Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 22:18   #1
BHPian

BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Guys -

I am 50+ and some what antiquated in my thinking. I get reminded by my son often.

I am fairly outdated when it comes to knowledge on what is out there.

I currently own a 2000 996 SPS and an RD350 restored to US Spec

I am considering the BMW R90, Ducati Scrambler 1100 and Triumph Scrambler 1200 and some what odd ball MV Brutale and Monster.

BMW is out since it is ridiculously expensive
MV is out based on price (although I loved the thread about a trip to Himalaya on a MV F4? and yes I did read the sad story as well)

Ducati dealer response from BLR is pathetic.
Triumph has been the best so far

Moto Guzzi is another bike I love....but simply cannot come to terms with the current design (I am a fan of Daytona 1000)

I want to be able to ride on good roads as well as some questionable roads. ABS is a must. Twin rotors up front very desirable. Seat height not too high. Would be great to hear your thoughts.
ksanjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 07:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
Guys -

I am 50+ and some what antiquated in my thinking. I get reminded by my son often.

I want to be able to ride on good roads as well as some questionable roads. ABS is a must. Twin rotors up front very desirable. Seat height not too high. Would be great to hear your thoughts.
Are you only stuck on classic scramblers? Why not something like the BMW S1000XR? Its a super sports bike thats comfortable.

None of the above bikes will be as comfortable as this one for various reasons (wind blast/weather protection/suspension/the crazy high exhaust on the triumph etc).
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 12:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Quote:
I am considering the BMW R90, Ducati Scrambler 1100 and Triumph Scrambler 1200 and some what odd ball MV Brutale and Monster.

BMW is out since it is ridiculously expensive
MV is out based on price (although I loved the thread about a trip to Himalaya on a MV F4? and yes I did read the sad story as well)

Ducati dealer response from BLR is pathetic.
Triumph has been the best so far

Moto Guzzi is another bike I love....but simply cannot come to terms with the current design (I am a fan of Daytona 1000)

ksanjee, I would shortlist by the process of elimination of companies / dealers first and then come down to the bikes. If you could share your approximate annual usage, type of usage (national highways / state highways / offroad), tentative budget and so on, it would help us armchair quarterbacks help you.

From your initial list, I would knock off the MV and Moto Guzzi straight away due to the limited scale of operations in India. The general feedback is that it is tough to get spares and in case of a fall, getting replacement parts will be a nightmare.

Yes, the Ducati dealer in Bangalore can be quite petulant and currently they dont seem to have many (any?) BS6 bikes that can be sold. So your best option there might be to get a dealer registered BS4 bike if any are available. That way you would be a second owner on paper but that should help you wrangle a good deal. I am surprised that as an owner of the 996 SPS, you dont get any love from them but that is the way it is. The Desert Sled seems to be a really good bike if you can lay your hands on it, just try different dealers across India and see if they can delivery it to Bangalore and get it registered for you. The forum's resident Ducati guru is ethanhunt123, Im sure he can help get things moving for you at the Bangalore dealership.

The Triumph Scrambler 1200 is also a really good bike but you are stuck with Bangalore's infamous Triumph service center. Be warned that the heat from the exhausts may be a bit much. The Street Scrambler (smaller engine) is also another option from Triumph, though it may be a bit more street biased.

If you are not stuck on classic scramblers but want some offroading capability, why not the Kawasaki Versys 650 or the Suzuki VStrom 650?

P.S - pictures please of the 2 bikes in your garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Are you only stuck on classic scramblers? Why not something like the BMW S1000XR? Its a super sports bike thats comfortable.
I believe the pricing is similar to the R90 at around Rs 17.5 L ex showroom so that would eliminate the XR as well. The bike has a high CoG, which can catch you off guard as per the feedback from one of the sales guys I spoke to.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th May 2020 at 06:38. Reason: Correcting vstrom 950 to 650
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 18:37   #4
BHPian

Thank you Redliner and Neil.

No definitely not keen on Scramblers and agree about the funky exhaust mounting on the Triumph. I actually like the BMW scrambler's high mount exhaust - looks classy. But BMW's are actually out of my budget.

I am not that much of an adventure tourer - and don't prefer bikes with high CoG - never ridden them before. In fact, a part of me still thinks I have track days left in me! especially when I sat on that ZX10R in Mangalore last year. So, this is going to be even more tricky and I need to hit the reset button in my brain.

I don't want to over think this but definitely want to eliminate bikes/dealers which could represent problems - whether it is spares or service.

So, MotoGuzzi out, VST Ducati is now questionable (I would have expected a response to my EMail and FB message) Neil, my SPS is actually in California in my Sister’s house. The idea is to ride it when I visit - I renewed my CA license finally last Oct. I will put in pics of RD, but believe it or not, I don't have a single decent pic of the SPS !! but will upload what I have !

Having said all this, I would use the bike primarily for recreation - short rides, occasional long rides to Ooty etc. and a few track days at MMSC (have walked it but never rode on it). I could probably do away with Track days.

At 5’7” and fairly light sub 60kgs (need to keep in shape or will not fit into my leathers !!) prefer something compact. Non adjustable suspension could be an issue. Ducati Scrambler 1200 Sport could be a fit.

I know I am all over the place. With this lock down, it is even worse.
ksanjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 19:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, MotoGuzzi out, VST Ducati is now questionable (I would have expected a response to my EMail and FB message) Neil, my SPS is actually in California in my Sister’s house. The idea is to ride it when I visit - I renewed my CA license finally last Oct. I will put in pics of RD, but believe it or not, I don't have a single decent pic of the SPS !! but will upload what I have !
VST has been closed due to lockdown. If you are still interested - i can speak to someone in VST to get back to you. However as Neil mentioned - i am not sure whether they still have any BS6 bikes for sale. They sold off most of their inventory before the lockdown including demo bikes.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 19:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Are you only stuck on classic scramblers? Why not something like the BMW S1000XR? Its a super sports bike thats comfortable
Would second this thought. But if your heart is on the classics then nothing like those. All the best
hareshjethwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 20:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome

I am fifty plus myself and ride a Duke 390. Sometimes I wonder if a Triumph Bonnie might not have been a better choice.

Perhaps you should consider it.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 00:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I know I am all over the place. With this lock down, it is even worse.
Choosing a do it all motorcycle is always a challenge.
In my opinion, there are quite a few good do it all motorcycles and considering you are open to Naked/Retro style bikes with a possible track day, I would recommend a Street Triple RS. There are very few bikes which can as capable and fun both on road and on track while being comfortable as well.

I can recommend the Honda CBR650F as well as it is a pretty good package for a do it all motorcycle with slightly lower after sales costs as well. But it does not come with adjustable suspension. Although with your weight, I don't think you will miss adjusting the suspension on it much. Maybe you can give it a test ride too.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 00:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Guys -

Sounds like Multistrada/Tiger territory, or the VStrom 650 is the lower performance is acceptable. Unless you're still keen in fast and sporty handling bikes, ADV is where you should be best served IMO.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 08:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
VST has been closed due to lockdown. If you are still interested - i can speak to someone in VST to get back to you. However as Neil mentioned - i am not sure whether they still have any BS6 bikes for sale. They sold off most of their inventory before the lockdown including demo bikes.
Hello Ethan - Yes if you can check with them and ask them to get back to me, that would be great.

Thank you
k
Old 14th May 2020, 11:13   #11
BHPian

Triumph quality is top notch, the scrambler 1200 xe is got it all. tremendous torque , top notch suspension, brakes etc. These kawasaki and other Japanese bikes are of an inferior quality built to a cost. Its also light and manageable . The xe has around 250mm suspension travel , the best brembo brakes etc and can sustain a fall unlike the touring ones.

I ride a zx14r and Harley fatboy. The 14r except the engine is a cheap bike , feels like a chinese bike and wont last. Pathetic suspension, fairing rattles, grips are delicate .

The kawasaki versys will feel underpowered for you after riding a 10R.

Im 6.2 foot tall and weigh more than 100 kgs, i wouldnt take the tiger or bmw gs offroad in Indian terrain which is unlike Europe. period.

For the scrambler you can add a wind screen for less wind blast.
Old 14th May 2020, 11:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not that much of an adventure tourer - and don't prefer bikes with high CoG - never ridden them before. In fact, a part of me still thinks I have track days left in me! especially when I sat on that ZX10R in Mangalore last year. So, this is going to be even more tricky and I need to hit the reset button in my brain.

I don't want to over think this but definitely want to eliminate bikes/dealers which could represent problems - whether it is spares or service.

Having said all this, I would use the bike primarily for recreation - short rides, occasional long rides to Ooty etc. and a few track days at MMSC (have walked it but never rode on it). I could probably do away with Track days.

At 5’7” and fairly light sub 60kgs (need to keep in shape or will not fit into my leathers !!) prefer something compact. Non adjustable suspension could be an issue. Ducati Scrambler 1200 Sport could be a fit.
ksanjee, if it is any consolation, you are not the only one here who is contemplating purchasing another bike during these Covid times! That said, it appears as though an all round bike would be more suited to your purpose than just a classic or a scrambler. That opens up a whole host of options for you.

Since you mentioned trackdays, as Rachit.K.Dogra mentioned, the Street Triple RS is the perfect candidate. Its got a comfortable seating position and comes with great equipment as well. The other option is the ZX6R which is a lot more sporty and less all rounded than the Street Triple RS.

If you are not too keen on trackdays and it might be a rare indulgence, the more popular options are the Honda CBR650R, Triumph Street Triple S and the Kawasaki Z900. Maybe it would be worth checking out the Speed Twin as well, if stocks are available but last I heard, they were sold out.

With regard to dealers and spares in Bangalore, Honda owners are the happiest by far. Services are inexpensive and support from Honda is top notch. Triumph Bangalore's service woes have been well detailed on the forum but there seems to be genuine intent to improve things now. Kawasaki seems to have stabilized their service after the split from Bajaj. I dont know too many Ducati owners, except ethanhunt123 and deepfreak15, they seem to be happy but a forum member's friend purchased a bike from another Ducati dealership and got it registered in Bangalore and as a result, the dealer was not supportive when he needed parts which eventually had to be sourced from the Madras dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
On a lighter note, it seems as though only Ducati's sales will be unaffected by the current lockdown
Old 14th May 2020, 11:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I still feel OP should consider the s1000xr/900xr very seriously.

+Power to scare you silly
+Excellent suspension
+Brembo brakes
+Premium touring candidate
+Superb fit and finish as can be expected
+can absolutely do a track day. You won’t look like a chump on it with leathers.
+you can ride it TO the track day
+can take luggage systems and can take your wife along to Goa in absolute comfort
+very difficult to find an upgrade candidate from this bike. You will keep this bike far longer and save depreciation money in swaps
+enough electronics to keep you entertained and safe
+supremely comfortable
+tremendous badge value

-Price

I recommend saving the money and doing this purchase once and for all.
Old 14th May 2020, 11:54   #14

If you're looking at modern classics, you should definitely consider the Triumph Speed Twin. Its drop dead gorgeous and if the ride reports are anything to go by its a hoot to ride.
Old 14th May 2020, 14:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Guys -

I currently own a 2000 996 SPS and an RD350 restored to US Spec

Ksanjee, those two bikes are immortal and require a lot more maintenance and care in the ownership experience. I'd say they are lovely for short rides and bursts of accelerations.

I have had a CBR 1000F, an RD 350, RX 135 5 sp and a Triumph Bonneville A3 - so I know how pleasurable the classic heritage bike trip is. I am also aware of the pains it takes to keep them in a shape that they deserve to be in.

Couple of years back, I sold all of them to get an R1200GS. I realized I was busy maintaining them than riding them. The GS is also a classic bike with history and heritage - but its the Land Rover of two wheels. It can literally take you anywhere and while my work and other life commitments do not allow such exploration, I am assured the bike isn't the limiting factor. I couldn't have been happier with the decision.

Only you can decide whether you want to stay with classic bikes which come with heritage or you want a practical bike where you forget what vehicle you are riding and just focus on the ride(s).
Would like to know if you are OK with buying pre-owned bikes? Also what time frame are you looking at for the purchase? What is the budget? Maybe I missed answers to these questions, so I apologize in advance for asking them again.

I will give you one very strong suggestion - please ride the bikes a good distance in your full gear before you finalize them.

From Triumph you could consider the 1200 Scrambler / Speed twin. The smaller capacity bikes may not give you the rush and torque. New Tiger also is a nice option.

BMW - please look at the 750/850 GS. BMW are having a few bikes which they are keen to move from their floors and they will offer great deals on BS IV machines.
Also look at the R1200R and R1250R. That's a beautiful blend of the retro classic street bike and modern equipment. Its got the water cooled boxer engine and its very reliable. For your 5'7 height, its going to be perfect. I will not discuss the R1200RS here. That is a special bike and you'd not ask anyone if you should go ahead and buy it
The R90 is glorious and the most beautiful bike which they make. There are a few R90 owners in Pune and their feedback is after 200-250 km, their back hurts.
It is a bike you should buy if you are happy to keep it in your living room and want it for a long time. I am sure you'll enjoy it on a track, but its not a track focussed bike plus if it falls, you'll be really unhappy.
The XRs (1000 and 900) are excellent bikes for fast touring, but get them only after riding them and if you really like them.
Regarding pricing, don't go by BMW's advertised prices as cast in stone. They negotiate.
There are a few pre-owned bikes out there which may be worthwhile the money.

Ducati - I have never owned them so my knowledge about them is limited. However I feel the scrambler is not that comfortable a bike for long distances and you gotta be OK with it heating up in city traffic. Same for the Triumph Scrambler.
The Multistrada is a nice option and please test drive it for some good distance to be able to shortlist it.

Guzzi - I dont know. I have been a lifelong Guzzi fan, but it would not be in my top 5 bikes. If I ever am rich enough to have 10 odd bikes, Guzzi would be my # 11.

Other bikes which you could consider
1. Aprilia Caponord
2. Kawasaki - Versys 1000 / Ninja 1000
3. Suzuki - V strom or maybe a wild card - Hayabusa
4. Honda - CBR 650 and Africa Twin

Overall in that price segment, there are no wrong choices - just different ones so you can't go wrong. Good luck.

Please do post photos of your RD and the Ducati. Those are really beautiful bikes.
nitrogary is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks