Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 07:06   #256
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Those are some lovely and thoughtful purchases.

I'd recommend when adding new brake fluid do try and procure the the Motul RBF660, Maxima 600 or the Castrol SRF. These have a higher boiling point and should work better with the Corsa Corta.
Plus with your new pads you should feel a massive difference in feel. Have you got braided lines as well?
Hi Odeen, Thanks a lot for the lovely words.

Thanks for the brake fluid suggestion. I have been using the LiquiMoly Dot 4 so far. I did try 5.1 for a brief moment too. Will keep these in mind while I do the swap.
And yes, The bike is already running Spiegler braided lines so I'm covered there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
I catch myself using these adjusters every-time i clean my chain. So much easier to maintain that chain tension. This purchase justifies itself

Superb stuff!! Will wait to see how they look on the bike!
Haha.!! I'm so glad to hear that. I was doubting myself on the purchase but with this, I can redeem myself.
The only issue now is I too have to wait to get my hands on these goodies. Dang it!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:13   #257
Senior - BHPian

The Brembo Corsa Corta are pure Black/grey gold and Mallu’s don’t need to justify their gold purchases ever

You mentioned you paid 37k for these? Does that include customs and shipping?

When I was looking at the 19 RCS for the Busa the price was in the range of €205 to € 262 depending on the variant you decide.

This price was with free shipping to US from a website called CarpiMoto.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:20   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
The Brembo Corsa Corta are pure Black/grey gold and Mallu’s don’t need to justify their gold purchases ever

I don't think Krishna is much into gold. Else he would have gold coated his R1 rims. Although judging by his recent spending, he is singlehandedly holding up Kerala's GDP.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:21   #259
BHPian

Krishna, awesome updates as always. I am lusting after that chain adjuster- its so beautiful. Thankfully, the stock brakes on the RS are so good that I don't think I will ever have to upgrade those and save some cash there!

Awaiting feedback on the Samco hoses. I am planning to get them for the RS- I know a lot of people will say that the naked does not really need them but better parts never hurt, right! The OE Triumph hoses are just about average and Triumph recommends a change every 4 years, so I might as well get something substantially better.

Could you please also let me know if you sourced them directly or through a dealer? Would be useful for me to order accordingly then.

Cheers!
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 29th June 2021 at 10:22.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:43   #260
BHPian

Quote:

As much as that is true in general, I for one hate the sight of gold, I do not own a single piece of gold yet. Never liked it. I can appreciate it when used judiciously though on Bikes and cars.

Quote:
You mentioned you paid 37k for these? Does that include customs and shipping?
Nope, I ordered via RevZilla to a friend's place in the US, he will be carrying it down for me. So it cost me about 29.xx K all inclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post

I don't think Krishna is much into gold. Else he would have gold coated his R1 rims.
Spot on mate! Though I have to say gold rims with the white and red do sound appealing but I have a lot of pushback from within myself for it. So the wheels will be getting a fresh lease of life in the OEM black itself in due time(whenever a tyre change is due it will be done.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Although judging by his recent spending, he is singlehandedly holding up Kerala's GDP.
Yikes, I guess with the taxes we pay for Petrol I'd say close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Krishna, awesome updates as always. I am lusting after that chain adjuster- its so beautiful. Thankfully, the stock brakes on the RS are so good that I don't think I will ever have to upgrade those and save some cash there!
Couldn't agree more, test rode the RS recently and was just blown away at how good the braking package it comes right from the factory. Definitely, no improvement required. And for the Lightech, yeah..the finishing on them looks exquisite even in pics. Can't wait to get them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Awaiting feedback on the Samco hoses. I am planning to get them for the RS- I know a lot of people will say that the naked does not really need them but better parts never hurt, right! The OE Triumph hoses are just about average and Triumph recommends a change every 4 years, so I might as well get something substantially better.
Could you please also let me know if you sourced them directly or through a dealer? Would be useful for me to order accordingly then.

Cheers!
Rohan
Silicone hoses are never really "required" but it is sort of an insurance item imo. While the silicone does facilitate better flow of coolant compared to rubber hose and also heat transfer is also better the single most factor in its favor is that resistance to hardening or cracking over multiple heat cycles. If installed properly the silicone hoses can outlast the bike as compared to the rubber hoses which go bad over a few years.
Yet again, parts were sourced from Revzilla, a friend carried it down. There are a few stores in India that will arrange them for you but obviously, you will have to pay a premium for it or be willing to pay the customs duty on it, which would be around 42% of the shipment value IIRC.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 14:14   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Silicone hoses are never really "required" but it is sort of an insurance item imo. While the silicone does facilitate better flow of coolant compared to rubber hose and also heat transfer is also better the single most factor in its favor is that resistance to hardening or cracking over multiple heat cycles. If installed properly the silicone hoses can outlast the bike as compared to the rubber hoses which go bad over a few years.
What you have said makes a lot of sense. Have ordered mine today along with the clamp set and hopefully should be here in 4-6 weeks time. Ordered through Bikegear.in as my previous experience with them for the Akrapovic exhaust was brilliant as well. I want to keep the bike with me for 4-5 years more and this is a step in the right direction.
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 17:42   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As much as that is true in general, I for one hate the sight of gold, I do not own a single piece of gold yet. Never liked it. I can appreciate it when used judiciously though on Bikes and cars.
Yup, put for a purpose like in the McLaren F1 and if painted just to the enhance for the visuals than should be tastefully done.

Quote:
Nope, I ordered via RevZilla to a friend's place in the US, he will be carrying it down for me. So it cost me about 29.xx K all inclusive.
Ok. What about the reservoir you plan to use the current one on the bike? Also, on the R1 doesn't look like you would have an issue with the reservoir hitting the fairing while turning, which was the case on the Busa.

I almost took the plunge but then to do justice to the kit you need to delete the ABS completely, which is one the reason which contributes to weak braking and feel on Gen 2 and also on the Gen 3 even with the stylema calipers.

Also, do you shop on any other website apart from RevZilla? I have tried Demon Tweeks based out of UK in the past and was recommended motosport.com by another member.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 18:39   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. What about the reservoir you plan to use the current one on the bike? Also, on the R1 doesn't look like you would have an issue with the reservoir hitting the fairing while turning, which was the case on the Busa.

Also, do you shop on any other website apart from RevZilla? I have tried Demon Tweeks based out of UK in the past and was recommended motosport.com by another member.
I have the Brembo front reservoir kit also purchased beforehand (Budget prioritizing, don't ask ), all user reviews say that when getting the RCS19 you need to purchase the kit as well.

Revzilla, Sport Bike Track Gear, Motovation the most commonly visited ones by me as they are pretty well-known sites and trustworthy. Motomillion is the site to be for the Ducati and other Italian boys . For OEM parts any of the relevant Babbitts online parts house websites will come in handy for the Japanese bikes.

Will keep the ones you said in mind too. Haven't visited any of those websites yet. Will have a look.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 11:56   #264

Phew.. Just flew through the whole thread!
Amazing bike there Krishna! I am contemplating a buy myself, hence reached this post(became a member here just for this). I am super intimidated by your knowledge and DIY skills you have posted, so much that I am getting a little cold feet
Hope to catch you sometime here in BLR!
sumanthkn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 20:09   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanthkn View Post
Phew.. Just flew through the whole thread!
Amazing bike there Krishna!
Thanks for the kind words mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanthkn View Post
I am contemplating a buy myself, hence reached this post(became a member here just for this). I am super intimidated by your knowledge and DIY skills you have posted, so much that I am getting a little cold feet
Hope to catch you sometime here in BLR!
Oh boy! You should not feel intimidated at all, if anything you should feel more confident that we normal folks can also work on big bikes. I do take the help of my similarly DIY interested friends, I have no shame in admitting that, it's a learning curve that's a very fun one to ride out.
My only gripe is getting parts, the pandemic has really screwed up that part for me, almost everything else is pretty manageable.

Anyways, lots more posts are to come in soon as I slowly get my hands on parts both OEM and aftermarket. Will update the space soon.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 24th July 2021, 09:05   #266
BHPian

Yet another month has passed by and no riding at all on the R1.
Weekend lockdown continues down here in Kerala, I think we are towards the end of 3 months of this lockdown.
Been pretty busy with work on weekdays so no scope of riding and when I do have the time it is raining pretty heavily so I don't usually step out.

I did, however, get a chance to ride the Tiger during one of the recent weekends when restrictions were lifted for a day or two. Caught up with Xasos636 and rode to Cochin to get some work done on his 650F. Did not click many pics, concentrated on enjoying the ride because I don't know how long this weekend lockdown was going to be, and also it was a full-on rain ride where both of us got drenched to our bones.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3049.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3050.jpeg
Also happened to catch up with Neil too when he came over to a mutual friend's place.

Anyways, since no riding is happening, most of the spare time is spent as usual on Bike Parts/Riding gear websites (as usual, some pretty stupid financial decisions have been made).

Anyways with all this waiting some of the parts that I ordered have started coming in and getting shipped to me. No, it's not the OEM parts, Yamaha is taking their own sweet time, as usual, further followups with my mech and he seemed to be more frustrated because he has a few R15's waiting for some parts for close to 3 months now apparently. Not going to lie it did make me feel a bit better but also makes me wonder what is Yamaha India doing? I guess the new sticker scheme for the Nth facelifted R15 and FZ/MT variants won't design themselves, after all, it is more important than spare parts and supply chain logistics.

The parts that I did get delivered to me are the EBC double sintered brake pads for the front and rear rotors and the LSL frame sliders. Procured both from Motousher.

I know I know, I should have been a professional photographer instead of an engineer.
Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3034.jpeg

EBC is anyways a pretty well-known brand so I am not going to get into it. As far as costs are concerned.
EBC Double Sintered Brake pads Front (FA442/4HH): Rs.8800/-(For both rotors combined)
EBC Double Sintered Brake pads Rear (FA174HH): Rs.2999/-

About LSL, I was pretty alien to this brand and tbh I am not a big fan of the way they look. But on doing some research I found that they are a German company and seems to be very popular in the EU region and all of their products are TUV approved which makes me inclined to think that they were developed with proper R&D into them as opposed to some generic brand Frame sliders which might cause more harm than good. Another good thing I found about the LSL sliders is that the slider pucks are easily and more importantly relatively cheaply available in the case I need to get them replaced post an incident.

The exact part number that suited my bike was not available with Motousher but they take custom orders on brands that they carry so they were happy to place a custom order for me and I got it within the 5-8 weeks of wait time that they have in their policy.

As for the price of the frame slider set(adapters+ actual sliders)
LSL Frame sliders(Part No 550Y120.1): Rs.12,644/-

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3091.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3092.jpeg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img_3093.jpeg

I am not sure when I will get the chance to get them fitted. I won't be able to do it alone since it involves removing the existing engine mounts and I need to make sure things are torqued to spec so will be going to my friends place as he has a torque wrench and moreover I get an extra set of hands to work on the bike. As for the pads, whenever I get my hands on the Brembo MC the pads will go on then.

Maybe I should seriously consider buying a torque wrench.

I am expecting a few more parts to arrive in the coming weeks. I will post updates as and when parts arrive as I don't expect much of riding to take place for at least a month or more till restrictions loosen up and monsoons settle down a bit.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:24   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The parts that I did get delivered to me are the EBC double sintered brake pads from Motousher.
I am yet to put on my EBC pads as the stock one still have life left in them when the bike was serviced in March this year and hardly have ridden it post that.

Also, member @bigron suggested I try EBC EPFA's, which are better then the double sintered ones. But looking at the current scheme of things it would take another 5 years till I use up the current pair of double sintered pads
SnS_12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:39   #268
BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to put on my EBC pads as the stock one still have life left in them when the bike was serviced in March this year and hardly have ridden it post that.

Also, member @bigron suggested I try EBC EPFA's, which are better then the double sintered ones. But looking at the current scheme of things it would take another 5 years till I use up the current pair of double sintered pads
Ah yes. I had posted a few pages back trying to decide which to get b/w the EPFA or the regular Double sintered that EBC provides. A bit of reading around and suggestions from few members came back that unless I am really looking at a lot of track time the Double sintered should give enough bump in stopping power and bite. That combined with the MC upgrade should make me happy I think.
Not to mention the price difference of the 2 also.

I am on the same boat as you about using the EBCs, my stock pads have enough life in them as of now, but I might just change them soon.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 24th July 2021, 16:01   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That combined with the MC upgrade should make me happy I think.
Not to mention the price difference of the 2 also.

I am on the same boat as you about using the EBCs, my stock pads have enough life in them as of now, but I might just change them soon.
With that Brembo MC, pads and braided lines you will have one finger stopping and can break really late just the way I like it.

I wanted to upgrade the MC as well as I had mentioned earlier as my brake lever feels like a second clutch. But with ABS I just don’t want to invest so much money which will not offer me the end result I desire.

Post monsoon I plan to have the brake and clutch fluid drained and serviced and ideally will change it then and might try to add on a few kms before that.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 23:02   #270
BHPian

Quote:
With that Brembo MC, pads and braided lines you will have one finger stopping and can break really late just the way I like it.
Totally agreed on this one!! Just got this upgrade done on my R1 and boy the brakes have totally transformed. You don't even feel you are applying brakes.

Will post my detailed feedback soon.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed