Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2007, 11:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha R1 and R6 by year end.

this was shown yesturday on cnbc tv-18 in the evening:

Quote:
After Kawasaki, could a Yamaha-Bajaj alliance be in the offing? While loss-ridden Yamaha doesn't deny the possibility, it is giving the Indian market a last shot. CNBC-TV18 says Yamaha plans to put in another Rs 800 crore and may churn out a 250 cc bike at the next Auto Expo.

Inpsite of six tough, loss-ridden years, Japan's Yamaha refuses to exit India. Denying the reports, Yamaha's new Managing Director, T Ishikawa, better known as the man who turned around Yamaha's Thai operations says the company is in the process of realigning its India strategy.

In the pipeline, is to create a niche market in the 200 to 250 cc category. Yamaha is also exploring the possibility of hitting the market with high-end performance bikes. CNBC-TV18 learns Yamaha may unveil its new bike in the Auto Expo 2008. But can a company siitting on accumulated losses of Rs 1000 crore ignore volumes?

T Ishikawa, MD, Yamaha Motor India says, "When I joined in Thailand, things were just like what they are in India. Cost and features is what they looked at then i introduced unique models , created niche market. All we did was tried to sell lifestyle not just product."

So, its official now, Yamaha is not exiting the Indian market. In fact, they have adopted a new startegy for Indian market - they are pumping in Rs 800 crore over the next four years and will ramp up the capacity from the existing 3 lakh units to 10 lakh units by 2010.

While Yamaha is giving India another shot, the market is abuzz with rumours of a possibility of a Bajaj - Yamaha alliance. While the company has not denied a possible tie-up, the timing may be bit premature.

"I respect Rajiv Bajaj, like him we have met from time to time, but no business at this time, nothing concrete. If we could, not too bad, but not at this time," said T Ishikawa.

So alliance or no allaince, Yamaha will bring in R1 and R6 by the end of the year. But its plans to launch a scooter seem to have been shelved for now.
Its would work well for yamaha to get a tie up with bajaj because of the service network bajaj has today. (follow the fiat example, yamaha is already being compared with fiat here)

source: Moneycontrol India :: News :: Yamaha may race one last lap in India :: :: Business :: Yamaha- Bajaj ,T Ishikawa,Yamaha Motor India,Rajiv Bajaj
Old 5th March 2007, 12:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

deja vu?????

hallelujah-yamaha-launch-r1-r6-india

We've been through this many times already! Heck, I'm sure they built Rome in lesser time than it takes our manufacturers to wake up and start selling good bikes here.
Old 5th March 2007, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yawn!
At Every press meet,they say this.
Maybe just to show off,i guess!
Old 5th March 2007, 12:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
deja vu?????

We've been through this many times already! Heck, I'm sure they built Rome in lesser time than it takes our manufacturers to wake up and start selling good bikes here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yawn!
At Every press meet,they say this.
Maybe just to show off,i guess!
hey it says as 2009 as the launch date, so whats wrong with their latest announcement.
Old 5th March 2007, 14:41   #5
BHPian

Heck....forget the 600s & 1000 cc hypersports machines (R6 & R1). First bring in bikes in the 250 - 400 cc range. Give the customer some choices in sports / cruiser / bruiser styles....price them in the 2 - 4 lakh range and probably Yamaha will start selling some bikes.

The Indian bike market now wants some "lifestyle / exciting" models not the run-of-the-mill econo-commuters.

Give me the R6 / R1....heck give me anything over 400cc and I'll be the first to book it.
Old 6th March 2007, 15:43   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent, but that will only be step 1 solved. How much are they going to price it at? If its a CBU, I hope the price tag is not like the CBU-Camry-on-two-wheels.
Old 6th March 2007, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Hey finally some gud news to hear from Yamaha's end...Hope they come up with some bikes in the 250 cc to 500 cc category...
Old 6th March 2007, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

even if they do release some bikes from 250 to 500 cc..the point to ponder here is that whether a normal person will be able to handle the power... A normal person goes not more than 40 kmph ( very very annoying) wont these so called powerfull bikes get overheated????? and then cause mileage problems / wear and tear / more maintainence thereby pushing the crowd away again from these vehicles.

Godfather
Old 6th March 2007, 17:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

The regular commuter is not going to be interested in a 400 or even 250cc bike. He is happy with his Hero Honda Splendor, +, dawn, etc. that gets him a mileage of about 2204 to the liter. These bikes are really not aimed at them.

These will sell in limited numbers, just as the Accord sells less than a Honda City. And the S class sells less than an E, and the E sells less than the C etc etc.

About the over heating...does a 500bhp M5 get over heated in day to day traffic? Neither will a liquid cooled bike.

All we ask for is to give us a choice. Not everyone wants to ride an economiser. Not everyone rides a 2 wheeler only because they cannot afford something with 4 wheels. There are many people who ride out of choice. Just give us the darn chance will ya (bike makers)!!
Old 6th March 2007, 17:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All we ask for is to give us a choice. Just give us the darn chance will ya (bike makers)!!
How much do you think the R6 and the R1 would cost.. complete with registration + import duty??

Godfather
Old 6th March 2007, 17:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

SBKs after closing shop ??

Quote:
deja vu?????

Eggzactly my view on this.. Btw I dont know how many of you came across this report

Yamaha may shut shop if numbers don't improve

Dont know which one to believe
Old 6th March 2007, 18:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Eggzactly my view on this.. Btw I dont know how many of you came across this report

Dont know which one to believe
Techno ...
Yamaha is doing hallelujah-yamaha-launch-r1-r6-india
so that they dont have to

Godfather
Old 6th March 2007, 18:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Lol they are not able to sell their 125 & 150 cc I sincerely hope they do well with Rs I would be sad to see it go the BMW way :|
Old 6th March 2007, 18:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Lol they are not able to sell their 125 & 150 cc I sincerely hope they do well with Rs I would be sad to see it go the BMW way :|
BMW was a completely different story.
They released the f650 when people were not ready and at a price where few who understood what the potential of these bikes are could afford.

Now most of the cities are having a lot of imports and there are people who are now coming into the buying range(read deep pockets) majorly created by the software industries and land prices boom..

Godfather
Old 6th March 2007, 19:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the over heating...does a 500bhp M5 get over heated in day to day traffic?
Errr....Rtech - they do. Dont know how well kept they were, but I've seen 2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks