Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 11:28   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

krishnaprasadgg, thank heavens that you didnt get knocked down by the auto! A few thoughts after reading your most re-reading your most recent updates.
- The removal of the Yamalube sticker does make a big difference to the look of the bike! It is such a simple and small change, but the R1 just looks so much better. Now that I look at the opening picture of your latest post, I think your bike will look even better, if you remove the big Yamaha from the belly pan fairing. Just saying!
- Speaking of the opening picture, it has become the new background wallpaper on my laptop. I will be much obliged if you can send me the high resolution version!
- With the detailing sesssion, your bike looks like it is 2 - 3 months old with 2.8K kms on the odometer. Not 28K kms.
- That Tiger looks like a sofa on wheels and the best way to ride across districts in Kerala!
- The marble floor at the detailing studio looks like it came straight out of the dashboard of the new Safari Gold edition. Yikes!!
- The CBR650F is a real gem of a bike, isnt it? Im sure that you enjoyed riding it for the few weeks that you had it with you.
- Im really looking forward to the 250 restoration thread. Being a Honda, I wonder how many parts would actually need replacing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Here are few pics of when he rode to the famous Wayanad Ghats. He is too lazy to post it here so I am doing it for him.
- And finally, doesnt Xaos636 know that we are all waiting for the ownership thread of his CBR650F??!!
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:34   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
And finally, doesnt Xaos636 know that we are all waiting for the ownership thread of his CBR650F??!!
+1 on this. I really want to read xaos thread of his CBR. He is forever the Sam Wilson in KP's thread. Time for xaos to step into the limelight.
no_fear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:16   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Lol, if anything your R1 thread was the momentum for me to create my threads. And now the circle is complete.

Quote:
Luckily I was on my KTM and damage was minimal. But seriously, most are a menace on roads.
Damn! Glad to hear that. And yes, they are a proper menace.

Quote:
- The removal of the Yamalube sticker does make a big difference to the look of the bike! It is such a simple and small change, but the R1 just looks so much better. Now that I look at the opening picture of your latest post, I think your bike will look even better, if you remove the big Yamaha from the belly pan fairing. Just saying!
The Yamaha sticker will also go away soon. I am planning on getting the black panel freshly painted by a good painter. Trying to decide who to use for the job. I have very few contacts directly in this field and I am in the process of asking around now. There are a few dimples/dents too in the black panel so filling it in will also be a priority.

Quote:
- Speaking of the opening picture, it has become the new background wallpaper on my laptop. I will be much obliged if you can send me the high resolution version!
Ha! Mine too. For sure. I'll send it to you in some time.

Quote:
- With the detailing sesssion, your bike looks like it is 2 - 3 months old with 2.8K kms on the odometer. Not 28K km.
I agree. The biggest test the detailing job passed was when my mom came out to see the bike and said that the bike actually looks brand new! Test passed!

Quote:
- That Tiger looks like a sofa on wheels and the best way to ride across districts in Kerala!
Oh yeah. It is just on another level. Bad roads? What bad roads?

Quote:
- The marble floor at the detailing studio looks like it came straight out of the dashboard of the new Safari Gold edition. Yikes!!
A bit overdone for sure, but hey, as long as the work they did isn't bad.

Quote:
- The CBR650F is a real gem of a bike, isnt it? Im sure that you enjoyed riding it for the few weeks that you had it with you.
Yeah, man. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to say Honda smoothness and reliability set aside, that Akra full system takes the cake. It makes such beautiful sounds and that too without being obnoxious, nothing does it like the Akra's. My hunt for a pair of Akra's for the R1 has only become more desperate now.

Quote:
- Im really looking forward to the 250 restoration thread. Being a Honda, I wonder how many parts would actually need replacing though.
No mechanical damaged parts to replace tbh. just some other stuff like TB cleaning, SP change, Fork oil change, Brake system rebuild, and freshening up the fairing/panels and wheels. The engine runs super smooth even now after 54k km of running.
The bike is an anomaly in some respects, 250's of the 2013 era were notorious for Shim noise and chewing up chain sliders like there's no tomorrow. And my bike has not needed a valve adjustment yet and it's still on the chain sliders that came from the factory. I mean it has to be the rider right? I think so.

Quote:
- And finally, doesnt Xaos636 know that we are all waiting for the ownership thread of his CBR650F??!!
Quote:
+1 on this. I really want to read xaos thread of his CBR. He is forever the Sam Wilson in KP's thread. Time for xaos to step into the limelight.
Man, you guys have no idea, I have been pestering him from day 1 of his ownership of the bike to start a thread. He just won't do it. Now at least I have more people joining in demanding it from him.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 15:22   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, you guys have no idea, I have been pestering him from day 1 of his ownership of the bike to start a thread. He just won't do it. Now at least I have more people joining in demanding it from him.

Cheers
Krishna
Well to be honest, these words from the three of you have been a motivation. I have still not decided on whether to start one or not to, as we already have many CBR 650 ownership threads here. But right now after speaking with @krishna, I thought of penning one, because every ownership is unique and different and I handsdown agree with that. Give me a bit more time and I should start works on it . Lots of pics and maintenance works are there, no chance for putting it together in a single go, so I will try to make it short and sweet posts.

Meanwhile I wanted to post about the R1, but have been very busy dealing with a few personal matters as well as official matters in the last one week and I thought I would do it later. I have been to the hills(Wayanad Ghats) with the R1 couple of days back and I just understood where the bike should go first. A track! As Waynad ghats have short straights and more corners, I found the standard mode to be a bit more powerful at corner exits(noobie still, so please view in that way) where it even popped up wheelies if you gave the full throttle at exits. Then I switched to B mode and started to enjoy it a lot. I got a feeling that now its not capable of killing me, so lets enjoy the ride. I feel the tires could be better(Angel GT now) and could have given me a lot more confidence, not that I dint have any.

The bike is like an R15. If you have ridden the R15 at track, even for amateur's, the bike itself helps you a lot, I mean a lot. R15 itself wants to corner hard and its a big example of how a good handling bike should be(yes it has its shortcomings in normal roads, no bike is perfect). R1 is sort of a more mature, more powerful R15 where you can do even better leans and corner exits as it was just born for it. Just that its better in the hands of experienced riders I would say because of how much our traffic sense and insta reels have evolved, because the bike deserves a better rider to take care of it and to know what are its shortcomings. As we scroll through the insta though, it feels like they do "anything for the gram", especially from the new breed of riders putting everyone on the road at a huge risk.

Speaking of the bike itself, the brake issue should be solved with the Brembo's arriving soon and then the only thing I would be missing would be the ABS, talking from a safety standpoint, especially in a country like India where an auto can even pop-up from thin air. The heat doesn't help too in the current Kerala conditions. Hilly areas like Waynad is also in the range of 30 degrees and I climbed a day which it showed 34 degrees where the return ride by 9AM itself made sure I was completely drained and dehydrated. The overheat warning came up as soon as I reached top hill and parked the bike for a few minutes, but when riding, it never went over ~106 degrees as the cooling system did its job really well. But as @Rachit's R1 thread suggests, a fan kicking in much early could have helped because the heat is to be experienced here. Even in car I am finding it difficult to keep cool during mid-day and with an R1 throwing everything at your legs, you got to plan your rides so that you don't get caught up in the heat. Still I would say the R1 heats up less than a Panigale 959 on the same route, which is the only bike(along with ZX10R) that I had a chance to clock decent kms to come to a conclusion. An yeah, the V-Twin doesn't help here at all either in 959's case, so not a fair comparison either, but on the similar lines of a10R and an S1000RR(2017 version).

So right now attaching a few images and thinking of when I can get it back for another ride. Anyway, winter is coming

Disclaimer: The ghat ride was early morning with less traffic and speeds were always below 80kph because the ghat's section doesn't allow you to try the top speed anyway, it only helps you to test your cornering abilities. Still for anyone reading this, I wouldn't suggest to go the full ballistic missile mode as it can be dangerous for everyone using the same road, be it any ghats
Attached Thumbnails
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1.jpg  

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-2.jpg  

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-3.jpg  

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-4.jpg  

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-5.jpg  

Xaos636 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 18:09   #320
Senior - BHPian

The bike really looks like a million bucks post the detailing session

I really don’t understand why manufacturers can’t offer better/premium brake setups even on their premium offerings. Bikes with so much power need the best braking system not to just stop faster but also go faster. I am sure you will enjoy riding the bike more and have better confidence with the Corsa Corta MC paired with the braided lines on the stock calipers.
SnS_12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 23:55   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Look at that beauty, if looks could kill. Absolute justice done to the bike, looks like a million bucks.

God bless Xasos, everyone needs a buddy like him. Even better the paint scheme of both your bikes is a bit identical match made in heave eh!!

Do let me know when ever you are in bangalore with this beauty I need to see it in person!
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 14:33   #322
BHPian

So something that I did not mention in yesterday's post was how I felt with the bike on the ride back home. It started off pretty well, took a few km to get used to the brakes(or rather lack of) and the hard clutch after coming from using the 650F for a couple of weeks.
Some 5-6kms into the ride the bike was already making its heat known, and that usually means overrun pops and bangs on the slightest hint of rolling off the throttle, and this is something I enjoy with the LV end-cans that I have on, but this time it was different, I started getting a feeling that the sound has changed and it started to feel a bit more on the hollow, tinny side of things. I was wondering if I am just imagining things and pushed on, some 40-50kms in, it really started messing with my mind and the more I paid attention to it the more I realized that indeed the sound had changed, I guess the steelwool packing inside the exhaust has started to wear thin. Way back in 2010 or so when I had my Pulsar 220, I had gotten the infamous Raceconepts exhaust for it, and after a few months of usage that is what happened with it too. Once the steel wool packing inside the exhaust starts to burn up the sound from the exhaust starts to get more shrill and tinny and obnoxious.
Still, just to be sure I asked Xaos636 if he felt the same this time around while riding the bike and he confirmed the same. Apparently, like me, he too wasn't sure if it was just in our heads. But as it turns out the sound has started to change with these cans.

Also, it's no secret that I don't like the way these end-cans look on the bike, and my hunt for a pair of Akra isn't any secret either. So now with the sound starting to change slightly and the fact that post the detail session the exhaust is kind of sticking out like a sore thumb I have finally decided that I will be getting the stock exhaust back on so that it will look much much better and not have to endure any unpleasant sound from the exhaust.

So that is exactly what I set out to do early Sunday morning. So rolled out my tools and got on working. Exhaust change on the R1 is a relatively simple job. Takes maybe 30 mins or so since it involves disassembling the tail panel with it being an under the tail exhaust.

Anyways I'll post a few pics I took while doing the job.

Ready for Sunday DIY
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3417.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3418.jpeg

The only tools you need for the job
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3421.jpeg

Sprayed a generous dose of Rust-off and let it soak in while I disassembled the rear panels
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3422.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3420.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3419.jpeg

Out with the LV in about 15 mins
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3423.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3424.jpeg

So this is something I have been meaning to redo. A rational amount of heat reflective tape was applied right under the panel of the rear subframe, this is the route along which the exhaust pipes snakes out. Helps in keeping the heat done from the rider. Over time the adhesive has started to come off and it kind of looks gross. So at some point will be getting them off and reapplying fresh ones soon.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3428.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3429.jpeg

I know these are only SS pipes but something about the coloration on the welds just makes me stare at them for way too long.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3426.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3425.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3427.jpeg

1 of the OEM exhaust is back on
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3430.jpeg

Fin!
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3435.jpeg

Managed to do the job and only broke 1 clip. I'd say not a bad day at all.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3434.jpeg

While all this was happening I got in the delivery of my new riding boots for the Tiger and the 250. The SMX6 is on its last legs before retiring it out, so I decided to get new boots for the normal riding so as to reduce the load on the SMX6 and make it last a bit longer before I zero in on the replacement for the SMX6 which will be exclusively used on the R1, being it is a purpose build boot for sports bike riding.
I had decided to go with Forma boots, I had finally saved up enough to buy the boots and they went out of stock, and with a long ride coming up within a few weeks, I did not have the luxury of waiting.
So looked at my other options which were the Falco Adventour 2, a few offerings from TCX, and the Gaerne boots.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3438.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3439.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3442.jpeg

As for the TCX, the required sizes were not available, and Gaerne too same problem. So finally it defaulted onto the Falco and luckily Customelements were having the required size in stock. So placed an order sometime last week and got it delivered today.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3440.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3443.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3445.jpeg

Fit is perfect, I use a 43 Size A* boot, and size 43 with Falco fits me just perfectly. The finish seems decent, but somehow I feel could be better. But these are my first adventure boots so I don't have a frame of reference here tbh. Wore and walked around in the boot for 10-15 mins, not too bad, will definitely need a few break-in rides before using it for long hauls. Will be posting my finding once that is done.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3441.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3444.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
The bike really looks like a million bucks post the detailing session
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I really don’t understand why manufacturers can’t offer better/premium brake setups even on their premium offerings. Bikes with so much power need the best braking system not to just stop faster but also go faster. I am sure you will enjoy riding the bike more and have better confidence with the Corsa Corta MC paired with the braided lines on the stock calipers.
I think for the year it was made it was probably what was best, I'm not sure what was the Brembo offerings available at that point. I'm still waiting for the MC to arrive to pair it with the EBC pads which I have with me ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Look at that beauty, if looks could kill. Absolute justice done to the bike, looks like a million bucks.

God bless Xasos, everyone needs a buddy like him. Even better the paint scheme of both your bikes is a bit identical match made in heave eh!!

Do let me know when ever you are in bangalore with this beauty I need to see it in person!
Thanks, man!
Yeah, somehow that ended up like that.
Sure man. I think I'll be back in Bangalore sometime soon and with the R1 itself for that. Will keep you in the loop.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 19:31   #323
BHPian

It's been almost 1 year since I have had a few parts on order with Yamaha India.
All the while reasons on why the parts weren't coming through have ranged from "It's Pandemic saaar" to "Some parts have arrived" to "Yamaha not accepting orders" and even "everything is backorder".
Multiple emails that I have sent to Yamaha India and Customer care also have been of no use apart from the standard no-reply automated emails in response.

So finally on the 23rd of last month or so during a discussion with Xaos636 on how pathetic the response from Yamaha has been on a whim, I decided to place an order from the US and to see how long it takes to reach here. Even if it meant incurring a heavy 42% customs duty to be paid. Now, mind you the prices of spares in the US are already almost double the prices for each item in India, the duty you pay is to directly bring you more ache din(Ok, I just had to do this. I'll stop it right here) so I was like, let it be, it's ok.

So I browsed a few sites, Revzilla doesn't ship OEM spares outside the US so that was out. Motosport was another site, they had a good amount of discounts for the parts I wanted but their whole checkout process was weird and felt sketchy so did not go for it. Finally went to Yamahpartshouse from Bennets online. These guys are the biggest OEM parts distributors or something along that line and they have parts for all Japanese bikes in exhaustive detail. Their shipping to India is some $66-70 and they offer no discounts on any parts.

Did some more research and they seemed to be the best bet and finally placed the order on the 23rd night. Parts got shipped on 28th via FedEx, reached Bangalore, and cleared customs on 29th itself.
But wait how could this be something involving me and spare parts and being in India that the story ends there, now it's FedEx's turn to screw around with me. It took 5 different CC tickets to be opened(that went nowhere) and a lot of waiting around before it finally arrived at my doorstep here. Now that even FedEx gave me the works and even charged me a "convenience fee" for the same(somehow I feel it should have been the other way round, but I digress).

So finally I have my hands on 2 parts(Yeah jumped all that hoops for this.) which are the Radiator reservoir and the Gear Position Sensor and O-ring.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3496.jpeg

So riddle me this, how did some parts that have been on backorder as per Yamaha India can be procured in 5-6 days flat from another part of the world. Parts being made and sent to India might be being made from some rare unobtanium material. After all the QA threshold to pass Yamaha India might be that high for sure, surely it can't be because Yamaha India doesn't give a hoot, right?

Anyways, now that that is done with and I finally have the parts, I am all set for the Cooling system to get rehauled and a permanent fix for the Gear Position Sensor.

But wait there's more. Yet another part that I had ordered a few months ago(1st June) and that arrived 2nd of this month was the R&G radiator guard.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3469.jpeg

I was initially planning to type out my experience with this too in a long post but considering what I have already typed out, I'll spare you guys this rant. I only feel sorry for deepfreak15 who had a live-update feed about the R&G ordeal which might have been a bit traumatizing now that I think of it
Sorry man!

Anyways now let's talk money spent.

R&G Radiator guard: Rs.6,500/-
Radiator guard: Rs.5,234/- ($49.99*73.75= 3686 + 1548 Duty)
Gear Position Sensor and O-ring: Rs.10,263/-($98*73.75= 7227.50 + 3035.5)

Anyways, Since I made you guys read through a whole lot of rant. Enjoy a few pics from a recent spring with the Tiger for the break-in ride of the Falco boots. Also met up with a friend who owns a ZX10R which has been featured on this thread before.

Can never get enough of this
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3454.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3457.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3462.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3467.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3460.jpeg

Is my obsession with Akrapovic something that needs to be consulted with a therapist? Asking for a friend.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3463.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3455.jpeg

Fin!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:27   #324
Senior - BHPian

Krishna, so happy to read about your escapades with your bike, shopping for parts and everything else. The hilarious way you share even frustrating experiences is absolutely top notch. You have the patience of a monk with your bike and with all the work you put in

Enjoy, safe riding and keep sharing your experiences with us so we may ride along.

Thank you

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 06:58   #325
BHPian

Quote:
It's been almost 1 year since I have had a few parts on order with Yamaha India. ...
So finally I have my hands on 2 parts(Yeah jumped all that hoops for this.) which are the Radiator reservoir and the Gear Position Sensor and O-ring.
Glad to see it's all coming together now. Now that you have the parts I think it will be worth finding someone with a 3D printer and the know how to make a few copies so you don't have to go through this again.

Quote:
I only feel sorry for deepfreak15 who had a live-update feed about the R&G ordeal which might have been a bit traumatizing now that I think of it
Sorry man!
Think nothing of it, you need someone to vent at once in a while, it's considered healthy. Also your experience serves as a good yardstick to guage the competence of importers. You must have the patience of a Saint though, if it were me I would have sold everything I owned and flown to Germany just to pick up that helmet.
Now if only there was someone who is passionate about motorcycles with the know how of our import rules *cough cough* no_fear, you listening? When are you opening a Desi Revzilla?
deepfreak15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 08:10   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Now if only there was someone who is passionate about motorcycles with the know how of our import rules *cough cough* no_fear, you listening? When are you opening a Desi Revzilla?
@Deepfreak - it's happening brother. The wheels are in motion. I am waiting for international travel to open up so I can meet the main honchos in Japan and Italy. Expect to get some stuff up and running from later part of Q1 2022.
no_fear is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:03   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Krishna, so happy to read about your escapades with your bike, shopping for parts and everything else. The hilarious way you share even frustrating experiences is absolutely top notch. You have the patience of a monk with your bike and with all the work you put in

Enjoy, safe riding and keep sharing your experiences with us so we may ride along.

Thank you

Cheers
As usual thanks for the kind words Cyborg! And I guess we are in a situation where we have no other option but to have patience. But yeah, does teach you to stay grounded for longer when before we would have already blown a fuse

Quote:
Think nothing of it, you need someone to vent at once in a while, it's considered healthy. Also your experience serves as a good yardstick to guage the competence of importers. You must have the patience of a Saint though, if it were me I would have sold everything I owned and flown to Germany just to pick up that helmet.
Haha...Like I said to Cyborg. I don't think I had any other option but to wait. With the R&G alone I had the option to cancel the order and get a refund but then again I would have had to do the waiting all over again with another importer. So I just chose to wait.

Quote:
Quote:
@Deepfreak - it's happening brother. The wheels are in motion. I am waiting for international travel to open up so I can meet the main honchos in Japan and Italy. Expect to get some stuff up and running from later part of Q1 2022.
Can't wait!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 00:10   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Give me a bit more time and I should start works on it . Lots of pics and maintenance works are there, no chance for putting it together in a single go, so I will try to make it short and sweet posts.
Eagerly waiting for your thread bro!! I am sure it will help many fellow owners in maintaining their bikes.

Quote:
I found the standard mode to be a bit more powerful at corner exits(noobie still, so please view in that way) where it even popped up wheelies if you gave the full throttle at exits. Then I switched to B mode and started to enjoy it a lot. I got a feeling that now its not capable of killing me, so lets enjoy the ride. I feel the tires could be better(Angel GT now) and could have given me a lot more confidence, not that I dint have any.
Well, I am in the same boat. Even I find the standard mode to be more than enough for me. I have actually switched to B mode a couple of times and felt I enjoyed it more. I have only engaged A mode once and only for 50 mtrs. One small throttle input on A mode and I decided it was not for me.

My recommendation for tires is simply go for Diablo Rosso 3s. Used it on my CBR and now using them on R1. The tire is little more aggressive profiled which helps the turn in and while on the side it is very confidence inspiring. Just need to be watchful to not do the same antiques when its wet. I tried and almost saw God in front of me.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:19   #329
BHPian

Tiger Tour/update Post(1/2)

After what feels like ages finally went on a proper solo tour. The destination was Goa, the reason was office work/meetup. Of Course, this wouldn't be a proper tour post with some very last-minute drama so here it is.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-1.jpeg

T-2 Days for the trip and I was getting ready to do the pre-trip inspection of the bike, well actually the main check-up and fluid levels and drivetrain checks were done 2 weeks prior and this was just a courtesy check to make sure no nasty surprises await and me surprise surprise the front tyre on the tiger has gone completely flat! I had no clue what had happened, I had done all the necessary checks about 2 weeks back and had put the bike away and it had been staying in the garage since then untouched. I was more afraid that since the tyre had been flat for a long time if the tyre had developed a flat spot and had become useless. Quickly inflated the tyre back to 36psi and inspected the tyre for any punctures/cuts or damage of any sort and to my surprise found nothing of the sorts, this made it even more puzzling. Looked for leaks along the bead and none to be found there too, so quickly made my mind to head to Cochin the next day(penultimate day to the trip) and have the tyre checked out and reseating if required or even replace the valve if it had become faulty. So I continued with the pre-ride inspection of the bike and thankfully no other surprises awaited me, I made a note to just reinspect the air pressure once again in the evening and found out that it had dropped 2 psi in a span of a few hours from 36 to 34psi. Bummed out I filled it back to 37psi and decided that I'll get the tyre reseated anyways and went about my day. Ended up covering an unplanned 287 kms in preparation for this trip at the very last moment.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3520.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3522.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3524.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3526.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3530.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3532.jpeg

Well, nothing much to report about the trip and the return journey as such. It was just mostly open NH48 roads which are arrow straight with the occasional crosswinds and took breaks after covering about 200kms at a time.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3534.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3536.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3537.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3538.jpeg

I do however have a few things to mention

1. Thanks to the super wide and empty (for some reason) highway of that the NH48 is I started noticing something peculiar, With the Rynox luggage bag on the rear seat and the Top box loaded to it's safest load rating(5kgs) the bike was quite stable even in heavy cross winds, but where I did feel a difference was under deceleration, on cutting out of the throttle the bike shed speed so quickly which I am guessing is because of the very un aerodynamic shape of the luggage I was hauling, which in some ways played into my hands as I did not have to worry much about braking on the highways, I could just use this extra drag I was getting to my advantage. It was also at this point that I realised that cruising at 110-115 was not as comfortable as I thought with the current luggage setup, the bike felt a bit jittery so I maintained my cruising speeds to 100-105 and I was all good.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3540.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_35401.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3543.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3553.jpeg

2.Another incident was thanks to Google maps, as usual Google maps decided to show me more of the countryside and re-routed me from the main highways on 2 occasions to save a few kms and took me through proper inner roads(barely any roads tbh) and that lead to a lot of unwanted attention, which is never fun. I guess they are not used to seeing something like this rolling around on their neck of the woods. Anyways while navigating one such broken roads, I failed to notice a significantly deep crater on the road and went into it maybe a bit too fast(I was still doing 20kmph maybe) and ended up bottoming out the front suspension and then a split second later a very heavy metal clank is what i heard, I felt my gut wrench, I was pretty sure I smacked the oil pan on the broken road and the sound was so bad it made me cringe. I was expecting the worst, stopped the bike immediately, and was half expecting to see a pool of oil on the road and expecting my ride to end right there. But luckily there seemed to be no damage at all, everything seemed fine and no cracks or leaks that I could see and no bends on the rims either(thankfully). At this point I realised how important a Sump/Bash plate is even for bikes with decent GC. Made a mental note to procure one as soon as I made it back home and continued my ride cautiously, taking enough brakes just to inspect for any leaks from the bottom of the bike.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3542.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3552.jpeg

Splitting posts as I cannot post more than 30 images in 1 post.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:47   #330
BHPian

Tiger Tour/update Post(2/2)

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3560.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3561.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3563.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3564.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3565.jpeg

3. Finally, got the chance to see the fully kitted out Isuzu D-Max pickup truck the Karnataka Police has recently taken up, which included proper off-road spec front and rear bumper, metal mesh covering on all windows, bulky stay pillar on the bed to mount what I am guessing is some sort of weaponry and a proper black paint job at that. Looked pretty awesome finding one rolling down the highway. I bet those cops love every opportunity they get to take these machines out.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3567.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3568.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3569.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3572.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3575.jpeg

4. Did not spend time exploring Goa as it was mainly a work trip and I had to be back home before the weekend so all I could get in was have a lot of seafood and 1-2 visits to the beach. During one such visit again I found that my front tyre had gone completely flat and I had to spend a few minutes to re-inflate it and by this time I have a fairly good idea what the issue is. I am pretty sure the valve in the front wheel is having some gunk build up in it(the dust cap top area has broken off slightly and is getting exposed to dust and grime) and at times when I am doing preventive checks on the tire pressure and when I remove the pressure gauge the valve is not fully returning to its closed state which is causing the slow but steady leak, and this is happening maybe 1 out of every 4-5 times that I do check the tyre pressure. So I need to get that sorted out pretty soon.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3577.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3580.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3581.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3582.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3584.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3587.jpeg

All in all, covered around 2154 KMS(Not including the Cochin run before the actual trip). Managed to blow through a few ODO milestones of 11k, 12k, and 13k during this trip. Missed out on clicking the 13,000 number on the odo though.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-odo1.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-odo2.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-odo3.jpeg

As you can see the bike was caked in mud and sand post the long haul so decided to give it a proper wash. I don't think I have washed any of my bikes in this detail in a long time. Having a dedicated wheel cleaner liquid helps ease the process a lot, the maxima chain degreaser also helps a lot make the job easy and effortless. 10/10 would suggest for anyone who is lazy like me.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3590.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3591.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3592.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3593.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3595.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3596.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3598.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3599.jpeg

The next few posts should be on the R1 and it's going to be DIY posts. Since I have finally received most of the parts I want for the Coolant system overhaul and a few cosmetic stuff I think I can safely get to it. But it might be delayed by a week or so more. Sorry about that.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3597.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3600.jpeg

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed