071519.jpg

But its not been all roses so far, some things I don't feel too happy about after 7.6K kms
-Off bike maneuvering is downright intimidating and I'm never comfortable (always afraid I'm going to drop the bike)
-Panniers in the city are a pain. If left to myself its no concern, but once in a while an idiot will come along and try to cut across in front of the panniers (usually they are on an Activa)
-The rear tyres have plenty of tread but have already started squaring off. With a pillion and luggage I don't lean over much but am loathe to find out how the bike handles when I'm riding solo.
-Rear tyre throws up a ton of muck all over the panniers and top box if the road is wet. Currently there is no OEM splash guard for the 950.
-The horn stops working if I use it continuously 5-6 times at a stretch and only switching the bike off and on fixes it. Will be changing to a Denali shortly.
-The gear indicator has a mind of its own when it comes to 1-N-2.

All said and done, pretty chuffed with this bike and it justifies itself after every ride!

My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-20200905_172224.jpg
deepfreak15 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 19:46   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

All borders to TN open? No problems enroute?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 19:53   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
All borders to TN open? No problems enroute?
Right now there is no option to apply for an E pass for motorcycles to enter TN, the only options on the website are car, taxi etc and when I crossed over there was no one manning the post at Attibele/Hosur. As far as I know motorcycles are not stopped. Though no telling what might happen if a bunch of big loud bikes in a convoy tried to cross over.
My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-img_20200911_195844.jpg

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 11th September 2020 at 19:59.
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:17   #87
BHPian

Regarding the horn replacement, i am just sharing my thoughts and you decide as per your requirement.

Though trumpet horns have higher decibel ratings, many people have faced issues with them. They are very much vulnerable to malfunction or even going bad due to water ingress. Also the investment is so high considering it has a shorter life. The other alternative is to go for a single disc horn from roots or hella. It is much more durable compared to trumpet horn. If you feel a single horn is not sufficiently loud, you can go for a pair of disc horns with a relay switch.
shan_ned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Though trumpet horns have higher decibel ratings, many people have faced issues with them. They are very much vulnerable to malfunction or even going bad due to water ingress. Also the investment is so high considering it has a shorter life. The other alternative is to go for a single disc horn from roots or hella. It is much more durable compared to trumpet horn. If you feel a single horn is not sufficiently loud, you can go for a pair of disc horns with a relay switch.
Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I am not overtly concerned about the volume and pretty happy with the stock horn (when it works). I only use the horn when I find myself in a cluster of traffic and I find it irritating when the horn decides to stop working. I have been told that it's because of the proximity to the engine something expands and no longer vibrates to generate the sound. I have also been adviced by the Ducati service centre to switch to soundbomb mini to avoid this. I'll look around for an alternative if the Denalis aren't up to the mark either. I'll let you know how they fare.
deepfreak15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 23:39   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off late noticed a dull booming noise at highway speeds with the windscreen at the lowest setting. Did some googling and learnt that the further away you are from the windscreen the higher the turbulent air flow behind it. Looks like I have been sitting in a bubble of turbulent air all along. Only way to fix this is go small or go extremely large. Since I cant/wont go any larger than this will be replacing it with a short screen soon.
The short screen will leave you directly exposed to all new head and chest hitting air flow and will easily tire you out a lot more than the current screen will. Given that you do a lot of highway riding, a bigger screen, though aesthetically less pleasing, would be a lot more effective in controlling wind blast and should sort out your turbulent air problem.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:07   #90

Quote:
Headlights are just namesake, though I have no intention of being on the highway at night so I can live with these.
Thanks for the heads up to decide whether to go for this big guy as I’m planning to upgrade from versys650 but still haven’t zeroed this beast.

Wish you happy miles in the days to come����

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th November 2020 at 11:24. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Invincible8789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed