Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 17:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

Apparently, the weakest point of the R1 is still its brakes..at 2:40 onwards in the video

Last edited by bugatti : 28th January 2020 at 17:38.
bugatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:03   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Apparently, the weakest point of the R1 is still its brakes..at 2:40 onwards in the video
Yes. That is right.
First step towards improving that was the Steel Braided brake lines, which is already done.
The next step I am looking at is the EBC sintered pads. A set of the pads will cost me around Rs.3.9k and I will need 2. So that sets me back around 7k or so (Planning on ordering from MotoUsher).
And I am also looking into the Brembo Corsa Corta MC, it sits dearly at around 37k or so.

A few more stuff needs to be taken care of before I can save for it.

Cheers

Last edited by Sheel : 28th January 2020 at 19:10. Reason: Please avoid quoting video URL's in quoted post.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

So, now I know where all those drafting of pages and pages of ownership review went to. Dang! Nonetheless, congratulations once again on your lovely acquisition. Take care of her well, ride her well, and most of all, come here to Ooty, we have a big catch up pending.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 01:04   #34
BHPian

Hi Krishna,

Congratulations on getting your First Superbike! And Thank You for taking the time to write this review.

I am a fan of the looks of the R1 from that generation. Had first seen a picture of it in Autocar magazine years ago. Personally, I don't like the look of the new R1. I am surprised that by 2013 they did not have ABS on the bike whereas it has Traction Control modes.

May I ask if you have planned on buying any decent riding gear or already own it? Apologies if I have missed this in your review.

Wishing many happy and safe miles!
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 03:14   #35

Congrats and a nice ride, one of the beasts in the 90s. Recollect the big boys tearing down MGs during weekend late nights.
Hopefully someday when the bank balances are kind enough will hop onto one and ride into the horizon
A trusted garage in Blore means Joe's Garage Shivaji Nagar for the big bikes. You can go there. The man is a stickler for bikes, very knowledgable, friendly and trustworthy.
Safe and happy riding !

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th January 2020 at 03:37. Reason: Typo
tuhin11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 05:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
So, now I know where all those drafting of pages and pages of ownership review went to. Dang! Nonetheless, congratulations once again on your lovely acquisition. Take care of her well, ride her well, and most of all, come here to Ooty, we have a big catch up pending.

Cheers!
VJ
Haha..! Awesome to see you here macha.! Thanks a lot for your wishes. And Ooty is a sure shot visit soon, but can't even imagine coming there during weekends now, it's almost like the whole of Bangalore comes to Ooty during the weekends. Probably some weekday I can take a day off and come visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Hi Krishna,

Congratulations on getting your First Superbike! And Thank You for taking the time to write this review.

I am a fan of the looks of the R1 from that generation. Had first seen a picture of it in Autocar magazine years ago. Personally, I don't like the look of the new R1. I am surprised that by 2013 they did not have ABS on the bike whereas it has Traction Control modes.

May I ask if you have planned on buying any decent riding gear or already own it? Apologies if I have missed this in your review.

Wishing many happy and safe miles!
It's my pleasure to pen down my experience, always happy to do so. Even though I wasn't a fan of the 2015 onwards design it slowly started growing on me and I enjoy the looks of it now. But nothing can beat 2013-14 MY in the looks department. Adding the DRLs and the cut out at the bottom of the projector was the best decision done by Yamaha.
It is a puzzle as to why Yamaha chose to leave out ABS, the same year Fireblade comes with ABS iirc. If I'm not wrong the R1 got ABS after from the 2015 model onwards.

As for Gears, I am fully kitted since 2014 I should say.

Helmet:
Nexx XR2 Carbon(Almost fully retired, still has a year or so for it to hit its lifespan of 5 years)
AGV K1(Stopgap purchase, need to get a better one soon, saving up and zeroing in on the exact brand and model to get)

Gloves:
TBG Sport full gauntlet & ViaterraGear Holeshot

Riding Jacket:
Spartan Hyperion(Textile+Perforated Leather construction with upgraded armor)
Rynox Urban Jacket

Riding Pants:
Rynox Advento

Boots:
Alpinestars SMX6

A pair of leather Jacket and Riding pants are in the list of future purchases, but all in good time after all need time to save for these as well and from the way they are priced it's almost better to get them from outside India and will be mostly doing like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuhin11 View Post
Congrats and a nice ride, one of the beasts in the 90s. Recollect the big boys tearing down MGs during weekend late nights.
Hopefully someday when the bank balances are kind enough will hop onto one and ride into the horizon
A trusted garage in Blore means Joe's Garage Shivaji Nagar for the big bikes. You can go there. The man is a stickler for bikes, very knowledgable, friendly and trustworthy.
Safe and happy riding !
Hi tuhin, thanks for your wishes. Just imagining what it would have been like for a bunch of purely unrestricted machines zooming past at night would have sounded like. I really think the way the bikes sounded before all the emission norms and other regulations kicked in was just way much cooler.
I'm sure you will be getting one soon and relive the riding days.
I'm very aware of Joe's garage, he is very well known among the SBK community in South India. Have heard people going to him from KL, TN, and AP even for that matter.
I will keep that in mind too and pay a visit to the shop and see.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 06:48   #37
BHPian

Congratulations! Were you at HSR Layout Sector 2 (ICICI Bank) with the bike over the weekend?

Could have sworn that I saw the bike parked there with the owner explaining something to another guy!
sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 07:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Congratulations! Were you at HSR Layout Sector 2 (ICICI Bank) with the bike over the weekend?

Could have sworn that I saw the bike parked there with the owner explaining something to another guy!
Thanks a lot!
Last weekend? Then it's not me, even though I stay very close by. I was out of state on the weekend. I don't know if my brother was out with the bike or not, but unlikely.
But I have seen the exact same WGP edition bike in HSR while I was riding mine going the opposite way so it might have been that bike.
Talk about exclusivity, what are the chances of 2 limited edition bikes in the same area.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 29th January 2020, 10:33   #39
BHPian

Congratulations!, on your new steed. That too a limited edition. It sure looks good.

I am always amused by people owning super sports / litre class sports bikes in my home state of Kerala. I am also in awe of these bikers. Our roads, including the national highways that pass through simply does not allow us to enjoy any superbike properly. There are hardly any open stretches where we can belt out the bike during daylight hours. Must be frustrating to not be able to open up the litre class and feel it in all its glory. But I guess you have the option of riding in KA too, where I suspect you might not have the traffic issues as in Kerala, at least on the SH and NH roads.
I have come across another R1 from Trivandrum side as well, the owner is in our Super bikers group. Although I am not sure of that bikes vintage.

A dream is a dream, it is always good when it is realised. I am sure you will enjoy many miles on the bike. I would recommend that you take some lessons for track riding and enjoy the beast on the track, the way its meant to be enjoyed.

Ride safe and have fun with your beast. Have you named it yet?

Cheerio!
Old 29th January 2020, 11:08   #40
BHPian

Congratulations! Was the previous owner a member of the superbike group in Tvm? Best wishes and cheers to safe and enjoyable rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
...To be honest, The hunt for non-KA vehicles has cooled down quite a bit nowadays. I have not faced any problem with my other vehicles which are also KL. As long as you manage to stay under the radar it should be fine...
You're lucky. Back in the very early 2000s, Hoysalas and Cheetahs used to hunt us down. I was studying in Hosur at the time but each trip to Bangalore was nerve wracking.
After moving to Bangalore for work I was finally caught and fined for an out of state registered bike and ended up paying lifetime tax in KA while I still had lifetime tax paid in KL.
I gave up on getting a refund when I had to leave Bangalore.
BloggerMathai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations!, on your new steed. That too a limited edition. It sure looks good.

I am always amused by people owning super sports / litre class sports bikes in my home state of Kerala. I am also in awe of these bikers. Our roads, including the national highways that pass through simply does not allow us to enjoy any superbike properly. There are hardly any open stretches where we can belt out the bike during daylight hours. Must be frustrating to not be able to open up the litre class and feel it in all its glory. But I guess you have the option of riding in KA too, where I suspect you might not have the traffic issues as in Kerala, at least on the SH and NH roads.
I have come across another R1 from Trivandrum side as well, the owner is in our Super bikers group. Although I am not sure of that bikes vintage.

A dream is a dream, it is always good when it is realised. I am sure you will enjoy many miles on the bike. I would recommend that you take some lessons for track riding and enjoy the beast on the track, the way its meant to be enjoyed.

Ride safe and have fun with your beast. Have you named it yet?

Cheerio!
Thanks a lot!

Very true but being in rural areas we do have to our advantage some really well maintained back roads with little to no traffic that we can exploit to enjoy riding, it might not necessarily be fast-paced roads, but speed isn't everything so its quite okay.
The TN highways are some really good roads when the roads are dry.
I guess TVM has a few R1 residing and being used pretty well.

Track riding lessons is something that has to be done. CSS is getting quite expensive each year but will be trying out some other riding schools.

I haven't named it yet, but I usually do not name any of my vehicles, as much passionate I am about cars and bikes, naming them is something that just did not stick on with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerMathai View Post
Congratulations! Was the previous owner a member of the superbike group in Tvm? Best wishes and cheers to safe and enjoyable rides!

You're lucky. Back in the very early 2000s, Hoysalas and Cheetahs used to hunt us down. I was studying in Hosur at the time but each trip to Bangalore was nerve wracking.
After moving to Bangalore for work I was finally caught and fined for an out of state registered bike and ended up paying lifetime tax in KA while I still had lifetime tax paid in KL.
I gave up on getting a refund when I had to leave Bangalore.
Thanks a lot!

I don't think the previous owner was part of any SBK groups, not that I know of. The 2014-15 period was also full of cops hunting down non-ka vehicles and fining them, it got to a point where RTO officials made their way into apartment parking and serving notices even as per some report during that time. Somehow I managed to get by without any issues yet. I guess I was just plain lucky during the years. And since I rarely commute in my own vehicles anymore I have very few run-ins with Police of any sort so no worries there.
Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:52   #42
BHPian

Congratulations on picking up a pretty clean machine buddy. Its always a special feeling getting your first litre bike and that too a supersport while at it. Get your self some top-notch riding gear and dont forget to hit the track once in a while on her. You will discover a totally different side to the bike there.
Old 29th January 2020, 15:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Congratulations on picking up a pretty clean machine buddy. Its always a special feeling getting your first litre bike and that too a supersport while at it. Get your self some top-notch riding gear and dont forget to hit the track once in a while on her. You will discover a totally different side to the bike there.
Thanks a lot, man. BTW I have been reading and following your 650 and 10R thread right from the beginning, even before I was a member here. Really appreciate the detail documentation you did in those thread along with the tasteful mods too.
Hope to see more posts from you there.

And yes track riding school is happening. 2020 is the year hopefully when I'll do it.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:53   #44
BHPian

Congratulations on the beast. The R1 has been my dream bike since the day I first set eyes on one in 2003. Absolutely love the way it looks and sounds.

Cheers and wishing you many happy miles on the beast.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Looking good.

2004 R1 was my second favourite bike after Godzilla. It was the first motorcycle that claimed a 1.1 power to weight ratio and was a beauty to look at for its time.
I have extensively ridden the r1 and have always liked it. The cross plane ofcourse is an acquired taste. Not my taste but I know a few who like it.

Have a good time with it. Its going to be a fun ride.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed