Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2020, 21:44   #16
BHPian

re: My Pre-Owned Kawasaki Ninja 650 | EDIT: Sold and bought back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
... I honestly don’t like to gun the bike, am more of a 80-90km an hour cruiser no matter how open the roads are. Although I know that’s not an excuse. But something I have to live with.
Which bike did you land up buying?
That's a very responsible way to ride given our Indian roads. So many people buy these bikes are ride it flat out just because it can.

I personally wanted a Yamaha R3 but that was out of stock everywhere and the Ninja 400 was too cramped for my height and weight. I finally got a Z650 for a great price of 5.5l new given that BS6 norms were coming in. It was waaaay over my budget but such a deal was too good to resist. I got a naked because this is my only bike so it will have to deal with riding in traffic along with good roads.

Love the bike and the brakes but that #$#%^$@ ground clearance is a big pain. I once rode solo for just 4 kms where there were some 10 speed breakers and my bike hit EIGHT of them ! I ordered for a MIVV exhaust pre lockdown but don't know when it will turn up now.

You are lucky to have a good riding group in Pune. Don't know of any such groups here in Mumbai except for RE Bullet only groups.
Old 9th April 2020, 22:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
I ordered for a MIVV exhaust pre lockdown but don't know when it will turn up now.
Off topic - Is it the Mivv MK3 because that's the only one that will give you the ground clearance you desire - since the design is upswept with absolutely nothing 'underbelly'. But more importantly, have you heard it - in person (and not sound clips)? From experience, I have - and its terrible (with the db killer; without baffle and you can kill someone).

I almost zeroed in on the Scorpion exhaust - which seemed to be better sounding (bassier but loud) but costlier than the Mivv and also with full system exhausts there are chances of running lean and you'd need to get it tuned. I had discussed it here with Bhpian Narula123 : Discussion on Scorpion Exhaust + Tuner (The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650). Post lockdown, if you get a chance to hear them both in person - that'll be the ideal scenario!

But also, congratulations to Hamza123 for the beast that is the N650 (older model does seem intimidating as compared to the 2017+ ones). For brakes, you could swap the OEM with EBC brake pads - know many who have switched with zero complaints. Considering your riding style and speeds, it would be beneficial. Also, you could try getting your suspension setup (fork oil grade and rear pre-load) customised according to your weight, riding style and road conditions. This can help marginally (slightly) in ground clearance as well as changing your tire profiles. Hope you clock more kms than the first owner once the lockdown and 'new normalcy' comes into place
TheVaas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 22:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations and welcome to the Kawasaki family.

Ninja 650 has always been a VFM machine and a good allrounder if the braking is sorted. Please do consider an upgrade to better quality brake pads and steel-braided lines. The braking can take you by surprise at times, even at speeds of 100kmph.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th April 2020 at 22:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 23:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Off topic - Is it the Mivv MK3 because that's the only one that will give you the ground clearance you desire - since the design is upswept with absolutely nothing 'underbelly'. But more importantly, have you heard it - in person (and not sound clips)? From experience, I have - and its terrible (with the db killer; without baffle and you can kill someone).
Can't send you a PM so sorry to everyone for the OT post.
Yup you are right its the Mk3 and honestly I got it for a very good deal of 35k so I went ahead with it. Can't back out now as the guy I paid money to already ordered the exhaust from Italy so I have to live with it whenever it finally comes. I don't think ill mind it too much as long as its not too loud with the DB killer. Yes a Scorpion exhaust will sound better but its a LOT more expensive and my only reason of getting an exhaust is to fix the stupid ground clearance issue as I actually started liking the stock sound after using the bike for a while.

Hopefully the exhaust will fix the second of my major problems the first being the seat which I need to modify like you had done it to your Z650.

Other than the seat and ground clearance the bike is awesome. I tried the older Er6n seat and that is SOOO much more comfy. Don't know why Kawasaki went backwards on the seat comfort.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 00:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Can't send you a PM so sorry to everyone for the OT post.
Yup you are right its the Mk3 and honestly I got it for a very good deal of 35k so I went ahead with it. Can't back out now as the guy I paid money to already ordered the exhaust from Italy so I have to live with it whenever it finally comes. I don't think ill mind it too much as long as its not too loud with the DB killer. Yes a Scorpion exhaust will sound better but its a LOT more expensive and my only reason of getting an exhaust is to fix the stupid ground clearance issue as I actually started liking the stock sound after using the bike for a while.

Hopefully the exhaust will fix the second of my major problems the first being the seat which I need to modify like you had done it to your Z650.

Other than the seat and ground clearance the bike is awesome. I tried the older Er6n seat and that is SOOO much more comfy. Don't know why Kawasaki went backwards on the seat comfort.
Still a newbie, so no PM as of now. The MK3 is available at Anzen too. And from Speedmonks in Delhi but not at your - so you're lucky! As long as you can live with the sound - great. But yes, there is a massive improvement in the GC though.

Seat mod is also relatively easy - I had mentioned it in the other post. You can vary the increase as per your comfort. An image of the Kawasaki Ergo seat (priced at 13k) can be a good reference to show the seat guy.

The Er6n and N650 (pre 2017) had great seats for the rider and pillion. The Versys 650 actually borrows the same seat design as well.

Anyway, handing back the thread to OP
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 00:29   #21
BHPian

What a sweet deal you have got on the N650 mate! I am also looking for a Versys 650 as less run as yours. I hope I get as lucky as you

Quote:
I tried the older Er6n seat and that is SOOO much more comfy. Don't know why Kawasaki went backwards on the seat comfort.
My friend got an ER6N rear seat on his 2014 Ninja 650 and I have sat on it for a good distance. While at first, they feel like a sofa on wheels, you will notice on longer rides they will start to hurt your tail bone ( and thereabouts ) more than a harder seat. This logic applies to all softer seats. There is a reason touring bikes have a relatively harder seat.

Last edited by aabhimanyu04 : 10th April 2020 at 00:39.
Old 10th April 2020, 14:25   #22
BHPian

If you see the exhaust underbelly getting scrapped frequently, you can try experimenting the preload setting. Increase the preload slightly and see if you still see the problem over a period of time. Increase it further and check again until the problem disappears or reduces. It’s going to make the ride quality slightly stiffer, but I don’t see it as a big issue.

Regarding the brakes, steel braided lines will not be that much effective in increasing the braking power. I am not saying that changing brake lines is useless, but that will be last thing to be done in the entire braking system. Changing the master cylinder makes the biggest difference and then the brake pads.

Last edited by shan_ned : 10th April 2020 at 14:29.
Old 10th April 2020, 15:27   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on your bike. I followed a similar path couple of years back and got a 2011 Ninja 650 with about 13k on the clock. Brought it on a whim without any experts checking it out, thankfully no major complaints (touch wood). Have not ridden much but would love to join you for a ride considering we are in the same city.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-Owned Kawasaki Ninja 650 | EDIT: Sold and bought back-photo20200410151015.jpg  

Eraser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:03   #24
BHPian

Slightly OT but reading Erasers post as well I just think people getting lucky with buying these used kawasaki bikes is just a testament to how reliable these Japanese machines are.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 19:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
That's a very responsible way to ride given our Indian roads. So many people buy these bikes are ride it flat out just because it can.

I personally wanted a Yamaha R3 but that was out of stock everywhere and the Ninja 400 was too cramped for my height and weight. I finally got a Z650 for a great price of 5.5l new given that BS6 norms were coming in. It was waaaay over my budget but such a deal was too good to resist. I got a naked because this is my only bike so it will have to deal with riding in traffic along with good roads.

Love the bike and the brakes but that #$#%^$@ ground clearance is a big pain. I once rode solo for just 4 kms where there were some 10 speed breakers and my bike hit EIGHT of them ! I ordered for a MIVV exhaust pre lockdown but don't know when it will turn up now.

You are lucky to have a good riding group in Pune. Don't know of any such groups here in Mumbai except for RE Bullet only groups.
Thanks. I agree with our Indian roads and conditions there is no way one can ride absolutely flat out, unless its a controlled environment like a race track or something. Makes zero sense. If your lucky you will die but if you unlucky you going to survive and live like a vegetable for the rest of your life. Heck sometimes I sweat it out even at 80. Call me a coward and maybe I am. My wife has promised me all the bikes in the world that we can afford as long as am back home in one piece. I intend to try and keep the promise as much as possible. An upgraded helmet is on the cards soon.
Congrats on the z650 and its a nice bike. You got a super deal on it. Yes naked is the way to go if its your daily ride. I have never heard of the exhaust you have ordered and hope to see some pics and videos once installed.

Quote:
I almost zeroed in on the Scorpion exhaust - which seemed to be better sounding (bassier but loud) but costlier than the Mivv and also with full system exhausts there are chances of running lean and you'd need to get it tuned. I had discussed it here with Bhpian Narula123 : Discussion on Scorpion Exhaust + Tuner (The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650). Post lockdown, if you get a chance to hear them both in person - that'll be the ideal scenario!

But also, congratulations to Hamza123 for the beast that is the N650 (older model does seem intimidating as compared to the 2017+ ones). For brakes, you could swap the OEM with EBC brake pads - know many who have switched with zero complaints. Considering your riding style and speeds, it would be beneficial. Also, you could try getting your suspension setup (fork oil grade and rear pre-load) customised according to your weight, riding style and road conditions. This can help marginally (slightly) in ground clearance as well as changing your tire profiles. Hope you clock more kms than the first owner once the lockdown and 'new normalcy' comes into place
I too have chewed Varun's head for an aftermarket exhaust and he too has told me that if its for touring its better to keep the stock exhaust on. I was getting a great deal on an Akrapovic full exhaust system. That was just before the economy grinded to a halt. With the current market scenario I have postponed all big purchases for a year. Better to be safe during this period. But mostly ill be sticking to the stock and use the money for the next bike I plan to buy.
you right about the older model being more intimidating than the newer ones. Parked side by side the older one seems to be a size larger than the new one and I love it for that. I look like a circus bear on a tricycle on some of the newer bikes! The ebc brake pads and steel braided lines are the next updates I have planned once the stock break pads wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the Kawasaki family.

Ninja 650 has always been a VFM machine and a good allrounder if the braking is sorted. Please do consider an upgrade to better quality brake pads and steel-braided lines. The braking can take you by surprise at times, even at speeds of 100kmph.
Thank you! Yes the steel braided lines are the next update

Quote:

I did ride my friends z900 for a bit and yes I got a terrible pain in my rear. The seats are almost like plastic with zero or next to no cushion on them. A cheaper and easier fix would be to get an air seat. I have bought one but not had the chance to use it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
What a sweet deal you have got on the N650 mate! I am also looking for a Versys 650 as less run as yours. I hope I get as lucky as you
Do check with Anzen Kawasaki. They had some really sparingly used Versys 650 for sale. There was one that had just run 4000kms and looked in really good condition. I was really tempted myself. But then I do have plans to buy a Tiger at some point in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Regarding the brakes, steel braided lines will not be that much effective in increasing the braking power. I am not saying that changing brake lines is useless, but that will be last thing to be done in the entire braking system. Changing the master cylinder makes the biggest difference and then the brake pads.
I too have heard that the master cyclinder makes the biggest difference. But its a costly upgrade and I don't know if I want to do that with my riding style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
Congratulations on your bike. I followed a similar path couple of years back and got a 2011 Ninja 650 with about 13k on the clock. Brought it on a whim without any experts checking it out, thankfully no major complaints (touch wood). Have not ridden much but would love to join you for a ride considering we are in the same city.
Congratulations! The bike looks lovely. Do pm me your number and I shall add you to the Kawasaki Pune group.

Attaching a picture of all my bikes
My 9 year old Avenger The Ninja and my recently purchased Thunderbird
My Pre-Owned Kawasaki Ninja 650 | EDIT: Sold and bought back-bd63f477b9734303bbe022288bfce21d.jpeg

Last edited by Hamza123 : 11th April 2020 at 19:37.
Hamza123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 21:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post

I was getting a great deal on an Akrapovic full exhaust system. That was just before the economy grinded to a halt. The ebc brake pads and steel braided lines are the next updates I have planned once the stock break pads wear out.
A friend has an Akrapovic on his N650 (2016) and it 'growls' (literally)! No ECUs or tuning done. So you could still look at the deal once the lockdown is lifted? Somehow I feel the Kawasaki BS3 650 engines had a better 'aftermarket' sound than the BS4 ones.

Since you mentioned that you intend to upgrade in the future (did I read 'Tiger' somewhere? ) , the EBC would be an ideal game-changer for you. Also because steel braided lines (there's a HEL dealer + installer in Mumbai) don't come cheap - so you might have to factor that cost as well.

And that garage lineup looks colourful - blue, green and black
Old 11th April 2020, 22:41   #27
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the N650 Hamza! This generation (and the previous one that was first launched in India) was a perfect tourer with a perfect riding posture and comfortable front and rear seats. It's one of the most value for money Kawasaki's that you can get in the market. All the best with her and ride Safe!!
Old 12th April 2020, 09:08   #28
BHPian

Hamza123, Congratulations on your new ride!.

Welcome to the Kawasaki family. The bike looks great, as good as brand new and it is indeed a VFM proposition with adequate power for our road conditions. It looks like your bike was well looked after by the previous owner, which is always a big bonus.

The brakes are something, I have heard, that needs looking into and possibly upgrading. The double sintered EBC pads are recommended.
With respect to you riding sedately at the speed limit, with this bike you may find yourself exceeding the speed limit without realising, if you keep your eyes on the road only.

I had previously read through your Thunderbird thread and just like that one, this thread of yours also has your love for your bikes oozing between every word typed.

Thank you for sharing your experience and wishing you many miles of enjoyable riding.

Cheerio!!
Old 12th April 2020, 20:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
A friend has an Akrapovic on his N650 (2016) and it 'growls' (literally)! No ECUs or tuning done. So you could still look at the deal once the lockdown is lifted? Somehow I feel the Kawasaki BS3 650 engines had a better 'aftermarket' sound than the BS4 ones.

Since you mentioned that you intend to upgrade in the future (did I read 'Tiger' somewhere? ) , the EBC would be an ideal game-changer for you. Also because steel braided lines (there's a HEL dealer + installer in Mumbai) don't come cheap - so you might have to factor that cost as well.

And that garage lineup looks colourful - blue, green and black
Yup am very tempted to get the Akrapovic too. But the economic uncertainty when things open up is giving me cold feet. Just don’t want to spend on things that are not necessary. Let’s see once things open. Also keep feeling every purchase or add on is taking me one step away from my next bike.
I plan to add the Tiger, not upgrade As far as possible , am not going to sell the bikes I purchase. I know it sounds crazy but I get too emotionally attached to the bikes I purchase. Have some memory, bad or good attached to all of them. People were suprised when I did not sell the avenger when I bought the Thunderbird. And am going to keep going as much as possible. I know it will get difficult as more and more bikes get added to the garage in terms of consumables spares and service but am up to trying I still regret selling my first generation Pulsar 180. The other day I saw it on the road and tried so hard to catch up with the guy but could not. Would have tried to convince him to sell it to me!
A white Harley and a grey tiger should make it all the more colourful what say

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congratulations on the N650 Hamza! This generation (and the previous one that was first launched in India) was a perfect tourer with a perfect riding posture and comfortable front and rear seats. It's one of the most value for money Kawasaki's that you can get in the market. All the best with her and ride Safe!!
Thank you! Was reading your post about the tiger and I hope I get a good one some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Hamza123, Congratulations on your new ride!.

Welcome to the Kawasaki family. The bike looks great, as good as brand new and it is indeed a VFM proposition with adequate power for our road conditions. It looks like your bike was well looked after by the previous owner, which is always a big bonus.

The brakes are something, I have heard, that needs looking into and possibly upgrading. The double sintered EBC pads are recommended.
With respect to you riding sedately at the speed limit, with this bike you may find yourself exceeding the speed limit without realising, if you keep your eyes on the road only.

I had previously read through your Thunderbird thread and just like that one, this thread of yours also has your love for your bikes oozing between every word typed.

Thank you for sharing your experience and wishing you many miles of enjoyable riding.

Cheerio!!
Thanks again I was thinking of normal EBC pads as I have heard the double sintered ones damage the disk. Also have heard reports from people that the bite is a bit too sharp. Anyways at the moment the original brake pads are still good for a few more kilometres and will take a call when the time comes.
Old 15th April 2020, 12:30   #30
BHPian

So the one thing that really required urgent attention when I bought the bike were the tyres. Although they had sufficient thread on them the compound had become really hard due to the age. Also the Dunlops are not necessarily the best tyres in this class. I was putting it off for a while, more like “if not broken why fix it” approach.
The 26th January ride changed that. For weeks there was a lot of buzz on our Kawasaki groups regarding the ride and it was going to be one of the largest turnout with almost 35 40 bikes participating. The ride was a short ride to Purandar fort about 150kms round trip. As with all my rides, a couple of days before I topped up the air, fuel and washed the bike anticipating a lovely photo shoot with such a large turnout.
The morning of 26th I was awake very early and was on my way to the meeting spot. As always i was relaxing and cruising as I was well before time. About half way to the meeting point I felt a slight wobble at the rear for a couple of seconds but it was back to normal. Thinking I went over a stone I chose to ignore and ride to the meeting point. As soon as I reached the meeting point my fellow riders immediately pointed out I had a flat at the rear :(
Hunted around for a tyre repair guy but to no luck. It was around 6 in the morning and also 26th January so the chances were as good as nil. I decided with a heavy heart to ride back, had I taken a chance and ridden further with the gang I would have spoilt their ride as well. On reaching home i found one of the larger cracks had opened up and there was no way I could postpone changing the tires now.
A little bit of research and asking around , I finally zeroed in on Pirelli Angel GT2 as much choice. After bargaining and trying to get the best price I finalised with Prabhat Tyres on Paud road. The total came to 27000/- (they cost more than my car tires!!) along with fixing and wheel balancing charges.
Have used the tires for about 300 kms before the lockdown came into force and I must say there is a world of difference in the grip and braking.
Will let the pictures do the talking

My Pre-Owned Kawasaki Ninja 650 | EDIT: Sold and bought back-94e11602a00048ca8f3653d1f24d8a78.jpeg

My Pre-Owned Kawasaki Ninja 650 | EDIT: Sold and bought back-8c8b949ad2384cce9869f6370b491d5c.jpeg

My Pre-Owned Kawasaki Ninja 650 | EDIT: Sold and bought back-2a2a227182c4478f87bdfb9fae9830bd.jpeg
Hamza123 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks