Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 17:39   #31
BHPian

Re: My Triumph Street Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Congratulations on your new bike! Why didn't you consider 1200 CC speed twin sibling? Its more feature packed with better brakes. And I think dimension wise, its almost of the same size.
The OP actually redressed your query at the end of his review. Honestly IMO as an everyday bike the Street Twin is a better bet than a more highway focused Speed Twin. -
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthfudeen View Post
I test rode the Speed Twin too. That machine is on another level and it put me in a dilemma whether I should go for it instead. It's definitely the better bike in every single aspect but I didn't want to buy something that cannot be used to it's full potential, everyday. But I'm glad I made the right decision because the usability of the Street Twin is what I really wanted. One bike to rule them all.

Last edited by bf1983 : 12th May 2020 at 17:44.
bf1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 22:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
Congratulations on getting the twin. triumphs look lovely in flesh, no wonder about bees forming beeline.

Can you do a how smooth comparison with following? Is this more refined than Classic 500 and IC650. Or Can you compare the engine refinement with other Japanese twin engines like Z650? (My heart is set on z650 and that is the reason i ask)

How is the service and spare cost?
Your comparison consists of 4 different segments. I can try helping out with my own experiences having owned a Classic 500 and a Z650 along with having ridden a friend's INT650 and the Triumph Street Twin moderately.

Cutting straight to the chase, Triumph 'trumps' in almost all departments (refinement, electronics, features etc.)

Triumph Street Twin > Z650 ~ INT 650 > CL500

The CL500, sadly is more of a 'trip down memory lane' and bottom of the list. The INT650 is the best value for money amongst the choices especially the service costs. Its refinement is better than the CL500 (no brainer) and probably a tad smoother than the Z650.

Despite the INT and Z being twin cylinder config, the Z is a parallel twin which as Bf1983 rightly suggested, gets a bit vibey and rattly at 3.5-4k rpms. The INT is more of a cruiser/tourer + daily driver/pillion comfort + cheaper design aesthetic of the Classic range of Triumph (no offence to anybody!) while the Z is more sportier, committed and flickable though not quite a long distance tourer. Since you're heart is set on the Z - choosing it over the INT is no brainer

If I could time travel to the past and I were to choose between a Z650 and Street Twin - I'd probably go with the Triumph. Service costs between the Kawasaki and Triumphs are almost similar though the service intervals are different - so you'll have to do some math to figure where you'd save up.

Hope this helps.
TheVaas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 23:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post

If I could time travel to the past and I were to choose between a Z650 and Street Twin - I'd probably go with the Triumph. Service costs between the Kawasaki and Triumphs are almost similar though the service intervals are different - so you'll have to do some math to figure where you'd save up.

Hope this helps.
This certainly helps.

The reason I asked for C500 comparison is IMHO, C500 looks like a toned-down version of Street Twin and the OP owned one. Again I asked to compare IC650, just to get the engine comparison because both are parallel twins. I had ridden both of them extensively and it suffices to say I don't like both of them. They both don't satisfy my basic requirements.

I do like (actually love) Thunderbird from RE stable and I would definitely buy one if we get TB in 650 cc guise. Same is the case with CB 650R. Since they are nowhere seen, my research about spare, service and everything else revolved around Z650 because it satisfies all my requirements.

But after this thread I am going through a lot about Triumph Street Twin. Just a while back I got my attention on its torque figures (80 Nm @ 3800 rpm). Wow! This is one hell of a low end torque like loco. Would love to try this bike once the lock-down is over.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th May 2020 at 00:18. Reason: Capitalising, corrected typos. Please glance through your post before submitting them. Thanks!
katsumoto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 09:04   #34
BHPian

Best option is to take a test ride. Before the lockdown the Z650 was a LOT cheaper than the Street Twin. Almost 3 lakh cheaper. But post the lockdown the new Z650 will be barely a lakh cheaper which muddies the water. So for 1 lakh more you are getting a more refined bike with tons of torque though the Z650 is no slouch in the torque department at all. The only way the Z650 trumps the Triumph quite handily is in engine heat management. I ride the Z650 in traffic regularly and the engine never gets uncomfortably hot. Otherwise as others have mentioned the Triumph is a better bike in almost all other aspects.
bf1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 00:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
This certainly helps.

The reason I asked for C500 comparison is IMHO, C500 looks like a toned-down version of Street Twin and the OP owned one. Again I asked to compare IC650, just to get the engine comparison because both are parallel twins. I had ridden both of them extensively and it suffices to say I don't like both of them. They both don't satisfy my basic requirements.

I do like (actually love) Thunderbird from RE stable and I would definitely buy one if we get TB in 650 cc guise. Same is the case with CB 650R. Since they are nowhere seen, my research about spare, service and everything else revolved around Z650 because it satisfies all my requirements.

But after this thread I am going through a lot about Triumph Street Twin. Just a while back I got my attention on its torque figures (80 Nm @ 3800 rpm). Wow! This is one hell of a low end torque like loco. Would love to try this bike once the lock-down is over.
Well now said you said 2 Years before, SM650 is up, would you consider one now? Well, I'm in the same dilemma, "should I get 650twins or Street Twin"! Considering 2019 ST here, are available for a reasonable amount now.
nidhinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 13:25   #36
BHPian

I bought a competition green Speed Twin 900 in August. I've done 600 km. The seat height of 765 suits me well. As per the service package, it includes chain cleaning and lubing process. Awaiting the first service. The motorcycle though, is surprisingly fast and stable.
What I love is that the bike chassis is extremely well-aligned. This is proven when it continues to travel in a straight line without me holding the handlebar and secondly, at crawling speeds, the bike can be manoeuvred easily without putting your feet on the ground, just like how we slow cycle. Close to zero zero speeds, it stays balanced.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2023 at 22:57. Reason: Edited for better readability
amayjoshi is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2023, 12:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayjoshi View Post
I bought a competition green Speed Twin 900 in August. I've done 600 km.
Many congratulations Amay. That is beautiful beautiful color, the green one. I ride a 2017 Street Twin and I certainly feel this is a near-perfection-level street monster. Torque feels adequate at all times and slow speed mannerism is so well balanced. Wish you miles of smiles ahead.

On a side note, once you have put down adequate running into the bike, maybe around 6000 or 7000 kms, I'd recommend you get a decat installed. I recently got the Xpipe from Motone and it has truly transformed the motorcycle. Near perfect bike pushed further closer to perfection
shabih is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinpr View Post
Well now said you said 2 Years before, SM650 is up, would you consider one now? Well, I'm in the same dilemma, "should I get 650twins or Street Twin"! Considering 2019 ST here, are available for a reasonable amount now.
I just got a 2016 Street Twin last week and it has been a hoot.
Brake Pad changed and soon a sprocket and tyre change in coming months and it should be as good as new. Great deals out there on used Street Twins. Its a joy on the roads, even the infamous Bangalore roads. I did think of a brand new INT 650 but somehow I feel the INT 650 does not age well based on the few that I have seen. SM650, hmm i would like to have the option of standing up on my pegs at the sight of potholes and rough roads and the SM650 takes away that option, so I had not considered it at all. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brio2014 View Post
Welcome to the gentlemen's club with a twist. Twist because it can change character in a heartbeat, wonderful sleeper motorcycle. The bike is truly exceptional and I am saddened by the fact that it doesn't get the love it genuinely deserves. I have been riding it for a little over one year and I am extremely impressed by it. I recently upgraded front and rear suspension which has further enhanced my experience with it. Feel free to reach out if you need any recommendations.

Wish you many miles of smiles!
shabih is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 23:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brio2014 View Post
Brake Pad changed and soon a sprocket and tyre change in coming months and it should be as good as new. Great deals out there on used Street Twins. Its a joy on the roads, even the infamous Bangalore roads. I did think of a brand new INT 650 but somehow I feel the INT 650 does not age well based on the few that I have seen. SM650, hmm i would like to have the option of standing up on my pegs at the sight of potholes and rough roads and the SM650 takes away that option, so I had not considered it at all. Hope this helps.
I appreciate the update! Two months after my initial comment, I managed to acquire a pre-owned 2020 Street Twin 900 at a fantastic price. In the beginning, it used to heat up a lot but after the basic service & changing all liquids in the bike it's a lot better & doesn't heat much, the bike now runs exceptionally smoothly, delivering torque effortlessly. The 270-degree parallel-twin engine is a true symphony to my ears, showcasing its refined performance. However, being 6ft tall, I've encountered some challenges with the seat height and low ground clearance. Negotiating most of the Mumbai speed breakers has become a bit tricky, especially with a pillion rider, as the bike tends to bottom out easily.

After a few months of ownership & KMs, I understood what I needed from my bike, so I made a few modifications to improve my ergonomics. All I had to add was added handlebar risers, adjust the leavers according to me & then adjust the rear preload as per my weight. All of this was done by Beards Of Motorcycles (BOM) in Mumbai, some real enthusiasts who are knowledgeable about motorcycles & motorcycling. Would highly recommend if any of you guys are from Mumbai you can rely on these folks.

Well, in the future I would be planning to change front springs and switch to progressive springs so that it doesn't bottom out quickly & also add fork risers to increase ground clearance which I feel is necessary.

I'm glad I went with an ST 900 over an RE 650s, as I feel the build quality & how refined the engine feels is not comparable to any within the segment. Especially if you can get some great deals in the pre-owned market which is similar to the cost of a new 650s.
Old 2nd February 2024, 23:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Welcome to the gentlemen's club with a twist. Twist because it can change character in a heartbeat, wonderful sleeper motorcycle. The bike is truly exceptional and I am saddened by the fact that it doesn't get the love it genuinely deserves. I have been riding it for a little over one year and I am extremely impressed by it. I recently upgraded front and rear suspension which has further enhanced my experience with it. Feel free to reach out if you need any recommendations.

Wish you many miles of smiles!

I would be genuinely interested to hear more about the suspension upgrades you mentioned if you could kindly provide a brief overview. Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I would be genuinely interested to hear more about the suspension upgrades you mentioned if you could kindly provide a brief overview. Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
So looking at your previous post, I understand that you've already experienced the extra softness of the stock suspension leading to frequent bottoming out and scratching of the bike's underside.

I like a slightly stiffer suspension setup. The stock one being soft, made the bike draft front and back upon braking like a wooden plank on sea waves. This was more pronounced with a pillion. What I did first was add aftermarket preload adjusters from Marshauto to the front shocks (keeping the stock springs). This helped stiffen up the front end from the get-go even before adding any extra preload and this completely removed scratching the bottom on speed breakers. Then I came across Aditya on TBHP forum who was selling his ST's rear suspension and front springs, both progressive ones from YSS. He owned ST as well and sold off his bike so was selling parts separately. I picked them up and I think it is a game-changer. With the fully adjustable rear setup, I can choose pre-load, rebound, and compression to my liking. The bike handles road undulations, bumps, and potholes very maturely. With the progressive springs upfront, braking and turning feels very well articulated. Unfortunately, I had to remove the preload adjusters from the front forks to accommodate the YSS springs.

One downside to this setup is now I am scratching the underside again on badly made speed breakers. Now I am not able to put a finger on what has brought this back. I think it could be because the YSS rear suspension has further reduced the seat height and with the added weight of the rider and a pillion, this may be causing bottoming out. I have figured out rebound and compression settings to my liking but I suspect the preload is not dialed in properly and will need some more tinkering. I saw some videos on YouTube to set preload properly but it was too much science and numbers for my comprehension Cry for help to anyone who could do it for me in exchange for some beer and hot wings haha.

But if you take the speed breakers out of the equation, the YSS suspension swap has redefined the bike's character. Good investment and highly recommended.
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 16:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
So looking at your previous post, I understand that you've already experienced the extra softness of the stock suspension leading to frequent bottoming out and scratching of the bike's underside.
Thanks for the response. I have looked upon Marshauto preload adjusters, I tried to reach out to them they didn't respond, I had a query do they come with suspension risers or not as both were sold together I'm uncertain about them as they are not responding. Do you know anyone else who sells front preload adjusters?

YSS suspensions sound amazing to me, I came across FOX suspensions too and they look amazing as well. Well as of now it's an expensive upgrade to consider, as I assume it costs 55-70k if not more.

I feel you can get rid of bottom scratching at speed breakers just by adjusting the right preload. Mitul the owner of BOM (Beards Of Motorcycles) just adjusted the stock rear suspension from Level 1 to Level 4 as per my weight. Considering I'm 6ft tall & weight around 89KGs for your reference. While I was riding to Andheri where the workshop is located, there were multiple speed breakers. I had to ride the bike at crawling speed so that I didn't hit the bottom & yet I scratched the bottom a few times. But, after adjusting the preload and going back home I could confidentially pass all those speed breakers without a second thought of hitting the bottom. Since after that I've enjoyed every time I took my ST900 without worrying, such a versatile bike it is.

I would say just adjust the preload and see the difference, play around with different preload settings & see which one works for you as per your body weight. It was easy to adjust stock suspension just by using a hex key or screwdriver, I do not know how it's done on YSS, but I assume it shouldn't be that hard more of a DIY.

Hope that information was helpful

Last edited by graaja : 3rd February 2024 at 17:19. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
Old 5th February 2024, 13:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I have looked upon Marshauto preload adjusters, I tried to reach out to them they didn't respond, I had a query do they come with suspension risers or not as both were sold together I'm uncertain about them as they are not responding. Do you know anyone else who sells front preload adjusters?

YSS suspensions sound amazing to me, I came across FOX suspensions too and they look amazing as well. Well as of now it's an expensive upgrade to consider, as I assume it costs 55-70k if not more.

I feel you can get rid of bottom scratching at speed breakers just by adjusting the right preload.
Ok, let's address your query first about Marshauto. The risers they sell are for handlebars. Now on the Street twin, you don't need extra clearance to install the adjusters because the pre-load mounting point is farther away from the handlebars stem. Unlike on the Interceptor where the mounting point is right next to the handlebar stem and you need to elevate it to create clearance. So go ahead with confidence and order only the adjusters without the risers.

Now the question about dialing the rear pre-load. The YSS one has a thread-type adjustment mechanism which is a bit cumbersome and unlike click-type adjustment where you have a direct reference of how much you have dialed, a thread-type adjustment needs more guesswork at least for me. I dialed it a little more over the weekend but it rained in Delhi so could not test it. Let me try in the coming days.

Also gone are the days when you got YSS set up for 58k. Currently, they retail for around 699 euro on their Thailand website which means quite a bit more to import them to India.

Last edited by shabih : 5th February 2024 at 13:41.
Old 7th February 2024, 17:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I dialed it a little more over the weekend but it rained in Delhi so could not test it. Let me try in the coming days.
So update on the pre-load adjustment, I rode it yesterday for around 50 km. Played around with compression and rebound as well and the bike is behaving better on speedbrakers, no scratching

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks