Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2020, 22:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
And I'm not sure to what extent would a 5'7 sub 60 kg rider handle either the Tiger or the GS1200.
And nothing can turn heads like the 996. Had one on my bedroom growing up.
A 5'7, 60 kg rider will burn the pants of a Tiger or a GS if he has the skill set to ride. The first thing a rider gets used to on a new bike is its weight followed by its power.

I know many who can tame the big ol GS ( the Tiger 800 is a walk in the park with lighter weight and limited power) on trails and hills like there is no tomorrow all while weighing under 60 kgs. Plus most of these adventure tourers mask their weight very well once they are on the move.

So in essence the co-relation is more rider specific rather than weight specific.

The 996 was indeed a head turner and everyone remembers the famous pursuit scene with Trinity riding the 996, but the game has moved on and numerous head turners have arrived since, some suppressing the 996.
But again its such a personal thing what bike poster goes up on ones walls.

Last edited by bigron : 15th May 2020 at 22:23.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 16:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
Hello Ethan - Yes if you can check with them and ask them to get back to me, that would be great.

Thank you
k
I have PM'd you the sales guys number. He said he will check about stock status - he isnt sure whether they have any Scrambler 1100 left to sell.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 07:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Ksanjee, Also look at the R1200R and R1250R. That's a beautiful blend of the retro classic street bike and modern equipment. Its got the water cooled boxer engine and its very reliable. For your 5'7 height, its going to be perfect. I will not discuss the R1200RS here. That is a special bike and you'd not ask anyone if you should go ahead and buy it
I second that opinion. You can even take R1200RS on track. If you are interested in R1200RS, you can get in touch with Kulwant (9619695634). He is based in Bangalore.
On the Move is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 08:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

You should definitely consider a GS. And if you have some doubts about the track day thingy, please have a look at some of the track day videos of the GS on YouTube. It literally is right up there with the Supersport on track days. And wouldn't it be fun seeing a 50 yr old on an adventure bike overtaking a 20 something on a 1000cc Supersport!!
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 18:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Guys -

I am 50+ and some what antiquated in my thinking. I get reminded by my son often.
I am considering the BMW R90, Ducati Scrambler 1100 and Triumph Scrambler 1200 and some what odd ball MV Brutale and Monster.
I want to be able to ride on good roads as well as some questionable roads. ABS is a must. Twin rotors up front very desirable. Seat height not too high. Would be great to hear your thoughts.

@ksanjee, From your needs it looks you are not really looking at a full-on Adv (tall) bike, so I could suggest something thats a little different but it should meet almost all of your requirements and give you loads of fun- The BMW R1200R. I am referring to the pre-2015 model, but the latest generation liquid cooled one is also great with more electronic aides etc if you love them (TheMissendenFlyer has done a lovely review of the newer LC model on YT).

While the GS takes most of the Adv segment limelight, the 1200RT/1600GTL shine in the luxury touring market, the R1200R in my opinion is a very underrated bike from Bavaria. BMW just took that bike and gave it a retro makeover as the R90 and thats now more of a poser bike!

I agree in India for the pre-2015 model of the R1200R you will have to go the pre-owned route and it should be within your budget I presume especially since it is not one of the 'high-profile' BMWs, but I can assure you it rides and handles regular roads (which I am guessing will be 90% of your ride) way better than the first 3 options you have put here with the exception of maybe the hardcore dirt roads.

The reason why I am referring this is I have extensively ridden BMW bikes around the globe from the GS to RT to GTL, but 3 years back on a ride in Japan, the R1200R was the only available rental option and with my wife also riding pillion, and being used to the lavish accommodations on the RT and GS for all the luggage for 8-10 days of riding I wasnt expecting much from the 1200R. But what a ride it was! With the BMW panniers and topbox, it carried all the luggage and for a 6 ft frame of mine, it accommodated me well, so shorter riders should have no problems. I also own a Bonneville A3 and I can tell you the suspension, handling and sitting position of the 1200R was way way ahead of the Bonnie. The front suspension was especially wonderful. Besides, with shaft drive, no chain maintenance etc., and its not a huge monster to gather unwanted attention on the road/parking!

Its a great bike in its stock form, but adding a windshield and panniers transforms it into a brilliant touring bike for 2-up riding also. If you wish, you can see my Japan ride video in my website. The ground clearance though not as much as your scrambler range, it is adequate for our Indian conditions.

Good wishes on your buying decision
Attached Thumbnails
BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!-day3a-50.jpg  

Haroon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 04:13   #36
BHPian

Just buy the one that you most want to look at out of the window at night.

Spec sheets are for dreamers, bikes are about passion and soul.
Rob UK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:22   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I know many who can tame the big ol GS ( the Tiger 800 is a walk in the park with lighter weight and limited power) on trails and hills like there is no tomorrow all while weighing under 60 kgs. Plus most of these adventure tourers mask their weight very well once they are on the move.
I agree with you on most of the above. In fact if you follow Bret Tcaks, he explains the concept of the weightless rider where you don't fight the weight of the bike but find its perfect balance using your skill. (In his training he makes riders do a full walkaround of their ADVs holding diff parts of it just with two fingers as they take a full circle around the bike.

On your GS vs Tiger point though, having ridden both - I'd say the GS 1200 is actually easier to manage once astride even though its heavier. With the low slung boxer engine, the weight distribution is pure magic. The Tiger is and feels more top heavy specially when standstill.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I agree with you on most of the above. In fact if you follow Bret Tcaks, he explains the concept of the weightless rider where you don't fight the weight of the bike but find its perfect balance using your skill. (In his training he makes riders do a full walkaround of their ADVs holding diff parts of it just with two fingers as they take a full circle around the bike.

I think i will sign up for this guy when he is back to India. Its a pity i missed his first one a year back. But sometimes i wonder how much do you actually learn and implement, then remember and practice from a 2 or 3 day program? This stuff gets expensive and pretty quickly.

Pretty annoying that most of us had no access to and never picked up dirt riding when we were kids. Would have been the perfect platform to graduate from.

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th June 2020 at 08:35.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:55   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think i will sign up for this guy when he is back to India. Its a pity i missed his first one a year back. But sometimes i wonder how much do you actually learn and implement, then remember and practice from a 2 or 3 day program? This stuff gets expensive and pretty quickly.

Pretty annoying that most of us had no access to and never picked up dirt riding when we were kids. Would have been the perfect platform to graduate from.
Trust me, a weekend with Bret is absolutely worth it. You will come out with a slightly better understanding of your ADV after a weekend with him. I also think these periodic courses keep drilling in the techniques and then its up to you to keep practising them or internalizing them as you ride. Of course, without doubt, once you've done the session, practice is everything.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 13:08   #40
BHPian

All right guys. Thank you all for your views and suggestions.

I made my decision and picked up a new Harley Davidson 48 Special !

I don't have a lot of rationale for this "unusual" choice. I did look at a few bikes/dealers and Tusker HD in Bangalore, Lavelle Road won me as a customer.

I do love Harleys but did not think I would jump on one at my "young! age" - the scene from the movie "The Road House" when W Garrett pulls into double deuce has inspired me some what (since 90s)

Rode it straight to Mysore on Kanakapura road and it was an absolute blast to ride. I never imagined a bike so stout can be so nimble.

I will post a detailed write up - but wanted to share my decision.

One thing that concerns me is the fact that HD voids warranty if I put on a Vance Hines system - the short shot black pipes look so good. I was told by the dealer that they cannot remap even if I decided to go with Screaming Eagle system from them.

I have attached one pic.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!-hdpic.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th June 2020 at 15:31. Reason: Typo
ksanjee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 13:49   #41
BHPian

Congrats on your new bike! The bike looks stunning! Ultimately buying a new bike is a decision made from the heart and the bike should speak to you. Seems like this bike made a connection with you.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:18   #42
BHPian

Congrats on the new Harley 48, looks lovely in blue with those stock mini apes .
I am getting a 48 this week . This the is last of the evolution engine, long stroke , sounds exactly like a Harley , the best looking in my opinion.

You got a motorcycle which will last decades and is of very high quality and very reliable.

With lot of HARLEY bashing going on , i would say it takes at least 2000 kms ride in any Harley to know it , enjoy , learn to handle it etc. Most people who speak ill just take small test ride, chicken out by the weight , vibration etc.

Harley exhausts are a big market which is useless, you can take out the exhaust mufflers and put an exhaust lolipop, it will sound and perform better than any upgrade. IF your buying a tuner, get the power vision instead of fuelpak.

How is the suspension in the new 48, its improved . Im thinking of upgrading the rear shocks to Roadking 13 inch ones.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
One thing that concerns me is the fact that HD voids warranty if I put on a Vance Hines system - the short shot black pipes look so good. I was told by the dealer that they cannot remap even if I decided to go with Screaming Eagle system from them.

I have attached one pic.

Congratulations on the bike. It looks great.

Technically, HD will void the warranty on engine parts if you fit Vance and Hines on your bike. But I don't know a single person who has had an issue with it.

I have V&H on two bikes and Rineharts on another. I would suggest you don't do anything with the bike till the first service. By then you will also figure out what you actually want on the bike.

For retuning the bike, just buy an FP3, plug it in and run the autotune - its the easiest way to go about it.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Congrats on the new Harley 48, looks lovely in blue with those stock mini apes .

How is the suspension in the new 48, its improved . Im thinking of upgrading the rear shocks to Roadking 13 inch ones.
Thank you Frankenstein.

The suspension is good so far. The rear shock was fully preloaded - so it was tossing me around. I finally found the tool stacked under the seat and backed it out to match my weight. The front did bottom out when I hit a road hump and could not slow down in time. The bracket that holds the side stand spring hits the steep road humps. Has happened a few times already.

In stock trim, I feel it sounds too mellow. I don't like it too loud either.

Yes, I need to ride it for at least a few 100 kilometers before I get a better feel for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Congratulations on the bike. It looks great.

Technically, HD will void the warranty on engine parts if you fit Vance and Hines on your bike. But I don't know a single person who has had an issue with it.

For retuning the bike, just buy an FP3, plug it in and run the autotune - its the easiest way to go about it.
Thank you VellVector.

I am inclining towards V&H after first service and FP3 looks like the most popular/recommended choice for re-map.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th June 2020 at 16:14. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 23:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The front did bottom out when I hit a road hump and could not slow down in time. The bracket that holds the side stand spring hits the steep road humps. Has happened a few times already.
Congrats on the HD @Ksanjee.
Wishing you many many enjoyable miles on the 48.
Harleys are relatively simple machines and they are easy to run and maintain as parts, accessories & aftermarket supplies will always be available. Besides, 20 years later also its still a Harley!

As for the front suspension, a fellow member had put up this below thread sometime back. Subsequently, I also installed the same product on my Triumph Bonneville and it does a wonderful job to firm up things in the front. Not sure if its now available in India so you can order it online from the US or somebody can carry it for you from the US later as its very small. Its an easy install and any good regular mechanic can do it. As for the rear, after a while if you want to change, you could go for Progressive shocks which a lot of Sportster owners upgrade to with good results. I would also recommend you go 1 or 2 inch over standard shock so you will get better ground clearance on our horrendous roads!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...iminators.html (Harley Sportster Front suspension upgrade - RICOR Intiminators)

Last edited by Haroon : 15th June 2020 at 23:25.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks