Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 13:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Govt. proposes duty cut for Harley Davidson bikes

This is more of a PR thing for trump. He's been talking a out High tariffs for HD bikes for a long time. Getting this done while economically insignificant will give a BIG PR boost to Trump among his white Fanbase. He can brag that he got done what previous presidents could never do I.e. force India to reduce tariffs and got a GOOD DEAL.
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 08:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Trump could only think of harley could he not think of Tesla, lot more people would have been happy if model 3 or Y came to India or even Tesla power packs.
I couldn’t agree more ! Giving Tesla, and specifically the model 3 an unfair advantage, is just the kind of market distortion I am fully in favour of !

I’m not a bike enthusiast, but I would wonder how many of you riders consider HD aspirational any more ? Genuine question. I read somewhere that it’s beginning to lose its appeal across segments.
Old 21st February 2020, 03:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

EV components and EV duties are hiked. To get more concessions, govt should highlight this, and then create a new category of passenger vehicles too with 6L+ engines. 0% duty. So Ford can sell SVT Raptor in India for only 45L Ex showroom

And the only change we will have to adjust is say liters per kilometer instead of kilometers per liter
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 05:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Never thought I'd see a current relevance for the phrase:

"If they can't have bread, let them eat cake."
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:16   #20
BHPian

So, the US gets to export Harley Davidsons and India gets to export some Indians! Not so bad a deal if you asked me..
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:14   #21
BHPian

India will still have the option to jack up the GST, surcharge, various cess and road tax for this 1600+ cc segment to more than compensate the import tariff cut. That way, everyone will be happy.
Old 4th August 2020, 12:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

So, India wanted the Visa fees to be cut in return for reduction in taxes and duties of Harley Davidson bikes, which didn't happen.

Infact the US didn't just stop at increasing the Visa fees for L1, H1, & H1B sharply just a few days back, but OTOH signed an executive order preventing federal agencies from contracting or subcontracting foreign workers mainly those on H-1B visa, from hiring. Important to note that while the number may seem small, apparently most of federal & state offices hire(d) those holding H1B visas, on contract.

Anyway, I personally don't think Indian foreign policy is to react impulsively with a retaliation, so I'm not sure if the Bikes would likely be taxed as earlier.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th August 2020 at 12:54. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th August 2020, 22:48   #23
RMN
BHPian

Strange but honestly India doesn't have much to lose anyway, right? HD sales has been depreciating (at least worldwide) and I doubt a price cut for a few models with set their sales of fire anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks