Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:11   #31
BHPian

re: Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold

How does this bike compare to Ninja 1000 since the 0-100 pickup and top speed are quite close? Fuel economy in CBR is definitely a plus.
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:39   #32
BHPian

re: Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post

What's your next upgrade? Africa Twin?
Thank you, Anshuman! Currently very happy with the CBR! Let's see what the future holds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Very nice and congratulations. The 650 is a very sweet spot for superbikes especially in India and kudos for sticking to a 4 instead of a twin.

Have you done any track days? and I really recommend that you do get some track days.

I also suggest you go in for more trustworthy gear.
You don't mention if you've had any falls and it sure doesn't look like and I commend your riding, but the gear you have listed is more for city runs and smaller output bikes.
Thank you! The CBR hasn't been to the track yet. Some day soon.

And luckily I haven't had a crash on the CBR. *Touchwood*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post

2. Do chain sprockets last THAT long on a 650? I need to change my bike's at 15k and I have a 400 Also, excellent life of tyres shows your riding style and care for bike.

4. Lastly, I wish that you could keep this for as long as you want. But, any plans of selling it anytime soon ?

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the kind words, amods!

I am quite particular about chain maintenance and lube the chain every 500 km usually. A thorough chain clean and lube happens every 1000 - 1500 km and/or after wet rides.

With regard to riding style, I am a big fan of 'Mechanical Empathy' and this has a big influence on my riding/driving style. I also get a kick out of getting a long life out of wear n tear parts. In case you haven't read this - Link (ARTICLE: Mechanical Empathy | Preserving the Car While Driving)

And no, not selling anytime soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Thank you for a detailed and well written thread. You commented briefly in passing that riding the bike in city traffic was a passable experience. Mentioning that it was not as hot as the KTM 390. However, given the weight and height of the bike (I'm fairly short at just over 5'5"), would appreciate a little more color on how the bike is to ride and handle in Bumper 2 Bumper Bangalore Traffic.
I think you won't have an issue with your height on this bike. You will also get used to the weight of the bike as you put some miles on it. However, to be honest, if you intend to use this every day to commute, I don't think both you and the bike will enjoy it. You might initially do it until the euphoria of the new purchase dies down and you realize that you will be much more comfortable on a 100-150CC bike.

Since this is a relatively lower compression engine, it will run cooler than a high compression engine like a Duke. Even the heat management system is better. However, there will still be heat felt especially in B2B traffic if you're stuck for longer periods. Also, the fact that you can't have your feet off the ground consistently in traffic means your body weight will be on your wrists and palms for longer periods, adding to the discomfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Excellent thread Suhas ! You are one of the motivators to use the bike how its supposed to be used :-) Hope you clock many more miles on it.
Thank you, Mihir! Let's catch up on a ride, it's been a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Beautifully Written thread brother!! Of all the CBR owners that I have had the opportunity to interact with or read their experiences, everybody comes out positive with the overall ownership experience. If one thing Honda India has done good about it, is they have made sure the ownership remains pleasant.

Really happy to see the number of happy miles you have had on her. Wishing you many more!!

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Thank you, Rachit! Indeed, I see many bikes in Bangalore too that have clocked a good amount of miles with happy owners.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 2nd June 2020 at 10:02.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:01   #33
BHPian

Great write up Suhas.
As rightly mentioned by a fellow enthusiast, kudos to your efforts of making 40k on the odo.

Triggers a solid thought this side to think about a Honda.
Let's see what future has in store.
avinashsg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Suhas - a well written and presented thread and hope it would become an inspiration for many more superbikes to be used by their owners the way it is meant to be used and not as "show pieces".

Hats of to your book keeping. App or no app I really appreciate you efforts of keeping track of the out go. Wish I could do that (then again I don't want "certain persons" in my life to accidentally find out my out go over last 42 years.

Keep it up man - Covid over we shall ride again. I feel a certain urgency now more than ever

Best Regards & Ride Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby_great View Post
How does this bike compare to Ninja 1000 since the 0-100 pickup and top speed are quite close? Fuel economy in CBR is definitely a plus.
I haven't ridden the N1000 much. What I know is that both being sport-tourers, the ergonomics, engine characteristics will be similar. The Ninja looks better, has more electronic aids and of course more power and should be a 'logical' upgrade to the 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashsg View Post
Great write up Suhas.
As rightly mentioned by a fellow enthusiast, kudos to your efforts of making 40k on the odo.

Triggers a solid thought this side to think about a Honda.
Let's see what future has in store.
Avinash, thank you for the kind words and good to see your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Suhas - a well written and presented thread and hope it would become an inspiration for many more superbikes to be used by their owners the way it is meant to be used and not as "show pieces".

Hats of to your book keeping. App or no app I really appreciate you efforts of keeping track of the out go. Wish I could do that (then again I don't want "certain persons" in my life to accidentally find out my out go over last 42 years.

Keep it up man - Covid over we shall ride again. I feel a certain urgency now more than ever

Best Regards & Ride Safe
Ram Sir, thank you! I do connect with the certain persons bit, thankfully and luckily my 'certain person' is a converted enthusiast too, so I'm still alive and kicking

And yes, looking forward to ride along, with the necessary precautions, of course!
Old 6th June 2020, 19:01   #36
BHPian

What a lovely review of a lovely bike!

I remember reading the independent travelogue/ride log posts that you've posted earlier elsewhere in the forum. Those used to make for some great reading as well.

I have just one question - how do you manage to extract so many kilometers out of the tires? Do let us in on that secret.

Wishing you infinite safe and happy rides in the future.

PS: one does wonder what kind of mileage you'd put in on the Africa Twin, considering the 40k+ on the 650F.

Last edited by GoBlue : 6th June 2020 at 19:05.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

I have just one question - how do you manage to extract so many kilometers out of the tires? Do let us in on that secret.
Thanks bud! Well, I'd tell you if there's a secret, but there's none at all. I just ensure I check the tyre pressure diligently especially if the bike's been parked for more than 6 days. The Michelin PR4s and now the Road5s are known to last well usually. The Pirelli Angel GT, which is another popular option, lasts about 12-14k as far as I have seen.
Old 8th June 2020, 09:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The Pirelli Angel GT, which is another popular option, lasts about 12-14k as far as I have seen.
Angel GT is as good as PR4/PR5 in terms of longevity. Of course the overall feedback is that PR4/PR5 has slightly more longevity. I had Angel GT on my Ninja 650. There was no sign of squaring off even after 14000 kms. It had some more life left for another 5000 to 6000 kms. As you said, the stock Dunlop tyres (OEM tyres for both CBR650/Ninja 650) last for only 12000kms.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 21:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Angel GT is as good as PR4/PR5 in terms of longevity.
I have seen a slightly different experience on 2 CBRs around me with the Angel GTs, Nedu. Once these tyres cross 12-14k as I said above, their rate of deterioration is very fast. A couple of friends who were riding to Nepal (Both CBR650Fs and both on Angel GTs covered around 11k when their ride started) experienced multiple punctures en route. Basically, the center tread became so soft that even small pebbles on the road started causing punctures. The threshold from these experiences seems to be around that mark.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Angel GT is as good as PR4/PR5 in terms of longevity. Of course the overall feedback is that PR4/PR5 has slightly more longevity. I had Angel GT on my Ninja 650. There was no sign of squaring off even after 14000 kms. It had some more life left for another 5000 to 6000 kms. As you said, the stock Dunlop tyres (OEM tyres for both CBR650/Ninja 650) last for only 12000kms.
I had milked my stock dunlops for 24000kms. I did a ride to goa and back at 20000kms without any puncture or skidding issues. Needless to say the grip in the corners was quite bad. Would not recommend for aggressive riders
punterccrx8s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:56   #41
BHPian

A bit of relaxation in the lockdown and life gradually limping back to normal meant I could take the bike out on a couple of small spins after a while with a few friends. This also meant 'BYOB' has picked up a completely different meaning post COVID, where the 'B' now stands for 'Breakfast'

On the bike front, the OPT7 LED bulb which was half-blind for a while with only high beam working, went completely blind recently. It lasted about 3 years and about 30,000 km. Not great life I'd say. I have currently switched over to a Philips Xtremevision Halogen bulb, while I decide how much to invest in Aux lights and where to mount them. Meanwhile, the bike crossed 41k on the odo on one of these morning spins.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-5.jpg

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-3.jpg

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg
Added_flavor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:27   #42
BHPian

While I had initially added a few more pictures to the opening posts of this thread, for some reason I decided to remove them before publishing. Now with not many rides happening, the best thing to do is look at the older pictures and relive all those wonderful rides! Also, the thread doesn't have enough pictures of all the travels I have done on the Ceeber. So, here goes.. in no particular order.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg
Posing with a few friends in a resort in Chikmagalur.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg
A random breakfast ride.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-3.jpg
Monsoon, friends and bikes = Nirvana!

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-4.jpg
Somewhere between Phuentsholing and Paro - Bhutan.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-5.jpg
With Bhpian friends at Coorg.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-6.jpg
On the Rann of Kutch near Khadir Bet - Gujarat.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-7.jpg
On the Rann of Kutch near Khadir Bet - Gujarat.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-8.jpg
Somewhere b/w Yellapur and Ankola on the way to Goa.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-9.jpg
I and ceeber experience snow for the first time - Paro, Bhutan.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-10.jpg
Snowman made by the kids at the resort.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-11.jpg
With the owner of Dharma resort - A memorable stay in Paro.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-12.jpg
A glimpse of the snow-capped mountains - At Dochula pass, Bhutan

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-13.jpg
At the land's end - Dhanushkodi, TN.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-kk.jpg
Along with the numerous windmills in Kanyakumari.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-kutch-festival.jpg
At the entrance of Kutch festival - Gujarat.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-rajasthan.jpg
Posing with the camels - On the way to Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-suvarna-soudha.jpg
Posing in front of Suvarna Soudha, Belgavi.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-sharks-2.jpg
A big group ride with the Honda KA group - Find my bike

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-eastern-india.jpg
Riding through eastern India was an experience in itself!

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-jharkand-cold.jpg
Somewhere in Jharkand - Riding through the biting cold.

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-mt-abu.jpg
At the foothills of Mt. Abu - RJ

Pragmatism in the world of bling: The story of my Honda CBR650F. EDIT: Now sold-siblings.jpg
In the company of the younger siblings of the Honda family - At Jailsalmer.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 13th July 2020 at 14:34.
Added_flavor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 16:17   #43
Team-BHP Support

What a fantastic write-up with complete review and full coverage of detailed maintenance costs! This thread should be a one-stop reference for CBR650F owners and 650R aspirants. I'm a tad bit late here since I just got back to the forum only yesterday, but better late than never

Your ownership thread along with the superb travels (and travelogues) riding to the corners of the country are an inspiration to many big bike riders to use their vehicles well and do justice to the mean machines. Keep the updates coming! Hope to catch up on some ride after things start opening up for good, its been a long time
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 11:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Very well detailed write up Suhas. This covid has bought out good amount of ownership reviews to the site. And also i can say pretty much that i have travelled along with this bike for almost 60-70% of the miles it has munched so far.
rk_sans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Keep the updates coming! Hope to catch up on some ride after things start opening up for good, its been a long time
Thank you Karthik for the kind words! We should indeed ride once things get better. Till then will wait for your another high-quality ownership thread and keep myself engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Very well detailed write up Suhas. This covid has bought out good amount of ownership reviews to the site. And also i can say pretty much that i have travelled along with this bike for almost 60-70% of the miles it has munched so far.
Thank you, saar! Good to see you active here again.

Of course, with all the travelling we've done together over the last 2-3 years, my Ceeber has been in the company of your beast(s) for a majority of its life. Looking forward to many more!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks