Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 21:39   #31
BHPian

Re: My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12

Great review man! Enjoyed every bit of it. And truly surprised on Gujju aunty recognising it by name as if she rides it every now and then!
Busa is awe inspiring! What a machine.
Just few months back I bought Versys 650. After lot of courage, savings and importantly convincing all. I was tired of it. And they think its my last bike. Lol!
Wish you many happy miles!
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 21:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Z900 is a brilliant bike and quite peppy compared to typical Kawasaki nature. She’s fun to ride being Nimble over predecessor and inline-4 is super smooth. Heartiest congratulations Krishareedharan on the Bumblebee (Z900) from another Bumblebee from another mother (Street Triple).
Nice co-incidence that. Which spec do you have. My riding partner has a Red 1055 Street Triple. Awesome machine that. Enjoy your ride to the max
Old 29th April 2020, 22:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
Which spec do you have. My riding partner has a Red 1055 Street Triple
Thanks. I’ve the Street Triple 675. The one you’re talking about is the “Speed” Triple which is litre class. The Speed is another legendary bike which lot of people are fond of. But It’s discontinued and sadly, the new one hasn’t made it to India. Wish you many happy miles on your Bee too.

Cheers
Amey
Old 1st May 2020, 22:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Over the course of three years I have ridden her a little over 8k kms. I have now stopped riding my motorcycles during monsoons so that's a good four months of hibernation each year. My riding on Bluebird S12 has been limited to riding on NH 48 and NH 160. This is thanks to the metro construction work in Mumbai and generally the road conditions. Riding to Lonavala from where I stay just takes over a good 1 hr plus to just get out of the city limits and this is a torture which I am just not ready for. So, most of the rides are the quick early morning breakfast rides and the few occasional late night ride to Marine Drive or Bandstand.

This is the reality of living with a super bike for most of us. Work and family routine leaves hardly anytime to enjoy rides at leisure. Then when you get the time you have to worry about avoiding traffic and getting back home before you start cooking under your leather jacket

The open highway is where you can enjoy her the best. The temperature gauge is well below the halfway mark and munching miles just becomes a joke with all that power between your legs that is just waiting to be unleashed.

In the city not even 20% of the actual potential of these motorcycles can be tapped and riding in heavy traffic won't be a pleasant experience at all.

Best part of owning a Busa or a ZX 14R is that they feel perfectly at home to be ridden on regular pump fuel, as getting high octane fuel out of city limits is next to none.

Some pictures..

Biker Buddies

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0345.jpg

There is always a conversation around motorcycles..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_1222.jpg

Twining...

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_1076.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2870.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2877.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2881.jpg

When you don't feel like riding too far for a good breakfast..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_4210.jpg

And sometimes taking the road less taken..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_4829.jpg

A typical buzzing Sunday morning far away from the city commotion..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_9514.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7238.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7241.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_e0826.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_e3355.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_e5808.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_e6030.jpg

Chasing Sunrise..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_6798.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_6810.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-konv5821.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-tiao1849.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-xbjy4195.jpg
SnS_12 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 02:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Service...

The service intervals earlier were 4k kms or four months whichever is earlier. In the first year of ownership I maintained this routine in order to safeguard my warranty but then eventually used to service it thrice a year and now twice a year. Suzuki have also now altered the service interval to 6 months instead of the earlier 4 months.

General service will cost a little over 6k(labor, oil and oil filter) but if you choose a different higher grade oil then the cost goes up. Other part which increases the cost is the air filter which costs roughly around 2.5K and is changed roughly every second or third service depending on the usage pattern.

Apart from these I have changed the coolant last year as the radiator had to be taken out to access the bend pipe to fix the whole by welding it. And I have also changed the fluid on the front and rear brake and the hydraulic clutch till date.

Some pictures...

Heat Sheild.. Tank is sitting on a 1340cc engine with a radiator with two fans and an oil cooler..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0346.jpg

The Air box that feeds in clean air through the butterfly valves...Notice the second filter behind the valves..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0370.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_e5632.jpg

Lot of piping..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0372.jpg

Air filter which has done its job well and ready to be replaced..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_1135.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_1137.jpg

Rear mono shock suspension.. Everything on this Fat Girl is Fat...

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0373.jpg

Massive 21 litre fuel tank..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0376.jpg

Hydraulic clutch master cylinder oil change..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0380.jpg

I was not happy as they did not bleed it and just used a syringe and sucked up the oil from the cylinder

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0381.jpg

The engine takes up 3.1 litre of oil

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_0389.jpg

Front brake pads are cleaned and lightly sanded with a sandpaper to smoothen the surface..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7222.jpg

LED vs Stock Bulb

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7252.jpg

Rear wheel bearing greasing

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7992.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7996.jpg

Beautiful TBR Titanium exhaust. Shot exhaust like the SC project or the Carbon Fiber models just don't suit her at all in my book..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_7999.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_8001.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_8009.jpg

Front wheel greasing

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_8011.jpg

The service center guys had not changed the rear brake oil claiming it was in good condition. This clearly shows it isn't and I took it to my friend Tony to do a proper job this time..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2935.jpg

Vacuum pump to change the oil. Normally you need to do two complete cycle refill of the reservoir to flush out the old oil and this is the correct way to do it. Or else the dirt left behind will eventually ruin your braking components and also this process ensures that there is no air bubbles left in the system.

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2941.jpg

This is how the oil changed at the service center looked after a month as it got mixed up with the old oil still left in the pipe.

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2948.jpg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-img_2946.jpg
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Service...

The service intervals earlier were 4k kms or four months whichever is earlier. In the first year of ownership I maintained this routine in order to safeguard my warranty but then eventually used to service it thrice a year and now twice a year. Suzuki have also now altered the service interval to 6 months instead of the earlier 4 months.
Now that you have had your bike for 3 years, as a general rule service your bike according to the kms covered rather than time/months. Getting it serviced every 4/6 months when only 1500/2000 kms have been covered is futile and is just expensive.

Use 4000/4500 kms as yardstick before every service. Of course, the frequency changes if you go on a long tour etc. I service my bike once a year now since my riding has greatly reduced.

Invest in a k/n or a bmc air filter. More than anything, the convenience of cleaning it and reusing it is immense.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd May 2020 at 07:42.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Use 4000/4500 kms as yardstick before every service. Of course, the frequency changes if you go on a long tour etc. I service my bike once a year now since my riding has greatly reduced.

Invest in a k/n or a bmc air filter. More than anything, the convenience of cleaning it and reusing it is immense.
That is the plan and that is why I have been reducing the intervals gradually to see how she performs. For the first year I followed what the manufacturer recommended. But keeping the humidity in mind in Mumbai I generally have the other motorcycles serviced every six months. Being carburetted they need more attention and also since the running is low.

So should I be worried with the oil quality going bad? Also, what about injector cleaning? Since she is not babied around I haven’t felt the need but generally if you ride her continuously in city at low speeds the injectors would need more attention. So what procedure do you generally follow for that?

Finally, on the filter I run K&N on my Brio and I have cleaned it only once at 23k kms and now the odo reading is around 40k. So, what cleaning intervals do you follow? I haven’t changed to K&N yet as its a mental block since it can’t be easily accessed and inspected as you can do in your car and also stories of aftermarket air filter getting disintegrated and getting sucked up in the engine gives me the shiver. Though I know such incidents can happen only on non genuine products. But still have not developed the confidence yet to take the plunge.
SnS_12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 14:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So should I be worried with the oil quality going bad? Also, what about injector cleaning? Since she is not babied around I haven’t felt the need but generally if you ride her continuously in city at low speeds the injectors would need more attention. So what procedure do you generally follow for that?
Oil does not disintegrate and break down unless considerable time has elapsed. Regularly start your bike.

Why do you feel your injectors need cleaning? As in, any symptoms ?
Also, you can ride the bike for its entire life in city traffic. The injectors themselves will not clog just by city riding.

If you have symptoms, then we can discuss this further. I would not go to the injectors under normal circumstances.

Quote:
Finally, on the filter I run K&N on my Brio and I have cleaned it only once at 23k kms and now the odo reading is around 40k. So, what cleaning intervals do you follow? I haven’t changed to K&N yet as its a mental block since it can’t be easily accessed and inspected as you can do in your car and also stories of aftermarket air filter getting disintegrated and getting sucked up in the engine gives me the shiver. Though I know such incidents can happen only on non genuine products. But still have not developed the confidence yet to take the plunge.
I have cleaned my filter after 1000 kms also and sometimes after 5000 kms. Depends entirely on how and where the bike was used.

Nothing beats the convenience that an after market air filter provides. It can be cleaned and recharged in under 15 minutes at home. Just need a recharge kit. The Hayabusa air filter is very accessible. Wait till you see where the filter for a 14r is. Nightmare!

For Hayabusa,
-Remove the front seat, 2 bolts 6mm allen
-Remove 2 tank bolts, I think they are 4 mm allen and raise the tank using
the prop rod.
- Remove 1, 10mm screw at top of the air box
- Remove 11 philip screws holding the airbox cleaner lid. 10 on the side 1 in the middle.
- That it.

A quality air filter does not disintegrate. I have yet to hear this from anyone using a k/n, bmc, uni , pippercross etc since I can remember.

Get an after market air filter . You will thank yourself.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd May 2020 at 14:29.
bigron is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 15:00   #39
BHPian

I agree with what Ron is saying. An added benefit that I see is that if and when a situation arises where you cannot find a replacement stock filter at the service center then your whole plan goes for a toss.
With the OEM replacement filters, no need to worry about replacement because they last for a lifetime and the recharge kits last for quite a while and you won't find yourself having to run around for sourcing a filter each time. I don't know how proactive Suzuki dealers are with sourcing spares, but with many other manufacturers, it can be a pain.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you feel your injectors need cleaning? As in, any symptoms ?
Also, you can ride the bike for its entire life in city traffic. The injectors themselves will not clog just by city riding.

If you have symptoms, then we can discuss this further. I would not go to the injectors under normal circumstances.
There are no symptoms and she is performing flawlessly. In high performance cars it is generally noticed that if you drive the car within city limits for a considerable amount of time then the injectors tend to get clogged up. This issue normally gets resolved once you drive it on the highway and give it the Italian tune (Redline it) In cases where the car has done considerable mileage you may have to clean the injectors for better result.

I was just asking for GK as you have owned yours since 2011 and whether have you cleaned your injectors in this period.

Quote:
I have cleaned my filter after 1000 kms also and sometimes after 5000 kms. Depends entirely on how and where the bike was used.
Isn't that a little too early? K&N main benefit is that the air flow is not hampered even when its visibly dirty and I have even heard that they filter even better. K&N website says that replacement box filters don't need cleaning up to 50k miles, but in our dusty environment I feel 20k kms is good enough. As I said this is the interval I have followed on my Brio and I have faced no issues yet.

Quote:
A quality air filter does not disintegrate. I have yet to hear this from anyone using a k/n, bmc, uni , pippercross etc since I can remember.

Get an after market air filter . You will thank yourself.
Just googled a few links as below:

https://www.m5board.com/threads/bmc-...rating.493881/

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ion-930-a.html

Plus, I had heard of a ZX 10R owner who had faced a similar issue. Hence, this is something I am not totally convinced about even though I am using it on my Honda Brio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
I agree with what Ron is saying. An added benefit that I see is that if and when a situation arises where you cannot find a replacement stock filter at the service center then your whole plan goes for a toss.
With the OEM replacement filters, no need to worry about replacement because they last for a lifetime and the recharge kits last for quite a while and you won't find yourself having to run around for sourcing a filter each time. I don't know how proactive Suzuki dealers are with sourcing spares, but with many other manufacturers, it can be a pain.
Cheers
Krishna
As pointed above I still have my apprehensions on switching over to aftermarket air filters.

With regards to spare parts my dealer is always well stocked as these are regular moving parts and plus the number of Busa's on the road actually encourage them to stock up parts. I haven't faced any issues with non-availability of a spare part and even when I had that unfortunate incident the parts arrived in the time frame committed and I had the Busa back in a month's time.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that a little too early? K&N main benefit is that the air flow is not hampered even when its visibly dirty and I have even heard that they filter even better. K&N website says that replacement box filters don't need cleaning up to 50k miles, but in our dusty environment I feel 20k kms is good enough. As I said this is the interval I have followed on my Brio and I have faced no issues yet.
I guess it is safer to get it cleaned in a lesser interval than the manufacturer specified in our case. The amount of dust it catches in very small miles is insane. I had mentioned this in my thread where I couldn't believe the amount of gunk the filter had stopped in just about 1k km of riding and that too pure highway miles, not even in city traffic or anything.

Quote:
As pointed above I still have my apprehensions on switching over to aftermarket air filters.

With regards to spare parts my dealer is always well stocked as these are regular moving parts and plus the number of Busa's on the road actually encourage them to stock up parts. I haven't faced any issues with non-availability of a spare part and even when I had that unfortunate incident the parts arrived in the time frame committed and I had the Busa back in a month's time.
I understand. If you have plenty of stock available and are confident that there won't be any issues then you are in the safe zone.
For me, the issue is lack of spares was big enough to continue with the OEM replacement filter that I got and just bought a charger kit to last me for the foreseeable future.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was just asking for GK as you have owned yours since 2011 and whether have you cleaned your injectors in this period.
Yes, I have once. But I am nearing 50,000 kms now I think and the kind of fuel I have used on some of my tours over the years was practically sludge.

You need a professional garage to do these for you. They need to be leaked tested, spray pattern tested , flow tested , o rings removed , filters and pintle caps removed then re assembly, you get the idea. Also, I would not trust a Suzuki A.S.S with these. They have a hard time bleeding a brake.

You could pressure wash them using brake cleaner at home and a replacement 0 ring kit and I can also tell you how to disassemble them but I do not recommend it.

So in short, stay away from injectors.There are alot many things that will need attention before injectors need to be cleaned.

Quote:
When one does a 1500 km tour through the dusty roads of Rajasthan and UP, it is not too early to clean. It actually completely depends upon usage.

The website can say anything. They are there to sell it. You change it/alter it depending upon how you use your bike.
And not to surprise you, but the Hayabusa stock filter actually flows better in certain circumstances. But it is irritating/expensive/time consuming to get it changed every few thousand kms. The main advantage of an after market filter is that you can clean it and re use it when you want.

Also, forget what you do with the Brio. There is absolutely no similarity between your 1300r and the Brio.
Get a k/n or bmc or even a pippercross and when ever you service your bike, clean and recharge the filter.

There are always going to be one off cases where the filter has given away. Happens to the best of products in the world.
I think you are reading to much into it . It should ideally be one of the first changes on a superbike.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd May 2020 at 17:36.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 16:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

With the monsoon and Covid situation the bikes have not left the garage since March this year and I generally start them once a month and ride them inside my society compound.

Thankfully, the factory battery has been performing well and have had no issues yet (touchwood). Since the bike would turn 4 next February, I might have to consider replacing it.

Also, the bike has done 8k on the stock tyres and might need to be replaced next year, depending how many kms I manage to add on.

Normally, I let the bike idle till the time the radiator fan comes on so that the fluids can make a complete cycle.

Some pictures that I clicked today..

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-0e7a38ba46064b89bd112fb6fa609de7.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-98c349b6ca8a47639b398309cdb9776f.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-286efb0b9734427aba95584cf926f4c7.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-7ff524bf1dac43afb283118c44423839.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-0ed7675d4c4d43a282be84dc671d635f.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-a6242431b0724fb18fd15d208bcdbac0.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-a4450f7e100d4f10ad5517bf12ffd30e.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-26e784b3691b4017b62c2349574b81e4.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-0f859591baed4e438ea950885a980254.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-317215a680fc4ec5a56d8e4ac6c7e0b9.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-fe13d3c270f94b60ad635c90652cb3eb.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-2db9718c01234b18ac5e874b2c7164f7.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-bc5f599296e64a29837bed31ca67a230.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-b2a0265141e5493e8c7dec731bb48c9d.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-39fb02b00c6d4bbc8bd21b5ba0e62461.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-06259dee51d847aca884fb0f4d325a59.jpeg

Tire pressure to be maintained along with the brand and model of tire fitted from the factory.

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-925e1af55c5d4d8a96a0d93b534e038b.jpeg

My Suzuki Hayabusa aka Bluebird S12-9531f5a08e3840509f6af0934c622025.jpeg

A video of the TBR Titanium exhaust sound while idling

Old 20th July 2020, 10:23   #44
Team-BHP Support

I'm a bit late to the party but this is one heck of a review thread with so much passion involved from beginning to the end, rated a well deserved 5 stars. Thanks for also updating it frequently and keeping us posted on the service intervals, incidents you faced and the modifications you have done so far . You have an incredible and enviable garage with so many different classics as well, looking forward to many more years of updates on this thread.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I'm a bit late to the party but this is one heck of a review thread with so much passion involved from beginning to the end, rated a well deserved 5 stars. Thanks for also updating it frequently and keeping us posted on the service intervals, incidents you faced and the modifications you have done so far . You have an incredible and enviable garage with so many different classics as well, looking forward to many more years of updates on this thread.
Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed reading it. But, I am sure you have captured more details than I could think off after going through your amazing thread on your Ninja 1000. I think I spent three days on the assembly line and I was just penning down the memories and then fine tuning it down in the end.

If presented with the opportunity do try out riding one and you would be amazed with the engineering Brilliance behind this fat girl. On paper the 268 kgs would feel more than the 235 kgs of the Ninja 1000 but, when your ride it you will understand that these are good kilos and she stays planted without any drama at unimaginable speeds. That is why I had commented on your thread that had you test ridden one maybe we would be reading a fantastic thread on a Busa instead

On my older two stroke girls, well it was just plain luck that I got an opportunity to buy them in the first place. I wanted to buy a RD 350 and I landed up buying these instead. However, sadly I have not been able to do them justice currently by riding them often thanks to work and family commitments. Back in the day I used to do 3k kms every month on my RX that is 12 service a year. That is how I managed to do over 1.5 lac kms till date. but for the fast few years that figure just increase by a few 100 kms
every year.

These old two strokes perform better when ridden often or else the oil just gets collected in the crank case and then you have a smoke gun when you take them out for a spin.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed