Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 10:54   #16
BHPian

Re: The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRowdyBiker View Post
Nice review, the bike is very good except for a few issues with idling, gear shift quality and clutch adjustment. I feel you have been too kind to the stock tyres, they are dangerous in the wet.
To say that they are dangerous in the wet is a bit of an understatement. You would have to ride like you are riding on eggshells in the wet. On the dry too, I have had the rear end step out on me quote a few times in different scenarios. Not to mention un-even tyre wear on the fronts - not sure if this is a front fork setting issue or a tyre issue, but I should not be flat-spotting on one side of the tyre alone in just 5000 kms or travel.

My first action point immediately post lockdown is to get the 6k kms service done, get the front fork settings checked completely and if all is good, change the tyres to either Metzeler Roadtec 01s or Pirelli Diablo Rosso III.
Old 18th April 2020, 12:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRowdyBiker View Post
Nice review, the bike is very good except for a few issues with idling, gear shift quality and clutch adjustment. I feel you have been too kind to the stock tyres, they are dangerous in the wet.
Thank you RodRowdyBiker. The idling issue has popped up a couple of times where in the bike just stalls on closing the throttle abruptly. I have noticed this happening after I have been riding in particularly heavy slow traffic. I have adjusted the idling screw couple of times and so far it seems ok. There is mention of poor grade fuel and dirty throttle bodies being the reason for this, but it seems to be an pertinent issue with no definite solution in sight.
The gear shift to first from neutral is a bit clunky, but moving through rest of the gears is rather smooth.
The stock Dunlops are bad yes, and as mentioned, I will be upgrading to Michelin or Pirelli, fairly soon.
Cheers for the inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorotor View Post
Hey Doc, I currently ride a Triumph Speed Twin (had a Street Twin prior to that). For the z650 test ride, I was accompanying my friend who was looking to buy his first big bike.
Ah!, now I get it. Speed twin is a sweet bike. I had test ridden the 2015 version of the standard Bonneville, the street twin predecessor, way back and the handling of that bike was simply superb. I can only imagine how good the big brother of that bike will be like, with all that torque and the superb looks. Have you put up a review of the Speed twin yet, or have I missed it?.

Looks like you are based in Kochi. We should plan to meet up and maybe do a couple of rides, along with the other biker Bhpians who live in this neck of the woods.

Cheerio!
Old 18th April 2020, 13:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post

Ah!, now I get it. Speed twin is a sweet bike. I had test ridden the 2015 version of the standard Bonneville, the street twin predecessor, way back and the handling of that bike was simply superb. I can only imagine how good the big brother of that bike will be like, with all that torque and the superb looks. Have you put up a review of the Speed twin yet, or have I missed it?.

Looks like you are based in Kochi. We should plan to meet up and maybe do a couple of rides, along with the other biker Bhpians who live in this neck of the woods.

Cheerio!
I have not gotten around to a review yet mainly due to a lack of time. Let me try and put something together. Your post has inspired me

Yes, I am based in Kochi. We should catch up once the COVID cloud has passed. These days I just go from parking lot to parking lot to keep the battery charged.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 15:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The idling issue has popped up a couple of times where in the bike just stalls on closing the throttle abruptly. I have noticed this happening after I have been riding in particularly heavy slow traffic. I have adjusted the idling screw couple of times and so far it seems ok. There is mention of poor grade fuel and dirty throttle bodies being the reason for this, but it seems to be an pertinent issue with no definite solution in sight.
I too have been having this issue. The first time it came up, they did a quick check of the throttle bodies at the service centre here at Coimbatore and they did mention to me that there was some amount of sedimentation that had to be cleaned out. The bike ran well post that and there have been some occasional blips which I have been able to iron out with some minor adjustments to the idling speed screw. My bigger issues started when about 200kms past the first idle problem I had, my fast idle on cold start does not work. I have escalated this to the Service Centre and they have informed me that a complete throttle body cleaning during the 6k service will resolve that issue.

That being said, I have been filling up only at COCO pumps and trying to confine to good a single brand (BP). I had the idling issue start when once, I had to fill up at a HP station. Fellow riders tell me to avoid IndianOil - and I have been doing that. Have not tried Shell yet. I only fill up regular petrol.

Quote:
The gear shift to first from neutral is a bit clunky, but moving through rest of the gears is rather smooth.
Same experience here too. There are the occasional times though that the Neutral to first shift is almost un-noticeable ... Need to observe more closely when that happens.

Quote:
The stock Dunlops are bad yes, and as mentioned, I will be upgrading to Michelin or Pirelli, fairly soon.
You could also consider the Metzeler Roadtec 01 - that is if you are going to do a lot of touring across different weather conditions. A slightly harder compound tyre which reviews state last longer. The Pirellis while extremely good tyres are slightly softer compound tyres is what I am given to understand.
Old 19th April 2020, 19:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, looks like we have a decent number of motorcyclist TBHPians in Cochin, we will all plan for a short ride once conditions are favourable.

On the issue of the idling, it was reported by someone in Trivandrum on the motorcycling forum around a couple of years ago. I remember reading the post and it was around the time that I was on the verge of buying a bike from Kawasaki and hence I asked the Kawasaki service center head about the same. IIRC he mentioned that the issue was known to them and it was getting resolved through throttle body cleaning.

Up until that point, the gentlemen from the sales team had told me that all the Kawasakis in Kerala were running perfectly fine with the regular fuel that we get here

Quote:
Low Idling RPM - Engine offs when shifting lower gears

Hi, A few Z900 Owners face this issue,

When the engine is warm enough, running after 100 kms or so, the idling rpm is at 500 (idle rpm should be 1100), so there is a sort of jerkiness when shifting lower gears.
Also, engine offs sometimes when shifting 1-2 and 2-3, I had to keep throttling slightly when shifting gears to avoid engine off. I guess the chain slack needs to be adjusted as well, as there is jerkiness.

It seems the owners in western countries, dont have this issue.

Got the latest update from Kawasaki dealers (Kochi and Chennai),

Its due to the fuel here. Octane 91 is the most common fuel here, and Octane 93 is not common to find.
Octane 95+ is really hard to find.

So their explanation is that the sediments settled in throttle body due to low octane or low quality fuel.
The throttle body needs to be cleaned and it should fix the low rpm problem.

the dealer mentioned that H2 Owners too have this issue. I ll try to visit the dealer soon and get the throttle body cleaned. Will update.
Here is the link to the same post on that forum.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 09:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
That being said, I have been filling up only at COCO pumps and trying to confine to good a single brand (BP). I had the idling issue start when once, I had to fill up at a HP station. Fellow riders tell me to avoid IndianOil - and I have been doing that. I only fill up regular petrol.
That is correct. In my initial enthusiasm I used to fill it up from the only outlet in Kochi offering Speed 97. This was for the first few tankfuls. After that I realised that this is not going to be viable long term, cost wise and also having to plod along to the outlet, every time I had to refuel. So then, I changed to regular fuel from random pumps and that stalling problem started. Nowadays, I am filling up only from couple of COCO pumps, mostly an Indian Oil one that I have identified close to work and another is a BP one near home. So far so good.

Quote:
You could also consider the Metzeler Roadtec 01 - that is if you are going to do a lot of touring across different weather conditions. A slightly harder compound tyre which reviews state last longer. The Pirellis while extremely good tyres are slightly softer compound tyres is what I am given to understand.
I did read up about the Metzelers, however, in some forum people mention that although the initial grip is very good, after a couple of thousand kms they slowly start loosing the initial grip and bite, especially in the wet. The Pirellis as you mentioned is a mix of various softness rubber, but more softer than harder and hence the tyre-life can be expected to be less. Overall, the Michelins PR series seem to be giving a great balance between function and longevity. So my order of preference will be Michelin Pilot 5, Pirelli angel GT and then the Metzeler roadtec. I guess I will take a final call closer to the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Doc, looks like we have a decent number of motorcyclist TBHPians in Cochin, we will all plan for a short ride once conditions are favourable.
Actually, to be fair, I have not mentioned this stalling issue to the Kawasaki technicians so far, so do not know what their present response will be. I reckon, if this problem raises its head again then I will get the throttle bodies cleaned.

We surely should meet up for a ride, along with the other TBhpians in these parts. There seems to be some light visible at the end of the proverbial tunnel of these covid times. It will be a good number of guys I am sure and will be fantastic to meet up and exchange notes, ride stories and oogle at each others rides.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:14   #22
BHPian

Continuing with the thread.
So, I had made a few additions to the Black Hornet, to make it easier to use and also improve on the aesthetics.

I found the turn indicator lights quite plain-jane looking and hence, changed this to LED lights front and back. Each of the light has 3 led lamps and the the transparent plastic has a smoked look. The lamps are also thinner and do not stick out as much as the stock ones. They are quite bright. The only difference I have noticed is that they tend to flash at a faster rate than the stock ones. Maybe it needs some kind of a relay to slow it down. The indicators itself are easy enough to change and there are youtube videos available for the job. Takes around 30 min to do it.

3 lamp each LED indicators
The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-led-indicators-1.jpg
The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-z900-led-indicator.jpg
The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-z900-indicators-flashing.jpg

These were sourced from Aliexpress and have been ok so far, with a few months usage.

I got some tank grips and the tank pad, to reduce chances of scratches and also to help when cornering and generally to take the load of the wrists and arms.

Z900 embossed Tank grips and a generic tank pad.

The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-tank-grip-pads.jpg

The side stand is strong enough but its foot print is narrow and just to have additional confidence when parking on dubious surfaces, I got a side stand base expander. Again sourced from Aliexpress This is of good enough quality, has Z900 etched on it and does the job well.

The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-z900-side-stand-expander..jpg

The stock windscreen, really cannot be called a windscreen. It is just a curved plastic bit when covers the front of the meter console. Being a naked bike, one cannot fault the bike designers for not having a significant one. So I got slightly larger smoked black translucent screen, which does provide some amount of air deflection and flow. The fitment bolts and frame, were not perfect and it needed a bit of bending and coaxing before I could bolt it on. It turned out ok in the end.

The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-z900-windscreen-3.jpg
The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-z900-windscreen-2.jpg

I also got myself some soft grip additions, of a brand called grip puppies, they are foam based, soft and does the job well of reducing the strain at the base of thumb and also ironing of some of the minor vibrations that can creep in at mid- rpms.

The Kawasaki Z900 comes home : My Black Hornet-z900-grip-puppies.jpg

The journey to customise continues.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 11:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The only difference I have noticed is that they tend to flash at a faster rate than the stock ones. Maybe it needs some kind of a relay to slow it down.

I got some tank grips and the tank pad, to reduce chances of scratches and also to help when cornering and generally to take the load of the wrists and arms.

Z900 embossed Tank grips and a generic tank pad.

The journey to customise continues.

Cheerio!
Yes, a relay is required for this. Usually for any normal bulb to LED conversion for indicators would require a relay. Most big brands provide relays as optional extras to add as a package for the aftermarket indicators. But I guess no harm in letting them flash a bit faster. You can also add a resistor in the circuit to slow it down but that would not be a neat job, it's more of a hack I think.

About the tank grips, Do you ride with jeans or riding pants? From the look of these types of pads, I get a feeling it'd be more uncomfortable to ride with these as they dig into the thighs more overtime and might even damage the jeans. If you only use riding pants then I guess no issues there.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 21:08   #24
BHPian

I am still on the fence when it comes to changing the indicators - but the soft grips for the bar ends is a definite yes for me. My Yoshimura Street Alpha-T SO is awaiting end of lock-down to be delivered and once movement is allowed, I plan to ride to Bangalore to install a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro aux lights for nighttime touring.
krishsreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 23:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I am still on the fence when it comes to changing the indicators - but the soft grips for the bar ends is a definite yes for me.
The one thing if I disliked about the Z design from Kawasaki (Z650 and Z900) is the way the front indicators are placed - above the headlight. The fat housing and the long stem doesn't help because after a point the vibrations make the rubber brittle. Also, if you use a 'cover' that's the first thing that gets 'stuck' when removing (if in a hurry). My Z650's front indicator rubber became 'brittle' (if I may it call it that) over time (due to the heat and riding) and just came off. The OEM indicators for the Z650 cost 3k for one unit (12k for 4). Presumably, the Z900 ones would be even more steep.

The mounting points are also quite a pain - so will need a 'custom mount' or so for aftermarket LED (like the sleeker KTM 390 ones) indicators that aren't "oem specific".

So till the time they're fine, I'd agree with your stand on staying stock. But when the time comes, you can always opt for sleeker LED options
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 10:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Yes, a relay is required for this.

About the tank grips, Do you ride with jeans or riding pants? From the look of these types of pads, I get a feeling it'd be more uncomfortable to ride with these as they dig into the thighs more overtime and might even damage the jeans.
Yeah, I thought so, about needing a relay to get the blink interval longer. Thank you for confirming. I seem to have gotten used to the rapid flashing now, so I think I will leave the relay bit for now.

I tend to ride with denims mostly, but on longer runs I have riding pants. Although they look a bit uncomfortable, the tank grips are actually quite useful for me. I used to slide forward on the seat and used to find myself adjusting and pushing myself back ever so often. But now with the tank grip, I use my lower inner thigh to grip the tank and also to maintain my place on the seat. This has helped immensely with my confidence level, especially so when taking corners or filtering through traffic. So far, there has been no issues with the grips digging in. Infact, I hardly feel it being there.

Quote:
I am still on the fence when it comes to changing the indicators - but the soft grips for the bar ends is a definite yes for me. My Yoshimura Street Alpha-T SO is awaiting end of lock-down to be delivered and once movement is allowed, I plan to ride to Bangalore to install a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro aux lights for nighttime touring.
Yeah, I did think about it initially, but then it was too much of an eye sore on otherwise a well designed bike, so I bit the bullet and changed the indicators. The latest 2020 Z900 has LED indicators now, a bit late but a much needed update.
That Slip-on is a nice one. I have read on various forums and reviews that the Yoshimura and the Akrapovic seems to give the best deep rumble for the Z900. So good choice and hope to hear your opinion on the Yoshi once you get ur hands on it and it is installed. Nice choice of aux lamps as well. That must have cost a bomb. I do not intend to do much touring or night time riding with the Z and hence I do not think I will install any aux lights for now. Best wishes for the superb accessories planned for your bike. Will wait for your review with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
My Z650's front indicator rubber became 'brittle' (if I may it call it that) over time (due to the heat and riding) and just came off.
Yes. I have heard from various quarters that this is indeed a pertinent problem with the Z650 and Z 900. More so, for the bikes parked in the open in extreme heat. The heating and cooling cycle can lead to loss of the normal elasticity of the mounts and cause it to go brittle. I do not think Kawasaki has come up with a solution yet. Maybe they just need to change the material used to make the indicator mount. My bike is parked in the open under the sun, about three times a week for a good 8 hrs or so. So far, touch wood, I have not had this issue.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 10:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I tend to ride with denims mostly, but on longer runs I have riding pants. Although they look a bit uncomfortable, the tank grips are actually quite useful for me. I used to slide forward on the seat and used to find myself adjusting and pushing myself back ever so often. But now with the tank grip, I use my lower inner thigh to grip the tank and also to maintain my place on the seat. This has helped immensely with my confidence level, especially so when taking corners or filtering through traffic. So far, there has been no issues with the grips digging in. Infact, I hardly feel it being there.
Oh, that's good to hear. I guess the stomps on the pads are soft in texture, it just looked to be a bit solid in the photos.
And Yes, tank grips make a huge difference. I also got to experience it first hand when I got them fitted on my R1. I swear by those now.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 10:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have detailed the relay needed to solve the hyper flashing issue with led indicators here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4410697 (2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review)
And it's fitment here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4412221 (2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review)

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 23:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I have heard from various quarters that this is indeed a pertinent problem with the Z650 and Z 900. More so, for the bikes parked in the open in extreme heat. The heating and cooling cycle can lead to loss of the normal elasticity of the mounts and cause it to go brittle. I do not think Kawasaki has come up with a solution yet. Maybe they just need to change the material used to make the indicator mount. My bike is parked in the open under the sun, about three times a week for a good 8 hrs or so. So far, touch wood, I have not had this issue.

Cheerio!
I've got an open parking and unfortunately, the sunbeams point directly at the spot Equally to blame is the bike cover that I used (RAIDA) - since it has no vents the heating in the underside would have led to the rubber getting brittle. These things dawned on me AFTER the damage had been done. [My earlier logic: Since it was a pre-owned bike, I figured it might have been present from that time.]

It's mentioned here in this post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4781575 (Prepping a Motorcycle for long-term storage, the Indian way!) that you could use a Silicon spray over the rubber parts to keep it from wearing off. Things to keep in mind I guess

Last edited by TheVaas : 27th April 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Added the link.
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 15:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I have detailed the relay needed to solve the hyper flashing issue with led indicators here
Cheers...
I had previously followed your comprehensive review of the N1000 and I must say, I am amazed by the fine details of your review and ownership experience, filled with picture guides as well of all the steps involved for maintenance and accessorisation.
Thank you for posting the link, it sure helps.
Once, this pandemic blows through, maybe, I will get the relay and sort the indicators out.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks