Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2020, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki big bike range updated; VStrom 650 XT BS6 listed on website

Suzuki has updated its big bike lineup on the website. The Hayabusa, GSX S750, VStrom 1000, GSX R1000 and GSX S1000 are no longer listed on the website.

Suzuki big bike range updated; VStrom 650 XT BS6 listed on website-vstrom-650-xt.jpg

The only big bike that will be introduced in the near future is the VStrom 650 XT. The adventure tourer will receive an updated BS6-compliant engine.

The BS4 version of the VStrom 650 XT was powered by a 645cc, liquid-cooled, V-twin engine that delivered 70 BHP and 62 Nm of torque. The engine was mated with a 6-speed transmission. It had telescopic fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear. The bike was equipped with disc brakes at both ends and had dual-channel ABS.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 14:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suzuki big bike range updated; VStrom 650 XT BS6 listed on website

Hayabusa finally exits the Indian market.

What a loss for Suzuki! In its final year of production - and with a decade of minimal changes only, it still sold 232 units in 2019 and was their best-seller by far. No marketing, no test rides, no effort was needed to move this INR 16L bike off showroom floors.

VStrom 650 should get a good run in the market now. With the new Africa twin priced around 20 lakhs on road, VStrom is now 80% of the bike at ~50% of the price!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th April 2020 at 18:26. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 18:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The only big bike that will be introduced in the near future is the VStrom 650 XT. The adventure tourer will receive an updated BS6-compliant engine.

The BS4 version of the VStrom 650 XT was powered by a 645cc, liquid-cooled, V-twin engine that delivered 70 BHP and 62 Nm of torque. The engine was mated with a 6-speed transmission. It had telescopic fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear. The bike was equipped with disc brakes at both ends and had dual-channel ABS.

Link to Team-BHP News
This is a dream bike for me. When I had this urge to take up biking, this was one of the first 'big boys' I studied. But then, backed off and looked at beginner level choices in the 200cc segment-until Covid struck.
Old 19th April 2020, 19:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
VStrom 650 should get a good run in the market now. With the new Africa twin priced around 20 lakhs on road, VStrom is now 80% of the bike at ~50% of the price!
Is the price of the new BS6 compliant V Strom 650 out? Do we know how much it will work out to on road? I wasnt able to find it anywhere on the Suzuki site.

Also arent the V Strom and the Africa Twin from two different segments altogether? I am waiting to see how Triumph is going to price its new Tiger in the adventure segment. Knowing Triumph I am not too optimistic and I think they will do Honda a favour in the process.
Old 19th April 2020, 19:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Is the price of the new BS6 compliant V Strom 650 out? Do we know how much it will work out to on road? I wasnt able to find it anywhere on the Suzuki site.

Also arent the V Strom and the Africa Twin from two different segments altogether? I am waiting to see how Triumph is going to price its new Tiger in the adventure segment. Knowing Triumph I am not too optimistic and I think they will do Honda a favour in the process.
BS6 prices would be around 25K more is what I am guessing. Triumph Tiger will no where be close to the Suzuki V Storm in terms of pricing. Like you mentioned, Africa twin and Tiger would be comparable than with V Storm. Currently it would be Versys Vs V Storm
nkrishnap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 20:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
BS6 prices would be around 25K more is what I am guessing. Triumph Tiger will no where be close to the Suzuki V Storm in terms of pricing. Like you mentioned, Africa twin and Tiger would be comparable than with V Storm. Currently it would be Versys Vs V Storm
Yes, the Versys and VStrom would continue to battle at the entry of the middle weight segment. Both are great bikes, though I would likely plonk my money for the Suzuki.

I feel Triumph will likely take the price of the Tiger range higher than before as its a new platform. I believe they will only be bringing in 2 variants this time as compared to the 5 or 6 that they had earlier, I dont recall where I read it though. I dont think the Multistrada 950 is Euro 5 compliant as of now, so that will be one missing competitor from the segment above the V Strom 650.
Old 19th April 2020, 20:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Prices are not out. BS4 version was priced near 7.5 lakhs, so I am guessing the new one will be well within 8.5 lakhs ex-showroom.

Of course both the bikes are from different segments. But for those looking at a reliable off-road biased adventure motorcycle with spoke wheels etc, the VStrom was the one option earlier, followed by the Africa Twin above it. I have seen a couple of cases where the owners stretched and got the Africa Twin once and for all instead of the Strom.

But - with the new pricing of the Africa Twin, Strom will not only be the undoubted champion of the midsize segment - but won't have any real competition even from a segment above - unless you can stretch all the way to 19 lakhs onroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Currently it would be Versys Vs V Storm
Versys feels outdated now. A refresh is long overdue.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th April 2020 at 20:25.
Old 19th April 2020, 20:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to detract from this thread, but word on the street is the replacement to the KLR is incoming, and will compete with the T7 from Yamaha. I think the Versys will continue to exist as a relaxed sports tourer and 17 inch wheels much like the Tracer 700, whereas the replacement klr will be the whole 21 front and 18 rear combo and KLX roots. The KLR brand has huge recall, I expect Kawasaki to throw in something to really mix things up in a year or two.

Do note that the only big manufacturer missing from the fastest growing true adventure segment above the 300cc class is Kawasaki.

To stay on topic, even the strom or DL650 is old in the tooth. It’s just new here, it’s an old workhorse everywhere else around the world. Suzuki will have to play a new nimbler more agile and off-road focused card soon like the T7 and the soon to arrive Africa Twin 800, as well as here now 750/850 gs, 790 adv, and the new Triumph 900 rally. I find them no longer relevant in markets like the US and Europe,or even japan for that matter. The game has moved on and far. Yamaha sensed it with the arrival of the game changer 790 adv, and thereafter dropped their own T700 bombshell.

Final word. THE 490 parallel twin from KTM should decimate anything upto 10 lakhs in India. 60 hp, parallel twin, off-road genes, 190 kgs wet.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th April 2020 at 20:50.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course both the bikes are from different segments. But for those looking at a reliable off-road biased adventure motorcycle with spoke wheels etc, the VStrom was the one option earlier, followed by the Africa Twin above it. I have seen a couple of cases where the owners stretched and got the Africa Twin once and for all instead of the Strom.
The now discontinued Triumph XC and XCX were definitely the more mainstream options for the spoked wheels + off road biased motorcycles above the Suzuki VStrom. The previous generation Africa Twin also came in India with only the automatic gearbox (that put off some buyers) and on top of that there were limited stocks. The Tiger is the best selling adventure bike in India to my knowledge and I'm sure at least 80 - 90% of buyers looking to move up from the VStrom went towards the Triumph family at the higher price range.

Also the price gap between the V STrom and the Africa Twin (pre BS6 clearance that is) was pretty steep. The Suzuki was close to Rs 10 L while the Honda was around Rs 16 L. That is a lot of dough!

It will be interesting to see how Suzuki moves forward with their big bikes that are BS6 / Euro 5 compliant. I dont believe they have too many that can be sold here right now. Maybe the new VStrom 1050 to fill the void left by the missing motorcycles?
Old 20th April 2020, 10:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Final word. THE 490 parallel twin from KTM should decimate anything upto 10 lakhs in India. 60 hp, parallel twin, off-road genes, 190 kgs wet.

Everyone else can run for cover when the KTM 490 hits the market. Except if Honda actually (and their past record don't support this) lives up to their announcement of locally built mid-size motorcycles for India.
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:54   #11
BHPian

Wonder why no big bikes are listed on Suzuki India's website?

A biker friend brought this up, noticed none of the big motor bikes mentioned on the Suzuki India website.

https://www.suzukimotorcycle.co.in/a...ucts/big-bikes

Only the V-Strom 650 is shown, that too coming soon!

Is it because of the shift to BS-VI?
Old 23rd April 2020, 23:52   #12
BHPian

re: Wonder why no big bikes are listed on Suzuki India's website?

Yes BS-VI norms have stopped not just Suzuki but even Honda and other big bike manufacturers. By the end of the year we should see more big bike launches.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 08:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wonder why no big bikes are listed on Suzuki India's website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Only the V-Strom 650 is shown, that too coming soon!
We already have a thread in Superbikes sub-section, Suzuki Big Bikes range (Suzuki big bike range updated; VStrom 650 XT BS6 listed on website).
Old 24th April 2020, 08:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Everyone else can run for cover when the KTM 490 hits the market. Except if Honda actually (and their past record don't support this) lives up to their announcement of locally built mid-size motorcycles for India.
Honda has nothing except the CB500X in the low-mid weight adv segment even internationally. And that bike pales even in comparison to the 390 adventure. Its a write off if you compare it to something even more powerful from the orange camp.
Old 27th April 2020, 15:05   #15

Thats Great News. Hope the Vstrom 650 is priced at 6.99 ex show room pan India .
The 2020 V strom 1000 is also a very capable bike, which I hope Suzuki brings in soon , along with the Legendary Suzuki Katana.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks