Team-BHP - 2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/218555-2019-annual-report-card-superbikes-imports.html)

The low volume market for Superbikes and Imports in the country doesn’t allow for a meaningful monthly analysis of their sales data. However, the same over a longer period of a full year makes for a healthy discussion - and with that goal in mind, below is the 2019 annual report and analysis of the premium two-wheeler market in India.

Note -

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-total_sales_premium_motorcycles_yoy.png

5350 premium motorcycles were sold in the year 2019. The market was down by 17% compared to 2018, with all brands except Suzuki (courtesy: the evergreen Hayabusa) ending up with a decline in sales.

Top 20 Premium bikes by sales volume

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-top_20_premium_bikes_sales_volume.png

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-top5superbikesimages.png

Top 20 Premium bikes by sales revenue

In a list containing products from 2.5L all the way up to 49.9L, just looking at the volumes without considering the pricing doesn't give the full picture. Given below are the top 20 products that brought in maximum revenue to their respective manufactures -

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-top_20_premium_bikes_approx_revenue.png

Manufacturer Market Share and Trends

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-marketshare_volume.png

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-manufacturer_sales_trends.png

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-marketshare_revenue.png

Premium Motorcycle sales - Sorted by price.

The below graph gives a clear picture of which products have really caught the fascination of the market, at various price points.

Note - The leftmost product is 5.34L ex-showroom, whereas the rightmost product is 49.5L ex-showroom.

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-premium_motorcycle_sales_sorted_price.png

Marketshare details - by segment and type of motorcycles.

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-marketshare_by_type.png

Harley Davidson

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-1.jpg

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-harley-davidson.png

Kawasaki

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-kawasaki-z900.jpg

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-kawasaki.png

Triumph

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-banner3.jpg

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-triumph.png

Suzuki

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-hayabusabig5min.jpg

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-suzuki.png

Honda

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-hondacbr.jpg

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-honda.png

2019 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-sales_superbikes_2019.png

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Wow never knew that the Z900 was so popular! No wonder so many accessories were available compared to my z650.

The Z650 was kawasakis least sold mass market bike behind the exotic H2s and the like. No wonder I got such a good discount with such poor sales. The Harley 750 overall sales are crazy considering I couldn't stand that bike aside from the exhaust note. The bike was pretty small, but still very heavy, build was very average as well considering the price and the engine could bake your legs if you encounter even a little traffic.

I believe you could also consider the RE Twins.

Commendable job by the Hayabusa. Man this machine still attracts people.

Thanks for sharing CD, great job in compiling the data and putting it together in an easy to understand format.

While BMW's two wheeler numbers are not made available to AutoPunditz, it is easy to find their overall sales figures for the year from their press release. They delivered to Indian customers (and not to dealers, like the other numbers) a total of 2,403 motorcycles. Over 85% of this comes from the small 310 twins, that translates to at least 2,043 units out of the 2,403. That leaves us with 360 actual superbikes and imports from BMW for the year, which puts them in second last place as of now.

I suspect Ducati will occupy one out of the bottom two places for 2019. If I had to bet my money, it would fall below Honda. It wasnt a stellar year for the brand around the world either. The really good news for Ducati is that 2020 has started off on a great note with the price corrected motorcycles selling rather well. I look forward to them jumping up the ranks in next years report!

Any idea why Indian touring bikes could not find a spot in the list ? Scout Sixtyr and HD Fatbob prices might be similar right (or cheaper )? Is it because the brand is still unknown in our country ? Many a times when I appreciate the bike people around me frown thinking I am praising a Hero Honda lol: