Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 14:18   #16
BANNED

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post

I am considering the BMW R90, Ducati Scrambler 1100 and Triumph Scrambler 1200 and some what odd ball MV Brutale and Monster.

Are you looking at new, or are you okay with pre-owned as well?

Practicality wise, nothing comes close to the Monster. Unless you plan to do some mild off-roading, in which case the scrambles make sense. I don't really see the point of buying a scrambler for 100% on road usage.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 17:01   #17
BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Quote:

No definitely not keen on Scramblers and agree about the funky exhaust mounting on the Triumph.

Having said all this, I would use the bike primarily for recreation - short rides, occasional long rides to Ooty etc. and a few track days at MMSC (have walked it but never rode on it). I could probably do away with Track days.

At 5’7” and fairly light sub 60kgs (need to keep in shape or will not fit into my leathers !!) prefer something compact. Non adjustable suspension could be an issue.

I know I am all over the place. With this lock down, it is even worse.
Since you've clarified this, I'd like to add my own experience -

The Triumph Scrambler 1200 is a terrific bike (and a tricky one) if you don't intend to ride with a pillion. I test rode it earlier this year (in Mumbai traffic) and though I was sold on it for everything the one thing that one cannot ESCAPE was the 'engine / exhaust heat'. There are after-market exhaust solutions to tackle the exhaust heat (Sarge from ex-powerdrift has installed it on his test 1200)

On paper and while riding, it is everything that the Tiger offers and more (lighter, lower seat height, tubeless spoke wheels, more power/torque figures, electronics, adjustable suspensions, classic scrambler design aesthetic etc). Its like best of both the worlds - ADV and occasional Commuting. The accessories are minimal with Triumph offering a 'touring accesory kit' which would take care of your planned short / long rides and the occasional off-the beaten path sojourns!

If it wasn't for my 'pillion is must' requirement, this was a bike I'd have gone for.

I mentioned it as a 'tricky bike' because it might not look very appealing in your parking lot or might come across as very 'plain jane' (though its a mammoth when you see it in person); but once you get on it and ride it - you'd know what I'm talking about! I'd suggest you test-ride one before eliminating it as an 'option'.

The other option is what Rachit.K.Dogra suggested - The Street Triple RS. It'll satisfy all your requirements (be it the specifications or your riding style/pattern) and also enable your 'track' aspirations. For your height and body, its a perfect fit. You cannot go wrong!

Ducati Scrambler has quite a stiff suspension and a very 'upright' riding stance. It does get taxing during long rides. The Monster, as someone suggested, is a better option - though I'm not sure if there's a BS6 version launched/upcoming?

It's all but "the perils of being stuck in a lockdown and human mind at play"
TheVaas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 18:09   #18
BHPian

Thanks guys.

1. I added pics to my garage - sorry for the poor SPS pic.

2. I am open to used bikes and not particularly keen on buying new.

3. BMW (r90, scrambler and xr) is definitely of interest based on strong suggestions - esp. if I can get a good deal either new or used - but I need the option to put on a seat that is lower (I saw it is possible as an option)

4. Surprised to hear poor quality on the ZX14R.

5. Triumph has been the most responsive and ST looks interesting

I actually miss these days - sport touring weekends on one of the most comfortable and awesome sounding Ducks..
Attached Thumbnails
BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!-907.jpg  

ksanjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 19:00   #19
BHPian

I don't plan on a taking any pillion rider. Very occasionally on short rides if any. Never liked sitting behind either.
Old 14th May 2020, 19:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't plan on a taking any pillion rider. Very occasionally on short rides if any. Never liked sitting behind either.
Get out there next week and start your test rides at all the showrooms. Once you finalise a bike, look for used options only for that specimen, and simultaneously start negotiations with the dealer.

The important thing is the long test rides and finalising THE bike.

Come back and post your opinions on each of the bikes you test rode along with the dealer experience. Call the dealers directly, or just step into their showroom for immediate attention. No facebook etc.

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th May 2020 at 19:08.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 19:12   #21
BANNED

Quote:

2. I am open to used bikes and not particularly keen on buying new.

There is a used 2016 821 Monster that I was actively considering, before the home minister said we need to put a down payment for a flat. I thought it was a pretty fair price, before the bargaining even started. Its DL registered though. Has about 8K KM. I can PM you the link if you're interested.

Last edited by turbo : 14th May 2020 at 19:19. Reason: Link removed
Old 14th May 2020, 19:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
1. I added pics to my garage
Isn't this an 851 Ducati?
Old 14th May 2020, 19:45   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Isn't this an 851 Ducati?

I think he means here. Its in the "view garage" link under the profile picture.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpic...do=view&g=6977
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:08   #24
BHPian

Haha - the garage pic is an 996 sps and the pic with the tank bag is my former 907 i.e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
There is a used 2016 821 Monster that I was actively considering, before the home minister said we need to put a down payment for a flat. I thought it was a pretty fair price, before the bargaining even started. Its DL registered though. Has about 8K KM. I can PM you the link if you're interested.
Please do...thank you.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th May 2020 at 13:41. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 14th May 2020, 21:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

I ride a zx14r and Harley fatboy. The 14r except the engine is a cheap bike , feels like a chinese bike and wont last. Pathetic suspension, fairing rattles, grips are delicate .

Im 6.2 foot tall and weigh more than 100 kgs, i wouldnt take the tiger or bmw gs offroad in Indian terrain which is unlike Europe. period.
I am aware of 2006/07 model zzr1400's that are running strong with over 60,000 kms clocked and still performing like a locomotive. Regular service, replacing parts at the end of their life cycle and usual engine maintenance is all its asked. Paint and cycle parts have held up brilliantly.

What exactly is wrong with the suspension? It appears you have not set it for your sag and riding style. I am 98 kgs myself and no bike other than the zx14r or the gsx1300r has a more comfortable and compliant ride quality while still allowing you to scrape the pegs.

Also, a fairing does not rattle unless it is not fit properly or something is touching/scraping it. A very easy fix actually once the cause is identified.

Have your bike checked by a garage.

Secondly, most of my riding friends are 6 plus and over 100 kgs. They take their GS's and Tigers regularly to Leh/Ladhak, Bhutan , Nepal etc etc. I am unsure of the correlation between an individuals weight and taking the bike off road. An off road is an off road, India or overseas. If there is a limitation, it is mostly with the skill of the rider.

Last edited by bigron : 14th May 2020 at 22:17.
bigron is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:40   #26
BHPian

Hi Ron, drive train runs strong in the 14r no doubt.

Paint and cycle parts just held up but very cheap quality.

Suspension is set right, problem is it bottoms out , the springs are very soft, i will be upgrading to racetec springs or even better sell this and buy a H2.

Regarding cornering too , it bounces , suspension issue is there on 14r even discussed in other countries, kawasaki has cut corners.

Precisely , for a guy who is short under 5.9 and weighs 70 kgs , the weight of the big adv bike matters. I meant to say with the height a weight advantage i would prefer lighter bikes . There are seasoned exceptions to this rule.

Ladakh is different compared to offroading in south India and other parts of India. we have cramped trails and dense vegetation too.
Old 15th May 2020, 13:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Age is just a no, I know a guy who picked up a S1000RR at 60. I would suggest Ksanjee do a need analysis. The spectrum is so wide that it'll make you go crazy. Bottom down to a category of bike first and then hit the showrooms as the lockdown is over for test rides.

Not necessary what you see on paper is always impressive and to your liking.

I assume you're open to various categories and I personally would suggest a naked if its just short rides for breakfast here and there eg Triumph Street Triple RS is the kicks for starters, new Z900. For touring and weekend getaways an ADV eg New Tiger is impressive, even a pre-worshipped GS would be spectacular. You have to have a liking towards classics and scramblers to keep you entertained else they feel restricted for only a specific category of ride.

This is always the best time when the dreams get exciting. Cherish them and also "when you'll park it, it's going to make your head turn every time you leave your garage"

Happy choosing!

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 15th May 2020 at 13:37.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Moto Guzzi is another bike I love....but simply cannot come to terms with the current design (I am a fan of Daytona 1000
Don't write off the Moto Guzzi, they are great bikes. With the flying V engine, it's, you get a really unique feel.

Agreed its a niche brand, but I've been happy with the service support on mine in Bangalore.

They tend to keep consumables in stock, but other than that all their parts come from Italy so if you need a part it takes between 15-45 days. So that's something to consider.

However, I've had longer wait times for parts from my Harleys and my Kawasaki so generally it's not too bad in comparison.

There are a couple of bikes sitting around with some dealers in India, you should be able to negotiate a really good price on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
From your initial list, I would knock off the MV and Moto Guzzi straight away due to the limited scale of operations in India. The general feedback is that it is tough to get spares and in case of a fall, getting replacement parts will be a nightmare.
MV and Guzzi are different stories in India since Guzzi is part of the Piaggio stable, it's backed by Piaggio, so there is a structure to their India operations. So as long as they keep selling Vespas and those Aprilia scooters you will get service support.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:50   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Age is just a no, I know a guy who picked up a S1000RR at 60.

I assume you're open to various categories and I personally would suggest a naked if its just short rides for breakfast here and there eg Triumph Street Triple RS is the kicks for starters, new Z900. For touring and weekend getaways an ADV eg New Tiger is impressive, even a pre-worshipped GS would be spectacular. You have to have a liking towards classics and scramblers to keep you entertained else they feel restricted for only a specific category of ride.

This is always the best time when the dreams get exciting. Cherish them and also "when you'll park it, it's going to make your head turn every time you leave your garage"

Well Ksanjee has a Ducati 996 at 50+, so he's no less than your friend. Plus this age thing is a very Indian concept. There are plenty of retired blokes on motorcycles in Europe and US.

Again if this was for just short rides, I think both the 996 and the RD 350 would've just done fine.My understanding is that our friend here needs a powerful reliable daily run-about.
And I'm not sure to what extent would a 5'7 sub 60 kg rider handle either the Tiger or the GS1200.
And nothing can turn heads like the 996. Had one on my bedroom growing up.
Old 15th May 2020, 20:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
And I'm not sure to what extent would a 5'7 sub 60 kg rider handle either the Tiger or the GS1200
I’m not sure if you know our fellow BHPian Throttleking. He’s 5’3 and 65 kgs and rides a Benelli 600GT which weighs 243 kgs wet as you would see professionals in a video. As Ron said, the bikes are definitely capable but it’s upto the rider if they can handle them.

Cheers
Amey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks